Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:58   #1
BHPian

Standard Herald 1967

After several months of persuation, requests and arguments I finally got this car out of the clutches of a kabadi in Kanpur.
And finally today on the 22nd March 2010 my Standard Herlad arrived at my place. I am too excited to start the restoration job and would request all you people to help me source the parts and information.
Here is how it looks!
Attached Thumbnails
Standard Herald 1967-img_1839.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_1840.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2011.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2012.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2013.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd March 2010 at 12:05. Reason: Please post in relevant sub forum. Thanks
damasthebiker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:28   #2
BANNED

Congratulations!

You can now expect STANHER to take over this thread from here.

If its a true convertible, you must be a lucky chap.

Best of luck in your restoration.
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:57   #3
BHPian

Thanks a lot.

I dont think it is a true covertible, I guess it too came with removable hard top. As far as I am informed they never produced convertibles in India. Thats what my father told me. He used to own one in the late seventies(when I wasnt even born) as a matter of fact it was his first car, this was also one of the reasons why I was so keen in getting my hands on this car.

I just checked out the "Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher" thread and was really amazed to see how much pain Stanher is taking to restore his car and the determination he has towards it. Although I dont know who he is(sorry but I am quite new to Team-Bhp so I dont know a lot of people here).

BTW why is this car called "Stanher", is it because its pronouced so in south India? In north India(or around the place where I come from) it is called "Herald".

@ Stanher : Hi, please help me out with sorcing parts. Someone told me that it is easier to get herald´s parts in south india. Ones you confirm I will send you my LONG list ;-)
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:12   #4
BHPian

Hey Pawan, I forgot to congratulate you on your superbly done Beetle!
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasthebiker View Post

I just checked out the "Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher" thread and was really amazed to see how much pain Stanher is taking to restore his car and the determination he has towards it. Although I dont know who he is(sorry but I am quite new to Team-Bhp so I dont know a lot of people here).
Stanher (Shyam) is the GURU of Standard cars. He and Karlosdeville are the Indian Correspondents of Standard Motor Club, UK. (Shyam, correct me if I am wrong!)

Stanher is also known for saving many Standard and Fiat cars from being scrapped!

Quote:
BTW why is this car called "Stanher", is it because its pronouced so in south India? In north India(or around the place where I come from) it is called "Herald".
Stanher means Standard Herald! Stanher is Stanher's favorite car!

Last edited by arun1100 : 22nd March 2010 at 14:16.
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:26   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After several months of persuation, requests and arguments I finally got this car out of the clutches of a kabadi in Kanpur.
And finally today on the 22nd March 2010 my Standard Herlad arrived at my place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
If its a true convertible, you must be a lucky chap.
Quote:
I dont think it is a true covertible, I guess it too came with removable hard top. As far as I am informed they never produced convertibles in India. Thats what my father told me. He used to own one in the late seventies(when I wasnt even born) as a matter of fact it was his first car, this was also one of the reasons why I was so keen in getting my hands on this car.
I just checked out the "Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher" thread and was really amazed to see how much pain Stanher is taking to restore his car and the determination he has towards it.

@ Stanher : Hi, please help me out with sorcing parts. Someone told me that it is easier to get herald´s parts in south india. Ones you confirm I will send you my LONG list ;-)
*Sorry, tried replying earlier today but first had powercut, then my net conked out!! *
Anyways, congrats on your purchase damas! Welcome aboard, glad I'm having more company now! Hehe! I hope we get to meet many more standard fans in the country!
Your car is a STANDARD HERALD MARK2, the flat bootlid came on the late 60s models like these. Roof C-pillar too was in a different (broader) design, although dimensions same as earlier roofs.
And no pavan, this car is NOT a true convertible by any means- in fact as damas says, there is no evidence that they ever came as OE convertibles in India. In the UK, yes. Coming to that, damas- didnt the scrapwala provide you the roof as well? If not, I hope you had him give you a discount for the missing roof!
I suspect this car was in use as one of those baraat cars on hire. We used to see these around even here in hyd. until a decade ago.
But yours is still quite complete and decent, requiring mostly more TLC. Interesting name on the 'Standard' bonnet badge btw! 'glad they put "playboy" there! Hehe!
Incidentally, in the event of the roof being missing, it could also be made into an original type convertible, if done properly by a proper person.
There is one older (mk1) Herald in Jaipur that was done up this way, it was also red. The owner was a team bhpian when he had the car, it looks like it has changed hands since though.
Thanks for your kind words on my thread (it is Not my Herald though)
'hope to help you out as much as possible. BTW, how about some interior pics. of the car?
Oh, and rest assured- as arun says, the name is indeed Herald (although mostly pronounced 'herawld/heraald!') everywhere in the country! StanHer is a name I coined out of the full name for my ID!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Stanher (Shyam) is the GURU of Standard cars. He and Karlosdeville are the Indian Correspondents of Standard Motor Club, UK. (Shyam, correct me if I am wrong!)
Thanks arun! Yes, I'm a member of the SMC but they dont deal with Heralds- that's only by the Triumph Sports Six Club, also in UK. Plus point here is that unlike in SMC, even non-members can purchase parts.

Looking forward to seeing more of your car. Keep it up!

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd March 2010 at 20:40.
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:19   #7
BHPian

Whatever he had was this car in this state(as you can see in these pics which I clicked in Kanpur).
-It had no roof,
- no spare wheel(probably he sold it already)
- both the doors´chrome stripes are missing,
- no keys,
- etc. etc.
I shall post detailed pics by tomorrow.

Actually, I came across this car when I had gone to the Scrape market in Kanpur to source parts for my vintage/classic motorcycles(I have a couple of them). It was parked infront this scrapwala´s shop. I stopped and enquired, to that he said it was already sold when I enquired again after a few days through some other person he said it was to be scrapped and only few of its parts were only sold the third time when I enquired from yet another source he said it was not for sale and that somebody had sent it there in order to source the missing parts. Later I got really upset and went to Kanpur again, this time, with an influential guy of that area. The scrapwala then gave in and said he had picked up this car from a retired judge in Kanpur, his son had done up this car in around 1995 when he was studying in college now that the son was no more in Kanpur and working somewhere else he had disposed it off. Scrapwala finally admitted that he had bought it as scrap vehicle without documents.

I somehow managed to get him to sell the car and then began a new chapter of getting the documents updated and the car transferred in my name, inspite of promising him for the asked amount he would not let know the address of the judge and insisted that he would get the documents updated and transferred himself(probably he did not wanted me to know how he paid for the "scrap"). It took almost 3 months and I was running out of my nerves I had a couple of heated arguments with this "gentleman" and the deal was almost coming to a fallout when I asked him to give my advance back, I lied to him that I did not need the car anymore as I had found another one which was in a better shape and had no issues with the documents. He asked me for one more week and to my delight I got a call from him the second day itself the documents were ready and I could pick up the car on paying the balance amount.

So this is it for the history and now its here parked nicely infront of my house waiting to roar again!!!
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:08   #8
BHPian

Hi Stanher, you told me that mine is a MARK II, but I found a few pictures where the boot is different than mine see the picture of the blue car(it is also badged MARK II) - Is there a possibility that mine is a MARK III. I m also confused about head light, parking light and indicator light placement and types there are few pictures attached please let me know which is the correct one.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Standard Herald 1967-hl1.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-hl2.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-hl3.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-b1.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-b2.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2010, 16:05   #9
BHPian

Hi stanher, do you also have few pics of the jaipur herald? if yes pls post them.
Old 24th March 2010, 00:37   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
-It had no roof,
- no spare wheel(probably he sold it already)
- both the doors´chrome stripes are missing,
- no keys,
- etc. etc.
I shall post detailed pics by tomorrow.
Sure, do! BTW, what do you refer to as 'chrome stripes'?? Do you mean the slim pattis/trims on either side? If so, the one on the driver's door is very much intact, only the one on the bonnet side isnt. 'havent seen the left side pics. though.
These pattis are not chrome but came initially in stainless steel, then aluminium on the later, 'indianised' versions like the mk2/mk3. If yours has stainless steel ones though, treat it as a bonus! They are much better in quality.

Quote:
So this is it for the history and now its here parked nicely infront of my house waiting to roar again!!!
Great, glad you were eventually able to save the car! What is the status of the papers (fitness, tax etc.?)

Quote:
you told me that mine is a MARK II, but I found a few pictures where the boot is different than mine see the picture of the blue car(it is also badged MARK II) - Is there a possibility that mine is a MARK III.
Yours is very much a MARK 2. Mark 3 came with only 4 DOORS.
See, the mark II/2 came in 2 (or 3) different body styles, the basic body remaining the same. The bootlid was originally as on the blue car you posted, when the mk 2 came out in 1966. Then a year or so later, it was changed to the flat type minus the recess. Here is a pic. of one such car (that was in Hyd. and was for sale then, now in Bombay and in a terrible state I'm told!)
The mark II badge btw, is shared with the Amby Mk2, so not too difficult to get!

Standard Herald 1967-img_1954.jpg

Then following this, maybe a year further, the roof design too was changed (see pics.), with the C-pillars being made broader (and less sleek IMHO) Actually my guess is that this was the time when the 4-door Herald a.k.a mk3 was introduced (only for India), so while they didnt choose to discontinue the existing 2-door at once, they had some body panels (ie. the roof and bootlid, even the dash) shared between these 2 models, most likely to cut costs!
This probably explains this weird design transition.

Standard Herald 1967-ch-2321.jpg

Standard Herald 1967-mk2sec.jpg

Standard Herald 1967-mk3rood.jpg

Quote:
I m also confused about head light, parking light and indicator light placement and types there are few pictures attached please let me know which is the correct one.
The one on the blue car (and the golden coloured car) you posted is the original arrangement, supposed to be 1 large orange indicator and a much smaller white one on either side with a mounting plate- only the blue car has the smaller one replaced with a square one from a padmini perhaps. Here are frontal pics. of 2 mk2s showing the original indicator lights, but neither too clear. 'hope it helps.

Standard Herald 1967-mk2blue.jpg

Standard Herald 1967-dsc007291.jpg

Quote:
do you also have few pics of the jaipur herald? if yes pls post them.
Here they are. These were posted by the then owner last year:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1084235-post1.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1183336-post726.html

And here is the same car (RSL 342) more recently, a couple of months ago:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1732314-post11.html

As you can see, the car was painstakingly done up by the then owner, especially the convertible top; the dash being primarily the only non-original element. It was earlier a creamy white with a maroon stripe and you may remember was put up for sale in Auto India many years ago. But he then decided to retain the car and got her done up in this lovely red hue! I dont know what made him sell it the second time, but I wish the present owner had atleast retained the colour and interior!

Last edited by Stanher : 24th March 2010 at 00:40.
Old 24th March 2010, 00:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, I came across this car when I had gone to the Scrape market in Kanpur to source parts for my vintage/classic motorcycles(I have a couple of them).!!!
What motorcycles? what motorcycles?
Congrats on the car
Old 24th March 2010, 12:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
What motorcycles? what motorcycles?
Congrats on the car
Hi,
I have the followings motorcycles:

Triumph Twin 350cc 1946
BSA M20 500cc 1942
Triumph 3HW 350cc 1942
Triumph 3HW 350cc 1943
BSA BB31 350cc 1950
BSA ZB31 350cc 1952 (Bigger Head) Civilian Model
James Villiers 125cc Hand Gear 1948(civil model)
Matchless G3L 350cc 1946
Execlsior 125cc
Royal Enfield Insign 125cc
Royal Enfield G Model 350 cc 1954
Rajdoot GTS 175cc 1980
Rajdoot GTS 175cc 1982
Yamaha RD 350 HT 1986
Yamaha RD 350 LT 1987
Yezdi Colt 60cc 1980
Yezdi Twin 350 cc 1987 (Jawa Engine)
Royal Enfield Machismo 350cc 1996
Yamaha Trail 125 Dirt Bike 1978(Japan import)

All in running condition and most of them restored!!
Old 24th March 2010, 12:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Sure, do! BTW, what do you refer to as 'chrome stripes'?? Do you mean the slim pattis/trims on either side? If so, the one on the driver's door is very much intact, only the one on the bonnet side isnt. 'havent seen the left side pics. though.
These pattis are not chrome but came initially in stainless steel, then aluminium on the later, 'indianised' versions like the mk2/mk3. If yours has stainless steel ones though, treat it as a bonus! They are much better in quality.

Yes I mean the slim pattis - it just look like that in the photo that the patti is there but it isnt.

Great, glad you were eventually able to save the car! What is the status of the papers (fitness, tax etc.?)

All perfect valid until 2015.

Yours is very much a MARK 2. Mark 3 came with only 4 DOORS.
See, the mark II/2 came in 2 (or 3) different body styles, the basic body remaining the same. The bootlid was originally as on the blue car you posted, when the mk 2 came out in 1966. Then a year or so later, it was changed to the flat type minus the recess. Here is a pic. of one such car (that was in Hyd. and was for sale then, now in Bombay and in a terrible state I'm told!)
The mark II badge btw, is shared with the Amby Mk2, so not too difficult to get!

Attachment 314289

Then following this, maybe a year further, the roof design too was changed (see pics.), with the C-pillars being made broader (and less sleek IMHO) Actually my guess is that this was the time when the 4-door Herald a.k.a mk3 was introduced (only for India), so while they didnt choose to discontinue the existing 2-door at once, they had some body panels (ie. the roof and bootlid, even the dash) shared between these 2 models, most likely to cut costs!
This probably explains this weird design transition.

I dont intend to put the roof anyways, i would try to make it convertible as the jaipur one.

Attachment 314290

Attachment 314291

Attachment 314292

The one on the blue car (and the golden coloured car) you posted is the original arrangement, supposed to be 1 large orange indicator and a much smaller white one on either side with a mounting plate- only the blue car has the smaller one replaced with a square one from a padmini perhaps. Here are frontal pics. of 2 mk2s showing the original indicator lights, but neither too clear. 'hope it helps.

Attachment 314293

Attachment 314294
So this arrangement(red car below) in the attached pic is also wrong!? there has to be one big indicator and one small parking on either side.

Here they are. These were posted by the then owner last year:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1084235-post1.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1183336-post726.html

And here is the same car (RSL 342) more recently, a couple of months ago:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1732314-post11.html

As you can see, the car was painstakingly done up by the then owner, especially the convertible top; the dash being primarily the only non-original element. It was earlier a creamy white with a maroon stripe and you may remember was put up for sale in Auto India many years ago. But he then decided to retain the car and got her done up in this lovely red hue! I dont know what made him sell it the second time, but I wish the present owner had atleast retained the colour and interior!
Mind blowing restoration!
Attached Thumbnails
Standard Herald 1967-hl4.jpg  

Old 24th March 2010, 13:06   #14
BHPian

Sorry I forgot the BSA C11 250cc 1954
Old 24th March 2010, 13:33   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, the rectangular one on the red car you posted is wrong as well, seems to be a mk1 or fiat sidelight.

With the roof missing, you'd be left with no choice but to make it a convertible!

But I can help you with pics./diagrams, apart from that of the jaipur car, so you will have the right idea.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks