Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2010, 21:18   #46
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by classico View Post
what a pity!!! it must have been really frustrating to have a dead battery when you have paid lakhs to buy a restored car especially as a present.
Good to have you back on the forum

We were informed it is a brand new battery, but mfgd in 2008 should be old right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
This is a common thing for a CLASSIC car owner!

"jeena isi ka naam hai" Aal izz well!
Ha ha... correctly said.

Presently Srisha is waiting near Manyata tech park, any BHP'ians can meet him untill my tinker goes there to tow the car back.

Good this happened, since we were able to diagonise 2 main issues.

1) Bad battery / bad electricals
2) Front Brakes smoking a bit, needs adjustments.

But i pity Srisha, poor guy, is not able to get his Present even after a week. Sorry Buddy.
Old 27th March 2010, 22:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

We were informed it is a brand new battery, but mfgd in 2008 should be old right.

Ha ha... correctly said.

Presently Srisha is waiting near Manyata tech park, any BHP'ians can meet him untill my tinker goes there to tow the car back.

But i pity Srisha, poor guy, is not able to get his Present even after a week. Sorry Buddy.
This is part and parcel of any old car. Until the new owner gets familiar with the car and vice versa. Once a real bond is formed, troubles vanish

I am sure Srisha would take this positively. The more he waits, the more fruitful
Old 28th March 2010, 01:35   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classico View Post
what a pity!!! it must have been really frustrating to have a dead battery when you have paid lakhs to buy a restored car especially as a present.
I feel that when you own a classic car, these are some of the things that you need to get used, and not to loose patience.

Knowing that this car was not used much after restoration, i think we need to give it some time to settle in. We need to give it some time and I am sure there will be more unforeseen issues that may come up and I am ready to take them.
Old 28th March 2010, 07:15   #49
Senior - BHPian

srisha first and foremost congratulations on your new acquisition. I remember this car pretty well since it was discussed on this forum about 2 years back or so. You know, its unparalleled joy when your loved one gifts you something you have been looking for long.
pavan good on you man, nice to help someone realize his dream .

Quote:
Originally Posted by srisha View Post
I feel that when you own a classic car, these are some of the things that you need to get used, and not to loose patience.
Exactly !! With such priceless machinery(on a personal opinion) your patience levels reaches new heights.
Old 28th March 2010, 10:46   #50
BHPian

So thats why i could see 2 guys standing and staring at the car on ring raod last night.. I was too busy admiring the car while going past! Shes real pretty!
Old 28th March 2010, 11:29   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Just when we thought we had solved all the issues with the car, we have a new problem on hand.

The car was almost ready to be driven home by srisha by around 6:30 pm today.

1) Nose cone gear box bedding cut, solved it temporarily
2) Battery which as per the seller was new is not holding charge

The worst thing is, I literally pushed Srisha to drive it home, but 15 kms later the car refuses to start. Problem - Dead Battery
Quote:

Ha ha... correctly said.

These are some of the issues, that i am seeing in the car -

1. Cannot release the clutch in first gear, the car just doesnt move. I have to take it in second gear and release extremely slowly. This is a major problem if you are climbing a steep. And this is exactly what happened, in one of the signals I had to take her in second gear and she refused to climb and stopped and didnt start after which is now the second issue -

2. Battery doesnt hold on to the charge, It is good as long as it is driving once stopped you need to jump start. I was also told that this was a new battery,

3. Smokes from the rear tyres and from the engine bay. Looks like it is overheating and i could feel the heat inside the car as well. It smells like burnt engine oil, and you can see it fuming when stopped and there is smoke all over the rear end of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
So thats why i could see 2 guys standing and staring at the car on ring raod last night.. I was too busy admiring the car while going past! Shes real pretty!
ahh, we spent an hour on the road last night in that traffic and people stopping by to see the car and enquiring. I tried to use some people to push start the car, since it was a little steep couldnt push as well. Then we tried taking it in reverse gear and thats when the accelerator pedal also gave in and slipped from the clip. Now there is no way we could jump start and had to be towed, after waiting for some more time, we had the guys from the garage come over and tow it back to the garage.

Looks like I will need to wait for another week, before we can fix all the issues,
Old 28th March 2010, 15:45   #52
BHPian

Here is Another Green eyed monster congratulating you on your new Gift!! Yeah I mean me when I said green eyed monster... I am sure most of the guys here are quite Jealous about you as I am.
And is that your little Princess on the Beetle? You have the makings of a fairy tale here.....Monsters,Car Loving Queen, Princess, Beetle.... and they lived happily ever after!! Sigh!
Old 28th March 2010, 16:41   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohooper View Post
And is that your little Princess on the Beetle? You have the makings of a fairy tale here.....Monsters,Car Loving Queen, Princess, Beetle.... and they lived happily ever after!! Sigh!
Thats my little princess on Srisha's car, That snap was taken 2.5 yrs ago. Just out of restoration.
Old 28th March 2010, 20:13   #54
BHPian

Some work we completed yesterday,

1. Rear and front bumpers were fixed, the bumper earlier were interchanged and hence we had to get new brackets made. Bumpers are have lost their chrome in some places, need to see if we can regain the shine by polishing or requires another chrome coating,

2. The side step rubber mat on either side of the car was coming off and we thought of fixing it by a beading which didnt come out the way we expected. Need to do something else now,
Attached Thumbnails
Beetle - my B'day present-photo0196.jpg  

Beetle - my B'day present-photo0200.jpg  

Beetle - my B'day present-photo0201.jpg  

Beetle - my B'day present-photo0204.jpg  

Beetle - my B'day present-photo0210.jpg  

Beetle - my B'day present-photo0211.jpg  

Beetle - my B'day present-photo0214.jpg  

Old 29th March 2010, 09:09   #55
BHPian

awesome man, and congrats , by the way i guess the renovation has been pretty cool and do you mind telling me the price that you paid for this ,

Last edited by Dippy : 12th April 2010 at 19:49. Reason: Please do not quote an entire long message when replying to a post
Old 30th March 2010, 17:55   #56
BHPian

This is one amazing looking car. Congrats for this proud gift!

Please pardon my ignorance, but isn't Left Hand Drive illegal in India? And I think one can not get an LHD vehicle registered ... am I incorrect? Are the laws different for vintage or old imported vehicles?
Old 30th March 2010, 18:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

Unique Gift

How old are you? ;-)

Congrats. I was also expecting the new Beetle. But anyways, neat car and I think you should make it Herbie
Old 30th March 2010, 20:24   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneet8796 View Post

Please pardon my ignorance, but isn't Left Hand Drive illegal in India? And I think one can not get an LHD vehicle registered ... am I incorrect? Are the laws different for vintage or old imported vehicles?
No buddy, LHD's are not illegal.

There are many LHD Vintages and Classics that ply all over Bangalore and our Country. It is not illegal.

Today, few works were done,

1) Starter Bendex replaced
2) Dynamo rewinded, new brushes replaced
3) A Fuse box was installed in the car
4) Did a tune up once again, as Srisha complained of overheating.
5) Rear plexiglass removed for replacement.

The tuning was allright, the problem was with the Front brakes. The brakes are holding the wheels, a bit of jam. Some work to be carried out tomorrow

1) Gearbox and engine downed - To replace the gearbox bedding
2) I am planning to "face" the flywheel and the loading plate once, this being done due to 1st gear shuddering. I have spare loading plate springs, which might be of some use.
3) Brakes will be done by tomorrow.
4) Drain the existing oil and add new engine oil, clean all sparkplugs.

This is a hell lot of job that is carried out on the car. Anyways, its an old car, and there's no point in nitpicking with the seller. But to say, all the above troubles are attributed to keeping the vehicle standstill for 2 yrs.

Some pics taken today.
Attached Thumbnails
Beetle - my B'day present-p300310_15.21_02.jpg  

Beetle - my B'day present-p300310_15.21_03.jpg  

Beetle - my B'day present-p300310_15.21_01.jpg  

Old 30th March 2010, 20:38   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneet8796 View Post

driving a left hand drive car is not illegal in India.
you cannot import a left hand drive car since 2002.
The laws are same for all type of vehicles.
Old 30th March 2010, 20:42   #60
BHPian

:)

Congrats! Thats a good looking ride! You are truly blessed, no, not just the car, but for that special person who knew what you wanted and made it happen. Bet every Tbhipian would like that! All the very best!

Most Viewed