Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 21:32   #61
BHPian

Srisha,
Lucky You! Nice car you have got there. From the photo the Body line seems perfect!
Your car has really got me interested in Beetle's. Last day I visited the VW showroom and saw the new 24 lakh Beetle in flesh. I really think its a joke.
The old beetle has much more character!
Old 30th March 2010, 22:33   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Last day I visited the VW showroom and saw the new 24 lakh Beetle in flesh. I really think its a joke.
The old beetle has much more character!
I second that! My sentiments exactly! How I wish we had got the Beetle when the old shape was still in production, like atleast a decade ago.
Old 31st March 2010, 10:28   #63
BHPian

Your head light lenses are upside down -- those "eyebrow" areas should be on top. I also wonder if they are bus lenses as the fluting is horizontal instead of vertical (these would be fitted sideways on the bus and then the fluting would be vertical).

You probably already know that the bumpers are the wrong year. I've seen the right style bumpers made locally so perhaps that's an option.

Have fun with the restoration.

BN
Old 31st March 2010, 11:03   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
How old are you? ;-)

Congrats. I was also expecting the new Beetle. But anyways, neat car and I think you should make it Herbie
One should actually see his restorations; very good job at that; had a chance to see some very neat indeed
Old 31st March 2010, 11:15   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
Your head light lenses are upside down -- those "eyebrow" areas should be on top. I also wonder if they are bus lenses as the fluting is horizontal instead of vertical (these would be fitted sideways on the bus and then the fluting would be vertical).

You probably already know that the bumpers are the wrong year. I've seen the right style bumpers made locally so perhaps that's an option.

BN
I know only little about beetles.
But I think like what 71 convertible has said,the bumpers are not of this type oval headlight beetles,this beetle should be having the blade bumpers with overriders and maybe even the towel rails.
Also this beetle looks like having quite a few parts of other year models.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:38   #66
BHPian

oh man! what a gift to have for a Birthday, Congrats on the new buy and you are really luck on to have such life partner.
do you have any idea on repainting the beetle?
Old 31st March 2010, 12:09   #67
BHPian

I was under the impression that this purple bug was a restored one.
From the photos and works pending it looks like a unrestored specimen with lots of money still to be spend on it. srisha, if you dont mind please reveal how much you had to pay for it?. Being a left hand driven vehicle it should definitely have come at a handsome discount
There was a left hand bug for sale in ebay from Poona .was quoting 2 lakhs
Old 31st March 2010, 12:31   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the super gesture. Wish you many years of happy motoring ahead. The bug can make for a great daily driver once mechanically fit. Cosmetics can keep happening later...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by classico View Post
But I think like what 71 convertible has said,the bumpers are not of this type oval headlight beetles,this beetle should be having the blade bumpers with overriders and maybe even the towel rails.
I too noticed the reversed fluting, though if these are Indian repros they might be the way they were made.

You must change the bumpers eventually, this style simply does not match the car. If you are in the mood for splurging, you can order fabulous repros for about 400$ each, shipping extra. If you look hard though, a used set should come up locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
From the photos and works pending it looks like a unrestored specimen with lots of money still to be spend on it.
Very rarely when you buy a car of this age will it be a no expense job. Even fully ready cars can deteriorate quickly. It is a given that work will always be required on these kind of cars. It took me the better part of 9 years to get my Beetle moving, and she still needs so much work. We all proceed at a pace comfortable to us - time wise, mechanic wise and money wise. Believe you me, a rolling restoration can be tremendous fun.
Old 31st March 2010, 12:44   #69
BANNED

[quote=karlosdeville;1813061]
I too noticed the reversed fluting, though if these are Indian repros they might be the way they were made.

You must change the bumpers eventually, this style simply does not match the car. If you are in the mood for splurging, you can order fabulous repros for about 400$ each, shipping extra. If you look hard though, a used set should come up locally.))

karl, you mean to say a pair of reprobumpers will cost 800 dollars
Being a bulky heavy item, it is likely to cost a good shipping charge also,
I am wondering what will be the price of oreeginal beetle bumpers which is coming from wolfsburg
Old 31st March 2010, 12:52   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
karl, you mean to say a pair of reprobumpers will cost 800 dollars
Being a bulky heavy item, it is likely to cost a good shipping charge also,
I am wondering what will be the price of oreeginal beetle bumpers which is coming from wolfsburg
They are expensive no doubt, but transform the look completely. There are cheaper alternatives Im sure (I was talking of show quality chrome). You can get a lesser quality of chrome, no over riders etc.
Old 31st March 2010, 12:59   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
They are expensive no doubt, but transform the look completely. There are cheaper alternatives Im sure (I was talking of show quality chrome). You can get a lesser quality of chrome, no over riders etc.
I also have heard that genuine beetle german items especially new original stock are expensive, but repro itself costing this high was an eyeopener.
Recently I saw in ebay UK or so a pair of such german hellaa red and yellow beetle tail lamp full assembly in their oreeginal packing getting sold in auction for 220 dollars....was thinking that was a crazy price for a pair of tail lamps
Old 31st March 2010, 14:07   #72
BHPian

Congrats Srisha on your birthday gift. I am watching this thread. Wishing you lots of happy miles with the car
Old 31st March 2010, 14:40   #73
Senior - BHPian

Lovely gift Srisha. Congrats and wishing you golden years with your Wifey on your Bug.

I'll ask someone to bring this post to my wife's notice, lets see if I get a hotwheels bug for my birthday .
Old 31st March 2010, 21:11   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Lovely gift Srisha. Congrats and wishing you golden years with your Wifey on your Bug.

I'll ask someone to bring this post to my wife's notice, lets see if I get a hotwheels bug for my birthday .
Why dont you do the reverse, by one for your wife's birthday that way she will allow you to have one
Old 1st April 2010, 00:23   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
How old are you? ;-)

Congrats. I was also expecting the new Beetle. But anyways, neat car and I think you should make it Herbie
I turned 33 this month, what is the relevance of my age??

Quote:

BN
I am not sure about the headlights, need to do some research.

Yes, I know the bumpers are of the wrong year, right now I am going to use them as is and change them later, first things first now, need to get it running.

I have some local options, will consider them later. Can you PM me the details of the ones you are referring?

Quote:
From the quote looks like you know a lot about beetles, you actually remind me about another person who was quite popular in this section

What other parts are you referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
oh man! what a gift to have for a Birthday, Congrats on the new buy and you are really luck on to have such life partner.
do you have any idea on repainting the beetle?
Thank you, no it doesnot require a new paint, it has lost its charm because of poor maintenance, all it needs is a good rubbing and polishing and it will be shining

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
From the photos and works pending it looks like a unrestored specimen with lots of money still to be spend on it. srisha, if you dont mind please reveal how much you had to pay for it?. Being a left hand driven vehicle it should definitely have come at a handsome discount
There was a left hand bug for sale in ebay from Poona .was quoting 2 lakhs
Yes, it was a restored beetle from bangalore which went to HYD 2 years ago and was badly maintained, ran only 50 odd kms.

I costed 3.5 lakhs including transportation. Why do you think LHD should cost cheaper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Congratulations on the super gesture. Wish you many years of happy motoring ahead. The bug can make for a great daily driver once mechanically fit. Cosmetics can keep happening later...

You must change the bumpers eventually, this style simply does not match the car. If you are in the mood for splurging, you can order fabulous repros for about 400$ each, shipping extra. If you look hard though, a used set should come up locally.

Very rarely when you buy a car of this age will it be a no expense job. Even fully ready cars can deteriorate quickly. It is a given that work will always be required on these kind of cars. It took me the better part of 9 years to get my Beetle moving, and she still needs so much work. We all proceed at a pace comfortable to us - time wise, mechanic wise and money wise. Believe you me, a rolling restoration can be tremendous fun.
Thanks Karl. Yep, right now I am only concentrating on getting it mechanically fit and then go with the cosmetics. I dont think I will be able to afford such high priced accessories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
Congrats Srisha on your birthday gift. I am watching this thread. Wishing you lots of happy miles with the car
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post

It took almost 3 years for me to get her interested in classic cars, I am sure you will also be lucky one day

Most Viewed