Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 23:00   #1
BHPian

Beetle - my B'day present

Yes, as the subject says, I was presented a 1966 LHD Beetle by my wife.

This came as a surprise to me, since I never expect her to give me such an expensive gift. She new I was looking for one for a long time, but never expected it to come this way

Anyways, the story goes like this..

My b'day was on 18th March 2010, and the car landed here on the night of 18th past midnight. Though she wanted to surprise me on the midnight of 17th, didn’t happen due to some logistic issues.

All this wouldn't have been possible without Pavan Kadam's help, who took those million calls from my wife and did everything from payment to logistics. Thank you Pavan, we owe you for all this

It was a smart move from my wife, who had overheard me speak to pavan in the past and took the number from my phone and got in touch with him to make this happen. From here only Pavan can tell how they managed to turnaround this so quickly, I guess it was all done in 3-4 days.

For now some pix, these are not the latest pictures but were taken before this car went to Hyd.

I dont have to say much about the history of this car, becasue it was already famous 2 years ago when it left bangalore and bought by another Tbhpian
Attached Thumbnails
Beetle - my B'day present-dsc03381.jpg  

Beetle - my B'day present-dsc03387.jpg  

Beetle - my B'day present-dsc03389.jpg  

Beetle - my B'day present-dsc03390.jpg  

Beetle - my B'day present-p1000023.jpg  

Beetle - my B'day present-p1000028.jpg  

Beetle - my B'day present-p1000029.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by srisha : 24th March 2010 at 23:03. Reason: removed some extra text
Old 24th March 2010, 23:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Congrats man!
I was expecting pictures of the new Beetle though
Old 24th March 2010, 23:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats man!!! Thats an awesome gift Looks really neat and clean!!
Old 24th March 2010, 23:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wow what a gift, Congrats..BTW was this beetle in Hyderabad?
Old 24th March 2010, 23:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Wow! Congrats man!
I was expecting pictures of the new Beetle though
Thank you,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsatan View Post
Congrats man!!! Thats an awesome gift Looks really neat and clean!!
Thank you, yes it looks neat in these pictues and the condition it came in was horribly dirty and I shall upload those later.
Old 24th March 2010, 23:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srisha View Post
Thank you, yes it looks neat in these pictues and the condition it came in was horribly dirty and I shall upload those later.
But now its all gleaming. Great going bud!! This looks so so better than the new Beetle.
Old 24th March 2010, 23:37   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats!! At the first look at the thread title i thought someone bought a New Beetle, i felt good when read the thread and this turned out to be the Classic Beetle not this Joke VW thats available for 24lakhs at VW Showrooms.
Old 24th March 2010, 23:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, as the subject says, I was presented a 1966 LHD Beetle by my wife.

This came as a surprise to me, since I never expect her to give me such an expensive gift. She new I was looking for one for a long time, but never expected it to come this way

Anyways, the story goes like this..

My b'day was on 18th March 2010, and the car landed here on the night of 18th past midnight. Though she wanted to surprise me on the midnight of 17th, didn’t happen due to some logistic issues.

All this wouldn't have been possible without Pavan Kadam's help, who took those million calls from my wife and did everything from payment to logistics. Thank you Pavan, we owe you for all this

It was a smart move from my wife, who had overheard me speak to pavan in the past and took the number from my phone and got in touch with him to make this happen. From here only Pavan can tell how they managed to turnaround this so quickly, I guess it was all done in 3-4 days.

For now some pix, these are not the latest pictures but were taken before this car went to Hyd.

I dont have to say much about the history of this car, because it was already famous 2 years ago when it left Bangalore and bought by another Tbhpian
You are twice as lucky.
1)You got a Beetle as a surprise.

2) And this is THE thing, your wife encourages your madness and is with you. You both are in quite a minority, that is what makes it remarkable. Just ensure that she is kept in good running condition, so that nobody gets fedup.
Way to go!!

Cheers harit
Old 24th March 2010, 23:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your Beetle.
This is a Beetle that i have seen with mechanic in Hyderabad last year and even I bid for it.But didnt take it.
Hyderabad is now the place for KA Beetles.
Old 24th March 2010, 23:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Wow what a gift, Congrats..BTW was this beetle in Hyderabad?
Yes, it was in HYD for the last 2 years, was not used much from the time it was there
Old 24th March 2010, 23:45   #11
Team-BHP Support

Congrtaz! Some dreams come true afterall, especially when you have such a caring better half along with you!

cheers
Jaggu
Old 24th March 2010, 23:46   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats srisha!! As harit says, this is THE ultimate gift from a wife to her classic-enthusiast hubby!! Unbelievable, in India atleast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Just ensure that she is kept in good running condition, so that nobody gets fedup.
Uh, harit, which "she" are you referring to?! There are 2 she's in this context, so a tad confusing I might say!
Old 25th March 2010, 00:00   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, it was in HYD for the last 2 years, was not used much from the time it was there
A Customary Congratulations A great gift any wife can think of gifting. Lucky man.

I liked the way Srisha was brought BLINDFOLDED that night by his wife and Brother-in-law all the way from Jayanagar. Nice fun, but worth all the trouble.

This was the only car that came into my RADAR once Srisha got in touch with me, many cars around were in worst condition if not, the documents were dubious. But this very car inspite of an engine swap, had all documents in place, updated and is still running on KA number I feel lucky.

As far as the car is concerned, its a very clean 1966 LHD, lot of original fittings, runs well, mechanicals good, Body line neat, Paint though dull but managable.

Few things that are getting done now.

1) Starter overhauled
2) Plugs changed
3) Tuned well now
4) Original carb cleaned
5) Rear brake cylinders getting changed
6) Bit of tinkering being done in the front
7) Bumpers being reversed to correction (Front to Back and vice versa)
8) New clutch installed.

Shortcomings:
1) Rear glass missing ( has a fibreglass fixed temporarily)
2) 1 rim from 1962 model
3) Both the tail light lenses dull and dirty

Me and Srisha could only drive it for over a km, when it runs, it runs very well, no hitch, but the time it stops, the starter gives in :( We are slowly working on this.

Hopefully this weekend the car will reach its new found owner.

Must thank Kalyan (Automannjj) for trusting in me , sending the car even before the payment reaches. Thank you once again man.
Attached Thumbnails
Beetle - my B'day present-p220310_13.26_01.jpg  

Beetle - my B'day present-p220310_13.26.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 25th March 2010 at 00:09.
Old 25th March 2010, 00:07   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Shortcomings:
1) Rear glass missing
2) 1 rim from 1962 model
Uh pavan, which rear glass do you refer to? The car has it intact as far as i can see. Do you mean the LH tail-light glass?
Old 25th March 2010, 00:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy. You are a lucky guy. Like Harit said its a rare combination to have two classic car buffs in a family. You are luicky to have a wife like that and a friend like Pavan. Do extend my congratulations and regards to her. You dream come true, must be feeling great.

@ Pavan- are'nt both rear rims from the 62?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks