Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2011, 10:47   #61
BHPian

Re: A strange story (A 1955 Landmaster)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
These plates are still done new in my city Hyderabad, they come in two variants Brass or Brass letters chrome polished. This is what I have sported on my Vespa
Great! Now I know who to contact when my car is near ready I had searched very hard in Calcutta in all the areas where this kind of stuff is made, but everyone said that they don't make the 3-D style anymore; just flat brass and chrome ones for the Army top brass (bad pun).

I still have the original letters and numbers the car came with for the rear plate, but because of the narrow angles I can't get them polished properly. So I will be needing new ones for my car closer to time.

Thanks
Prithvi
Old 26th July 2011, 19:11   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Wow Karl, the plates are super! Are these new letters and numbers or the original polished ones? Would love to get new numbers like this as was available in the 50s & 60s.
I had them made recently in Mumbai. There are very few guys still making them, and they won't be doing it for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
How come you can have white letters on Black plates? It has to be the other way round, is it not. I have seen similar plates on vehicles in Hyderabd. Is it allowed by MV department.
You are right, but I had these made just for cosmetics (I have a thing for number plates). I shall have to fit white plates over these for regular use.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 22:32   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Now coming to the other LML STAR she will be according to RTA regulations, I have to stick white sticker and get the numbers done, .
Stickers are also not allowable strictly as per rules, though there are plenty. The law says the numbers are to be painted. Take care.
Old 27th July 2011, 01:05   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Great! Now I know who to contact when my car is near ready I had searched very hard in Calcutta in all the areas where this kind of stuff is made, but everyone said that they don't make the 3-D style anymore; just flat brass and chrome ones for the Army top brass (bad pun).

I still have the original letters and numbers the car came with for the rear plate, but because of the narrow angles I can't get them polished properly. So I will be needing new ones for my car closer to time.

Thanks
Prithvi
You are more than welcome, there are umpteen number shops in Hyderabad who do this and they are awesome in doing it. They also do the pressed aluminium type number plates also which is fine according to RTA regulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Stickers are also not allowable strictly as per rules, though there are plenty. The law says the numbers are to be painted. Take care.
In a country where law is ruled by money not by principles/procedures these things will be there. RTA regulations doesn't say not to use stickers but not to use abnormal, un readable fonts/designs. In fact stickers are better than the paint in terms of durability, efficiency they glow bright when light focus on them and it's an added advantage in terms of safety also.

Sorry Karl for diverting your thread to a different topic, let us debate in an appropriate thread if any, else can begin one.

Thanks

Bala

Last edited by chanu : 27th July 2011 at 01:11. Reason: punctuation
Old 26th September 2011, 19:25   #65
BHPian

A fairy tale with a happy ending. Wiping the tears actually. The Landmaster is a part of our heritage and it is wonderful that you managed to restore it to its former glory.

May there be more such events.
BusyBee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed