Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:20   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: A strange story (A 1955 Landmaster)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Thanks Gogiji , I did what my heart told me to do & I always do things that way. It pinches the pocket but the sole remains scratch-less
Very well said Sir, very well said and so true.

ABout Karl too. He is a true enthusiast who will take utmost pains (the good ones) and care to make sure it is bought back to its original glory.

I remember seeing a pristine black Land master its number was BYF or BMF XXXX and was dieselised but used t cross my area (Dadar E) almost everyday. Slef driven and shining whenever i saw it. It seems to have disappeared since almost 3-4 years now, maybe more. Any idea whose was it anyone and where it lies today?

All the best to you two. You couldn't have made a better choice. Will keep an eagle eye for parts for the Land Master.
Old 2nd July 2011, 22:05   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Something I've been very excited about also is finally complete - should transform the looks of the car.
Wow Karl, fantastic plates. How're you going to carry them off ? Or are they strictly "Rally use only" ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I know what you mean. I took the Fiat Special to Phoenix Mills once and the guy not only let me park in P1
I agree Gogi, my mom once took the Super Select to my daughter's school - and the security guys let her park in a VIP parking slot reserved only for the school's trustees !!

Last edited by SuperSelect : 2nd July 2011 at 22:07.
Old 3rd July 2011, 20:06   #48
Senior - BHPian

They must've seen the car and though you were one of the "Old" school trustees in their old car!!
Old 3rd July 2011, 20:12   #49
Senior - BHPian

Lovely plates ! All the best and when do we get to see her .

Cheers

Quote:
The drive back was great - car performed well, and I got lost because of a detour and ended up half way to Mahabaleshwar - if the weather was better I might have continued all the way

Something I've been very excited about also is finally complete - should transform the looks of the car.

Attachment 570990
Old 3rd July 2011, 20:47   #50
BHPian

Quote:
The drive back was great - car performed well, and I got lost because of a detour and ended up half way to Mahabaleshwar - if the weather was better I might have continued all the way

Attachment 570990
The plates are looking great. Where did you source them from?
Old 3rd July 2011, 20:52   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Wow Karl, fantastic plates. How're you going to carry them off ? Or are they strictly "Rally use only" ??
Why thats simple, he just needs to affiliate his car to some political party -put one of those stickers (I think "Congress ka Haath" will suit this type of bodysytle best) then he can roam around like he owns the road.
Old 3rd July 2011, 20:54   #52
Senior - BHPian

Lovely plates ! All the best and when do we get to see her .

Cheers

Quote:

Attachment 570990
Old 3rd July 2011, 21:17   #53
Senior - BHPian

Karl are those MRF white walls you have on your Car? Can you please give us the details regards the size specifications please as id like to order a set for me. No i dont have a Landmaster nor an Ambassador......Yet!!Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 13:56   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Thanks Gogiji , I did what my heart told me to do & I always do things that way. It pinches the pocket but the sole remains scratch-less

A little disagreement here , I knew karl will come for her & get it -- I knew it for sure , nobody had eyes on that car then Karl did . So it was for him .
Also he is doing it in much much better way then I could have done it . My inclination is towards mechanicals so was Mr . Patankars ( he owned her for 45 years before me ) but things like these deserve better attention beyond that & in to details --- this IS Karl's Job not mine

This car has something , one can feel it when one rides it . I was in a shock of deep sadness when I had to sell her in scrap . But the moment I picked her up again ,I was relieved , half way .

But now I am so happy I don't have words to describe it , Its a feeling of deep satisfaction .

@ Karl --- if you need any help from my side I am always there , be assured ,its a promise . I know this car needs my help sometimes

Sudarshan

Hi Sudarshan,
Read your posts with great interest, lovely car has been passed onto the perfect man for the job.
I have been looking for a Landy for quite some time now. I have an old time love affair with her. There were plenty of them here in Bangalore about ten years ago but then i dint have the money to buy even the chrome work on the car. Now when i can there is no car
Please let me know if you know of anybody parting with one at a reasonable price.
Cheers
Old 24th July 2011, 21:23   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The leather seats are still on my agenda.
Quote:
Interiors are new too, with a deep red rexine that looks most correct to me, though I have no idea what the original should be like - after much hunting I could not find even 1 car with remains of what the original upholstery should be. Anjan tells me it should be leather actually.
Karl, I have now fully confirmed that the seats were of leather for the Oxford Series II and the Landmaster. Morris Cowley was economy model in the range and had coir as cushion and rexine covers as told by MCOC, Oxford.
An elderly gentleman here in Nagpur was relating a tale from 1951, when his dad sent their driver to get a new Hindustan 14 from Calcutta, as it was not available at Nagpur then due to some reason.The driver reached Calcutta and sent a letter saying he has reached there. This letter is still preserved with them.
It took seven days for the driver to cover the distance (1100 plus kms) between Calcutta and Nagpur-the road was so bad then.This car had original leather upholstery. He said even Landmasters had leather upholstery. A car MHN 2110, the picture of which I had sent to you has the 1956 original leather upholstery in maroon colour.The owner has fitted a seat cover over the original leather, but the door interiors still sport the original leather.
Old 25th July 2011, 16:36   #56
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 570990
Wow Karl, the plates are super! Are these new letters and numbers or the original polished ones? Would love to get new numbers like this as was available in the 50s & 60s.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 25th July 2011, 20:33   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Wow Karl, the plates are super! Are these new letters and numbers or the original polished ones? Would love to get new numbers like this as was available in the 50s & 60s.

Regards
Prithvi
There is a guy in my home town who used to do these ones made of brass very popular in MP / Chhattisgarh. Upon my visit I will definitely enquire from him.
Old 25th July 2011, 22:20   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post

Regards
Prithvi
These plates are still done new in my city Hyderabad, they come in two variants Brass or Brass letters chrome polished. This is what I have sported on my Vespa
Attached Thumbnails
A strange story (A 1955 Landmaster)-p300611_15.49.jpg  

Old 25th July 2011, 22:36   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
These plates are still done new in my city Hyderabad, they come in two variants Brass or Brass letters chrome polished. This is what I have sported on my Vespa
How come you can have white letters on Black plates? It has to be the other way round, is it not. I have seen similar plates on vehicles in Hyderabd. Is it allowed by MV department.

Last edited by rajeev k : 25th July 2011 at 22:43.
Old 26th July 2011, 01:02   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
How come you can have white letters on Black plates? It has to be the other way round, is it not. I have seen similar plates on vehicles in Hyderabd. Is it allowed by MV department.
We are not supposed to have the way it is on my scooter, according to RTA regulations it should be white plate with black letters, I like the period looking plates and in my opinion it enhances the look of the vehicle and I stopped driving this vespa until and unless she is required so I am ok with penalties if so. There are few owners who sport the old fashioned plates to their classics.

Now coming to the other LML STAR she will be according to RTA regulations, I have to stick white sticker and get the numbers done, I took it because they were old stock plates and they are way far better compared to the paper napkin/papad type new gen plates.
chanu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks