Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 16:57   #31
BANNED

Years back, I had received a greeting from Land Rover, I think it sums up NM's problame
Attached Thumbnails
Land Rover support group!-scan0022.jpg  

Old 24th June 2010, 21:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Hi NM ,what is the FC ? do you mean RRC ? , What is the original colour mentioned in the RC book ? go by that. it must work.
What kind of RTO & Rules you have there ( ask them if they want some thing ELSE ).
well it is simple if you have military green color, as per the rules you are not allowed and so you cannot register a vehicle with the same color. But then if you register the vehicle in blue or any color and fter that you can change the color .
Old 24th June 2010, 22:12   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
well it is simple if you have military green color, as per the rules you are not allowed and so you cannot register a vehicle with the same color. But then if you register the vehicle in blue or any color and fter that you can change the color .
As far as I know the law requires the following
1) You can not use a colour or shade that is used in Govt. vehicle.For example the Red of postal vans, Blue like police vehicle etc. This applies all over India
2) Private Vehicle should not resemble to any of Govt. vehicle( markings etc.), use of Badges/monograms which are look alike to govt .institutions/vehicle are not allowed.
Now we did not had any problame with the colour shade( NM has used )in Maharashtra . My own Landy & two others were painted in the same manner/ shade as NM's. thease vehicles easily passed all renewals & transferes with maharashtra RTOs. The reason is simple , though the colour is look alike to military,the Application was different .It was two tone ( white roof & wheel discs) So we did not have any problame.As far as I know Military vehicles do not come in this particular fashion.( two tone)
3) according to rules, Change of colour without RTO permission is Also not allowed (the colour shade is mentioned in the books/register).So one needs to stick to the colour / shade which is Recorded wiyh the RTO ( as per theory/law)
Simply means you can not change the colour of you car as per you wish , you need a permission for that & the new colour Will be mentioned in the books/register.
So I dont get what wrong did the conserned RTO saw in NM's car?
Yours Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 24th June 2010 at 22:16. Reason: corrections,.
Old 28th June 2010, 06:40   #34
BHPian

[quote=Sudarshan;1931705]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
Guys, I had formed LRCOI on Facebook and we are a small number of Landy owners. If you want we can have the entire group shifted to TBHP.

Well a good idea but wait for some time, lets see how this thread carries on .
I will suggest that you maintain your group's own Identity because Face book is a Larger Sphere, here in BHP people will need to be members first of our Parent site (TEAM BHP ). so think over that
It DOES NOT MEAN that you are not welcome ,infact it will be an Asset if you join in .
I am sending some info about comman spares (Land Rover & other Indian vehicles)
hey Sudarshan can you send that list in simple .doc form pls cant open this .docx format my computer is from the last century !!
regards
Polly
Old 28th June 2010, 13:02   #35
BANNED

[quote=Polly Singh;1956345]
Quote:

hey Sudarshan can you send that list in simple .doc form pls cant open this .docx format my computer is from the last century !!
regards
Polly
Hi polly,I am going to do some corrections/additions to it ,then I will print & scan it, to jpeg , so any one can have a look at it like a photo.
But please wait , I will do it as soon as possible .
Yours Sudarshan.
Old 28th June 2010, 18:21   #36
BANNED

Hi all & polly,Trying to send the list in easy to open form.please .
Attached Thumbnails
Land Rover support group!-scan0023.jpg  

Old 28th June 2010, 20:07   #37
BHPian

Hi 4x4er,
Was you long wheel base landy in Goa in december by any chance.i clearly remember seeing a similar vehicle with behind ladder and the stickers parked with its bonnet open.On close inspection the fan belt had snapped.I like land rovers. a friend of mine has 2 of them with him.
cheers
Old 28th June 2010, 20:20   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all & polly,Trying to send the list in easy to open form.please .
wow thanx, i just changed one of the rear flexi brake hoses from a shop in kashmiri gate. And my steering arm spline and cotter gave way, the bolt had ground itself loose over 40 yrs !!, inserted an oversize one to make it hold fast. Still trying to remove the last of the steering wheel play , but then thats landrover legacy isnt it ??
Polly
Old 29th June 2010, 08:36   #39
BANNED

Hi all , I missed one important addresss, Its the Navnit Moters (Thane ,near Mumbai ), they are (were ) authorised dealers for Land Rovers, I havent dealt with them personnaly yet . I just called them once so many years back ,I had a talk with Mr. Gogte he sounded helpful,polite & it was encouraging.Though for one or another reason I am yet to visit them.
I dont know their current status, any one who can put more light on this, welcome .
Old 29th June 2010, 15:10   #40
BHPian

so is there anyway to tell how many land rovers were imported into India , the series ones that is ???
Polly
Old 29th June 2010, 20:16   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly Singh View Post
so is there anyway to tell how many land rovers were imported into India , the series ones that is ???
Polly
Hi, as far as I know & to put that in short--
Imports stopped some where around the 'Emergency' period, ( as You people have fondly termed it as E-- mar-- jaa-- si .) any way this is off topic. But the point is most of the Good vehicles like Land Rover entered this country are before 1977 via donations(Land Rovers, Cj 5,7 Jeeps,some american & French goodies too) from various organisations .
Then the Golden era ended & as we all (may be ) know, and the bajaj, premier,& the mahindras Milked us ,(the hindustan milked the Govt .)any way this is also off topic.
I am a product of that ill fated generation ( three cars, 1 jeep in total etc.etc. Only were produced in whole of the India ) off topic
Hey too much off the off topic , Polly why you ask such questions of which not even the god has the answer, & on top of that you reminded me of what I missed.
So the answer of your Q is I Dont Know
Hey Polly,I mean Sir.( you are elder to me ,I found out ) ,you are also from the same Generation ,so chances are You must be knowing better.
Yours Sudarshan.

Last edited by Sudarshan : 29th June 2010 at 20:21.
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:02   #42
BHPian

Hi Sudarshan

Great thread...it definitely helps people like me.i have a 110,I like to do the 'dirty' work myself as much as possible.(change oil,changed head gasket,cleaned radiator,fixed fuel tank leak and other territory marking points..lol etc all in my flats basement)
I know kanal enterp ltd...hunted a lot around opera house area for parts.Thank you very much for providing similar parts from indian vehicles..helps saving a lot of money.
I know Mr. Prithvi and met him(he is doing a great job on his landy) and am one of the first members of that facebook group. I also plan to change my 110's engine when i have saved enough .
I come to Pune once a year, will contact you and meet up.
Will keep in touch.
Cheers.
Old 4th July 2010, 10:49   #43
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful thread, Sudarshan sir. Have been a fan of the Land Rover name for long, and it is my dream to restore and own a Series Land Rover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly Singh View Post
Polly
Many, to put it mildly.

I am a member of the Land Rover series 1 club (LRSOC) of UK, a nice bunch of Series 1 enthusiasts with a huge database of resources, an amazing collection of photos and knowledge, and a good in house magazine. A few days back I had a chat with Mike Bishop, the Technical Officer of the club on this very topic. While it is impossible to quantify how many series 1s came into India, I can give you a few pointers.

1. Dewars Garage in Dalhousie, Kolkata was the only appointed seller/service centre for Land Rover vehicles in India. In 1948, when the first batch of vehicles came in as CBUs, 2 were destined for the Indian army (incidentally the first army to put the vehicle to field use) and 10 were civilian orders. I even have the chassis nos:

Chassis Date In Date Out To

R860012 27/08/48 14/09/48 Dewars
R860013 23/07/48 17/08/48 Dewars
R860017 13/08/48 17/08/48 Dewars
R860018 04/08/48 17/08/48 Dewars
R860019 19/08/48 26/08/48 Dewars
R860023 19/08/48 06/09/48 Indian Army
R860024 08/08/48 06/09/48 Indian Army
R860028 16/08/48 17/08/48 Dewars
R860043 13/08/48 26/08/48 Dewars
R860044 23/08/48 26/08/48 Dewars
R860045 19/08/48 27/08/48 Dewars
R860046 30/08/48 14/09/48 Dewars

This was followed by 2 more lots of 13 and 19 vehicles respectively.

Just for the ignoramuses, this is what the first LRs looked like:

Land Rover support group!-hue166.jpg

2. In 1949 the first batch of 12 CKD cars came in. I have the chassis nos for these too, if you're interested.

3. Post this, the details get sketchy. This is because there were 3 routes through which the cars came in. Civilian orders (through Dewars), Army orders (direct shipping) and vehicles from specialized agencies like the UN, NATO, WHO etc.

At the moment, Dewars is just one building away from my office. Its a Maruti dealership. I've talked to senior people there about their past associations with Rover group (and Land Rover) and they all give me funny stares. Sob sob.

In fact the topic of these agency vehicles is quite interesting. Most were standard 107/109 SWs, but some (like this NATO ambulance custom built by Pilchers) were rarities.

Land Rover support group!-r274426ambulancebypilchers.jpg

Land Rover support group!-r002744ulandrovernatodisplayspecialvehicles1957.jpg

OT-An Engineering company in Kolkata made a clone of this NATO ambulance for the factory of Bengal Potteries. This vehicle lay dormant for many years before Uday Bhan Singh rescued it. It may be with UBS or SirAlec at the moment .

Anyway, have many more facts and pics to share. But right now, just want to sit back and enjoy this great thread by LR lovers.

Edit: Ambulance pictures courtesy Mike Bishop's archives

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th July 2010 at 20:38. Reason: Merging images into original post.
Old 4th July 2010, 12:14   #44
BANNED

Hi Adishell & Predatorwheelz, Thanks for your warm responces, & hey not necessary to call me Sir , its not required ( though I feel good about it ).
You can just call me Sudarshan or Rajubhai ( Thanks to one Gujju 110 owner friend of mine , who started calling me upon my family pet name )
Anyway keep it up nice info ( Predator.. ),Thanks.
Also waiting for some more 'Chupe Rustum ' Landy owners/Lovers to come forward & participate in this forum/thread. Oh comeon & join in, I know you are watching.
Well when it comes to Land Rovers , I am not 43, I am just 4+3 = 12
Yours Sudarshan ( Rajubhai ) Vaidya.
P.S. hey Predator... I couldnt open those attachments ,checkout whats wrong.
Old 4th July 2010, 13:43   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hey! How did i miss this thread and that too by almost two months.

I have most if the manual except for my own. Isn't it Ironic.?

So most of work done are improvisation. but due to work and family thingy i have very little time for hobby now. But the LR is in Good conditions and used as a daily drive when i am back home.

Siliguri is full of series parts. i have with lot of effort have accumulated lot of parts by scavenging two paperless 50s model
Land Rover support group!-lr-lw-man.jpg

Military Land Rover: Series III Lightweight User Manual Official Handbooks: Amazon.co.uk: Brooklands Books Ltd: Books

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks