Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2011, 00:44   #166
BHPian

Re: Land Rover support group!

LR Gurus,

I'm thinking about getting one of these using Transfer of Residency:
Land Rover, 90 Hard Top RHD & LHD, #28683 - MOD Sales, Military Vehicles & Ex MOD Land Rovers for Sale

I really want 300 Tdi motor and R380 transmission but just that would set me back by about $25k. New galvanized chassis would be about $10k.

I'm very confused. Is the 2.5 (non-turbo) good enough for highway driving?
Old 9th December 2011, 06:54   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly Singh View Post
wow 4X4 shes turned out gr8 !!! sorry i didnt see this earlier !!tail board spigots and chain holders done ?? so is that then the ONLY truck cab in India ??
regards
Polly
Thanks Polly , for the tail gate I made the pig tails but the chain holder is not satisfactory, may have to wait for you to return. I know of 2 other truck cabs in India both 109s though.

I sorted the dash with correct switches and twin wiper motors. I want to keep the lights on the wings as well for a while, she is 4 eyes now.
Old 9th December 2011, 12:56   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting one of these using Transfer of Residency
Are you considering getting this one to India ? If yes then first please go through other threads on the rules & troubles in getting Cars from overseas . If you want to use this in UK , then ignore this post .
Old 21st December 2011, 00:33   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Are you considering getting this one to India ? If yes then first please go through other threads on the rules & troubles in getting Cars from overseas . If you want to use this in UK , then ignore this post .
Yes, I want to bring it back to India. I'll search the forum for import issues. My main question is whether this 2.5 diesel would be good enough for daily use and can it take additional load of A/C?
Old 21st December 2011, 11:33   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post
Yes, I want to bring it back to India. I'll search the forum for import issues. My main question is whether this 2.5 diesel would be good enough for daily use and can it take additional load of A/C?

TM, the vehicle Defernder 90 with 2.5 L engine is being used quiet well in the region, which can not survive without A/C. I have used it here including some rough terrine driving, with A/C on and there were never any issue of getting a feeling of lack of power (except in some extrem atempts).

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:39   #171
BANNED

A question was asked about the 4 wheel drive shifting system in series 2a & 3 Land rovers , in another thread , trying to provide pics for continence

I will answer in detail if any doubt remains now in little hurry

Land Rover support group!-12wdhigh.jpg

Land Rover support group!-24wdhigh.jpg

Land Rover support group!-34wdlow.jpg

Land Rover support group!-4wddisseng.jpg

Land Rover support group!-5shiftto2-wd.jpg

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 13:20   #172
BHPian

Guys,
Some may find this article helpful

DIFFLOCK.com - Series Gears

All the best
dyer_made is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 11:32   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
A question was asked about the 4 wheel drive shifting system in series 2a & 3 Land rovers , in another thread , trying to provide pics for continence

I will answer in detail if any doubt remains now in little hurry

Attachment 863369

Attachment 863370

Attachment 863371

Attachment 863372

Attachment 863373

Sudarshan
Thank you very much sir, the step wise pictorial help was really help full and now the operation of 4WD is absolutely clear, i tried my first offroading,on the banks of River Satluj on saturday and the Landy performed really well, much beyond expected,here are some pics,i now have another question, MY LR is equipped with and overdrive gear,how to operate the same,pls suggest and enjoy the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Land Rover support group!-1.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-2.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-3.jpg  

inderpalgill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 12:29   #174
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
== i tried my first offroading,on the banks of River Satluj on saturday and the Landy performed really well, much beyond expected
Good to hear that & the pics too

Quote:
i now have another question, MY LR is equipped with and overdrive gear,how to operate the same,pls suggest and enjoy the pics
I have faced this problem too , one of my friends Landy had this Overdrive & I had driven that vehicle substantially on & Off road . Unfortunately the Landy got sold few years back (& also my friend is no more among us ) -- so here cannot be a pictorial guide for this Q .

Anyways Here is something to share with all
This overdrive gear lever had no markings on it , BUT this lever has only TWO positions IN ( engage ) & OUT ( dis engage ) now to detect the positions please do the following ( this is out of my own Successful experiment )

1) take the vehicle to an incline

2) choose 1 st gear

3) Press clutch pedal & choose any position on the overdrive lever

4) Now start the vehicle & observe the pickup ( power & speed )

5) stop again & shift the overdrive lever to another position ( Vehicle still in 1 st main gear ) , now start the vehicle again & observe pickup

6) Compare the two Positions of overdrive lever -- the one in which you can feel the maximum power of the vehicle's first gear is the OUT position of the overdrive

NOTE: every time you shift the overdrive lever it IS Necessary to apply clutch like we do to shift normal gears ,also this over drive can be applied to all gears ( will explain later )

Important : this overdrive unit has an oil level quantity to check like the regular gearbox

Also send some pics of this unit so it will be easier for me to give you some more info ( according to its make ) --- you just need to remove the front middle seat & the cover plate/ storage box beneath it to take pics from cabin .

One more thing -- for Manuals check my post # 28 in this same thread

I will send some more on the Landy Overdrive -- its different than many people think .

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 9th January 2012 at 12:43.
Old 9th January 2012, 19:12   #175
BANNED

I want to add a chart to explain how a Fairey overdrive works in a Series model Land Rover

Land Rover support group!-overdrive.png

This Overdrive can be applied to any of the forward ( 1 to 4 ) & reverse gear. I will try & findout the ratio of the Overdrive soon .

I used the Overdrive function on the 4 th gear only ( as additional 5th gear effect ) & that too on open highways -- I found it unsuitable for 4x4 operations where torque is preferred ( than speed ) & also in congested city traffic .

Sudarshan
Old 11th January 2012, 13:12   #176
BHPian

Quote:
I want to add a chart to explain how a Fairey overdrive works in a Series model Land Rover

Attachment 868180

This Overdrive can be applied to any of the forward ( 1 to 4 ) & reverse gear. I will try & findout the ratio of the Overdrive soon .

I used the Overdrive function on the 4 th gear only ( as additional 5th gear effect ) & that too on open highways -- I found it unsuitable for 4x4 operations where torque is preferred ( than speed ) & also in congested city traffic .

Sudarshan
thanks for the help, my over drive lever has a marking on it, it reads overdrive in and out.and the vehicle moves only in one position only, also pls let me know what winch should i go for, an electric one or is there a possibility of a mechanical winch, some friend told me that the Land rovers come with a PTO function is that true, if yes how can it be operated.
Old 11th January 2012, 18:41   #177
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
thanks for the help, my over drive lever has a marking on it, it reads overdrive in and out.and the vehicle moves only in one position only,
vehicle must move in both positions -- if its the Fairey overdrive

Quote:
also pls let me know what winch should i go for, an electric one or is there a possibility of a mechanical winch, some friend told me that the Land rovers come with a PTO function is that true, if yes how can it be operated.
My choice is PTO winch but getting a PTO locally will be very hard , you will need to import everything ( winch & PTO & shafts ) the PTO type winch is driven via shafts running from PTO unit to front bumper where the winch is mounted .

You can also use electric winch. For a vehicle like lwb Landy one needs a 10,000 pound ( 4.5 ton ) capacity winch -- these are easy to fit than the PTO types , but for that you will need the following

1) suitable winch bracket

2) an alternator having capacity of 100 AMPs minimum

3) A Deep cycle starter type Battery which has a minimum capacity of 650 CCA ( cold cranking amps )

I have a Warn winch on my landy -- will provide you links & info about the Above three , if you decide to go on with the Idea .

But my friendly & frank advice is you spend some time with the landy understanding & maintaining it & then invest in it if its your first Landy experience

Sudarshan
Old 27th January 2012, 16:03   #178
BHPian

Quote:
vehicle must move in both positions -- if its the Fairey overdrive

My choice is PTO winch but getting a PTO locally will be very hard , you will need to import everything ( winch & PTO & shafts ) the PTO type winch is driven via shafts running from PTO unit to front bumper where the winch is mounted .

You can also use electric winch. For a vehicle like lwb Landy one needs a 10,000 pound ( 4.5 ton ) capacity winch -- these are easy to fit than the PTO types , but for that you will need the following

1) suitable winch bracket

2) an alternator having capacity of 100 AMPs minimum

3) A Deep cycle starter type Battery which has a minimum capacity of 650 CCA ( cold cranking amps )

I have a Warn winch on my landy -- will provide you links & info about the Above three , if you decide to go on with the Idea .

But my friendly & frank advice is you spend some time with the landy understanding & maintaining it & then invest in it if its your first Landy experience

Sudarshan
some more pics i clicked last Sunday,had a great time offroading at Satluj river, land-rover is beyond doubts a great off roader,can some gurus out here throw some light on the following
1-does this model came with or without limited slip differential
2- how is the PTO function operated.
3- is the 7.50.16 correct size,this landrover is fitted with 7.50.16,overlander made in Australia tyres,i feel like changing them to offroader type of tread tyres, should i do that or these are the correct tyres, mind it the tyres are made in 1997(arent they too old)
4-are the foot rest here-original or aftermarket,as they caused serious ground clearance issues as the vehicle got stuck due to them
here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Land Rover support group!-1.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-2.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-3.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-4.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-5.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-6.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-7.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-8.jpg  

Land Rover support group!-9.jpg  

inderpalgill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2012, 14:45   #179
BHPian

Hi Mr.Gill / Greetings Rajubhai

Allow me to share what little I know of the OD

Mr Gill the OD can be identified by looking through the seat box access, There are not many types available for the series landy here are a few I know
1- Fairey (later sold to the superwinch co)
2- GKN
3- Toro (santana)
4- Rocky mountain (roverdrive) these are new design only about 10-15 years ago, highly desirable since many of the ills suffered by the older ODs have been sorted for example the roverdrive shares the oil with the TC, all other ODs need to be checked for oil and topped up regularly.

ODs have 3 positions in / out and neutral you will have 3 neutral gears in your landy if you have an OD,
and you will have 16 forward gear ratios and 4 reverse gear ratios 20 gears in all.

If you need help with identifying your OD do post a few pics.
Old 31st January 2012, 17:07   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4er View Post
Hi Mr.Gill / Greetings Rajubhai

Allow me to share what little I know of the OD

Mr Gill the OD can be identified by looking through the seat box access, There are not many types available for the series landy here are a few I know
1- Fairey (later sold to the superwinch co)
2- GKN
3- Toro (santana)
4- Rocky mountain (roverdrive) these are new design only about 10-15 years ago, highly desirable since many of the ills suffered by the older ODs have been sorted for example the roverdrive shares the oil with the TC, all other ODs need to be checked for oil and topped up regularly.

ODs have 3 positions in / out and neutral you will have 3 neutral gears in your landy if you have an OD,
and you will have 16 forward gear ratios and 4 reverse gear ratios 20 gears in all.

If you need help with identifying your OD do post a few pics.
that is very informative,so kindly suggest what od is there as the sticker in the cabin reads, check od level periodically and also,some times when i was playing with the od lever the LD went in to -as u said OD neutral position,so i was a bit shocked to see the jeep not moving in any gear,then she moved when od engaged,i will be updating the pictures tommorow,when i go near the garage-Thanks mate!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks