Team-BHP - Land Rover support group!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Post-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/)
-   -   Land Rover support group! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/80099-land-rover-support-group.html)

Hello,I am from Pune. I have a Serise Land Rover,I am trying to find other Landy owners from Pune (Mumbai & others are also welcome).
The purpose of starting a new thread & reasons in short
1) Land Rovers, in India are scares,hard to find (even non running),they are becoming extinct.
2) Owners are finding it difficult to maintain (parts & all that)
So owners getting together,knowing each other will be benificial to all.We can help each other. We can plan outings .
I personally know Landy owners from Mumbai,Bengluru,& Colkata. (excuse for splling,but I prefer to call the Restored name). I also know few dealers for spares. I also happen to have few shop manuals,spare catalougs.I think I might help others.
This is my Third Landy now . I am a DIY type guy, I do all the jobs myself. But everybody is not so. People do have erstrictions. So I intend to help then get helped (its not so that I dont need help,It can come from any unexpected corner.)
So Landy owners you are welcome.
Posting some pictures. Yours Sudarshan.

hey Sudarshan gr8 to know theres guys like you around!! clap:We certainly need them !! Theres another support group on face book- LRCOI although its almost exclusive to Bangalore Landies, almost seven-eight of them including a Defender, but with little interaction. Where'd you get that Warn winch ?? thats a beauty!!!
regards
Polly
PS a pic of my landy from another thread on this site.

Well Mr. polly Singh ,I have gone through your restoration thread ,what to say ,its awasome. Singh is a True King.

I know the hardships in doing up a Landy, It really tests you. Perehaps its the most easy looking (only in looking ) job in all the restoration jobs ,but it is innocently deceptive .So hats off to your passion & efforts .
Alluminium body,its rust proof But its a tinmakers nightmare ( as some one has rightly pointed out ).But its even a painters nightmare too, because it needs the Itch primer when bared completly (before coating any thing else)
So is the chassis It provides great strength .It has no torsion, its a box shape, It provides great ride on off roads.But when it comes to repairing its not easy as the C shape (jeep,older). One needs to open the top plate to get access to the Inside of the box.It becomes difficult when it gets rusty.

Mr. Polly yours seems to be a late model series 2a,then how come it has got a Salsbury rear axcle, & a syncromesh gearbox ? (any way in Landies every vehicle seems to have different comination ) .

Land Rovers are surprissingly easy to handle on rough terrain, as one can see in Mr polly's photo. It has tilted so much( it will handle even more), It has a alluminium body (light weight on the top) & all the heavy machinary like the engine, the GB are perfectly placed in the chassis ,it dosent allow the vehicle to turn over even on steeper angles.

Great to see you Mr.Polly Singh .

Hello there, Sudarshan and Hi Polly, needless to say I followed your 88s restoration thread very closely.
I now own a S3-109 and a 2a-88. I have been through 6 series rebuilds including the current two. Raju has given me plenty of good tips.

I am the Warn and ARB distributor in India. Hence keep a low profile in case I am accused of using the forum to market products.

but I can freely talk about Landies.

I recently swapped my 88s diffs to the 109s so now have Sailsburys on both incase I have to swap brake parts or halfshafts it will be very convenient also i dont have to stock different brake spares.

Best Wishes

wow absolute beauties!! clap:where did you acquire them?? BGL??and how dod you maintain them in BGL??

Polly

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polly Singh (Post 1864204)
wow absolute beauties!! clap:where did you acquire them?? BGL??and how dod you maintain them in BGL??

Polly

Yeah I love them, Also they are both with tropical roof and have alpine windows makes the inside very comfy and airy. The 109 was from the Tibetan settlement in Byalaguppe, registered to the President of the settlement in India, dose it mean "the Dalai Lama" I ve had this longest my first series landy, It is a sweet runner. seats 11 and has an expedition roof rack that is hot dip galvanized and this landy dose at least 3 family trips a year. A relative who was visiting from the US once said the Landy had paid for itself on the very first trip.

The 88" found in Nagpur,. this is my toy and daily runner. I searched for 2 years for a diesel 88 Ken-"Sir Alek" tried and so did more than a dozen other Landy Buddies finally this beauty. Flew to Nagpur and drove her all the way to Bangalore, alone absolute bliss. 2 days of being at one with your new babe.

Hey I am rambling. Polly we should meet when you are in Bangalore next.
Your 88 is an absolute stunner as well...... Best Wishes

yes we should meet up and do a "land rover" appreciation meet". No Jeeps allowed no sir rl: so what vintage are they and how do you maintain them?? saw another add in autocar mag for another 88' at Nagpur which was bronze green, is it the same one, guy was asking 4.5 lacs!!

I bow to you Oh dalai lama!!lol:
regards
Polly

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polly Singh (Post 1865738)
yes we should meet up and do a "land rover" appreciation meet". No Jeeps allowed no sir lol: rl: so what vintage are they and how do you maintain them?? saw another add in autocar mag for another 88' at Nagpur which was bronze green, is it the same one, guy was asking 4.5 lacs!!

I bow to you Oh dalai lama!!lol:
regards
Polly

Yes we should do a Landy meet, Abhishek is here and so are a few others. did you mean series only meet? That is pretty exclusive any where in the world. even in the UK i think. They have series only meets for series ones twos and Series III even a light weight and military Landy meets.

A series Landy meet should be nice.

The series 2A is a genuine 1965. registered new in Bombay.

The SIII is a 1973 Mysore registered Landy reborn in Solihull in 1984.
You figure that one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polly Singh (Post 1865738)
so what vintage are they and how do you maintain them??
Polly

I missed that about maintaining Landies, I was fortunate 5 years before I got my first Landy I bought a Haines and a factory issued original Green Bible.

So just like you do I read and slog it works, It also helps that I have been restoring Motorcycles since '92. and I have Whitworth, BS and other tools collected over the years. So I rent space and a helper in a small garage take time off and get dirty.

Here is one pic while rebuilding my previous 2a 88

wow,nice job!! so did the Mysore landy go back to Solihull for an overhaul?? and what do you do for parts?? did you do a full restoration or didnt they need any?? have you converted to electronic fuel pump yet ?/
Polly

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polly Singh (Post 1867158)
wow,nice job!! so did the Mysore landy go back to Solihull for an overhaul?? and what do you do for parts?? did you do a full restoration or didnt they need any?? have you converted to electronic fuel pump yet ?/
Polly

Some day I will tell you the story of the s3. There is a LRO friend in Bombay who supplies parts. I will be glad to share the contact with you send me an email.

I havent changed to leccy pump the originals work fine. Never let me down except twice when I ran the tank dry. It is a bi*ch to pump so I now carry a 3 ft long bike clutch cable with with the button on the end. Lace the cable through the pump lever (has a convenient hole in it)and work the pump like flying a kite.

No have not done a full restoration as yet, Only complete engine and brake rebuilds 6 times, and sorting things out to work right,replace with as much original kit as possible. I kind of like to keep the POs mods for nice stories to tell, besides what do you do after a full restoration? the only deviation to the above is the Salisbury axles swap including the 11" brake drums on my 88" . This is for the difflock installation and I am sure you know these axles and their half shafts are close to indestructible.

Hey Polly you we should send Ken and Abhishek an invite to join in.

NM

Hi NM (4x4er) as I know you, the world is a small place.
May I suggest you both (Poly & you ),Pune is midway between Delhi & Bungluru so I invite both of you to join in :) .
There are others as well. so come in.
Yours Sudarshan (Raju, Rajubhai,- whatever, but essentially a Landy addict)

Hi all, here I am providing some addresses for spare parts (Land Rover)
1) Mr. Pramod Gupta, Kanal Enterprises
1 Mody chambers,Kennedy Bridge, Opera House(junction)
Mumbai 400 004
Tel. 23863756
2) this is for winches & other 4x4 support materials
Mr. Narayan Murthy
4x4 off road equipments & services
64 railway parallel rd. Kumar park west
Bangalore
mo.944805 4535
tel.40608700
3) Mr. Ashok Goyal (Cilygudi) mo.09832062261 (Land Rover parts)
Thease are the people with whome I have talked personally.
I have purchased parts from Mr. Gupta so many times .
Note. I have provided thease addresses for the convinence of the Land Rover owners , I do not have any Commercial(Financial) interest with thease people . Any person dealing with them must apply his own commensence & judgement.(like we do when we deal with strangers )

I will be also providing with some more information about possible use of parts from other Indian vehicles in Land Rovers
Yours Sudarshan

Hi all, sorry the post was doubled by mistake so deleted it

Dear Sudarshan, polly singh & 4*4er,

Congratulations for your prized possesions.

I have always been a fan of LR's and aspire to own one.Trying hard to find one and may be one day i could join this club.

Any help in finding one would be highly appreciated.