Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 16:23   #1
BHPian

My 1966 VW Beetle! A new restoration project

Hi!

I finally laid my hands on a much awaited Beetle Project car. Its a 1966, 1300 cc 6Volt vehicle with an original sunroof, california style bumpers and a genuine radio, left hand drive and original wheel rims on it.

Muuuuuch needs to be done but then thats what project cars are all about.

Requesting Pavan and other Beetle gurus to help me source parts for this vehicle and give general guidance on this project. I love the beetle and this is my first! So help with information, books, manuals, literature and whatever parts that you can.

So here we go
Attached Thumbnails
My 1966 VW Beetle! A new restoration project-rc-989.jpg  

My 1966 VW Beetle! A new restoration project-rc-990.jpg  

My 1966 VW Beetle! A new restoration project-rc-992.jpg  

My 1966 VW Beetle! A new restoration project-rc-996.jpg  

My 1966 VW Beetle! A new restoration project-rc-998.jpg  

My 1966 VW Beetle! A new restoration project-rc-999.jpg  

SA7VA5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2010, 17:13   #2
BANNED

Congratulations Buddy.

Thats indeed a genuine 1966 Bug. I can see lots of positives in this car, its got most of the original fittings,though the engine seems to be in bad shape, would not mind helping you with that.

Dont worry about the fittings, i can arrange them anytime you want.

Get the tinkering and brakes done first, later you can think about the engine and lastly the paint job.

Literature, well, i have some big fat books, presently with Srisha (He's got the same 1966 LHD Bug) will send you copies if needed.

I am excited, best of luck.
Old 27th April 2010, 11:08   #3
BHPian

Thanks Pavan for your prompt feedback and positive support!

Would definitely love to have a copy of the books that you are mentioning. Do let me know when and how you can help me with that.

The floor is DEAD GONE! So need to do that lot of body work and of course I plan to take the car off its chassis and do a full resurrection in my typical restoration style - Ground Up. Its going to be painfully slow but then thats what is going to give the best results on this bug.

Thanks once again and I look forward to hearing from you on the books.

Cheers!

Saurabh
Old 27th April 2010, 11:44   #4
BHPian

Congrats!

Hi SA7VA5,

Congratulations on your new acquisition. Hope you are able to restore it to its pristine glory.

I recently came across a thread discussing a well restored 1951 beetle and sharing the link with you so that you can try to achieve a similar high level of perfection with the car (or atleast push the chaps working on your car to move up to such high levels of professionalism). Check out http://www.oldbug.com/00split.htm . The car is available in California for $60,000!

Best of luck with the restoration. If you are the DIY sort of person, you will find the Idiots Guide to VW by Joh Muir quite good. I am told the Bentley manuals are also very good. You can order them all online at Flipkart or Infibeam.

Cheers,
Spyder
Old 27th April 2010, 12:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA7VA5 View Post
Thanks Pavan for your prompt feedback and positive support!

Would definitely love to have a copy of the books that you are mentioning. Do let me know when and how you can help me with that.

The floor is DEAD GONE! So need to do that lot of body work and of course I plan to take the car off its chassis and do a full resurrection in my typical restoration style - Ground Up. Its going to be painfully slow but then thats what is going to give the best results on this bug.

Thanks once again and I look forward to hearing from you on the books.

Cheers!

Saurabh
Hi Saurabh,

Congratulations, cant wait to see it fuly restored in your "typical" style. I shall make a copy of the books and send it to you, pls PM your mailing address.

During the process of restoration, i will follow this thread so that i can also learn from your restoration and possibly seek your help in sourcing some of the genuine parts which my beetle also needs.

All the very best.

Regards,

Srisha
Old 27th April 2010, 12:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Literature, well, i have some big fat books, presently with Srisha (He's got the same 1966 LHD Bug) will send you copies if needed.

I am excited, best of luck.
Pawan can I come over one weekend to see your books collection. I am also on a lookout for books on VW Beetle.
Old 27th April 2010, 12:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hi!

I finally laid my hands on a much awaited Beetle Project car. Its a 1966, 1300 cc 6Volt vehicle with an original sunroof, california style bumpers and a genuine radio, left hand drive and original wheel rims on it.

Muuuuuch needs to be done but then thats what project cars are all about.

Requesting Pavan and other Beetle gurus to help me source parts for this vehicle and give general guidance on this project. I love the beetle and this is my first! So help with information, books, manuals, literature and whatever parts that you can.

So here we go
Congrats Saurabh. This could be a 67 bug. The door handles you have in your bug seems to be those of 67. Remember they were only 1 year model handles. Some models of 67 did come with 6V too. Do share your Chassi no if possible.
Old 27th April 2010, 13:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
Congrats Saurabh. This could be a 67 bug. The door handles you have in your bug seems to be those of 67. Remember they were only 1 year model handles. Some models of 67 did come with 6V too. Do share your Chassi no if possible.
'67 model couldnt have been imported and registered in India in '66 - right?

I have checked the chassis no. and engine nos - they are indeed that of a '66 1300cc VW!

Cheers!
SA7VA5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2010, 14:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Wow Saurabh, we seem to share similar taste in automobilia. What next a centre light Fiat? Again congratulations buddy. Try to import parts from the US especially the seat covers and interiors. The quality is awesome and the pricing is right.
Old 27th April 2010, 15:04   #10
BHPian

Saurabh,
Good luck with the restoration. I'd suggest you firm up how you want to restore -- back to original, or just back to running condition, etc.

My own recc would be to get it back to original. Keep the 6V even. With electrical in proper condition, the 6V will be enough for the limited use an older car will typically see.

The sun-roof looks a bit smaller than the original factory size, so it could be after market though hard to tell from the pics. The birth certificate would clear up whether it was original or not -- you can get that from the VW museum.

Byas
Old 27th April 2010, 17:31   #11
BHPian

YES YOU ARE RIGHT and It will be taken back to its ORIGINAL self by the book as far as possible. Not just plain and simple running condition

So let the collective knowledge of VW Guru's flow in to this thread for this humble begining - promise you all a great collection of pics and restoration activities step by step.

I can see a long haul on this one for sure but I am ready!
Old 27th April 2010, 18:14   #12
BHPian

As far as books = from mechanical perspective the Bentley manual is generally considered the best for the later (60+) cars. The idiot guide is liked by some but also has a few mistakes. The best forum IMO for AC VW is thesamba.com. It has plenty of reference material.
Byas
Old 27th April 2010, 21:51   #13
BHPian

Quote:
'67 model couldnt have been imported and registered in India in '66 - right?

I have checked the chassis no. and engine nos - they are indeed that of a '66 1300cc VW!

Cheers!
Hmmm...yeah you are perhaps right. Maybe the door handles are not original in that case !! But overall a neat bug and has most of the rare body parts in it which in most cases people struggle to procure. Liked the radio. Any closer snaps of the same?
Old 28th April 2010, 11:37   #14
BHPian

Some more pics....this is just after the vehicle was offloaded frm the truck in Delhi...
Attached Thumbnails
My 1966 VW Beetle! A new restoration project-dsc00083-1.jpg  

My 1966 VW Beetle! A new restoration project-dsc00084-1.jpg  

My 1966 VW Beetle! A new restoration project-dsc00086-1.jpg  

My 1966 VW Beetle! A new restoration project-dsc00087-1.jpg  

My 1966 VW Beetle! A new restoration project-dsc00101-1.jpg  

My 1966 VW Beetle! A new restoration project-dsc00103-1.jpg  

My 1966 VW Beetle! A new restoration project-dsc00106-1.jpg  

Last edited by SA7VA5 : 28th April 2010 at 11:53.
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:32   #15
BHPian

Finally the car was loaded on a flat bed emergency tow truck using a winch to pull it up on the flatbed and the car was delivered to the workshop for start of the long and crazy haul on the body work.

Stay tuned as we progress....

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks