Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2010, 19:05   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Those seats (the one shown in Chanu's post no.118) were and are very uncomfortable to sit on
I had a chance to buy them for my car and after sitting on them for 5 min i started to feel the pain.
Were they exactly like the ones in the above pic.? IIRC, a model called the Deluxe around late 70s came with these seats, also with floor shift.
Old 5th June 2010, 19:41   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I thought the super-select too had the mirror with the light, as on the older 1100s?
Mmmm - Encyclopedia Karlosdevillea led me to believe that some superselects had the light walla mirror, and some (probably later ones) had the delight one.
If we notice, a lot of trim bits were carried forward from the SS to the early Delight - side trims, round side indicators, mirror, tail lights, and so forth.. In fact, the grille of an early delight looks like a straightened superselect grille !!

Last edited by SuperSelect : 5th June 2010 at 19:47.
Old 5th June 2010, 19:44   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Were they exactly like the ones in the above pic.? IIRC, a model called the Deluxe around late 70s came with these seats, also with floor shift.
Yes sir very much sir. Exactly the same seats were available and were taken out from a model which also had long steel bumper guards. I was offered these seats for 600Rs a pair.
Old 5th June 2010, 20:38   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
In fact, the grille of an early delight looks like a straightened superselect grille !!
Ahaa......so now you've given me an idea for the extra Superselect grille I have lying with me!! Muahahaha!!
OK ok just kidding!! Put that gun away now!

Quote:
Yes sir very much sir. Exactly the same seats were available and were taken out from a model which also had long steel bumper guards. I was offered these seats for 600Rs a pair.
So you mean to say that it was from an imported Delight??!!
Arre what a pity you had to let it also 'go'!!
Old 5th June 2010, 21:59   #125
BHPian

hi chanu the difference between the italian delight and the locally made are its got the 100mile tapemeter all the beedings are steel the front grille is metal its got provision for seatbelts it has bucketseats the raer seat can be folded the resting position check my car pics you will find the difference
Old 8th June 2010, 00:40   #126
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Imperial s.a sir for sharing the valuable information. I once again thank each and every one for sharing their knowledge in making Bala a Fiatian. I am sure in few years to come I should able to define the under hood machinery. He he !!

Some news updates of Appu. Last time I tried starting her with a new battery as the seller has given a non branded local battery which in no time dies upon me. To my SHOCK!! the car made some 'click, click' noise and thats it. I was spending sleepless nights for all the whole week and thought of getting her checked, again we tried our luck by spraying some WD40 on the battery terminals and again put the new battery Voila single twist fired the engine and lifted my spirits high.

I was told by the mechanic that the oil pump is weak and is unable to pump oil to the head so the valves are going dry, he adviced of getting the oil pump repaired at a lathe works and due which the oil hole and supply of oil will increase. Though I didn't understand the concept how its done but beliving the expertise and experience of the mechanic I am thinking of a try. Did anyone tried this? Any advice from you guys will definately help me.

Last edited by chanu : 8th June 2010 at 00:43.
Old 8th June 2010, 13:22   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Thanks Imperial s.a sir for sharing the valuable information. I once again thank each and every one for sharing their knowledge in making Bala a Fiatian. I am sure in few years to come I should able to define the under hood machinery. He he !!

Some news updates of Appu. Last time I tried starting her with a new battery as the seller has given a non branded local battery which in no time dies upon me. To my SHOCK!! the car made some 'click, click' noise and thats it. I was spending sleepless nights for all the whole week and thought of getting her checked, again we tried our luck by spraying some WD40 on the battery terminals and again put the new battery Voila single twist fired the engine and lifted my spirits high.

I was told by the mechanic that the oil pump is weak and is unable to pump oil to the head so the valves are going dry, he adviced of getting the oil pump repaired at a lathe works and due which the oil hole and supply of oil will increase. Though I didn't understand the concept how its done but beliving the expertise and experience of the mechanic I am thinking of a try. Did anyone tried this? Any advice from you guys will definately help me.
Bala bhai i strongly suggest you get the solenoid switch of your car checked if the problem is there of click click as this is the indication of faulty solenoid. Its a dicey affair that car started after WD-40 process. But the switch dies slowly and initial indication in APPU are somewhat similar to the gradual death of the solenoid switch.
Old 8th June 2010, 23:48   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bala bhai i strongly suggest you get the solenoid switch of your car checked if the problem is there of click click as this is the indication of faulty solenoid. Its a dicey affair that car started after WD-40 process. But the switch dies slowly and initial indication in APPU are somewhat similar to the gradual death of the solenoid switch.
Sorry Sagar you are dealing with a little illiterate friend in regards to cars engine. Now what is a solenoid switch and its function, How does it look, is that readily available.

I was not there when the mechanic started the car however I will confirm if its the same next time (click, click noise). I am planning to get her general servicing done this week and the Oil pump repair aswell. A friend of mine is helping me in this to a great extent, thanks a ton to him.
Old 9th June 2010, 09:38   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Sagar you are dealing with a little illiterate friend in regards to cars engine. Now what is a solenoid switch and its function, How does it look, is that readily available.

I was not there when the mechanic started the car however I will confirm if its the same next time (click, click noise). I am planning to get her general servicing done this week and the Oil pump repair aswell. A friend of mine is helping me in this to a great extent, thanks a ton to him.

Solenoid switch is golden in color and its function in layman terms is to close the circuit to the starter motor when the engine is cranked. It should be readily available.

However Milli's and elegant did not have a solenoid switch and selects and super selects has the solenoid switch in the starter motor assembly. In PP the solenoid is close to the steering arms (near the brake reservoir). I am unsure whether delite has the solenoid switch like the PP's or like the select and the super selects.

With respect to repairing the oil pump, I believe you are looking at the mechanism which has the strainer mechanism and is present in the oil sump and is driven from the cam. When you are saying the oil pump repair, I would advise you to first see what the current pressure is (Can be measured at the oil pressure in sufficient switch) or check whether the bypass oil filter gets warm with the engine running. Get both the bypass and the main filter cleaned before attempting to get the oil pump removed. Experts here can help with the necessary information.

Last edited by Cyberdoctorind : 9th June 2010 at 09:43.
Old 9th June 2010, 12:24   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Bala bhai i am extremely sorry if i sounded techy to you, here is the solenoid switch in your APPU. I think this will completely solve your problem of locating the switch in your car. Hope you get it checked before planning a long drive with 3-4 stops. Its available new in the market for Rs. 210 and the make is Autolek. FYI few days back one more tbhpian faced similar issue with his Padmini.
Attached Thumbnails
Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p230510_10.53_01.jpg  

Old 10th June 2010, 01:08   #131
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Shiva and nice to see you here. Sagar once again I salute your humbleness. I know the solenoid switch now. I will try and get a new one soon as the mech has got the new head packing, oil filter (i guess) and some other parts and asked me to get engine oil and the general servicing should be done this week and lets see how Appu behaves and In regards to oil pump as shiva was indicating "check oil pressure" can it be done before servicing as I am not sure what is the oil level in the engine at present ? Let's say its low then how do I go about it as its meaningless pouring new oil into the engine without cleaning/replacing the oil filters.
Old 10th June 2010, 07:58   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Shiva and nice to see you here. Sagar once again I salute your humbleness. I know the solenoid switch now. I will try and get a new one soon as the mech has got the new head packing, oil filter (i guess) and some other parts and asked me to get engine oil and the general servicing should be done this week and lets see how Appu behaves and In regards to oil pump as shiva was indicating "check oil pressure" can it be done before servicing as I am not sure what is the oil level in the engine at present ? Let's say its low then how do I go about it as its meaningless pouring new oil into the engine without cleaning/replacing the oil filters.
Thanks Bala bhai for your kind words. Regarding the low oil pressure, i would strongly suggest you to avoid any trial and error approach in this matter as engine will suffer a lot if oil is not being pumped into the chambers and rods. Get the pump checked only if any expert on the forum suggests you. Otherwise get the oil and oil filter changed after the servicing. The procedure is draining the old oil, replacing the filter with new one and pouring the new oil. Do keep in mind to warm the car before flushing out the old oil. Am not an expert to comment on this but have gone through this situation so thought of advising you.
Old 11th June 2010, 00:55   #133
Senior - BHPian

"Warm the engine" is it because to melt down the oil if thick or greasy so it can drain out efficently? or is there any specific reason.

I will discuss with the mechanic to try just replacing the oil and filters first and then go for the pump repairing if necessary but as per my mech analysis he is sure that the pump is not pumping sufficient oil so due to which the tappet valves are not getting the enough lubrication. I have opened the lid and checked there is no oil its just the smear feel. He is confident that the oil pump is gone weak. Can any body advice what is the best solution in this case.
Old 11th June 2010, 07:01   #134
Senior - BHPian

If that's the case, then do get your oil pump serviced as low oil pressure in the tappet area is an indication that the cylinders are also not getting enough oil circulated. Please do get it checked and pour the correct viscosity oil (SAE20W40) in the engine only using either a Purolator or an Elofic oil filter only.
Regarding warming the engine, you said it right that its for melting down the oil. The main reason for this is to achieve normal operating temperature before changing the oil as after the servicing the car gets cooler so pointed out this thing to you.
Old 11th June 2010, 10:34   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
"Warm the engine" is it because to melt down the oil if thick or greasy so it can drain out efficently? or is there any specific reason.

I will discuss with the mechanic to try just replacing the oil and filters first and then go for the pump repairing if necessary but as per my mech analysis he is sure that the pump is not pumping sufficient oil so due to which the tappet valves are not getting the enough lubrication. I have opened the lid and checked there is no oil its just the smear feel. He is confident that the oil pump is gone weak. Can any body advice what is the best solution in this case.

Follow this advice from the master and every thing will be fine, you will pinpoint who is the culprit

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1903525-post708.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks