Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2012, 14:30   #166
BHPian

Re: Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!

Small update: Managed to source the headlight nacelle in Bangalore (should be on its way to Pune soon), and am pretty close to getting the grabrail assy too. Meanwhile, the parts were primered and packed off to the tinker yesterday. Hardly any tinkering needed I guess. Except for the toolboxes to close properly, the skirt under the seat to align with the toolboxes, and other sundry details. Also, I computer-matched the paint shade I wanted with a really beautifully restored Bullet. Now we wait for the painter to do his thing!

Oh, and the painter insists that the chassis is to be painted black, regardless of the rest being green. I say no. Google-swami shows just one bottle green Jawa, and it has a black chassis, somehow doesn't fit. Any third opinion? Powertwin's final decision?

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 03:59   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Small update: Managed to source the headlight nacelle in Bangalore (should be on its way to Pune soon), and am pretty close to getting the grabrail assy too. Meanwhile, the parts were primered and packed off to the tinker yesterday. Hardly any tinkering needed I guess. Except for the toolboxes to close properly, the skirt under the seat to align with the toolboxes, and other sundry details. Also, I computer-matched the paint shade I wanted with a really beautifully restored Bullet. Now we wait for the painter to do his thing!

Oh, and the painter insists that the chassis is to be painted black, regardless of the rest being green. I say no. Google-swami shows just one bottle green Jawa, and it has a black chassis, somehow doesn't fit. Any third opinion? Powertwin's final decision?

Cheers,
Rahul

The entire bike including chassis should be one color and that is the way it was produced ..looks pretty odd to have a black chassis and a green body parts ...at-least need contrasting colurs is my thought ..

prashanth
Voyager is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 11:11   #168
BHPian

Prashy is right, there will be too many clashes of colors. Stick with one.
TuffRyder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 22:20   #169
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers,
Rahul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
The entire bike including chassis should be one color and that is the way it was produced ..looks pretty odd to have a black chassis and a green body parts ...at-least need contrasting colors is my thought ..

prashanth
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Yes!! Single tone is the best & guess that was the order, but not sure about bottle green..
Bottle green or Sherwood green will get " powerful" looks to Jawa bikes in particular
powertwin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 15:39   #170
BHPian

Quote:
The entire bike including chassis should be one color and that is the way it was produced...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Yes!! Single tone is the best & guess that was the order, but not sure about bottle green..
Bottle green or Sherwood green will get " powerful" looks to Jawa bikes in particular
Thanks everyone! Had decided on this already, just wanted to know if I was right or the painter. Settled it with him now, green it is!!

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 8th July 2012, 14:40   #171
BHPian

Ok, so she's back from paint! She goes for pin-striping tomorrow since the guy was closed this weekend. Colour's come out great, thanks to a beautiful green Bullet whose paint shade was copied.
Paint on small items like taillamp, wiring holder, etc is pending and will be done by Monday afternoon. After that, assembly begins!!

Here's a "Before" shot (taken on New Year's Day, a day after I bought her) and one of the painted tank, just for an idea of the colour. No, its not an old tank, its just smeared with diesel Forgot to take a pic when I cleaned up the tank, sorry!!

Anyway, enjoy!!
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-photo0293.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-photo0339.jpg  

Old 26th November 2012, 16:53   #172
BHPian

My painter, after his midlife crisis or whatever, decided to resurface. He's delivered all parts (with shoddy paintwork, obviously! But nothing stolen atleast.)

Spent the weekend getting the chassis standing. Had some issues with finding a suitably sized swingarm bush, but that worked out ok. Wheels given for lacing are back this morning. Engine's been mounted, suspension will be on this evening. Its only a matter of a couple of days now!!

I stopped working only at sundown, so no pics. Will try clicking a few today.

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 12:51   #173
BHPian

That is a big relief isnt it ,now that you have the parts just fast-track the assembling part.Once it is in one piece ,each bit can be redone to perfection ...

Prashanth

Quote:
My painter, after his midlife crisis or whatever, decided to resurface. He's delivered all parts (with shoddy paintwork, obviously! But nothing stolen atleast.)

Spent the weekend getting the chassis standing. Had some issues with finding a suitably sized swingarm bush, but that worked out ok. Wheels given for lacing are back this morning. Engine's been mounted, suspension will be on this evening. Its only a matter of a couple of days now!!

I stopped working only at sundown, so no pics. Will try clicking a few today.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 30th November 2012, 10:05   #174
BHPian

Paint seems to have turned out a tad better than I expected. Maybe it was done after his quest for inner peace or whatever. But I shall reserve my comments till the bubbling and chipping actually start.
General information: This painter's work comes with a guarantee that the paint will bubble in 2 months. Which means, before it even leaves his workshop. Don't ask why I went there, its a long story.

Rear mudguard seemed very badly tinkered, looked like a duck's backside when fitted. Chucked it. Found another (seems factory-fresh, unused), sent for paint to Bubble Babu.
Grab handle assy. mounting ear LH found to be too short. Again, this is a factory-fresh piece, not a locally-made one or altered in any way. Very strange, but mfg defects were quite commonplace I'm told. Made a template, sent for cut-weld job.

Front fork legs have very nasty pitting marks seen after chroming. They function ok, but look like crap. Will be changing them whenever a better pair comes along.

And in other news: Aluminium oil-seal misplaced, RH silencer (original Jawa-type, with Vijayalakshmi chrome) disappeared. The murkiness gets murkier, and is beginning to smell a little!

Looks like Santa Claus is not coming to town this Christmas. Maybe next year?

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 1st December 2012, 11:27   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Paint seems to have turned out a tad better than I expected. Maybe it was done after his quest for inner peace or whatever. But I shall reserve my comments till the bubbling and chipping actually start.
General information: This painter's work comes with a guarantee that the paint will bubble in 2 months. Which means, before it even leaves his workshop. Don't ask why I went there, its a long story.

Rear mudguard seemed very badly tinkered, looked like a duck's backside when fitted. Chucked it. Found another (seems factory-fresh, unused), sent for paint to Bubble Babu.
Grab handle assy. mounting ear LH found to be too short. Again, this is a factory-fresh piece, not a locally-made one or altered in any way. Very strange, but mfg defects were quite commonplace I'm told. Made a template, sent for cut-weld job.

Front fork legs have very nasty pitting marks seen after chroming. They function ok, but look like crap. Will be changing them whenever a better pair comes along.

And in other news: Aluminium oil-seal misplaced, RH silencer (original Jawa-type, with Vijayalakshmi chrome) disappeared. The murkiness gets murkier, and is beginning to smell a little!

Looks like Santa Claus is not coming to town this Christmas. Maybe next year?

Cheers,
Rahul
Dear Rahul - it is indeed nice to see you in this section of TeamBHP also. I think both of us are similar, you restore your Jawa, I restore my Fiats. I find solace in doing so (from all the madness that surrounds me, which you know). I hope you are not sailing in a similar boat? .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - tinkers and painters are what they are, there is precious little you can do about it!
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:10   #176
BHPian

Weekend update (for what its worth):

Piston and block installed. Gudgeon pin was the most beautiful fit I've seen so far! Small mercies!

New (NOS) rear mudguard survived at the painter's. Sent for pinstriping, should be back as I type this.

Clutch plates (Makino) and steel plates (NOS factory maal) installed. However, plates seem slightly too thick. Will check when I route the cables (maybe this evening after office).

Magneto stator thoroughly scrubbed in petrol, varnished and installed. Rotor wire-brush-scrubbed. Wondering if it will need a re-magnetisation, it didn't really deliver stellar performance when I last checked.
New wiring harness procured, routed and partially hooked up.

Tank was swathed in hideous masking tape (despite repeated begging/pleading/threats to Bubble Babu). It was recovered from his clutches and salvaged by liberal dousing in diesel. Need to do an epoxy coat on the inside.

Body panels installed, all alignments turned out perfect!! Need to procure some Enfield rubber beadings for the shield-toolbox edges.

Dunlops arrived from Bangalore. For those interested, the price of the same in Pune (and this is last year's stock) is a cool Rs. 1,000 more than in Bangalore. Tyres will be received this evening, wheels go up.

This evening I should be able to finish off the wiring and close up the headlamp casquette. Then its the final stretch, rubber items! No holdups foreseen there. Bike should be out by the weekend!

Behram sir, this painter is a real Number 1 item! He refused to paint the underside of the mudguards because "they are not seen anyway"!
My tinker has done a super job though. Could never have thought the body panels had any future hope!

Will try to make an update tonight.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 3rd December 2012, 19:42   #177
BHPian

Wow that is some good progress ,painters are the "know it all" folks ,mine was smart enough to say it used to be that way on the "Vaarginal " .

Anyways progress is good and fire her up soon .

prashanth
Old 3rd December 2012, 21:26   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Weekend update (for what its worth):

Dunlops arrived from Bangalore. For those interested, the price of the same in Pune (and this is last year's stock) is a cool Rs. 1,000 more than in Bangalore. Tyres will be received this evening, wheels go up.

Cheers,
Rahul
Please can you give some details of the tyres from where they were procured in Blore ? Also the rate would be helpful and are there any other makes available ?
Old 4th December 2012, 10:23   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Wow that is some good progress ,painters are the "know it all" folks ,mine was smart enough to say it used to be that way on the "Vaarginal " .

Anyways progress is good and fire her up soon .

prashanth
Thanks anna! Yesterday was quite unproductive, as I had some urgent work in the evening. Weekend deadline still looks good though. Will keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Please can you give some details of the tyres from where they were procured in Blore ? Also the rate would be helpful and are there any other makes available ?
Nirmal, see here for info. This time the Dunlops cost me Rs. 1,700 each (1 tyre + 1 tube), and free transport to Pune Well worth the effort, as compared to the 2500 they quoted for the ancient stock at Baldota Tyres in Pune.
Old 6th December 2012, 10:06   #180
BHPian

Rear mudguard returned, the duckiness persists. I discovered that one of the horizontally mounted mudguard bolts has sheared off loooong ago. Need to drill it out today. Maybe with these two bolts the mudguard will fit properly.

Managed to find the original Jawa ignition switch (not the one saying YEZDI at the 6 o'clock position) and the surrounding nut.

Headlight nacelle sitting wonky, realised the handle's a bit bent. But that will be addressed in time.

Grab handle assy still not given for welding! My mechanic has some strange idea for it, so lets wait and see.

So agenda for today after office is to drill out that old bolt, fit both mudguards and wheels, find and fit a speedo, finish up the wiring. And take a photo to post here. All before lights-out at the workshop!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks