Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2012, 13:53   #181
BHPian

Re: Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!

Sunday proved non-productive. Except that I finally fired her up!!
"Half-kick start" was actually what it was! Good strong heart, ticked like a quartz! Absolutely no unwanted knocking/scraping/grinding. Good signs.

Managed a photo too! Presenting Mr. Mane, pulling the throttle cable

Cheers,
Rahul
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-jawa3.jpg  

Old 12th December 2012, 01:33   #182
BHPian

Looks like Bottle green shade to me.

Hey Rahul you had started a thread of your own regarding restoration of your bike kindly post the pics in that.

Let pats Lucy be alone in here

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 12th December 2012, 10:08   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawabiker View Post
Looks like Bottle green shade to me.
Hello Ranjit,

Yes, it is a sort of bottle green indeed! I'd got the paint matched with a beautiful '66(?) Bullet of a friend. I've still not seen the entire bike in direct sunlight, but the shade on the individual parts was spot on.

Quote:
Hey Rahul you had started a thread of your own regarding restoration of your bike kindly post the pics in that.

Let pats Lucy be alone in here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Talking about jawas will never be a spam Rahul. Please do go ahead and keep this thread alive. Waiting to see pictures of your bike...
Regarding a thread, I've not started one because I have no pictures of WIP to put up. I can tell stories, but who likes to read! Patrick graciously permitted me to post my small updates here, so I thought I would. If I can just make one more post (with pic) when she's on the road, I promise to leave Lucy alone.

Cheers,
Rahul

PS: I think I'll start a thread called "Restoration of a 2008 Nokia X3" since I've dropped it in the workshop 5794 times! But again, no photos.

Last edited by voodoochild : 12th December 2012 at 10:11.
Old 12th December 2012, 23:29   #184
BHPian

Hey Rahul,

Mr.Mane is a good mechanic and knows on what he is working on and requirement of jawa/yezdi lovers

Keep us all posted regularly we all are eager to take a look at your bike.

P.S :---> Remember to take a photographer next time you go to the workshop.

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 13th December 2012, 23:48   #185
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Nirmal, see here for info. This time the Dunlops cost me Rs. 1,700 each (1 tyre + 1 tube), and free transport to Pune Well worth the effort, as compared to the 2500 they quoted for the ancient stock at Baldota Tyres in Pune.
Thanks a ton for the valuable tips, i picked up a set of the Michelin M45's for my Road King today from JC Road, cost R 2,600 each including the tube. The current rate being quoted here is R 1,600 ~ 1,800 for the Dunlops incl the tube.

Pics of the tyres and details of the shop are in the thread below for other owners if they are interested !

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2989840
Old 26th December 2012, 14:26   #186
BHPian

Rahul: Nice restoration going on there. Your welcome to post here as long as we dont go out of topic. I mainly started this tread so it can be a reference point for people. Probably it did help.
Old 18th January 2013, 11:19   #187
BHPian

Thanks Pat!

Well, an update: Took Nadia out for our first date last evening. Seems like she liked me! Yawned delightfully, and came to life when I nudged twice, then stood purring at me. She was raring to go when I asked her out, so I slotted her most willingly into gear and we went around the block, completely in step. All's well. Having her dolled up and then taking her home for dinner and drinks tonight.
Will give the dirty details tomorrow fellows, she won't mind me posting pics of her either

Wish me luck boys!

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 24th January 2013, 14:59   #188
BHPian

What happened to the pictures?
Old 24th January 2013, 16:36   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
What happened to the pictures?
So, here she is in all her glory, photographed so brilliantly. Don't we all just love mobile phones?

Sorry, will get some proper photos clicked this weekend.

Cheers,
Rahul
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc_0058.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc_0059.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc_0062.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc_0064.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc_0065.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc_0067.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc_0066.jpg  

voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 10:50   #190
BHPian

Hello all,

An update on my Nadia. She's completed 600km and is running fabulously! Had minor issues:

- Leakage from clutch case, sorted with new gasket.

- Crankcase oil drain plug sheared off! Need to drill and tap it out, not yet done. Dreading the aluminium chips in my crankcase!

- Leakage from exhaust collars. Tried sorting with asbestos rope, didn't work. Still trying.

- P43 carb (brand new) flooding at idle & part-throttle. Slide is very ill-fitting. My Jikov too turned out to have a similar problem. Looking for a replacement Jikov.

- Had an incident which felt like starter ratchet not engaging, preceded by massive clutch slippage. Traced it to a loose primary-drive sprocket! Either it had worked loose, or wasn't tightened properly in the first place! Sorted by tightening loose nut.

- Found a 6V Lucas ignition coil, replaced the 12V one.

Now my request for help:

- Currently running a 12V battery on a 6V charging system, obviously not optimal. Horn already dead. I was thinking of rewiring the headlight circuit to charge the battery in ignition switch positions 1 & 2, but I'd prefer to just install a 6V battery instead. No luck finding one though.

- Magneto recharging (magnetisation) and coil rewinding in Pune? My headlight gives auto drivers a superiority complex, and I don't really want to take my mag all the way to Ruby in Bangalore.

Can someone help with these please?

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 26th February 2013, 11:40   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers,
Rahul
Rahul,
You want to courier them across to me? Shall get it done on one of these weekends and send it back to you? But please word it across aptly so that I can ask Kennedy to do the job to your satisfaction.

Let me know your thoughts
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 11:50   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Rahul,
You want to courier them across to me?...
Thanks Mahesh. I'm in Bangalore maybe towards the end of March. If I find someone here in Pune to do the job before that, I'll give it a shot. Or else, I'll carry the mag to Bangalore and get it done personally. If all else fails, I shall PM you.

Thanks again for the offer! Much appreciated!

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 26th February 2013, 11:53   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again for the offer! Much appreciated!

Cheers,
Rahul
Your call end of the day , will be more than happy to get that rolling for you. Offer does not have any timelines so enjoy maadi
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 21:00   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

An update on my Nadia. She's completed 600km and is running fabulously! Had minor issues:

- Leakage from clutch case, sorted with new gasket.

- Crankcase oil drain plug sheared off! Need to drill and tap it out, not yet done. Dreading the aluminium chips in my crankcase!

- Leakage from exhaust collars. Tried sorting with asbestos rope, didn't work. Still trying.

- P43 carb (brand new) flooding at idle & part-throttle. Slide is very ill-fitting. My Jikov too turned out to have a similar problem. Looking for a replacement Jikov.

- Had an incident which felt like starter ratchet not engaging, preceded by massive clutch slippage. Traced it to a loose primary-drive sprocket! Either it had worked loose, or wasn't tightened properly in the first place! Sorted by tightening loose nut.

- Found a 6V Lucas ignition coil, replaced the 12V one.

Now my request for help:

- Currently running a 12V battery on a 6V charging system, obviously not optimal. Horn already dead. I was thinking of rewiring the headlight circuit to charge the battery in ignition switch positions 1 & 2, but I'd prefer to just install a 6V battery instead. No luck finding one though.

- Magneto recharging (magnetisation) and coil rewinding in Pune? My headlight gives auto drivers a superiority complex, and I don't really want to take my mag all the way to Ruby in Bangalore.

Cheers,
Rahul
Rahul armature and magnet are easily available, atleast magnets are why not replace both of them instead of rewinding? Magnet charging can be done in pune also find a old bullet garage they will help you here if you still prefer using the old one.

I wonder how can your new carb create a problem, please write to pacco industries and they are kind enough to reply back and there technicians calls you back as had happened with me when i had a problem. Exhaust collar leakages will be there for some time after some carbon settles in it will be stopped. But whats the joy of ridding a jawa when your pants are not spread with oil deposits.

Regards,
Ranjit
jawabiker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 09:42   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Rahul armature and magnet are easily available, atleast magnets are why not replace both of them instead of rewinding?
Yeah I'm looking for a spare too, but whats the point in throwing away this one if I can get it refurbished? I'll find another pair and use the better of the two.

Quote:
I wonder how can your new carb create a problem, please write to pacco industries
It is Delhi-made after all! However, through numerous new carbs, this is the first problematic one I've had, so I'm willing to let it slide. Flooding is not too bad, I'm still using it. Will replace when I gather some dough.

Quote:
But whats the joy of ridding a jawa when your pants are not spread with oil deposits.
My Roadking has not leaked a single drop of oil in 6 years, and the Jawa isn't going to teach her any bad habits now. I've had my share of stained/scorched/torn jeans, but it has to stop! There's no excuse for a bike to leak oil if she isn't British

Cheers,
Rahul

PS: Yesterday, Jawa headlamp glass shattered during beam alignment. Will replace today.

Most Viewed