Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2010, 20:53   #31
BHPian

Rahul: The stand on the bike right now is just a temporary one. I do have the aluminum stand, which has gone to the lathe to fix the bushes.

The Kyvacka originally did come with the aluminum stand and also the alumin PAL tankswitch. I dont know the reason but the ones that were exported to India came with the bakelite switch and the stand that you see on the regular Jawas. The type bakelight switch that you see only came in the 150 and the 175 cc.

I am planning on keeping this bakelite switch although I do have access to a aluminum one.

Update: The bike has been polished and pinstripping over. Just the final touches of assembly and I will post pictures soon. Tiny little problems cropping up.
Old 18th November 2010, 09:04   #32
BHPian

Nice restoration job!! Happy to see the bike is turning out to be an excellent example.
Old 19th November 2010, 17:36   #33
BHPian

Almost Complete

Hi Guys:

My bike is almost complete. I got it in this state a week back and I wanted to run in the engine a little bit before doing the final touchups. You always discover tiny little problems once you start riding the bike. The problems right now are:
1. The bend pipe collar nuts (flower nuts) were leaking, I tried a few of them but the problem persists. Found out the problem was with the bend pipe, so now have to get another one chromed and fixed.
2. The center stand has a big shake. Need to take it to the lathe and get new bushes fixed.

Other small work in the bike:
1. Need to find a jawa front brake cable.
2. The original PAL HT coil produced a very weak spark, so need to fix that.
3. Fix the taillamp. Right now, it is pretty crooked.
4. Try and get the original rear shox.
5. Import a steering lock.
6. Fix the thin fin collar nuts.
7. Fix the rubber beading. The painters somehow managed to break the current ones.

New additions on the bike:
1. Period levers.
2. Speedometer. Although this one is a kmph one, it is a period one. These came in the european market. I should have a Mph one, but Im happy enough with this one, as it is in excellent condition and works like a swiss clock.

I have covered around 150 km on the bike so far this week and she rides like a dream but does not sound like one. Once the leak in the bend pipe is fixed, it should sound better. Everything else works perfect, including the brake light and neutral light. I could not use the original rectifier as the battery was not charging well with it. So I have just left it as a cosmetic and fitted a KB one.

Also, I have a surprise addition that will come on the bike in probably a week's time. It has to be painted but the weather here is not being too friendly. Im sure the whole look of the bike is going to change drastically once that comes on. Its a period accessory that came from the factory (probably stopped in the late 50s).

Here are some pictures. The bike still needs to go for a round of polishing and then the teflon coating. I was riding the bike the whole week, so it is pretty dirty too. Just waiting for the weather to clear up before the final stage starts.

Let me know if I am missing out something on the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00271.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00272.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00273.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00274.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00275.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00276.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00277.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00278.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00279.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00280.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00281.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00282.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00283.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00284.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00285.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00286.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00287.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00288.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00289.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00290.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00291.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00292.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00293.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00294.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00295.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00296.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00297.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00298.jpg  

TuffRyder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2010, 20:13   #34
BHPian

Hi TuffRyder

This is such a sweet bike you have . Your hardwork is evident in the bike.

I wish good luck to you and your bike

Thankyou for sharing the bike with us

Keep Enjoying

Cheers
Old 21st November 2010, 13:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Also, I have a surprise addition that will come on the bike in probably a week's time.
Those dirt guards? (I'm not sure of what they are called)

Quote:
The bike still needs to go for a round of polishing and then the teflon coating.
What paint is this?

Quote:
The handle behind the seat is to be in chrome and also the front hub cover ought to be zinc plated/silver..

Last edited by gendarmee : 21st November 2010 at 13:49.
Old 22nd November 2010, 09:55   #36
BHPian

Congratulations for the almost-complete restoration!! How about the performance of the bike? It it able to make good speeds like its golden days?

With thanks and regards
Old 23rd November 2010, 20:07   #37
BHPian

Rawath: Thanks a million buddy.

Gendarmee:
The paint is Duco. A couple of colors were mixed to get the right shade. I matched it with a part in its original paint.
No the grabrail come in the body color. I refered the painting with a manual I have for this bike. As for the hubcap, I wanted the same finish as my engine and my wheels. I could not zinc plate my engine cases, so I got the whole thing buffed. This gives a uniform look. Also zinc gets scratched easily and grease and oil leave bad stains on it.

Glumus: The engine is running on it last oversize. The cylinder and the piston were in good order, so I just change the piston rings. The gear box has been rebuilt as is the clutch assembly. I am still running in the bike and a lot of parts need to wear out and seat properly before I can get optimum performance. All the bearing and bushes in the engine has been replaced. I am waiting for it to finish 250 km before I change the oil to a thicker grade oil and add Nulon and run it in for another 500 km before I would be able to see any good performance in it. But yeah, she does ride good
Old 23rd November 2010, 21:20   #38
BHPian

The Jawa has turned out fab.
Hats off to your perseverance to bring back to its original glory.
Your bike brings back old memories. My father had a Jawa and then an Yezdi. Sadly, they were all sold by the time I grew up to know a thing or two about them. I still have its keys safe with me like a treasure.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2010, 22:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

Wow - Rated 5* for the outcome... superb finish.
Old 24th November 2010, 00:31   #40
BANNED

This is arguably one of the Best outcome of a restoration seen,

Each and every inch of the Bike oozes out the passion and hard work you have put in.

No words to explain, Me tooo rated it 5-star.......!
Old 24th November 2010, 21:54   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys:

My bike is almost complete. I got it in this state a week back and I wanted to run in the engine a little bit before doing the final touchups. You always discover tiny little problems once you start riding the bike. The problems right now are:
1. The bend pipe collar nuts (flower nuts) were leaking, I tried a few of them but the problem persists. Found out the problem was with the bend pipe, so now have to get another one chromed and fixed.
2. The center stand has a big shake. Need to take it to the lathe and get new bushes fixed.

Other small work in the bike:
1. Need to find a jawa front brake cable.
2. The original PAL HT coil produced a very weak spark, so need to fix that.
3. Fix the taillamp. Right now, it is pretty crooked.
4. Try and get the original rear shox.
5. Import a steering lock.
6. Fix the thin fin collar nuts.
7. Fix the rubber beading. The painters somehow managed to break the current ones.

New additions on the bike:
1. Period levers.
2. Speedometer. Although this one is a kmph one, it is a period one. These came in the european market. I should have a Mph one, but Im happy enough with this one, as it is in excellent condition and works like a swiss clock.

I have covered around 150 km on the bike so far this week and she rides like a dream but does not sound like one. Once the leak in the bend pipe is fixed, it should sound better.

Think you are kidding, what else is there for a 353 JAWA???
Great work Pat!!
.. Can understand the efforts put in this project...keep it up Buddy!!
as for as the PAL power coil is concerned please preserve it as a memento of this project, just go for some new P.coil ( such a aged one is not reliable) for this pretty young lady!!!
Everything is excellent ,plz do concentrate on the seat topography( hope U understand?)....This is my opinion only... one can find the sharp edges at the down fall of the top fabric to the side profile & small gap between the Tank& seat can be avoided or minimized!!!
one word.......You have showed( or proved??) this is " the FOR EVER BIKE"..............for ever
Old 24th November 2010, 22:17   #42
BHPian

Quote:

The Kyvacka originally did come with the aluminum stand and also the alumin PAL tankswitch. I dont know the reason but the ones that were exported to India came with the bakelite switch and the stand that you see on the regular Jawas. The type bakelight switch that you see only came in the 150 and the 175 cc.

*I am planning on keeping this bakelite switch although I do have access to a aluminum one.
"The Kyvacka originally did come with the aluminum stand and also the alumin PAL tankswitch. "
Aluminum Stand was order of "Kyvakas"....that I knew, but not sure about Aluminum Instrument pod in Kyvaka.
but for sure " PERAK" Jawa s had Aluminum " instrument pods" {..here what tuffryder calls tank switch)

"I am planning on keeping this bakelite switch although I do have access to a aluminum one."

The Instrument pod we have in our "Kyvaka" Jawas is LEATHER......its not Bakelite as most of us think.( I am talking about the outer portion of the pod, but the bottom portion is Bakelite.
So you need not worry, you have the absolute stock instrument pod in your bike!!
If you have already sourced a Alloy pod, then no other go....get a PERAK Jawa
Old 25th November 2010, 11:55   #43
BHPian

Thank you everyone. It just makes it more worthwhile when so many people appreciate.

Powertwin: Sir, I have a couple of books on Jawa and none of the versions (01, 02, or 03) of the Kyvacka had the Leather/bakelite switch. The ogar, 150, 175 had them. Anyways, the ones that did come to India did have them

I am going to try my best to revive the HT coil, else like you said Im going to keep it as a memento.

As for the seat sir, Im waiting for time to take its course and curve out the seats. Also I left that gap between the tank and the seat on purpose. As the time passes, the gap does close, and when it closes, I do not want the cover to be all crumpled. The seat is brand new, foam and cushion. So this is going to compress a lot and spread out.

Today is the big day, Im going to get my bike fixed completely. Will post pictures soon.
Old 25th November 2010, 12:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am going to try my best to revive the HT coil, else like you said Im going to keep it as a memento.
If we are able to open the coil, we can use original exterior with new interior i.e. windings and oil. In that way we will be able to preserve the coil.
Old 25th November 2010, 17:23   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
If we are able to open the coil, we can use original exterior with new interior i.e. windings and oil. In that way we will be able to preserve the coil.
Till now I have not thought about this, have a Bosch( pencil type) coil & a Mag-O-marreli coil, which throw very weak sparks.....will try your method at any one of them

Most Viewed