Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 21:38   #46
BHPian

Just got back from the mechanic and the bike is done Cant wait to get a teflon coating on it but first I am going on a ride for at least 150 to 200 km.

Manish: That was exactly what I was thinking. This coil's outer has been pressfit and it is almost 50 years old. If I cant open it, Im thinking of making a fine cut and then sealing it with some strong adhesive.
Old 25th November 2010, 21:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Till now I have not thought about this, have a Bosch( pencil type) coil & a Mag-O-marreli coil, which throw very weak sparks.....will try your method at any one of them
Mag-O-marreli coil?? can we have the picture. MM coils also do came on fiats. I am looking for the same for my Fiat.
Old 25th November 2010, 23:45   #48
Team-BHP Support

Superb job! Wonder why you need further polishing, teflon etc How many classic 2 wheelers you have?
Old 26th November 2010, 19:30   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Mag-O-marreli coil?? can we have the picture. MM coils also do came on fiats. I am looking for the same for my Fiat.
Sure will post the pics of that magneto marreli coil, yes you are right, it did come in our Old Fiats, but this M-O-M coil belongs to my Piaggio Ape' 3 wheeler ( 1954)
Old 26th November 2010, 21:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure will post the pics of that magneto marreli coil, yes you are right, it did come in our Old Fiats, but this M-O-M coil belongs to my Piaggio Ape' 3 wheeler ( 1954)
A 3 wheeler , I knew of your fabulous collection of bikes but never knew of 3 and 4 wheelers. there isin't a thread on them. Please post their pictures.
Old 27th November 2010, 22:11   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Manish Bro,
Think we are , to some extend in this thread!!
As this is a dedicated thread for tuffryder's Kyavaka restoration project.
@ Tuffryder: Sorry , no more distractions hereafter
As Manish asked for M-O-M coil pic, here is it with some other power coils from its neighboring countries also..... ( from my stock)
1) Magneto marelli coil ( Italy) ,2) Ducati ( Italy-circa '40s ,Hard PVC outer & crude petroleum jelly, a two wheeler stuff though, 3)Bosch ,commonly known as Pencil coil- circa'40s & 4) a Cezh PAL, Hard wax outer, learned fully hand wound & manually wax plasterd - a rare coil, works fine!! & also a NOVI, white bakelite coil of our early Suvega s

PS: The last pic in this post is the Cezh PAL- hard wax plastered coil....ah ! haa! some thing related to tuffryder's thread
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-sdc12247.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-sdc122491.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-sdc12252.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-sdc12260.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-sdc12261.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-sdc12255.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-sdc12250.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 28th November 2010 at 17:45. Reason: No more than 2 smileys per post please
Old 27th November 2010, 22:49   #52
BHPian

Quote:
A 3 wheeler , I knew of your fabulous collection of bikes but never knew of 3 and 4 wheelers. there isin't a thread on them. Please post their pictures.
Yup !!, many of our buddies know about my 3 wheeler & local guys about my 2 cars ( Minor 1000 & a Millicento)
My Ape' project has been dragging for years together, even after sourcing complete missing parts at unbelievable time span
( thanks to our Italian friends like Mr.Icapo, Mr.VB)
Power train has been fixed, almost rear body portion was done (a digital copy of the piaggio Ape type B manual, was sourced by our Flickr group buddies, with complete dimensions of the machine,Italian language though)
in spite of all this our so called TINKER OR DENTER , was the bugger, who ditched me, even wood was sized, but every week he comes out with Cock and bull stories, have desided to wait till december, for sure to re start the work at January,with some other guy!!
ps: Only reason to choose that particular guy, was sentiment!!!
This particular guy has worked( tinkering only) on this same Tuk-tuk, ever since he was a 12 year kid.....he's 55+ now.
back to point, both of the cars I mentioned are in running condition, needs full re-built once again....decided no pics till then - Bad Sentiment!!

pps: Tuffryder is more concerned about my Ape', so I thought this thread was apt to write down, hope he never minds this distraction

Last edited by GTO : 28th November 2010 at 17:46. Reason: No more than 2 smileys per post please
Old 28th November 2010, 07:55   #53
Senior - BHPian

Boss, is the speedo a replacement. Try to go for the original one since you have the original petrol tank cap, ammeter key etc. Just a suggestion
Old 28th November 2010, 18:39   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post

I am waiting for it to finish 250 km before I change the oil to a thicker grade oil and add Nulon and run it in for another 500 km before I would be able to see any good performance in it. But yeah, she does ride good
What NULON additive ???
Hello Pat ,
If you are talking of Engine additive, then for these TWO stroke machines, add your Nulon engine oil additive with the PETROIL mixture only.
If you are talking about Nulon gear box oil additive { its NULON G70), plz don't do it with power trains with WET CLUTCHES , which has transmission oil contact with clutch plates, for sure it reduce the friction between the clucth plates.
No doubt your Nulon G70 ( the gearbox additive) will do good to your gears, bearings & stuff.....but if that oil combo contacts your clutch, for sure...there will be clutch slip.
Old 28th November 2010, 19:08   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82rawath View Post
Hi

I am doing up my 1966 250cc 353, can anyone let me know what is the colour scheme closest to Red

One of my friend tells me that i have to select Imperial Creamson Oil paint by Asian Paints and computerised it, this will comeup close to the Original Red supplied by the company
You are partially right, but the color name our JAWA's had was IMPERIAL MAROON N.C paint from ICI Duco ( N.C. >>>means nitro cellulose )

@ '60s & early '70s, Addsion Paints from Simpson group( Amalgamations group at present), was the only Automotive paint manufacturer other then ICI .
Addision, stopped manufacturing Automotive paints ( N.C base paints)
Asian paints, went on to making Automotive paints (N.C) only at end of '70s, particularly with the famous KRILO metallic paints .& still they are making enamel base paints for Automotive use...>>" ASPA",but it is cheap compared with N.C & PU base paints in both ....Cost & quality.
@ Tuffryder: You told that U mixed Duco paints to find this color, is that the N.C paint,which needs rubbing & polishing??? OR the Duco's PU paint, like Dupont?? ( PU >>> polyurethane base)
couldn't guess from the pics!!!

Last edited by powertwin : 28th November 2010 at 19:09.
Old 29th November 2010, 12:36   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Manish Bro,
Please allow us one more time to go offtrack. A comparision of both IG coil. Exterior look is identical.

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-ig-coil.jpg

Since I don't have the original IG coil, I am looking for a junk one to graft the original body to a new Lucas internals.
Old 30th November 2010, 14:49   #57
BHPian

Jaggu: This type of paint needs polishing and "rubbing" to get out the right shade and the Teflon coating is to protect it from surface scratches. I still have not done the teflon coating as I am not very satisfied with the paint. I might get it repainted after some time. As for the number of 2 wheelers, 14 is the count now.

Powertwin: The paint is the NC type, which needs the rubbing and polishing. Also I did add the nulon to the gearbox knowing that my clutch will slip. Since I have a new "half" gearbox and bushes have been redone, I needed to give my engine this treatment.

First, I ran in the engine for around 250 km without Nulon. I wanted maximum wear and tear so the parts seat in properly. After this, I drained the oil, added Shell Helix 20W50 oil and Nulon to the engine. With this, I added Nulon to 5 Liters of Petrol after the engine was hot enough and rode it for a distance of 80 km with one break. The engine is much smoother now but I will have to finish the break-in period and reset the clutch to get the maximum out of my engine.

Rajeev: The speedometer on my bike is the original one albiet the KMPH one and not the MPH. This is a period meter and got this one from Germany. Note: This is not the KMPH one that came on the Mysore Jawas. Also, the petrol cap is not the original one but a fairly good replica.

Here are pictures of the bike all done up. Sorry about the quality of the pictures. I need to invest in a good camera

In about a year or two's time, Im planning on stripping it down again and doing a thorough job. Probably I do have OCD.

Please do not comment no the bike's number. "I KNOW"
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00306.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00307.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00308.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00309.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00310.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00311.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00312.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00313.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00314.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00315.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00316.jpg  

Last edited by TuffRyder : 30th November 2010 at 14:55.
TuffRyder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2010, 14:58   #58
BHPian

Oh My God

What an outstanding bike she is...

TuffRyder: You rock mate

Wish i would have got the same leg sheilds for my 67 JAWA

Simply superb man i cant get my eyes off her
Old 30th November 2010, 15:02   #59
BHPian

ohwa wow!! that is neat restoration!! every bit is clean and neatly restored.

the bike itself has a really clean look (with the carb and other suff neatly encompassed in the casing). i am always fascinated by it - the JAWA

congos on the restoration
Old 30th November 2010, 15:11   #60
BHPian

oh man i have no words to say. Simply superb. Great to see these kind of works. Your mechanic has done a very good job.

How much did you spend to bring back the beauty to life.

Most Viewed