Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2011, 19:03   #106
BANNED

Re: Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!

TuffRyder: Have you tried Moosa and Firoze in Shivajinagar? I have a 69 Java restoration planned but confused about where to get it done. I could use your experience and expert opinions :-)

PS: I am at Bangalore Addu's shop is not very far away.
Old 7th July 2011, 00:07   #107
BHPian

Moosa and Firoze are really good. You need to know Addu to get the job done but this man knows his machines really well. With Addu, you need lots of patience. With moosa you need lots of money. So you choose.
Old 9th July 2011, 15:07   #108
BHPian

Dear Patric,

Hows the Bikes performance post the engine being done and been driven "X"
number of kilometers

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 9th July 2011, 23:54   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawabiker View Post
Dear Patric,

Hows the Bikes performance post the engine being done and been driven "X"
number of kilometers

Regards,
Ranjit
I wouldn't say the best but then she starts very, very easily and rides pretty well. I haven't been riding much of this bike, guess have only covered around 250 km till now. Down the line, I might pull the engine apart again and do it up. I am a sucker for perfection.
Old 11th July 2011, 10:47   #110
BHPian

Hey Patric,

Can u please update what is wrong in the engine and what are you going to do to resolve the problem as per your bikes renovation is concerned its been done up by one of the best Jawa mechie so that should not be a problem.

Has the oversize piston seated properly in the cylinder?

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 11th July 2011, 13:15   #111
BHPian

Hi:

The piston was not changed, just the rings. The problem area is the gearbox and clutch. These are not seated properly and are brand new. I am waiting for the bike to at least run 2k km and if problems persist, then that will need to be pulled out and checked again. As for the cylinder and piston, that part is running real smooth
Old 11th July 2011, 13:39   #112
BHPian

Awesome job Tuffryder, never seen a Jawa with those leg shields before...Great amount of time and work and money you have invested in this to keep the legacy alive. A question i have..is the tank meter and the fuel cap in its original colors? Don't you think they will look better if Chrome finished? This is IMHO, no offence please..i know virtually nothing about Jawa's.
Old 11th July 2011, 13:46   #113
BHPian

Same problem i had with my engine, i had to redo it once more as the gears were not all of a single brand. After redoing it now it runs ok.
The clutch is very smooth now it like deactivates when you engage a gear.

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 11th July 2011, 19:56   #114
BHPian

Car_love: The fuel lid is made of bakelite and the tank console is I am told made of some hardened leather on top and bakelite at the bottem. So there is no question of it being chromed On the other hand, the earlier models and some models of the same era did come with an aluminum console and a metal fueld lid. I am not sure if the bakelite stuff came only in the indian market as I have not seen any other 353 of other markets with it. No even in the manual.
Old 12th July 2011, 11:45   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Car_love: The fuel lid is made of bakelite and the tank console is I am told made of some hardened leather on top and bakelite at the bottem. So there is no question of it being chromed On the other hand, the earlier models and some models of the same era did come with an aluminum console and a metal fueld lid. I am not sure if the bakelite stuff came only in the indian market as I have not seen any other 353 of other markets with it. No even in the manual.
TuffRyder,
Pretty interesting travail and a journey you have had so far with the bike restoration. Would suggest you to put up the costs as well. 3 years is pretty good decent time for the Jawa Restoration . Would you be knowing Ainsley from Mysore? Have been seeing him for quite some years now and he has an amazing collection of Yezdi/Jawa bikes in his stable.
Unfortunately Jawa is not my cup of tea but this diary is engrossing for any automobile freak.
PS: Was a bit disappointed with the tires, please have them changed
Old 12th July 2011, 12:03   #116
BHPian

TuffRydier,

Happened to read the entire thread in half an hr and was not able move my eyes from your bike. No words man. Saw your bike personally in a rally in Shivajinagar Tasker Town Ground on Sunday 10th July.

Will be happy to meet you in person. Save Driving

Saleem
Old 12th July 2011, 20:18   #117
BHPian

MK: Like I had mentioned earlier, I did not keep track of the costs involved cos it was over a few years. It took me 3 years, because I was keen on collecting all the spares before the restoration started and I was in no hurry. After a rough calculation, I have spent around 80k+ which includes all the spares and costs for restoration excluding the bike. As for the tyres, only the front needs to be changed. Im waiting for a batch from Ceat. Can't seem to find ribbed tyres from Ceat around. Yes, I do know Ainsley and Gavin pretty well. Lovely collection.

Beetle Boy: Cheers man. Glad you liked the thread. Feel free to drop in any time you like.
Old 16th July 2011, 21:47   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
MK: Like I had mentioned earlier, I did not keep track of the costs involved cos it was over a few years. It took me 3 years, because I was keen on collecting all the spares before the restoration started and I was in no hurry. After a rough calculation, I have spent around 80k+ which includes all the spares and costs for restoration excluding the bike. As for the tyres, only the front needs to be changed. Im waiting for a batch from Ceat. Can't seem to find ribbed tyres from Ceat around. Yes, I do know Ainsley and Gavin pretty well. Lovely collection.
Pretty much thought that you would have spent around that much, life with Addu is no let up as well. Hopefully i get similar patience like you pen my RD 350 Accumulation/collection of spares which has been on since 2003. Been working with Yousuf for nearly 18 months now on the restoration part.
Bike should however be completed within this month end. Hopefully will bump into you one of these days.
Old 18th July 2011, 08:54   #119
BHPian

MK: All the best on your bike. Do post some pictures after it is done. My email ID is the same as my ID here at gmail.com.
Old 28th December 2011, 11:21   #120
BHPian

Dear Patric,

FOr the Nuetral light to be functional is there any gear arrangement in the engine as i need to get it working on mhy bike, can u update more on the same

Regards,
Ranjit

Most Viewed