Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:33   #136
BHPian

Re: Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
* you told but..you referred this green color of AJS ...as bottle green

**this color(Henna green) won't look good for ever Bike, b'coz it has forever value!!
* That probably came out wrong, what I actually meant to say was that this Henna Green might be another colour I'm interested in. Will try comparing the Atlas Goldline green to the Henna Green to see what differences come up.

** Czech fans vs. Brit bikers now?? I'm on the Czech side BTW!!

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:53   #137
BHPian

Ok so Google-anna seemed quite resourceful. Got this nice big pic of pretty much the exact colour I'm looking for.

Image source: Experiment Zer0 (Sean Burns): My Atlas Goldline
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-atlas-goldline.jpg  

Old 23rd February 2012, 10:27   #138
BHPian

voodoochild is it not Bottle Green as it seem non glossy and looks more sort of matt finish
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:52   #139
BHPian

Maybe so, but paint shade (green, red etc) and finish (matt, glossy, satin) aren't related right? I'm sure a certain red colour can be obtained with matt or glossy finish. I'm obviously aiming at an overall paint finish much better than what is available on an Atlas bicycle. Another picture on that link is of the frame number on the seat tube, where you can see the very average finishing of the paint.
Old 24th February 2012, 13:06   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Ok so Google-anna seemed quite resourceful. Got this nice big pic of pretty much the exact colour I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawabiker View Post
voodoochild is it not Bottle Green as it seem non glossy and looks more sort of matt finish
About the Bi-cycle factory paint::>>
Almost standard Bi-cycle paint, "stove enamel" painting was the order till 2000 -01
for all the major bicycle manufacturers like TI cycles, Hero, Atlas etc.,
This stove enamel is some thing like the earlier Hi-Lux enamel paint, but needs bit of baking....later instead of baking in huge Owens, they were cured in Booths under powerful lights!!
( here I mean "Standard Bicycles" is like the ones featured in voodoochild's post..it was usually Green & Black)
Now back to ATLAS GL green color: Though voodo was partially right..all the three Major Bicycle brands had same "Henna Green", but they had their own TRADE name for their Company 's Shade..like " Hercules Green" for TI cycles product, " Atlas green" for Atlas product & Hero Green for Hero Cycles product.
But none of these 3 shades was not readily available in the retail market, for after market job.
Though all of them were " Henna green", but had a slight change in Black tints, which can only be noticed if all the three samples inspected keeping " side by side"
@ jawabiker: Do you think Bicycle stove enamel paint are not that much glossy?
Standard colors are AS Glossy as our PU paints.,Usually Gloss can be seen in large areas...not in thin pipes

Quote:
Maybe so, but paint shade (green, red etc) and finish (matt, glossy, satin) aren't related right? I'm sure a certain red colour can be obtained with matt or glossy finish. I'm obviously aiming at an overall paint finish much better than what is available on an Atlas bicycle. Another picture on that link is of the frame number on the seat tube, where you can see the very average finishing of the paint.
And now Good news for " Imperial Maroon" shade hunters!!
Yes , just stumbled across a ICI 's Duco & 2K dealer's recent shade card
ICI has included " Imperial Maroon" in both their NC paint range
( both means>>> " Duco" &" DUCO regent" )
Duco regent is a bit expensive paint range , but this to a NC paint.
The only change is, the company doesnt supply in 1 liter or more capacity cans, instead they have supplied the pigments & formula for the Shade mixing to the retail outlets.
As many of us, even I thought only PU paints came with this kind of arrangement...but ICI has done it for their NC range to !!
really a WELCOME Change (in their range)
now from the cards>>

Imperial Maroon from Basic Duco range>

Imperial Maroon from Duco regent>

ps: As plenty of our dear painters have handled these shade cards in past 2 moths...the shades are visible in the pics have gone pale
pps: Czech Bikers, can approach the nearest ICI automotive paint outlets & have a copy of Virgin Cards
for Brit bike lovers like me....it is always in our mind

Last edited by karlosdeville : 24th February 2012 at 15:31. Reason: 2 smiley rule
powertwin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 13:26   #141
BHPian

powertwin sir thanks a lot for the detailed update.

Imperial Maroon on the recent shade cards is ready mix for our 1960 - 62 Jawa bikes Colour?

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 24th February 2012, 14:20   #142
BHPian

I am not sure if the shade will match with the original one right out of the box. I usually always get a small quantity and paint it on a sample piece (usually a flat piece of metal), do the finishing on it (Like rubbing, polishing, or giving a clear coat). After this if the color matches, then I go ahead with the whole bike. It is a long process but saves you a lot of disappointments.
Although not much of info... check out this page.
MZ-B, MZ and JAWA spareparts, English version
Old 24th February 2012, 15:06   #143
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
About the Bi-cycle factory paint::>>
Almost standard Bi-cycle paint, "stove enamel" painting was the order till 2000 -01
for all the major bicycle manufacturers like TI cycles, Hero, Atlas etc.,
This stove enamel is some thing like the earlier Hi-Lux enamel paint, but needs bit of baking....later instead of baking in huge Owens, they were cured in Booths under powerful lights!!
( here I mean "Standard Bicycles" is like the ones featured in voodoochild's post..it was usually Green & Black)
Now back to ATLAS GL green color: Though voodo was partially right..all the three Major Bicycle brands had same "Henna Green", but they had their own TRADE name for their Company 's Shade..like " Hercules Green" for TI cycles product, " Atlas green" for Atlas product & Hero Green for Hero Cycles product.
But none of these 3 shades was not readily available in the retail market, for after market job.
Though all of them were " Henna green", but had a slight change in Black tints, which can only be noticed if all the three samples inspected keeping " side by side"
@ jawabiker: Do you think Bicycle stove enamel paint are not that much glossy?
Standard colors are AS Glossy as our PU paints.,Usually Gloss can be seen in large areas...not in thin pipes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
I am not sure if the shade will match with the original one right out of the box. I usually always get a small quantity and paint it on a sample piece (usually a flat piece of metal), do the finishing on it (Like rubbing, polishing, or giving a clear coat). After this if the color matches, then I go ahead with the whole bike. It is a long process but saves you a lot of disappointments.
Although not much of info... check out this page.
MZ-B, MZ and JAWA spareparts, English version
Hey Patric as you have done up your bike can you please update all of us the Exact ratio / mixture required to achieve the "Imperial maroon" shade.
If possible you can get the ratio from the Paint Shop who has done the mixing for you; will certainly be helpful for all us to achieve this shade.

Regards,
Ranjit

Last edited by karlosdeville : 24th February 2012 at 15:30. Reason: Removing entire quote
Old 24th February 2012, 15:27   #144
BHPian

Ranjit: Wish the paint guys over here worked in ratios. It just works by the "eye" here. Mix this, mix that, and get a final shade. I am not sure if imperial maroon is the right shade, the color was commonly just called the jawa red or the actual one was Red 8850. You can use this video for reference of the shade.

Old 24th February 2012, 16:33   #145
BHPian

Quote:
..Im going to probably paint my bike again. Im not satisfied with the paint job.
Quote:
Hey Patric as you have done up your bike can you please update all of us the Exact ratio / mixture required to achieve the "Imperial maroon" shade.
If possible you can get the ratio from the Paint Shop who has done the mixing for you; will certainly be helpful for all us to achieve this shade.
Patrick mentioned that he wasn't satisfied with the paint, and might be re-painting the bike. Done yet?

Quote:
Link not working!! Might just be my wonderful office firewall though.

Quote:
"Henna Green", but they had their own TRADE name for their Company 's Shade..like " Hercules Green" for TI cycles product, "Atlas green" for Atlas product & Hero Green for Hero Cycles product.
So the Stove-Enamel paint is like a cost-cut version of the NC paint? Atlas Green might not be available off the shelf, even with Duco/DuPont but would a decent painter know what I'm talking about when I quote it? Is the Henna Green itself available? If so, I'll settle for a slightly darkened (more black) version of Henna Green. Will give a shot at mixing the black, and follow Pat's method of a trial on flat metal.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 24th February 2012, 23:44   #146
BHPian

Quote:
powertwin sir thanks a lot for the detailed update.

Imperial Maroon on the recent shade cards is ready mix for our 1960 - 62 Jawa bikes Colour?

Regards,
Ranjit
Yes, of course, the present Imperial Maroon is the shade exact shade of our '60 s Jawas.
The Shade card pics posted in my previous card, doesnt reveal the Shade,b'coz the card has loosed its real charm, that to in just photos , one can't visualize the exact shade.
Just get minimum 100ml of IM paint, paint in bike part, following exact procedures and feel the shade
powertwin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 11:54   #147
BHPian

No Rahul, I havent repainted my bike yet. It took me 6 months of running around to complete that bike and I dont have that kind of time now but in due course I will. I like the shade but not the finish. There are a few other bikes that will need my attention first.
Old 27th February 2012, 13:35   #148
BHPian

powertwin sir i have checked DUCO shade card the "IMPERAIL MARRON" certainly looks like the shade on 1960 - 62 jawas

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 1st March 2012, 10:33   #149
BHPian

So I've decided to bring all the relevant parts of my Jawa back to Bangalore for a good chrome job!! Quality of chrome here in Pune seems to be pathetic compared to what we have in Bangalore, and I'm not willing to risk it. So, bring it to Vijayalakshmi as usual? Or any other suggestions?

Have decided to get the paint done in Pune itself. Located a decent chap, saw some of his work on a friend's bike (TBHP member Leepower). Still haven't had the time to confirm whether DuPont has the Atlas green in their shade cards.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 1st March 2012, 10:38   #150
BHPian

Quote:
So I've decided to bring all the relevant parts of my Jawa back to Bangalore for a good chrome job!! Quality of chrome here in Pune seems to be pathetic compared to what we have in Bangalore, and I'm not willing to risk it. So, bring it to Vijayalakshmi as usual? Or any other suggestions?

Have decided to get the paint done in Pune itself. Located a decent chap, saw some of his work on a friend's bike (TBHP member Leepower). Still haven't had the time to confirm whether DuPont has the Atlas green in their shade cards.

Cheers,
Rahul
Chrome Job in Nashik is also done very well at "Ratnadeep" just a suggestion; i have done my bikes stuff from him; Quality is very good better than the Rest.

Its Nearby pune some odd 200 Kml

Regards,
Ranjit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks