Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2010, 13:41   #1
BHPian

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!

Hi Guys:

I recently started restoration work on my Jawa. I will detail the entire process in this thread. I know it is not appropriate to put up a bike restoration on a car forum but I find more genuine enthusiasts here than most other forums. To start off, I have always been a true fan of Jawas from a very young age. Bought my very own at the age of 16 and have been riding them since. Im a third generation Jawa rider in my family. Over the years, Ive learnt quite a bit from many of the Jawa lovers in Bangalore and around. In this thread, I will try and detail every small detail in the retoration process along with differences from the other Jawas and Yezdis. I am no expert, so please feel free to point out the mistakes.

Bike Details:
Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka
Year: 1962
Capacity: 250 cc
Mechanic: Addubhai
State of Registration: AP
Source: Gendarmee (thank you buddy for helping me get this one)

Here are some of the pictures of the bike as I got it.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-jawa.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00013.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00014.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00016.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00017.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00056.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00020.jpg  

TuffRyder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2010, 18:35   #2
BHPian

Sorry for the long delay between posts. My mech was busy with other bikes, hence the delay in restoration. Today, my engine parts returned from buffing. Im attaching a few identifiers for pre-1967 engines. Look at the markings inside the engine with the CZ logo and the part numbers. Also these engines started with the number 353. I chose to buff the entire engine as the aluminum after a few years would dull down and give it the classic look. I dont prefer the silver paint finish they do these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00096.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00098.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00120.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00121.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00122.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00136.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00137.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-dsc00138.jpg  

Old 10th August 2010, 09:47   #3
BHPian

Knowing Addu's work it might take a while, but she'll be a beauty. Congrats on the acquisition, and good luck with the restoration!!

Cheers
Rahul
Old 10th August 2010, 23:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

62 JAWA Congratulations Tuff Ryder, you've got a gem. Make sure you shape her up really nice. Your bike requires those flowing mudgaurds, front number plate, tank with meter, small tail lamp, original headlamp rim with the button type screw to remove and fix, brake and clutch levers, etc.

Do let me know if in case you are stuck or need any parts. All the best buddy
Old 11th August 2010, 10:11   #5
BHPian

Nice restoration thread. The bike seems to be in a good shape for an easier restoration. This is the Tank Key model isnt it? Congratulations!!!
Old 11th August 2010, 12:03   #6
BHPian

Glomus: Yes it is the tank key model. Yeah, the bike seems to be in good shape but then, there is a lot of work as the previous guys had done quick-fix work on many of the parts by welding them together including inside the engine. As you can see, a lot of original parts are missing.

Chanu: Thank you. I collected the spares over the last two years. Ive been into these bikes for over 15 years now and learnt quite a bit from my mentors. So the first thing I did was to collect the spares before starting anything. Ive got everything that this bike needs except for the Kyvacka type rear shox (its thinner than the usual double cup one we get), the MPH meter, and the Jawa-CZ grips. These are almost impossible to get here now. Im sure I will surely get one though in the future. There is something coming up on this bike though that I will keep for the end. There are only 3 of those pieces in India

Chanu: If you could find me a bakelite ignition switch cover, it would be great. The one that I have now is not in a good condition. Thanks for all the appreciation.

Last edited by TuffRyder : 11th August 2010 at 12:05.
Old 11th August 2010, 14:14   #7
BHPian

"If you could find me a bakelite ignition switch cover, it would be great. The one that I have now is not in a good condition. Thanks for all the appreciation"

There is an ad seen in very own TBhp. But this switch cover is in Aluminum. Here is the link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/classi...t/7619/cat/all

Check out if its useful for you.

With thanks and regards

Last edited by glomus123 : 11th August 2010 at 14:17.
Old 11th August 2010, 15:07   #8
BHPian

Thanks Glomus. That is a friend of mine who has done that. Im going great lengths to get this bike to the factory specs and this would kinda spoil it. Also, Im not sure if the aluminum cover would mess up the electricals. Im even covering parts that are not visible, to factory specs.
Old 11th August 2010, 19:57   #9
BHPian

Welding done INSIDE the engine??? Ouch! Lets hope its something you can undo. Have you managed to procure the gear-set, shifter assembly etc?

Could you post a pic/link of the narrower double-cup shocks you mentioned? Tried google, but cant really differentiate.

Cheers
Rahul
Old 11th August 2010, 20:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Are you planning to change the color or restore to stock red color? I'm having high hopes on your rebuild, keep up the good work on restoration & since you're doing it from scratch try doing a anti rust coating before starting the paint work.
Old 11th August 2010, 21:22   #11
BHPian

Voodoo: I dont have pictures of those shox but they are hard to differentiate on the pictures. I will try and get them though. Yes the welding was undone but had to be done carefully.

Aargee: Since Im retoring this bike to every small detail, it would be the stock red color. Thanks for your hopes and Im sure I wont let you down. The primer is already up, so the antirust is not possible now.

Before we seated the crank, we fit the neutral light switch and got it aligned. It is a small bakelight unit u will find in pre-1965 engines. Im attaching pictures of it and also of the mech making sure it worked after aligning it with the gear selecter.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-neutral1.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-neutral1-1.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-neutral1-2.jpg  

Old 11th August 2010, 21:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Are you sourcing OE engine bearings or reconditioning the existing ones? The crank case looks like the old one on the motorcycle. I hope you got them painted, but I still see some rust or is it primer (pic neutral1-2-.jpg)?
Old 11th August 2010, 21:59   #13
BHPian

Aargee: That cant be rust, since the entire crankcase is made of aluminium. Its probably residual gasket glue, or gasket itself. Also, engine bearings for the Jawa are pretty generic so not hard to procure. The ones in this bike seem new I guess, going by the photos atleast.

Tuffryder: Wow, the neutral switch is quite a find! Never seen anything like it on a Jawa before! Hope the attention to detail goes all the way. This will probably turn out to be one of the best-restored Jawas around. Eyes glued to this thread now!

Cheers
Rahul
Old 12th August 2010, 00:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Voodoo: I dont have pictures of those shox but they are hard to differentiate on the pictures.
These Czeck shocks have the locks at the bottom of the shocks which makes it easy to differentiate. At times top AL part is painted. Attaching pics.

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-img_4252.jpg
Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-img_4254.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
It is a small bakelight unit u will find in pre-1965 engines.
I know of this 65 & 66 one which came with the switch, the mechie connected the switch to speedometer light for it to work.
Old 13th August 2010, 12:26   #15
BHPian

Gendarmee: These shox are for the later models. Im attaching the pictures of the Kyvacka types which are thinner than the ones you have posted. Both of them are identical except for the diameter. Also probably that 65-66 was fitted with an older engine. Remember until 67, the engine was completely imported.

Argee and Voodo: Like voodo pointed out it is just residual glue. I put in SKF bearings in the engine. Vodoo, I wish it turns out to be the best restored but I have seen some simply amaznig machines around. At the end of the build, all that matters for me is me and my mechanic shud be completely satisfied. I'll always have critics and I hope I restore this to your liking too
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-shox_original.jpg  

Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!-shox_original1.jpg  

Last edited by TuffRyder : 13th August 2010 at 12:32.

Most Viewed