Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:44   #1
BHPian

Stuck OHV engine valve

Recently I had this horrible experience of an inlet valve of my Daimler Consort stuck in closed position. This was of course released without any major work. However I wrote about this on DLOC club forum.
The information I got in terms is very informative and covers many aspects.
I have attached this correspondence for those of you immersed in problems of keeping an old girl running.
I look forward hearing from members who have had similar problems as mine.
Happy reading
Attached Files
File Type: doc problematic OHV valve.doc (279.5 KB, 766 views)
Old 22nd June 2010, 17:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramanna View Post
Recently I had this horrible experience of an inlet valve of my Daimler Consort stuck in closed position. This was of course released without any major work. However I wrote about this on DLOC club forum.
The information I got in terms is very informative and covers many aspects.
I have attached this correspondence for those of you immersed in problems of keeping an old girl running.
I look forward hearing from members who have had similar problems as mine.
Happy reading
Hi,

I read the whole attachment containing all the posts. The reason why the valve got stuck is the petrol in the tank was old. Petrol has a shelf live of 2- 2.5 months and after that it becomes sticky. This sticky petrol results in making the valve get stuck. I also saw that you have mentioned that a friend of yours has mentioned that you have to open the tapid cover (valve cover as mentioned) and apply some spray, this shouldn't be the case at all. Now how do we make sure this doesn't happen again ? There are diferent ways of doin this. One way is to not fill too much petrol in one go and keep running the engine atleast once a week, so that this petrol doesn't become sticky & you caburn out the petrol so that this doesnt happen again. Second thing you need to do for the next 2 months or so is to use 2T mix which is avaiable in certain petrol pumps which will help to lubricate the valves well and even the ratio is maintained. If you do this then you shouldn't have to open the tapid cover provided the tapids have been adjusted accurately.

You are lucky that the engine didn't start again other wise you could have been in serious trouble with it.

Hope this helps

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks