Lambretta 18 41.86%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 23:37   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Thanks Girish.Indeed Flaming orange will be a head turner.I had few questions:
- Does white or black rubber beading look good on orange shade?
- were rear view mirrors part of the fitment for Vespa? How can i fit these?
Hillram sir,

- Black rubber will look good with orange.

- I don't see any place for mirror in my Vespa, using a bracket like the other photo would be possible.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
1970 Vespa - Restoration of a Wasp! EDIT: Restored Pics on Page 4-picture-051.jpg  

1970 Vespa - Restoration of a Wasp! EDIT: Restored Pics on Page 4-img_0396.jpg  

1970 Vespa - Restoration of a Wasp! EDIT: Restored Pics on Page 4-vehlilb05.jpg  

Old 1st July 2010, 15:26   #32
Senior - BHPian

@Girish..the orange white dual shade looks cool.
The side mirrors are seen here on a Lambretta.Need to figure out how to put them on a Vespa.
Old 2nd July 2010, 01:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

On wednesday went to an Auto Store and found these beauties, In all probability repro units, he also had full white rubber set for 2900 bucks

1970 Vespa - Restoration of a Wasp! EDIT: Restored Pics on Page 4-dsc06733.jpg

1970 Vespa - Restoration of a Wasp! EDIT: Restored Pics on Page 4-dsc06735.jpg
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

Day 4 of Restoration

Denting work has been completed this afternoon.
Highlight of this part of the restoration is a replacement of under sheet of the Foot board with a new one as this part was badly rusted.The Wasp looks much stronger now from a Chassis point of view.
Rest of the denting has been completed as per my satisfaction and Wasp moved to the painting booth.
Heavy rains and cloudy atmosphere could play a spoil sport in my painting phase of restoration as Im against commencing any paint job unless it gets sunny.This could delay the completion of the restoration by next wednesday.
Attached Thumbnails
1970 Vespa - Restoration of a Wasp! EDIT: Restored Pics on Page 4-dsc00002.jpg  

1970 Vespa - Restoration of a Wasp! EDIT: Restored Pics on Page 4-dsc00003.jpg  

1970 Vespa - Restoration of a Wasp! EDIT: Restored Pics on Page 4-dsc00004.jpg  

1970 Vespa - Restoration of a Wasp! EDIT: Restored Pics on Page 4-dsc00007.jpg  

Old 6th July 2010, 09:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Denting work has been completed this afternoon.
Highlight of this part of the restoration is a replacement of under sheet of the Foot board with a new one as this part was badly rusted.The Wasp looks much stronger now from a Chassis point of view.
Rest of the denting has been completed as per my satisfaction and Wasp moved to the painting booth.
Heavy rains and cloudy atmosphere could play a spoil sport in my painting phase of restoration as Im against commencing any paint job unless it gets sunny.This could delay the completion of the restoration by next wednesday.

Any updates about the Wasp? Eagerly waiting for some WIP pics

Pramod
Old 6th July 2010, 13:38   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Any updates about the Wasp? Eagerly waiting for some WIP pics

Pramod
Thanks for your interest Pramod.
Its been raining in Hyderabad for the last 4 days and the climate is damp and wet,rendering a halt to the restoration work on the Wasp.
But this evening should see some progress.
Old 6th July 2010, 14:05   #37
BHPian

a special one for the Vespa lovers

OT ... but thought the Vespa lovers would like to see this.
@ mods if this is posted earlier please remove it.
Attached Thumbnails
1970 Vespa - Restoration of a Wasp! EDIT: Restored Pics on Page 4-woodenvespa1.jpg  

Old 6th July 2010, 14:24   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmohankumar View Post
OT ... but thought the Vespa lovers would like to see this.
@ mods if this is posted earlier please remove it.
Indeed this is a very special Vespa model and very famous for its wood finish.Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 6th July 2010, 19:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Day 7 of Restoration

Rain spoils everything...according to me !!!
Past 3 days have gone damp squib as the wasp was lying with out any attention.today the sun shone and so did my smile.
Wasp went through a coat of redoxide followed by the application of the paste (known as "lappum").
Once the paste settles and dries,it will be scrapped through and a final coat of redoxide will be given to get an ultra smooth surface.This is slated to get over tomorrow evening.
Engine needed some attention as it turned out to that the fly wheel and the magneto were defective.It had to be opened afterall.
Im getting all the engine work done with new oil seals,packing etc,since it had to be opened.Since this is parallely running with the painting job,the timelines wont be extended.

One question to pundits: Should i have the glove box fitted below the handle bar or leave as it is.I was under the impression that last set of Vespas came with the glove compartment.
A clarification would help me !!!
Attached Thumbnails
1970 Vespa - Restoration of a Wasp! EDIT: Restored Pics on Page 4-dsc00007a.jpg  

1970 Vespa - Restoration of a Wasp! EDIT: Restored Pics on Page 4-dsc00008.jpg  

1970 Vespa - Restoration of a Wasp! EDIT: Restored Pics on Page 4-dsc00009.jpg  

Old 6th July 2010, 22:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rain spoils everything...according to me !!!
Past 3 days have gone damp squib as the wasp was lying with out any attention.today the sun shone and so did my smile.
Wasp went through a coat of redoxide followed by the application of the paste (known as "lappum").
Once the paste settles and dries,it will be scrapped through and a final coat of redoxide will be given to get an ultra smooth surface.This is slated to get over tomorrow evening.
Engine needed some attention as it turned out to that the fly wheel and the magneto were defective.It had to be opened afterall.
Im getting all the engine work done with new oil seals,packing etc,since it had to be opened.Since this is parallely running with the painting job,the timelines wont be extended.

One question to pundits: Should i have the glove box fitted below the handle bar or leave as it is.I was under the impression that last set of Vespas came with the glove compartment.
A clarification would help me !!!
Is this getting done at the Detroit of Hyderabad(Karkhana)? I had a very nasty experience painting my esteem there, the Lapam on the bonnet didn't dry fully and finally the entire paint on the bonnet cracked, Why i asked is because, the people there resort to a lot of shortcuts to finish the job, and you need to be really watchful.

Pramod
Old 6th July 2010, 23:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

"I am not a pundit but yes definately know chantings" he he.. Ram you can try the rexine bag, I did that for period look, if not you can still continue with the LML glove box which gives neat look to the scooter but don't go for that bulky box it spoils the look. I am also trying one LML box. Apart from this Ram ask the painter about something called "Inch patti" which is the best procedure in painting my Flying Sparrow (vespa 64) had been done and till date paint shines and makes me smile.
Old 7th July 2010, 03:48   #42
Senior - BHPian

Pramod,my restoration is happening at Nampally.Thankfully i dont go to Kharkhana.

Bala..What i need to know,if the period Vespa,circa 1970 come with this bulky glove box,as I would like to preserve the original look.Can you clarify this?Because Im acquiring another 62 Vespa which doesnt definitly come with a glove compartment and I want my 70 Vespa look different from the 62 Vespa.
Will definitly ask my painter for the new mantra you have given.Thanks for the tip pal !!

Last edited by hillram : 7th July 2010 at 03:53.
Old 7th July 2010, 09:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

Man, you made me nostalgic , Nampally has got some of the best scooter/Bike mechs in hyderabad, best of luck.

Pramod
Old 7th July 2010, 19:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Day 8 of restoration

The redoxidisation phase has been completed finally as the sun god shined on me and i seem to be close to my deadline.
Painting will commence noon tomorrow.Im posting a last pic under restoration phase and the next wave will be the Orange Wasp in its full form!!!
Attached Thumbnails
1970 Vespa - Restoration of a Wasp! EDIT: Restored Pics on Page 4-dsc00010a.jpg  

Old 7th July 2010, 21:47   #45
BHPian

So next photo by tomorrow evening will be campfire orange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best luck for full sunshine tomorrow!!!!!!!
But you have not told about reems. Are they dual tone (white-orange) or silver grey or pure orange?
Waiting for tomorrow's photos.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks