Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2010, 18:07   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
my friend,
where are you getting JAWAs or yezdis for 5000-7000 INR?At least in Kerala ,you cannot get a running Yezdi for less than 15000 and Jawa for less than 25000!
Well i live in delhi , have 2 of them here and 4 in Lucknow all were picked up in the 2.5/7k range within the past year , yes prices have appreciated but not to 25k levels , perhaps i should send them all down to you !
wbd8779 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2010, 20:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Well i live in delhi , have 2 of them here and 4 in Lucknow all were picked up in the 2.5/7k range within the past year , yes prices have appreciated but not to 25k levels , perhaps i should send them all down to you !
most welcome.Here bikes are more a fad than scooters.
fully restored Vijai supers and lambrettas(LI) sell for not more than Rs.25000/-
Unrestored lambrettas sell at an average of 10000-12000.range
Old 3rd July 2010, 20:36   #33
BHPian

[quote=vnabhi;1962283]The other one must have been a Mac 1.75 S----it was a more powerful variant that was introduced in the early 70s.[/quote]
It was LAMBY Mac 175, & introduced at early 80's
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:00   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Lamby and MAC 175S are both DIFFERENT models. Lamby was 150cc, hence the badging Lamby150, whereas MAC (said to have been named after MA Chidambaram, founder of API) 175S was a 175cc variant. It was never badged or sold with the name "Lamby" or "Lambretta".

Here is a period brochure pic. showing the two different variants, Lamby and MAC:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...a-sept-79a.jpg
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:15   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Lamby and MAC 175S are both DIFFERENT models. Lamby was 150cc, hence the badging Lamby150, whereas MAC (said to have been named after MA Chidambaram, founder of API) 175S was a 175cc variant. It was never badged or sold with the name "Lamby" or "Lambretta".
Here is a period brochure pic. showing the two different variants, Lamby and MAC:
Shyam the brochure is really nostalgic.Never knew about the M.A. Chidambaram connection with the MAC name.
In fact Innocenti the makers of Lambretta had the TV 175 Series, a 175 cc variant.
Lambretta-Vijai racket | Exporters make hay while Lambrettas / Vijais / Vespas shine-tv175series2.jpg

Lambretta-Vijai racket | Exporters make hay while Lambrettas / Vijais / Vespas shine-tv175series-2.jpg
(source www.ilambretta.com )

[quote=powertwin;1965544]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The other one must have been a Mac 1.75 S----it was a more powerful variant that was introduced in the early 70s.[/quote]
The Mac 175 was introduced sometime in 1974-75 by API and was offered as an alternative to those who had earlier booked the Li150, as and when they were offered the delivery notes.It was costing some Rs 5200 as compared to the Rs 4800 (on road cost Maharashtra) of the Li 150.
It had a large black taillight and the black metal stripes on the side panels with the Mac 175 badge, as the brochure by Stanher above illustrates it better.These helped differentiate it from the Li150.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd July 2010 at 22:19.
Old 4th July 2010, 17:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
@harit some points you have put forth are valid. Imports need to be liberalised to have a level play field...................................But the overall trend will be meteoric price rises.
So for now the arithmetic will be:
2 Landmasters = 1 Lambretta D
2 Fiat Dukkars = 1 Lambretta D
2 Ambassadors Mark I = 1 Lambretta LD
and so on!
Hi Anjan,

If I understood you correctly, according to you the export of Lamby's & LD's etc. has raised their prices. Did I understand correctly? If yes, IMHO I feel that you are only partly correct.
Scooters did get exported, maybe a few LD's too, but in the first place, how many LD's were around to start with? I remember that very few came to rally's, and many rallies had none present at all. After values went up they were being resurrected. And so LD spares also became scarce and expensive. But did the value go up because of exports? I am not sure.
You have mentioned 2 Fiat Dukkars = 1 LD. Are you sure? A good Dukkar commands atleast 1.5L, and not because they were exported. Local demand has increased tremendously. I know that maybe last year the price was around 60K, but today? A good car with small headlight and largely original command such a price today.
A reality is that everything is going up, and the main factor is demand, even some from abroad, but to my knowledge there were not too many LD'd extant in the first place.

Cheers harit
Old 4th July 2010, 22:47   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
This is a really sad situation we are in. But have we put ourselves in it? If yes, we must do something to stop it. Foremost, if we come across dealers who are exporting classics, we must report it to the RTOs or concenred authorities or the media.

Check out this article.

Old beauties ditch Indian shores - dnaindia.com

Cheers
Tuff Ryder The present law banning exports of automobiles made till Dec 31 1960 was enacted when Mr Mohan Dharia was the Union Commerce Minister in the 1970's. In fact this law should cover exports of automobiles that are either no longer in production or more than 10 years old.It means that if this law is enacted in 2010 the law should disallow a 2000 model from being exported.Thats the only way to save our precious classic and vintage wealth that is being plundered.
harit Like any other aficionadoI am worried about nothing else other than the disappearance of classic and vintage beauties of any kind, from our country.That must not happen and I am again taking up the matter with law makers at the appropriate level.The prices are no matter for anyone but our wealth should remain within our shores.I am sure I am amply clear.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 13:25   #38
BHPian

re: Lambretta-Vijai racket | Exporters make hay while Lambrettas / Vijais / Vespas shine

I am not sure if this is the right thread but I want to mention this SOMEWHERE. (correct me Mods, if I am wrong)
My neighbourhood mechanic mentioned two scooters (a lamby and a vijay super) lying in a scrap yard in a nearby village. The scrap-yard guy wants 6 thousand/scooter (I am sure the mech is including his sizeable commission in it). In all possibility they are in very bad shape and they wont have papers. I have my exams in the near future so I cant go and check them out myself. If anyone is interested, I will be more than happy to direct them towards the mechanic.

PS: They are near Belgaum, Karnataka.
sir_u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 19:56   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Lambretta-Vijai racket | Exporters make hay while Lambrettas / Vijais / Vespas shine

With the Euro crises looming large on Europe's economic health and the recessionary trends there, the Lambretta and Vijai exports appear to have hit a speed breaker as of now, slowing down from the unprecedented levels it had reached when this thread was put up.
As and when Europe's economy gets booming, we should be ready to see more and more Lambrettas and Vijais leaving the Indian shores.
As such, the number of these scooters we sight on the roads or in workshops and even junked or rotting ones in our country have got greatly reduced these days.
The ones in good or running condition if available for sale, are generally tagged with unbelievable prices.Most owners realise that they own something that is becoming rare and in demand.
Old 1st September 2021, 23:29   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Lambretta-Vijai racket | Exporters make hay while Lambrettas / Vijais / Vespas shine-fb_img_1630518792833.jpg

(image courtesy Mr Manish)

The focus of the fly by night exporters moves to older classic Vespas now. Lambrettas are rare and quite costly in the local market. Their numbers have drastically dwindled.

Now the Classic Vespas are in demand. All these appear to be locally restored and sourced from various places in Maharashtra. Mumbai will be the port of exit and the consignment is shown as destined to France. These Desi restorers will rebadge all as Vespas to get as much moolah. Those featured in the picture are from the 1960's. The BMH is from 1959. The Bajaj badge will not earn money for them in Europe.

Lambrettas and Vijais started leaving our shores about 10-11 yrs ago. Each was sold for an average of 2, 000-2, 500 UK pounds mainly in the UK and Italy.

Sadly, there is presently a Central law that only bans export of automobiles of pre 1960 era and not for the later ones.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 1st September 2021 at 23:45.
Old 2nd September 2021, 00:02   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Attachment 2201262

(image courtesy Mr Manish)
The BMF Vespa to the front left is from 1959. The export ban is effective on this scooter.

(please read BMF and not BMH as in previous post)
Old 2nd September 2021, 10:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lambretta-Vijai racket | Exporters make hay while Lambrettas / Vijais / Vespas shine

Why call this a racket? Indians don't value these vintage pieces, and there is demand overseas. Let them treasure the vehicles in Europe at least. I feel bad when capable RX 100s and other two strokes from the 80/90s are not street legal over here. Suggest we amend the title slightly, and remove the 'racket' word

Last edited by Sebring : 2nd September 2021 at 10:29.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks