Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:55   #316
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)

Hi All

I was surfing the net the other day found this article on the bajaj scooter and a few memories down the nostalgic lane ,I am sure we all must have seen people doing the same

Courtsey: Hamara Bajaj – fond memories almost coming to an end | ajithprasad.com

The article was so nice i would like to share it with you all

Hamara Bajaj

The Bajaj scooter – ‘Hamara Bajaj’ as in Rahul Bajaj’s most successful campaign – has been there in the Indian market for almost 40 years with three models – the most successful Chetak, Super and 150. For the middle class Indian family consisting of a husband, wife and two to four kids, this vehicle was like their family member that carried the entire family and their accessories through the rough roads and under all kinds of weather conditions. Its toughness and low maintenance cost made it super successful in India though the surge of Japanese two-wheelers in the mid 80’s slowly forced it out of the game. It is really hard to forget some of those scenes that all of us have witnessed, admired and laughed at times.

The retro-commercial featuring Hamara Bajaj
Peculiar things about a Bajaj scooter

Though there are variations across different models, the typical Bajaj scooter weighs around 110Kg. However, it could pull double its weight without causing much trouble.
Since the engine is planted on the right side, it always had an imbalanced while riding whereby the scooter tends to move towards the right if you are not careful. This was one of the issues for beginners who tried their hands on a Bajaj.
To fix this problem, they in fact placed the tyres in an offset position. In other words the front and rear tyres are not in a straight line but has a slight offset. I was surprised to learn this from one of the old timers that I have known.
The split seats were never designed with the ergonomics in mind but the need to accommodate the ever-responsible family head and the fat-bottomed typical Indian house wife and their kids (in all available gaps)
How to start a Bajaj Chetak –

The sequence of operations

This is the funniest part. From what I have seen and witnessed it involves the following operations in exact same sequence.
  1. Insert the ignition key in the handle lock keyhole. Turn the key vigorously three to four times while simultaneously turning the handle to make sure that it is unlocked. I hear from people that at times, it can get locked during the ride as well?
  2. Take the vehicle off the centre stand with a ‘thud’ (of the stand hitting the bottom of the scooter). To effectively do this, you have to have your left hand on the left handle of the vehicle and your right hand on a little handle behind the rider’s seat which is always kind of loose. You have to be leaning forward at an angle of 60% with respect to the ground level in order to effectively manage this.
  3. Push the vehicle to a flat surface and while doing so for some weird reason you have to always pull the clutch lever. Or is it just a habit?
  4. Now, you are on the left side of the vehicle but the kick starter is on the other side. So, you have to enter through the wide open space between the handle and the front seat and get to the other side. It is a process that’s religiously followed and it reminds me of entering the house from the front door and exiting via the kitchen or backdoor.
  5. Now, tilt the vehicle to the other side by about 30 degrees and hold it in that position for 5-10 seconds in order to make sure that the little petrol remaining in the vehicle reaches all vital parts (or areas that matter) of the engine. Even when the vehicle has recently undergone a full service/maintenance, you have to do it because you are so used to doing it.
  6. Straighten the vehicle, suddenly climb the kick starter lever and force all your weight on it and simultaneously turn the accelerator handle vigorously (four to five times a second). Subsequently – if it’s going to start that is – it gives out an engine roar along with a pale cry of the horn owing to loose electric connections. More often than not, throughout the ride, you get to hear that sound.
  7. Now occupy yourself by entering from the right side and allow your co-passenger(s) to settle. You have to keep turning the throttle or the entire sequence need to be repeated.
  8. Engage first gear and while leaving the clutch lever, it invariably jerks and jumps due to a slipping clutch or gearbox unit.
  9. …and there you go…
While on the ride…

Immediately after the take off, the most important thing that you will notice is that the rider, after engaging into second gear, will suddenly raise his bum and readjusts himself. This is due to the fact that the front split seat is leaning way too forward. This adjustment happens once in a while throughout the journey, especially after taking off from traffic lights.
The pillion rider, if it is a lady, will be usually sitting in an awkward sideways position whereby she will be holding her right hand on to her husband (rider)’s right shoulder or the loose handle behind the front seat. Her left hand will be usually on the support handle/spare tyre (fondly called a stepney) holder behind the rear seat. She will then bend all the way front and look over her husband’s left shoulder so as to quickly jump down in case of an emergency.
Due to the imbalance of the vehicle weight, you have to dedicate an extra 10% of your body weight towards the left side. However, this can vary based on how much weight your pillion rider is bifurcating to each side.
The rider will never use the turn indicator lamps (blinkers) because this feature is something that was introduced in later models and he is not used to it. The horn, with whatever feeble sound it has, itself is rarely used.
When typical Bajaj scooter rider, enters the main road from a side road, he usually takes wide 90 degrees turn – in fact 3/4th of a circle – before merging into the center of the road. This invariably causes some concerns among other drivers on the road, but they would expect this and manage the situation. See the illustration below to understand what I am talking about.

A Bajaj family = A happy family

Jokes apart, the middle class family, on a bajaj scooter, was always such a happy scene for a typical Indian and we adored that togetherness for a couple of generations. It often depicted the resilience of the upcoming Indian or a small business man who struggled to make both ends but emerged successful at the end. It was this kind of families – headed by those individual who drove their entire family to safety every single day – that paved foundation to the kind of growth that we are witnessing at the moment. In fact, in the 70s and 80s people used to yearn for owning a bajaj and waited for six months or one year after placing the order, in order to get their family dream scooter delivered.
I just thought of spending some time to write about the legendary vehicle because we all will be soon forgetting what we came through.
Long live hamara bajaj!

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
sushil_n79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 18:11   #317
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice write-up Sushil!

To add something more from my side,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
The split seats were never designed with the ergonomics in mind but the need to accommodate the ever-responsible family head and the fat-bottomed typical Indian house wife
Who would always sit sideways (called side-saddle), usually being Saree-clad.
Old 11th September 2011, 21:48   #318
Senior - BHPian

HCSC Next Meet

Dear HCSCians..Its been a while that we have met.We need to celebrate the 1st Anniversary of HCSC too.
Im eagerly waiting for Sushil to complete his restoration.I recently met an American Software Engineer,who is in Hyderabad for a short stinct in Hyderabad,who owns a PL 170.He is very keen to meet the classic scooter enthusiasts.
Lets plan a HCSC meet in the next 2-3 weeks.
Bala,Rahul,Sushil...suggestions are welcome.
Old 11th September 2011, 22:05   #319
Senior - BHPian

Re: HCSC Next Meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Dear HCSCians..Its been a while that we have met.We need to celebrate the 1st Anniversary of HCSC too.
Im eagerly waiting for Sushil to complete his restoration.I recently met an American Software Engineer,who is in Hyderabad for a short stinct in Hyderabad,who owns a PL 170.He is very keen to meet the classic scooter enthusiasts.
Of course it's high time we have met with our babes, there is no way we shall miss out our 1st birthday of our second baby (1st being FCCH) why don't we head start our NEO CLASSIC on that day?

Does the software engineer owns PL170 here in Hyd or back in US, he is more than welcome to our club meet, Ram sir convey on my behalf I can take him for a spin around the city in my Vespa or LML Star if he is interested (if he is not scared of our helmet less Hyderabadi traffic style , if his lungs are strong enough to take the autos dense smoke) I am eagerly looking forward for the meet and will be there.

Last edited by chanu : 11th September 2011 at 22:06.
Old 11th September 2011, 22:15   #320
BHPian

Nice write up Sushil. Remembered my days with Bajaj Cub. I have used almost for 15 years (1987-2001). Sold and took TVS victor in Dec2001. But the "maza" and "feel" of Bajaj scooter was something different. We had travelled almost all nearby destinations like Mumbai, Lonavala, Pune, Nasik, Shirdi etc with Engg college friends on scooters during 1987-1991. It was a gift to me from my Dad after getting Engg seat. Next time I'l post few pictures.

Last edited by Fiat&Me : 11th September 2011 at 22:17.
Fiat&Me is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 22:59   #321
Senior - BHPian

Nice to know you owned a scooter Kale sahab, you are right a well maintained scooter drive is a pure joy and it's different (Maggi ketchup AD style it's different!) even today my Vespa gives me the same joy since the day I brought it and I still remember my dads 1964 Vespa AAX XXXX, would you like to coming back to scooter sometime because bajaj super/cub/cheatak are easy and quite cheap to buy & maintain, would love to see you here in HCSC taking part else you are always welcome to ride my scooters.
Old 13th September 2011, 17:24   #322
BHPian

Re: HCSC Next Meet

Quote:
Hi Ram bhai

Well said, I spoke to my mechanic today and it seems he is still sleeping over the work. I have asked him to complete the scooter by the 20th of september so that if we have to meet on the last sunday of this month we can do so .
In the month of october i will be going to new delhi so that month will be very hectic. Hope he finishes the work by then.
Rahul , bala hope to meet you all soon.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 13th September 2011, 22:01   #323
Senior - BHPian

Sushil..lets hope your scooter will be ready by month end for a meet.
Bala..lets plan the meet.
Old 13th September 2011, 23:57   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sure captain! even I need to attend my scooters I am stuck in a crunch for mechanics for Star and Sparrow both have few issues pending. Let me also work on one of them for the meet.
Old 17th September 2011, 22:12   #325
Senior - BHPian

New HCSC Member with a PL 170

A few days back,one evening I was on a sortie in my neighbourhood and suddenly I bumped into a rider with full masked helmet,with riding gloves on a pristine Vespa PL 170.I couldnt resist and stopped him in the middle of the road, to say a quick salutation and introduce myself.As the young rider was on his way to night shift call centre job,we parted quickly with a note to meet soon.
Today this young American,who is a voice trainer in a Multinational co.,who rides his PL 170 to work (yes to his nightshift job as opposed to taking company cab),dropped into my abode to join HCSC.
This is Chad from New Orleans,USA who is in Hyderabad for an year and loves vintage scooters.Welcoming Chad to HCSC and he will be at the next meet.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)-chad-pl-170.jpg  

Last edited by hillram : 17th September 2011 at 22:15.
Old 18th September 2011, 09:52   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Sushil..lets hope your scooter will be ready by month end for a meet.
Hi Ram
Thanks for the encouragement and for waiting for me .hopefully it should started tomorrow the 19th and should be over by 24th. keping fingers crossed.

This is Chad from New Orleans,USA who is in Hyderabad for an year and loves vintage scooters.Welcoming Chad to HCSC and he will be at the next meet.
Hey Chad,
welcome aboad and welcome to HCSC. Its indeed a pleasure to know about a die hard fan of Vespa. eagerly waiting to meet you.
Take care and keep smiling always.
Regards
Sushil Narayanan
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:57   #327
Senior - BHPian

BCSC Stickers

Siddharth Naidu (Sidman) of Bangalore Classic Scooter Club (BCSC) has sent me BCSC stickers that can go on to our classic rides.As a reciprocative gesture,I have also sent Sidman HCSC stickers.
Wonderful gesture Sidman..true spirit of fraternity and Team Bhpianism.

BCSC stickers are up for grabs at our next meet.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)-bcsc-stickers.jpg  

Old 23rd September 2011, 22:19   #328
Senior - BHPian

Re: BCSC Stickers

Quote:
Siddharth Naidu (Sidman) of Bangalore Classic Scooter Club (BCSC) has sent me BCSC stickers that can go on to our classic rides.As a reciprocative gesture,I have also sent Sidman HCSC stickers.
Wonderful gesture Sidman..true spirit of fraternity and Team Bhpianism.

BCSC stickers are up for grabs at our next meet.
Nice idea in fact we can exchange our stickers/logos with the other clubs as well and request them to send few to us, this will not only bring us together but people would come to know about the scooter lovers living across world. Ram good move by sending HCSC logos, sir ji please keep two stickers (HCSC & BCSC) for me.

ED, Mitch how about you also joining us guys? I remember somebody sporting HCSC logo already, pardon my ignorance I don't remember who.

Last edited by chanu : 23rd September 2011 at 22:22.
Old 23rd September 2011, 23:02   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
ED, Mitch how about you also joining us guys? I remember somebody sporting HCSC logo already, pardon my ignorance I don't remember who.
Both Ed and Mitch have been sent HCSC stickers,if imnot wrong.
Ed has already displayed on his scooter.
Old 26th September 2011, 18:16   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Both Ed and Mitch have been sent HCSC stickers,if imnot wrong.
Ed has already displayed on his scooter.
Thats awesome Ram bhai.

Hope to meet them soon in person

Cheers

Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Most Viewed