Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2010, 22:36   #121
BHPian

Hi Rahul

really nice experiment we just have to wait and watch how long it sticks on ...if this is sucessful that would be a great idea in the meantime i ll try to experiment with some white rubber based paint om my scooters stephny as i remember long time back my friend who is a mechanic used to do the same to his scooter to give it a classic look. 2 cots of paint and it sticks on for atleast 2 - 5 years.

I ll try this and let you all know.

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 19th November 2010, 22:38   #122
Senior - BHPian

Hey Rahul, your experiment is looking great .
This can be an inspiration for the several classic car / two-wheeler owners who are hankering for the elusive whitewalls.. Good luck !
Old 20th November 2010, 00:45   #123
Senior - BHPian

Rahul I was trying to understand the best way to apply white colour to the tyre. Then came this idea fix the tyre to the front suspension and rotate..rotate and once the tyre is in fairly in good motion start painting, put the brush dipped in the paint and the wheel itself will get painted and it will be a perfect round, leave a 1/2 " gap where the tyre seats to the rim infact there is a line going through which is meant to show if the disc is aligned with the tyre. I will try this once my babe is home.
Old 20th November 2010, 14:45   #124
BHPian

@Ram : I know white walls are something that we cannot resist to try out on our scooters. I suggest that once we have refined the process of getting a fine finish, you can try it out. Once you are back to India, we can plan for the HCSC meet on 5th or 12th of December 2010. We all hope that Bala's Vespa is restored by then.

@Sushil : We need to try and find out more about rubber based paints and their availability. That will be the ultimate solution to preparing white walls at home. Thanks for your interest!

@SuperSelect : Thanks for your wishes! That is the whole purpose of these experiments. Once we refine the process, we can spread the word and soon we can have every classic car / scooter / bike proudly sporting white walls!

@ Bala : The pictures I posted previously already have about 4 coats of the PVC ink! The reason why I wanted to try out the white walls using a spray gun is that when a brush is used, it is leaving behind a lined finish instead of a smooth finish. The sight of these lines is not at all pleasing to the eye.

Coming to your point of spray painting spoiling the rim and other parts of the tyre, we can cover the other parts using newspapers and the white tape available at paint shops. This will be time consuming but well worth the effort as with a spray gun we can get a smooth and even finish.

Yes, I also remember seeing videos on YouTube about white walls long back. Need to check them out once again. I also liked your idea about rotating the tyre and then giving the paint to it. The only problem with this is that the quantity of paint that can be taken on the brush is limited and will not evenly coat the tyre. Again we do have the problem of lines appearing on the tyre in the final finish. So we can combine your idea of rotating the tyre and my idea of using a spray gun to achieve a smooth and even finish!

The other idea that came to my mind is to prepare an exact size cut out of the area where we require the white paint on the tyre. This cut out can be made using a card board or a hard plastic sheet. We can have one each for 3.50 x 8 and 3.50 x 10 tyre sizes. So whenever a white wall tyre has to be prepared, we can just place the cardboard or the hard plastic sheet on the tyre in the exact position and spray the paint. The paint will be sprayed on the exact area without spoiling the rim. This will help us in painting a lot of tyres in less time.

I am attaching close up pictures of the tyre which I painted yesterday so that you can observe the lined finish of the brush which I don't like. Apologies for the poor quality of the pictures as they were taken on a cell phone.

Keep the ideas flowing in folks! Let's make home made white wall tyres a dream come true!

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)-cu1.jpg  

Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)-cu2.jpg  

Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)-cu3.jpg  

Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)-cu4.jpg  

Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2010, 17:03   #125
Senior - BHPian

The cardboard or a plastic sheet is a bright idea, we have lot of plastic sheets meant for the gates to avoid view inside and is also easily available in hardware shops. Is it not difficult Rahul to spray the white rubber based colour because the spray gun cannot spay that consistency. All the very best Rahul for your experiments.

Reg my scooter getting restored by 12th december I am confident it should be done by then. wish me good luck my ishtyle "wishing you all the very best of luck".
Old 26th November 2010, 23:14   #126
BHPian

Spotted A Vespa!!

Bala & Ram : I need your expert advice as I am not at all well versed with the different versions of the Vespa! I saw this visitor's Vespa parked in our apartment. I need to know if this is a genuine Vespa or not. The handle gives an impression that this is a genuine Vespa but the headlamp looks like a new one. Unfortunately I spotted this scooter when my office cab came to pick me up, hence could not take any close up pictures. But I have found out the details of the person in our building who has this visitor. So just waiting for his next visit! In the mean time, provide your feedback.

Regards,

Rahul Waghmare.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)-v1.jpg  

Old 26th November 2010, 23:22   #127
Senior - BHPian

Rahul..If this is a original Vespa it has to be late 60s as it has a flat speedometre.
You need to check the Engine,which should have Piaggio stamp and few more indicators.
Bala..please throw some light !!
Old 27th November 2010, 07:14   #128
Senior - BHPian

This is no doubt a Vespa by looking at the body, but how far it is genuine it has to be finalised only by seeing the engine. This scooter has post 60's handle with its elevated speedometer. It could be somewhere 1964-65 period. Seat is from LML Vespa but Niceley done, two shade colour seems to be a scooter lover.

A original vespa should have PIAGGIO embossed on the chamber just below the gear box, Magnet fan will have a 'P' (Piaggio) logo embossed on it. They came with DELLORTO carburator which is extremely rare to find now as these machines had gone through carburator transplant atleast once, apart from this most of the scooters have gone through several changes for instance mudgaurd, floor, rear end of the body where tail lamp, numberplate is fixed and where the shock absorber sits, these place are the ones where corrossion takes place and patch works are done.

Overall as Vespas are getting extinct these days finding one which atleast is in this condition is appreciated, Vespas are becoming rare and expensive. Some good vespa are still moving slowly with the veterans even today which is really hard to get but worth buying, if worked hard one can find a Vespa now enjoy it for lifetime. All the best folks.

Rahul find out by any chance it's up for sale. You deserve one for HCSC.
Old 29th November 2010, 00:47   #129
Senior - BHPian

HCSC Next Meet

HCSC will be meeting in December 2010 since its last encounter.
There is a nice agenda to this Ride Meet on Scooters to either Gandipet or elsewhere.
-We will witness the unveiling of Bala's Vespa,which is getting a new look.
-It will be great pleasure to see Rahul's experiment on White Wall tyre creation and listen to his wonderful experiment,which has caught the attention of many members.

Lets plan out folks and set the dates of 5th December.I hope Bala's Vespa will be ready by then.
Keep riding.....
Old 29th November 2010, 13:57   #130
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ram, hope you are back in town? yes this will also be the last meet for this year 2010, next year we I hope we will increase in numbers and a lot of new things should happen by then.

Regarding my scooter getting ready by then has become a BIG PUZZLE and the reason as usual Hyderabadi style "Kal se start karenge saab". My Painter is busy with other commitments but promised to start today and try to finish the paint job by this weekend and hope by then the chome, buffing will also be done. It will take hardly 2-3 to complete the scooter I am trying my best to make it as I don't want to take any chances with the outcome. Wish me luck Ram sir.

I am also eager to see Rahul's experiment and hope it works out so we can have our classics new look shoes.

All the best folks, drive safe.
Old 30th November 2010, 03:48   #131
Senior - BHPian

Im back in town Bala..lets wait for your Vespa to complete the restoration...12th Dec looks the best date for the meet.

Last edited by hillram : 30th November 2010 at 03:50.
Old 30th November 2010, 08:10   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Im back in town Bala..lets wait for your Vespa to complete the restoration...12th Dec looks the best date for the meet.
Welcome home Ram sir, thanks for postponing the meet date by then my scoot will be ready.
Old 30th November 2010, 12:44   #133
BHPian

Ram & Bala : Thanks for your comments on the Vespa that I spotted in my building. I am waiting for the owner to visit again. Even if he is not willing to sell the scooter, I can atleast tell him about HCSC and invite him to the next meet. We need to get more people joining HCSC.

Keeping in mind Bala's scooter's progress, 12th December 2010 sounds a good day for the HCSC Ride Meet. It also gives us time to prepare.

Ram, welcome back to India! Like we discussed long back, please remind the scooter owners who had taken part in the World Tourism Day Meet to join us. Also Yaser had given contact details of his relative who owns a Vespa. We need to contact him as well. See post : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post2095243

Let us all fulfill our wish of a long ride to Gandipet which has been long due! Where do we all meet? Necklace Road would a bit off track if we are going to Gandipet.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 30th November 2010, 22:10   #134
Senior - BHPian

Yes Gandipet trip is long due. If finalised then the meeting point can be at Shivrampalli X roads where in people coming from Mehdipatnam can take P.V.N fly over, people coming from old city, Nampally can take City College, High Court route via Bahadurpura and members coming from Uppal, Dilsukhnagar etc can take DRDL route.
Old 30th November 2010, 22:45   #135
Senior - BHPian

So lets lock on 12th Dec for a ride to Gandipet on our scooters.
Bala..will look forward to see your new shining Vespa.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks