Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2010, 11:42   #1
BHPian

Norton H16 Guidance Needed

Dear friends i have started the restoration of my Norton H 16 bike, as i have never done any Norton before, i need the suggestions as to what bike is it civilian or militiary and what paint codes etc the bike was garaged since many decades as the owner left India for Good, almost all parts intact including the windscreen and rims are original Dunlop made in England,i wish to make it as close to as it was when born,so let me know/suggest where should i start from,i wish to add a side car to the bike
here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Norton H16 Guidance Needed-9.jpg  

Norton H16 Guidance Needed-8.jpg  

Norton H16 Guidance Needed-1.jpg  

Norton H16 Guidance Needed-2.jpg  

Norton H16 Guidance Needed-3.jpg  

Norton H16 Guidance Needed-4.jpg  

Norton H16 Guidance Needed-5.jpg  

Norton H16 Guidance Needed-6.jpg  

Norton H16 Guidance Needed-7.jpg  

Old 21st August 2010, 11:47   #2
BHPian

the chassis has a no

any information ,pls suggest year etc
Old 21st August 2010, 11:49   #3
BHPian

You have a nice piece of treasure there Inder, seeing its condition restoring it to pristine condition will take some effort. For starters try and get hold of the service manual from Haynes/eBay or any other place you can. Run through it completely and then plan the resurrection. These bikes very simple as compared to the ones in the market today. In case any simple parts are missing or have gone bad, they can be fabricated. For the more complex ones eBay is a good source to start your hunt.

Best of luck, looking forward to this restoration project.
Old 21st August 2010, 13:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good after noon Inderpal gi, Congratulations indeed its a peice of history you have brought it. Norton H16, side valve engine, Grider fork, rigid frame. I am shocked to see a bike which could be more than 50 yrs old and still has the original rims Wow! thats amazing no doubt these bike will survive for another decade for the quality they are made up of. These bikes are easy to restore and the parts which are missing can procured or fabricated. I see you bikes needs a through restoration job. This bikes comes with a bigger headlamp assembly. Unique side stand unlike B.S.A M20/21.

These bikes can be made into milarty or civilian models, civilian model needs a black and silver tank with chrome done on it along with chrome rims, silencer etc. In case of milatry (it looks wow!!) with black powder coated silencer with a (talbolt) air filter on the tank. side carriers, rear seat, choice is yours. we are here to support you.
Old 21st August 2010, 13:33   #5
BHPian

The color scheme says it is a civilian version. Lovely bike there. I see this is an old thread. How has the restoration come along?
Old 22nd August 2010, 12:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
The color scheme says it is a civilian version. Lovely bike there. I see this is an old thread. How has the restoration come along?
hi, thanks for the help i started the thread yesterday 21 8 10 it self and there is not much progress yet,i plan to flush the engine, and try to get it started first,hope the engine is in good shape,or will have to strip off and re do the engine,i too believe it to be civilian model,but there is a cut in the tank near the driver seat to accomodate air cleaner which as per my info came in militiary models,lets crack it with the chasis no,may be it will be of some help,thanks again
Old 23rd August 2010, 11:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
You have a nice piece of treasure there Inder, seeing its condition restoring it to pristine condition will take some effort. For starters try and get hold of the service manual from Haynes/eBay or any other place you can. Run through it completely and then plan the resurrection. These bikes very simple as compared to the ones in the market today. In case any simple parts are missing or have gone bad, they can be fabricated. For the more complex ones eBay is a good source to start your hunt.

Best of luck, looking forward to this restoration project.
hi,thats a nice suggestion, i think the manual will be of a great help, and wish it is available online,
Old 23rd August 2010, 21:27   #8
BHPian

Sorry: I think I read your join date and thought it to be an old one. I will try to look into my books to see if I can pull up some info. You will surely find a site where you'd be able to get the info of your bike with the numbers.
Old 24th August 2010, 12:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry: I think I read your join date and thought it to be an old one. I will try to look into my books to see if I can pull up some info. You will surely find a site where you'd be able to get the info of your bike with the numbers.
Thanks for the help, as i searched the haynes site etc on the web ,i couldnt find any manual etc from haynes for H 16,please do help me if some other company has it,thanks again
Old 24th August 2010, 21:28   #10
BHPian

See if you can find something in Pitman's. Try this link to see if you can find something. Andover Norton Book Review
Old 26th August 2010, 13:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
See if you can find something in Pitman's. Try this link to see if you can find something. Andover Norton Book Review
ooops, i tried a lot,but was unable to open the link
Old 26th August 2010, 18:23   #12
BHPian

I just tried and it opened perfectly fine. Here is it again.

Andover Norton Book Review
Old 28th August 2010, 11:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I just tried and it opened perfectly fine. Here is it again.

Andover Norton Book Review
hi, it worked this time, iam searching the site,thanks for the help
Old 28th August 2010, 13:08   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
hi, it worked this time, iam searching the site,thanks for the help
Sir

Mr Pappi Singh- Hyderabad, is a complete comprehensive dictionary for Nortons in INDIA. And also the one who owns the most number of Nortons.

You should be able to get lots of help from him, He's so damn crazy about Norton's,that he's named his son "NORTON SINGH"

I had the pleasure to meet paaaji for a long chat, i love his attitude, and passion for his bikes.

While i have lost his number, i can give you his right hand man's number, who also is his mechanic. Talk to him and get in touch with Mr Pappi Singh.

will pm his number in a while.

All the best.
Old 28th August 2010, 16:33   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Sir

Mr Pappi Singh- Hyderabad, is a complete comprehensive dictionary for Nortons in INDIA. And also the one who owns the most number of Nortons.

You should be able to get lots of help from him, He's so damn crazy about Norton's,that he's named his son "NORTON SINGH"

I had the pleasure to meet paaaji for a long chat, i love his attitude, and passion for his bikes.

While i have lost his number, i can give you his right hand man's number, who also is his mechanic. Talk to him and get in touch with Mr Pappi Singh.

will pm his number in a while.

All the best.
wow you are lucky to meet the friend i have him in my orkut friend list but never got a chance to share some ideas with him,he is a great man,no doubts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks