Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2010, 19:40   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Shyam, so the Herald Miss CAN is getting more and more beautiful.Sunfilm removal was much desired. After all, aftermarket AC's and sunfilms are turn off for we enthusiasts.Please keep on posting more pictures as the facelift goes on and on.
Old 15th September 2010, 22:52   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDay View Post
It looks so much better now without the sunfilm!

Are the windshield and window glasses originally of CAN? As the car was crashed up before, all these glasses might be quite new.
Thanks!
The front and rear windshields are not, nor is the driver's door glass- they are of "ATULTUF" brand, a popular brand for aftermarket glasses for most cars. I'm not sure if they had been fitted after the mishap, which happened in the early 70s. I reckon these glasses were more recently available though (circa 90s?)
The left rear window glass is Tufex, which was an OE brand, but the rest are Safex, which I suspect was what all the glass was, as I've seen this brand more commonly used on old cars. Another was "S light" (for Sunlight) with a 'rising sun' logo. Our Gazel had those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Shyam, so the Herald Miss CAN is getting more and more beautiful.Sunfilm removal was much desired. After all, aftermarket AC's and sunfilms are turn off for we enthusiasts.Please keep on posting more pictures as the facelift goes on and on.
Thanks anjan! Yes, eager myself for more updates- couldnt get the estimate from the garage owner even today as I myself was busy running around!
But I did have the mech. remove the waterpump to get fixed. 'should be done in a day or two. 'need to change the radiator hoses too.
But I'm getting more restless and am desperate to see some of the cosmetic fittings go on already!! I've decided to have them fitted tomorrow come what may.
Old 17th September 2010, 21:29   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

'tried posting this yesterday, but wasnt able to upload images for some reason!

Glad to mention that the much-awaited bodywork on CAN has begun today and finally she'll be getting the attention she's been waiting for! 'finally got the estimate.

Water-pump also fixed and working now. My mech. suggested I get the radiator cleaned too. Once that's done, I'll be refitting it with 1 new OHH REE GEE NAL hose (top one!)

Plus, I took the liberty of 'fiddling' around to fit some of the OHH REE GEE NAL fittings on today, as the garage owner didnt feel it was urgent and could wait until the bodywork was done!

So first to go out was the non-original RVM, here's the original RVM in place! 'does improve the look of the car to quite an extent!

The mirror actually fits with 3 screws, the other 2 being at the bottom. But I left it with only the centre top screw for now, as I need to fit......the OHH REE GEE NAL sunvisors as well!
And the ends of their stalks go through the groove on the RVM frame. The original ones in the car would've been removed because they couldnt fit with the non-original RVM and also because the digital clock coming in the way!
The plastic holder for the left sunvisor is missing. The garage owner said he has a few of those though! 'cant wait to fit them all on!!

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7487.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7495.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7497.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7500.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7503.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7507.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7510.jpg

Also today, the door glasses/quarterglasses have been removed, the doors being partially stripped before being worked on. The glass channels would need replacing though.

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7514.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7515.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7516.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7518.jpg

And, aside, a little ornament to adore the front grille of CAN!

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7517.jpg
Old 17th September 2010, 21:44   #49
Senior - BHPian

Shyam it's amazing how the smallest of details adds to the car's character - first it was the removal of the sunfilm. And now, the original mirror !
Though I'd be hard pressed to tell an Oh-Ree-G-Nal herald mirror from a non-original one, even I can immediately see the looks going up several notches ! I guess it's the design - meant exactly for the car.
Old 17th September 2010, 22:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

Hope you would have original speedo and other meters to replace those Amby ones.
The warning lamps unit is OE is it not?
Old 17th September 2010, 22:56   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Shyam it's amazing how the smallest of details adds to the car's character -
I can immediately see the looks going up several notches ! I guess it's the design - meant exactly for the car.
Thanks ravi! Yes, as they say...inch by inch, its a cinch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Hope you would have original speedo and other meters to replace those Amby ones.
The warning lamps unit is OE is it not?
I do have a good, original fuel guage. 'not sure if it's working. 'have a speedo too but that's not in good condition. 'can be fixed I'm sure.

The warning lamps cluster did come on Heralds, but it being black-background would've come on the later ones. These cars had grey ones. But I guess that could be overlooked.
Old 21st September 2010, 23:15   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally an update- the radiator too is all cleaned up and refitted now. 'turns out the pipes on one side inside were blocked with dirt! 'glad I decided to get it cleaned.

But best part is its now got a brand new OHH REE GEE NAL (imported) top hose in place of the non-original one that was on!!

'wish I had a bottom hose too but will buy it later. Right now managing with a local one.

The carb was found to have a little overflow problem though! Then turned out the needle valve needs replacement. Car can still run though, but for moderate distances (the garage people keep shifting the cars around according to their space needs.)

Also found the part of the bulkhead under the battery beginning to get the rust-attack. 'cleaned it up temporarily with WD-40 but I guess it needs a repaint. So does the inside of the battery retaining bar, although I've got a really nice one (imported) that I might fit as repalcement.

Meanwhile, made a little home-made attempt at restoring the white colour of the sunvisors, a method I remember reading in a magazine.

'took the left sunvisor, some baking soda (a.k.a 'eating soda'??) and vinegar, mixed them into a paste. And with an old toothbrush, scrubbed the sunvisor on both sides for a while, hoping to see the colour restored. But in vain! If at all, it did get the grime off! Hmmm.......anyone else who's tried this??

The bodywork's taking time to start though, much to my chagrin! I was told the bonnet/front bumper alignment would be done first, followed by the doors. To add to it, I'll be starting on my new job the day after tomorrow, and not yet sure of my schedule....so 'wondering if/when I would have time to watch over the work! :(

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7525.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7526.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7528.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7530.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7527.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7522.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7523.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7524.jpg
Old 22nd September 2010, 10:14   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
'took the left sunvisor, some baking soda (a.k.a 'eating soda'??) and vinegar, mixed them into a paste. And with an old toothbrush, scrubbed the sunvisor on both sides for a while, hoping to see the colour restored. But in vain! If at all, it did get the grime off! Hmmm.......anyone else who's tried this??
I read some where in the Internet, that to remove yellowish tan from white and transparent plastics you soak them in diluted solution of Hydrogen peroxide. You will get tons of results in Google for this.

If that can help you. Also some one has used bleach on the Merc steering wheel? We can try these out on some scrap piece to gauge their effectiveness.
Old 22nd September 2010, 18:59   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I read some where in the Internet, that to remove yellowish tan from white and transparent plastics you soak them in diluted solution of Hydrogen peroxide. You will get tons of results in Google for this.
Thanks manish. But then, these are not of plastic but vinyl. 'not sure how effective/harmless Hyd. peroxide may be on them?
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:10   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks manish. But then, these are not of plastic but vinyl. 'not sure how effective/harmless Hyd. peroxide may be on them?
Yeah, but we can give it a try on a scrap vinyl or regzine to see how it works.
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:22   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, worth trying on a piece of scrap vinyl....now where do I get Hyd. peroxide? And how diluted/concentrated should it be?

OK, now here is finally the update I was much eager for all these days!!

(tried posting this in my last post but wasnt able to upload images then!)

Both doors are off and kept aside for the patchwork. Bonnet alignment too all done, the bonnet is now sitting square on both sides and in line with the rest of the body!

The non-original bonnet catch on the left has been replaced with an OHH REE GEE NAL one procured from ebay UK!

The retaining ring for the left headlamp cowl was found to be a bit bent, to be corrected.

However, I'll be starting on my new job tomorrow, busy from 8am-5pm so not likely to have as much time at the end of the day to check on the progress but 'hope to drop in whenever I can.

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7541.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7543.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7538.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7533.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7546.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7549.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7532.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7534.jpg
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:28   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, worth trying on a piece of scrap vinyl....now where do I get Hyd. peroxide? And how diluted/concentrated should it be?

Both doors are off and kept aside for the patchwork. Bonnet alignment too all done, the bonnet is now sitting square on both sides and in line with the rest of the body!

However, I'll be starting on my new job tomorrow, busy from 8am-5pm so not likely to have as much time at the end of the day to check on the progress but 'hope to drop in whenever I can.
Shyam,

You are still single, that is why you don't know where to get the Hy. Peroxide. But your sister would know.

Beauticians usually uses this for preparing the face bleach for the female species (probably for male species also these days) and also in may other stuff what they do. So you know whom to ask

I don't know if "Clorox" brand wash bleach is available in India. If so that is also an effective thing which you can try.

Doors, get the hinges reconditioned as well. In the photos, you can see both the doors are sagging a little. Reconditioned hinges and Locks (both striker plate and the other bit on the door) or new ones should get it back on line

Congratulations on your new job. Is this the one you told me about attending the interview. All the best. I am sure you will do a good job with as well (as you do with your Knowledge base on Standard)

All the best

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 22nd September 2010 at 22:30.
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:21   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Shyam,

You are still single, that is why you don't know where to get the Hy. Peroxide. But your sister would know.

Ram
Ram,

I was about to say the same . Are ye Hydrogen Preoxide nahi janata (hey he dosen't know hydrogen Peroxide). As for the quantity please do a google search, you will get more information than what I can provide here.
Old 23rd September 2010, 22:03   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Beauticians usually uses this for preparing the face bleach for the female species (probably for male species also these days) and also in may other stuff what they do.
I don't know if "Clorox" brand wash bleach is available in India. If so that is also an effective thing which you can try.
Thanks ram!
I was aware that Hyd. peroxide is used in bleaching the hair to golden yellow, learnt it in Chemistry years ago, much before I converted to an arts student!

I'm not sure about Clorox though.

Quote:
Doors, get the hinges reconditioned as well.
you can see both the doors are sagging a little. Reconditioned hinges and Locks (both striker plate and the other bit on the door) or new ones should get it back on line
Sure, I will point this out to the denters, they might've noticed.

Quote:
Congratulations on your new job. Is this the one you told me about attending the interview. All the best. I am sure you will do a good job with as well (as you do with your Knowledge base on Standard)
Thanks again!
No not the one I attended that Sunday when you were here. Another one. 'having my training done at present, a bit hectic considering the travelling I have to do (I might also feel so as it's my first full-time job!)

'managed to visit the garage this evening though. I was told they'd proceed further on saturday, which is good as I'd be free the weekend!
Old 15th October 2010, 14:19   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

A thousand apologies for the long silence but things werent happening on the car until now, mainly because the garage guys were busy with other projects on hand. So CAN lay unattended all these days! :(

Anyways, now things are going better- the doors have got the much-needed attention and have both been patched up. They still need to be aligned and painted though. Right now they are busy cleaning up the garage for the Dasara pooja so things are at a standstill for now.

The insides of the door bottoms have been coated with red-oxide but I am not satisfied with that and have better plans for them!

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7671.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7674.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7672.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7673.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7675.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7679.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7680.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7681.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7683.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7684.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com