Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2010, 10:20   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Updates: The doors have now both been aligned. The broken door mirror studs (non-original) have also been removed off the doors. I intend to fit some period classic ones later.

I've also told them to close up the smaller holes where the aluminium glass seal strips were fitted, as I intend to refit original seals later.

Now the doors are being prepared for the repaint.

More later...!

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7698.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7699.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7701.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7700.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7705.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7707.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 27th October 2010 at 10:31.
Old 27th October 2010, 15:51   #62
Senior - BHPian

Shyam bhai are you getting only the doors repainted or the complete side including the front and rear fenders. I think color matching will be a problem, but i am really looking forward to the results.

Last edited by samsag12 : 27th October 2010 at 15:52.
Old 27th October 2010, 22:39   #63
BHPian

Please attend meet on 31st Oct'10

Shyam,
PLease attend FCCH meet on 31st Oct'10. Do bring one of your 'standard'.
You remember the person (Mr Mushtaq) is also owning few vintage cars including FIATs and Standards, it will be a good opp. for you to see his collection (especially standards)and we also enjoy your nice company. Do come to "Chandrayagutta flyover" by 10:00 am.
Old 28th October 2010, 10:02   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Shyam bhai are you getting only the doors repainted or the complete side including the front and rear fenders. I think color matching will be a problem, but i am really looking forward to the results.
Only the doors. The rest of the car looks fine, maybe just a couple of touch-ups required. But for the rust on the doors and those ugly non-original mirrors, I wouldnt have got any repaint job done anywhere on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvkale2 View Post
Shyam,
PLease attend FCCH meet on 31st Oct'10. Do bring one of your 'standard'.
You remember the person (Mr Mushtaq) is also owning few vintage cars including FIATs and Standards, it will be a good opp. for you to see his collection (especially standards)and we also enjoy your nice company.
Thank you kale sa'ab, but I might be a little tied up on Sunday. And moreover, it was made explicit to me on an earlier occasion that FCCH shows/drives are only for FIATS, and that any other "miscellaneous" vehicles wouldnt really fit in:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2013489-post45.html

I do not wish to override any of the prescribed rules, especially as an 'outsider.'

Last edited by Stanher : 28th October 2010 at 10:05.
Old 28th October 2010, 10:30   #65
BHPian

Congrats Shyam,

I can see that your Herald is coming up very well with your professional skills. The car looks very dainty and appealing.

B/rgds,

Rony
Old 31st October 2010, 22:08   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for your kind words, guys!

And present update: CAN is finally ready to go in for the paint job, the lousy weather since the last 2 days has been playing spoilsport of course!

'hope we get back our sunshine this week!

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7717.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7718.jpg

Also a few 'pending' fittings like the trim/patti on the left front wing, the replacement headlamp ring on the right (he forgot to fit the OHH REE GEE NAL Lucas Made in England headlamp though! :sigh, and the sunvisors have finally been fitted!!

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7721.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7722.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7719.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7720.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7726.jpg

And finally got to give the original speedo I had at home for repair yesterday, done today! He's done quite a good job- even straightened and repainted the needle! I didnt take pics. before but I actually bought it with the glass broken, needle askew and also the mechanism inside damaged!

It's all working and good as new now!

I'm now in the process of getting an original type dash fabrciated in plywood. If I'm not able to get that done before the car leaves from here, I might as well fit the original guages atleast on the existing dash! Still better than what its got!

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7729.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7730.jpg

BUT.......despite all this I was extremely upset about one thing today- yes, one thing. And what would make me so you ask?

'just noticed the roof when I went to see CAN today- and I was shocked at what I saw!

'turns out the plastic sheets these guys had put on either side all those days, to prevent water from getting inside (when the glasses were removed) had damaged the paint on the roof!

I wasnt amused and pointed this out to them- they assured me it can go with a round of rubbing and polishing. I told them I dont care what they do, how they do it, the roof has to look neat at the end!

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7731.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7732.jpg

This is extremely unsettling after all the progress that I felt happening- na jaane kiski nazar lag gayee!!
Old 31st October 2010, 22:17   #67
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Your CAN is coming up well Shyam. What paint are you using on the doors? Are you going for any anti-rust coating too?

I see some minor scratches on the front fender. What do you plan to do for this?

Anyways, happy to see StanHer getting his Herald done up with so much of love and care. Hope the roof paint issue solves.

Saw a nice STANDARD at the FCCH Meet pics. So I guess you could have attended the meet as it involved all miscellaneous cars.
Old 31st October 2010, 22:59   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
Your CAN is coming up well Shyam. What paint are you using on the doors? Are you going for any anti-rust coating too?
Anyways, happy to see StanHer getting his Herald done up with so much of love and care. Hope the roof paint issue solves
Thanks karthik! Not yet sure of the paint, but most likely will be Duco rather than a premium range like 2k, as its the former that has been used on the entire car anyways, so need to maintain uniformity.

Reg. anti-rust, I want to use a bitumen-based spray from Wurth, I'd even gone to their dealership here to ask for it the other day but they said they dont have stock- will arrive in 3-4 days!
'will contact them again tomorrow.

Quote:
I see some minor scratches on the front fender. What do you plan to do for this?
Um, where on the fender are the scratches you refer to? You mean the little chip offs at the edge near the headlamp ring? Any minor touch-ups will have to be brush-touched as it wouldnt be possible to spray there I was told.

Quote:
Saw a nice STANDARD at the FCCH Meet pics.
Yes, I know MEV 6271, was advertised for sale even online until last year. The price kept on going high each time! So you'll understand if I didnt show interest!

'last saw it exactly year ago with a mechanic who eventually sold it. Nice to see its in good hands though.
Old 1st November 2010, 16:04   #69
Senior - BHPian

Heralds never gained my attention but there was one car in Hyd written as DHARAMPUR which made me to say "wow" and now its your car Shyam.

Shyam are you planning to give the entire car a fresh coat of paint or just the touch up? how about dual tone on the rims? I am awaiting to see the final outcome and a jolly good ride to experience what is it about Heralds.
Old 1st November 2010, 20:20   #70
Senior - BHPian

Shyam bhai nice to see your car slowly gaining its originality. Do keep us updated on the touch up process. Though felt sad about the paint damage on roof.
BTW heralds do have a very unique way to mount the visors and IRVM.
Old 6th November 2010, 18:24   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
are you planning to give the entire car a fresh coat of paint or just the touch up? how about dual tone on the rims? I am awaiting to see the final outcome and a jolly good ride to experience what is it about Heralds.
Just the 'affected' areas!
Um, dual tone on the rims? I didnt get that, bala...how do we do that on the rims? Anyways, I intend to revert to the original cream or off-white, though I also have had thoughts about trying red as well, some red Heralds had the rims painted so, back in the 70s/80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Shyam bhai nice to see your car slowly gaining its originality. Though felt sad about the paint damage on roof.
BTW heralds do have a very unique way to mount the visors and IRVM.
Thanks sagar, yes sad about the roof. But the guys have agreed to rectify it- repaint only the top and upper sides (until the level of the 'herald' roof badges, which is why they've been left on as a marking- they will be fully masked of course!) During which, it has been decided to give the bootlid a respray too as the sticker that you'd seen stuck across it is not coming off, and I was told the only way to get it off would be to scrape it off, which means I'd have to repaint the bootlid anyways.

The weather's slowly improving, was reasonably sunny again the last 2 days, albeit briefly. So the work's resumed- the dulling of the old paint and applying the bondo for now. I also finally got one of the anti-rust sprays from Wurth, although not the one I had actually wanted. This stuff is white rather than black, which is ok for internal areas, so decided to try it on the insides of the door sills/bottoms.
Also the new glass support channels for both the door glasses have been fabricated. All coated in zinc primer, but I've also applied the wurth spray on the inner groove, where the glass would sit I guess.
This was the best I could manage to get done, not really perfect and not uniform throughout but then there isnt much more you can accomplish barely being able to stick your arm and a 500ml can held in your hand through limited openings! It should still do the job I guess!

'hope the weather doesnt slow down the paint process again!

Also an interesting thing- while the bootlid was being scrubbed, the hand-painted number got washed off........to reveal the previous CAN regn.!
It looks in even better condition than the present regn. that was painted over it! How I wish I could retain this number!! :sigh:

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7746.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7750.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7784.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7752.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7763.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7774.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7775.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7776.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7777.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7780.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7768.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7770.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7785.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7792.jpg
Old 6th November 2010, 22:37   #72
Senior - BHPian

wow shyam, your car is coming out great. As for the roof, these kind of errors are common with mechanics.

My mechanic have teared down the original sunvisor to bare skeleton
Old 7th November 2010, 00:51   #73
BANNED

Wow.. Looks like a full time painting job

You are lucky to get time to do up your car. I always end up putting my own cars in the backburner due to friends cars that come for restoration.

Now for some nice white wall tyres.
Old 7th November 2010, 01:17   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
wow shyam, your car is coming out great. As for the roof, these kind of errors are common with mechanics.

My mechanic have teared down the original sunvisor to bare skeleton
Thanks Manish! Sorry to hear about your sunvisor! Is it still useable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
You are lucky to get time to do up your car. I always end up putting my own cars in the backburner due to friends cars that come for restoration.

Now for some nice white wall tyres.
Pavan: Correction: I WAS lucky to get time, until a month ago!

But fortunately or unfortunately, my 5-day shift timings are 4pm-1am, which means I have atleast a couple of hours in the first half of the day to rush down here and check on the car for barely 15-20 mins!
I was indeed contended today to be able to spend a couple of hours with CAN, being my off-day!

Reg, whitewalls, my car already has 2 fitted- and to my luck, I discovered the stepney tyre to be one as well!!

I'm also in the process of procuring one more, so that'll make it atleast a set of 4 on the car, the remaining plain one can be used as the stepney.
Old 7th November 2010, 07:06   #75
Senior - BHPian

Good thought Shyam bhai to get the roof sprayed as rubbing won't make things look better. The progress seems to be very rapid as compared to the other restorations of yours. Guess its the constant inflow of vitamin M. BTW why don't you get your Herald's full body over coated as you got it done on your Pennant. Will definitely look freshly restored. Just a thought came to my mind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks