Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2010, 23:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

I notice the following,
The carburettor is now Solex (from the Air Cleaner - Filter in that period used to be called as cleaner). The 65 original is SU make.
The gear lever in those time used to be a bit shorter (Till 1968-early 69)
The 65 model used to come with either Yenkay or Autometer make Smiths look alike sans the clock. The round three lamp warning cluster is original and since you got those Yenkay gauges with you it is OE and not Autometer.
Is the floor mounted foot operated dipper switch in place. The steering column mounted switch is later addition.
The headliaght rims are original so also the rear lamp assy.

Great buy friend; keep it, preserve it. best of luck.

Last edited by rajeev k : 21st October 2010 at 23:08.
Old 23rd October 2010, 22:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Next the dash speedo and the three meters used to be of Yenkay make in 1965.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
karandb- its a relief for you as the previous owner has kept the originals (speedo, choke cable) for you. I am sure one would like a car to be as it was when new and just out of the showroom. So in my opinion the Smiths need not be bought.Is he selling all the three units (speedo,watch and the oil,fuel,amps meters) for Rs4.5K? If so you can buy and keep it as a souvenir.
But maybe some members will suggest you to fit the Smiths for more of the British kinda looks. If you replace, the complete Smiths set needs to be fitted.The gear knob needs to be then of the ivory colour with the chrome ring at its tip.These can be done up bit by bit as and when you get these spares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I notice the following,
The carburettor is now Solex (from the Air Cleaner - Filter in that period used to be called as cleaner). The 65 original is SU make.
The gear lever in those time used to be a bit shorter (Till 1968-early 69)
The 65 model used to come with either Yenkay or Autometer make Smiths look alike sans the clock. The round three lamp warning cluster is original and since you got those Yenkay gauges with you it is OE and not Autometer.
Is the floor mounted foot operated dipper switch in place. The steering column mounted switch is later addition.
The headliaght rims are original so also the rear lamp assy.
The meters fitted in the car are Autometers, not Yenkay. (The Yenkay oil pressure meter had a centre pivoted pointer with 270 deg arc. The Yenkay ammeter had the pointer coming out of an annular groove.)

Originally came with a dynamo, with a two coil (almost useless) regulator. Starter operation: the pull switch seems to be missing. Does it have the panel instrument rheostat? Does the rotary headlight switch work? Inner courtesy lamp:- what sort of switch does it have? The shape of the padding on the dashboard is from a much later year.

Can you see the casting markings on the engine block?

Nice original piece.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 24th October 2010, 09:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karandb View Post
Hello !!

I am very new to the forum and very excited to be here , you get so much of knowledge , help advice and suggestion ,I was very eagerly waiting to get the approvals to start posting and asking for guidance Alas !! Iam here.

It was dream to own a Ambassador and it was such a co-incidence , I was looking at the free ad section for cars in 2009 July and came across this add which said 1965 Mark-II Ambassador in original condition, I called up the gentleman and took an appointment to meet up, I was so impressed with the beauty but had no idea about cars, took to an friends uncle had a quite a bit of knowledge on these and gave me a go !! but needed to negotiate on the price, I tried to to negotiate but in vain so lost hope and went home disappointing.

After a year same time in July the Owner of the car calls me up and asks me to pick up the car for the same price i quoted last year, I could not believe but was damn happy , met the owner the same day and drove the beauty ..I was so excited to drive her I could see people looking at the car on every traffic signal i stopped I was feeling damn good about this :-)) I reached home and took my mom, wife nephews sister on a small ride.. there was so much of excitement on their face ,I felt like an oldie driving this beauty the feel on the steering the way the horn sounded it was a nostalgic moment for me felt like i went back to the bygone era...
Karandb,
Very nice car. the way you got your car is a deja vue to me as it was in a similar manner that I got my Padmini a decade ago.

All the best Cheers,
Old 24th October 2010, 10:10   #19
BANNED

Quote:
@ pramod I was lucky to get at that price on the same day while I was filling at the petrol bunk, One elderly gentleman came to me and asked to if it was my car and I would sell it , I told it was my dream to buy this car and i have just paid for it and heading home, he started to really pester me and quoted 85K hard cash and will do the settlement right away.. I had to convince him to that I would not sell it.....

I will restore her in her original color and shape no modifications at all.. except that I am looking for the right mech , tinker and painter who would do a good job on her.

Nice find Karan

The car looks clean and neat, just the way it should be. While the inside of the Dashboard can get better than what it is now.

Do feel free to ask for any help.

And better get the restoration done at well known shops than any roadside small time shops.

regards....PK
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 11:52   #20
BHPian

Re: My 1965 Ambassador Mk II

Quote:
Hello !!

I am very new to the forum and very excited to be here , you get so much of knowledge , help advice and suggestion ,I was very eagerly waiting to get the approvals to start posting and asking for guidance Alas !! Iam here.

It was dream to own a Ambassador and it was such a co-incidence , I was looking at the free ad section for cars in 2009 July and came across this add which said 1965 Mark-II Ambassador in original condition, I called up the gentleman and took an appointment to meet up, I was so impressed with the beauty but had no idea about cars, took to an friends uncle had a quite a bit of knowledge on these and gave me a go !! but needed to negotiate on the price, I tried to to negotiate but in vain so lost hope and went home disappointing.

After a year same time in July the Owner of the car calls me up and asks me to pick up the car for the same price i quoted last year, I could not believe but was damn happy , met the owner the same day and drove the beauty ..I was so excited to drive her I could see people looking at the car on every traffic signal i stopped I was feeling damn good about this :-)) I reached home and took my mom, wife nephews sister on a small ride.. there was so much of excitement on their face ,I felt like an oldie driving this beauty the feel on the steering the way the horn sounded it was a nostalgic moment for me felt like i went back to the bygone era...

I drive her or start her every week , I need a good mechanic who can work on her , I am un-able to fine one and few parts that I need to source. Need some advice and guidance from the experts on this forum and help out to restore her to her original look.
Hi karandb,
Just wanted to know if you still have the Amby. If so r you interested to sell it.Do let me know as am on the look out for one.
Thanks
Singh.
Old 25th November 2011, 13:52   #21

Hi, Karan,
If you are looking for any tech help, I may be able to help you.
your Ambi is in good condition.
sivasankaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 15:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.SINGH View Post
Hi karandb,
Just wanted to know if you still have the Amby. If so r you interested to sell it.Do let me know as am on the look out for one.
Thanks
Singh.
My Amby mark II is up for sale as I am moving out of the country. if you are interested, let me know. It is now in BLR
Old 25th November 2011, 21:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaSun View Post
My Amby mark II is up for sale as I am moving out of the country. if you are interested, let me know. It is now in BLR
Can you post details and pictures of your car, if you haven't sold it yet.
Old 25th November 2011, 22:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Yes am still interested n your amby. if you r selling .Please do let me know how much you want for it n also let me know its present condition.Have a brother in BLR who can also check out the car.
Please keep me posted.
Thanks,
Singh.
Old 26th November 2011, 14:22   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.SINGH View Post
Hi,
Yes am still interested n your amby. if you r selling .Please do let me know how much you want for it n also let me know its present condition.Have a brother in BLR who can also check out the car.
Please keep me posted.
Thanks,
Singh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Can you post details and pictures of your car, if you haven't sold it yet.
Photos of the car are available on the Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery on Team BHP. they were posted on 17th June 2010 by me.

you can PM me for other details. I am unable to send a PM from my id so please PM me your email id as well and contact details.
Old 26th November 2011, 16:49   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

ShaSun The car looks very original. I hope it is still in the same condition.The link can be seen here on this post by all interested:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ry-eng-nos.jpg
Old 26th November 2011, 21:36   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Photos of the car are available on the Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery on Team BHP. they were posted on 17th June 2010 by me.

you can PM me for other details. I am unable to send a PM from my id so please PM me your email id as well and contact details.
Hi,
Just wanted to fwd my e mail dhallisingh@gmail.com.
Look fwd to hear from you about ur Amby.
Regards,
Singh.
Old 10th July 2012, 15:51   #28

I picked it up for 30K :-)))

Hi Siva,

I am looking for a good mechanic for my Amby and looking for few spares .
my contact number is 9886781073 and email id karans_db99@yahoo.com, do share you number, I will reach out to you :-)

The floor mounted dipper switch is in place Sir!

Hey Pavan,

do share me your number pls, my number is 9886781073. Wanted some help in restoring my Mark-II Amby.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 10th July 2012 at 19:32. Reason: Merging consecutive posts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks