Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2011, 15:01   #76
BHPian

Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
yes the release bearing is carbon type, and is new,should i replace it with the late model one and pls elaborate the "loading plate" do you mean the plate below the shifter or what ,pls suggest.
and also i opened the shifter and got the entire thing chromed,including the stop plate and now iam unable to put it back,i didnt mark the plate,and the shifter becomes too hard when i tighten the bolts and after some long adjustments it moves when pressed (like for reverse) but stiffs when it pops up? also i checked the coupling and shift rod cup, they look pretty healthy and firm.so how to adjust the shifter and shifting problem kindly suggest
Old 11th February 2011, 17:26   #77
BHPian

Quote:
and also i opened the shifter and got the entire thing chromed,including the stop plate and now iam unable to put it back,i didnt mark the plate,and the shifter becomes too hard when i tighten the bolts and after some long adjustments it moves when pressed (like for reverse) but stiffs when it pops up? also i checked the coupling and shift rod cup, they look pretty healthy and firm.so how to adjust the shifter and shifting problem kindly suggest
can some one here help me, my shifter is posing me a problem its moving when pressed (eg for reverse) but stiff rather jammed in normal position ,any clues for the mystery
Old 11th February 2011, 20:02   #78
BANNED

Quote:
can some one here help me, my shifter is posing me a problem its moving when pressed (eg for reverse) but stiff rather jammed in normal position ,any clues for the mystery

Very peculiar issue sirjeee.

Why dont you do something sir.

Remove the coupler in the centre spine, and ask your mechanic to shift gears and check, if things are fine, then your gearbox is PERFECT.

If so, you might have to get a new coupler.

Please check this and let us know later on what happened.
Old 23rd February 2011, 16:55   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Very peculiar issue sirjeee.

Why dont you do something sir.

Remove the coupler in the centre spine, and ask your mechanic to shift gears and check, if things are fine, then your gearbox is PERFECT.

If so, you might have to get a new coupler.

Please check this and let us know later on what happened.
interiors complete carpet fits fine pictures following
Old 2nd March 2011, 17:57   #80
Senior - BHPian

For those who would like to see how a concourse oreeginal VW beetle will really look like, please see this. pictures say it better than words!!
https://picasaweb.google.com/pascalg...CNfu6KbQ2Y63Pg#
Old 9th March 2011, 14:22   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
For those who would like to see how a concourse oreeginal VW beetle will really look like, please see this. pictures say it better than words!!
wow wow ajay ji, the car is really in ship shape, really enviable and admirable piece of originality, hats off to the owner who kept her in a such a nice mint condition,everyone here must see
Old 9th March 2011, 14:54   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
wow wow ajay ji, the car is really in ship shape, really enviable and admirable piece of originality, hats off to the owner who kept her in a such a nice mint condition,everyone here must see
inderpal saheb,
The sad reality is that only few people like you,karl,imperial.s.a ,amol,etc really appreciate the uniqueness and value of such cars.after all Original is '' Oreegeenal'' and Repro is '' re-pro"'

Last edited by ajay99 : 9th March 2011 at 14:56.
Old 9th March 2011, 15:15   #83
BANNED

Quote:
inderpal saheb,
The sad reality is that only few people like you,karl,imperial.s.a ,amol,etc really appreciate the uniqueness and value of such cars.after all Original is '' Oreegeenal'' and Repro is '' re-pro"'
Even I appreciate originality but sometimes you have to settle for repros. To give you an example, you will see that its cheaper to buy a new engine from the gujuri than a set of Lucas l595 NOS lamps No offence intended And one more owner passionate about his bug - Pavan Kadam. I'm sure you like his beetle too.
Old 9th March 2011, 15:57   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthvikmagal View Post
Even I appreciate originality but sometimes you have to settle for repros. To give you an example, you will see that its cheaper to buy a new engine from the gujuri than a set of Lucas l595 NOS lamps No offence intended And one more owner passionate about his bug - Pavan Kadam. I'm sure you like his beetle too.
I was under the impression you get only old engines from the gujri.are brand new engines also available???
Regarding the beetle you have mentioned, irrespective of who owns it,it can not be considered a concourse or mint level originality preserved beetle( the owner may also agree with me on that).At least having seen the blue beetle shown in the above post,you must have understood what an original beetle means.

Last edited by ajay99 : 9th March 2011 at 16:07.
Old 9th March 2011, 16:31   #85
BANNED

Oops!I was referring to old engines. But some run as good as new too
Old 9th March 2011, 17:24   #86
BANNED

Quote:

What makes you think that this Beetle is OREEGINAL

Its a great example, but certainly not ORIGINAL.

This car is a perfect 1962-63 model, very CLEAN, Well RESTORED, but not PERIOD ORIGINAL.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-dsc_7749_5223.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-dsc_7672_5146.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-dsc_7752_5226.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-dsc_7732_5206.jpg  

Old 9th March 2011, 17:53   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/pascalg...Nfu6KbQ2Y63Pg#
The car is something truly incredible, I can only imagine the amount of effort taken to detail/preserve the car in this condition. Outstanding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
What makes you think that this Beetle is OREEGINAL

Its a great example, but certainly not ORIGINAL.

This car is a perfect 1962-63 model, very CLEAN, Well RESTORED, but not PERIOD ORIGINAL.
Kadam can you please explain why you say the car is not original? I must have missed something, as the car looks 100% bone stock to me. Just curious, thanks.
Old 9th March 2011, 19:17   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The car is something truly incredible, I can only imagine the amount of effort taken to detail/preserve the car in this condition. Outstanding!

Kadam can you please explain why you say the car is not original? I must have missed something, as the car looks 100% bone stock to me. Just curious, thanks.
What karl says is correct.
Rather than making a generic statement that it is not OREEGINAL,it would have been really informative if it could be pointed out specifically what all things are not period correct and not original.
Old 9th March 2011, 19:51   #89
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Gill Sir, truly remarkable job and must congratulate you on your commitment for this restoration

Quote:
Me too very curious

cheers
Old 9th March 2011, 21:30   #90
BANNED

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Gill Sir, truly remarkable job and must congratulate you on your commitment for this restoration

Me too very curious

cheers
Sorry for hijacking Inderpal Gill saab's Wonderful Thread and going off-topic.

Intentions were not to nitpick on something Wonderful.

The car shown is IMPECCABLE, but not period Correct as what Ajay is been harping on.

1) Distributor used is of a 1973-1974 (Those Wide distributors were made only for 1 year)
2) Sticker used says 1976, but this particular model with its specifications were never made after 1962-1963.
3) The carb for a 1962-63 has to be 28 PICT, but whats shown is a 32 PICT
4) The Dynamo pulley for a Pre-63 car has to be of 3inch Dia, but this car uses the one's used in a later model.
5) Mirrors used are of the wrong kind.
6) Oval headlight cars never came after 1967.

Well, i dont debate on the car showcased being TOO GOOD to be true, Its not a Stock car, its a RESTORED Car, and EXCEPTIONALLY RESTORED ONE

Most Viewed