Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2011, 10:44   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

The car shown is IMPECCABLE, but not period Correct as what Ajay is been harping on.

1) Distributor used is of a 1973-1974 (Those Wide distributors were made only for 1 year)
2) Sticker used says 1976, but this particular model with its specifications were never made after 1962-1963.
3) The carb for a 1962-63 has to be 28 PICT, but whats shown is a 32 PICT
4) The Dynamo pulley for a Pre-63 car has to be of 3inch Dia, but this car uses the one's used in a later model.
5) Mirrors used are of the wrong kind.
6) Oval headlight cars never came after 1967.

Well, i dont debate on the car showcased being TOO GOOD to be true, Its not a Stock car, its a RESTORED Car, and EXCEPTIONALLY RESTORED ONE
Thanks for explaining. I'm not too sound on technical variations, so I'm afraid I do not know which distributor or carb should be correct for the car. (The car looks like an out and out 'survivor', maybe the owner retained the few upgrades as he got the car).

The sticker does say 1976, but that doesn't imply the sticker was fitted new. It is probably a road tax/inspection/fitness sticker? Just an old sticker on the car, which looks cool. Probably when the car was last taxed and then taken off the road. I'm not too sure whether a pear mirror (as fitted on this car) is not original for this model, but I'm no expert. I do know for sure though the headlights seem correct for the car, and the car is naturally pre 67. Cheers.
Old 10th March 2011, 11:28   #92
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Thanks for explaining. I'm not too sound on technical variations, so I'm afraid I do not know which distributor or carb should be correct for the car. (The car looks like an out and out 'survivor', maybe the owner retained the few upgrades as he got the car).

The sticker does say 1976, but that doesn't imply the sticker was fitted new. It is probably a road tax/inspection/fitness sticker? Just an old sticker on the car, which looks cool. Probably when the car was last taxed and then taken off the road. I'm not too sure whether a pear mirror (as fitted on this car) is not original for this model, but I'm no expert. I do know for sure though the headlights seem correct for the car, and the car is naturally pre 67. Cheers.
Deep inside all of us, we long for getting our car close that featured Blue car, but somehow we dont have resources to get there. Anyways, we need to be happy to have our cars the way it is.

End of that discussion, that featured car Not Fully Original, its a Great Example no doubts. And its a 1962 car, i am saying this since, i have just recently got a very original 1962 Beetle, unrestored, but needs restoration. All the features of that Blue car matches with the one i have.

Inderpal ji, any updates on your car. Long time you have not updated your thread. Only we guys are hijacking this, But all in all, lot of knowledge shared.
Old 10th March 2011, 12:34   #93
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Inderpal ji, any updates on your car. Long time you have not updated your thread. Only we guys are hijacking this, But all in all, lot of knowledge shared.
LOL. The Blue Car is Inderpal's car. You focussed too much on what is wrong in the car, guess we need to add wrong number plates
Old 10th March 2011, 18:42   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for hijacking Inderpal Gill saab's Wonderful Thread and going off-topic.

Intentions were not to nitpick on something Wonderful.

The car shown is IMPECCABLE, but not period Correct as what Ajay is been harping on.

1) Distributor used is of a 1973-1974 (Those Wide distributors were made only for 1 year)
2) Sticker used says 1976, but this particular model with its specifications were never made after 1962-1963.
3) The carb for a 1962-63 has to be 28 PICT, but whats shown is a 32 PICT
4) The Dynamo pulley for a Pre-63 car has to be of 3inch Dia, but this car uses the one's used in a later model.
5) Mirrors used are of the wrong kind.
6) Oval headlight cars never came after 1967.

Well, i dont debate on the car showcased being TOO GOOD to be true, Its not a Stock car, its a RESTORED Car, and EXCEPTIONALLY RESTORED ONE
First of all it is not a restored car,but a maintained(preserved specimen)
Second,let me answer your noted things.
1.The car is a1962 model car and the 40HP fat distributor came in models from 1961-1964
2.This sticker has nothing to do perse with beetle,but just an INSPECTION sticker the word ''BESIKTNING ""written there means ''INSPECTION ''in SWEDISH Language
3.The çarburretor shown there is definitely not 32PDSIT
4.The car is still running on 6 volts,and therefore the pulley should be correct.
5.The Mirrors appears to be correct for 62 model
6.yes, oval headlights never came after 67 july, the car is 62 model,62 is pre 67 is it not

Last but not least, here is the owners description of the car

Quote:
1962 Swedish Beetle, Superb Original Survivor, Pure Time Warp!

I think the best way for me to describe this phenomenally original Beetle is to simply say if you could imagine traveling back in time to roughly 1970 in Sweden and finding a purely original, untampered, meticulously maintained, and mature adult owned 8 year old Beetle in a garage. This Beetle has a complete time capsule quality that must be seen, heard, felt, and even smelled to be completely understood. Essentially the only deviation from a otherwise purely original car is the Michelin radial tires on it. The paint, interior, engine, running gear, rubber, glass, wheels, bumpers, lights, lenses, etc. are all factory original! Some of the many European details include blade bumpers, fluted headlights, amber and red taillight lenses, Euro spec seat covers, kilometer speedometer, and original "Fahrt Start" steering lock/ignition system. All 5 wheels are original to the car with original paint and are topped with the original batch code matched hubcaps to the car! Very few Beetles of this era have survived with such extensive original details intact after nearly 50 years of life! Also included are the original dealer accessory side view mirrors, owners manual, dealer service booklet, all service receipts since new, the original Swedish license plates, Swedish registration paperwork, both original VW keys in as-NOS condition, and even the original VW dealer stamped number tag is still on the key chain! Quite simply, this 124,000 original kilometer (approximately 77,000 miles) Beetle is the epitome of proper care, respect for the original design, and pride of ownership.

Other interesting details about this Beetle and how it has survived so well include that it received a undercoating treatment right away as well as a rust inhibitive treatment called "Tectyl" which is a oily/waxy coating that is sprayed inside closed panels to keep rust from starting in the first place. You can see small traces of the Tectyl coating between some of the body seams and closed panels. They obviously have done their job superbly as this Beetle is as solid as any you've ever seen. The receipts from both of those systems are still with the car, too.

The body is in superb condition and is still displaying strong original L390 Gulf Blue paint. The panel alignment, body gaps, and general straightness of the body is first rate. The color coordinated original blue fender beading and running board mats are still intact and the aprons including the front spare tire well are incredible. The European blade bumpers are the originals with beautiful original German chrome, superb brackets, hardware, and even the original rubber grommets are in perfect alignment. the finest small details are intact and untampered.

The interior is absolutely incredible and purely original! From the mohair headliner, the mint original door panels, stellar original European spec seat covers, glossy and spotless original Gulf Blue paint, near NOS appearing chrome, impossibly nice original paint seat frames, to the mint and "still clean" floor mats", this Beetle is a first rate survivor. A peek below the floor mats shows excellent original tar boards that literally have never even seen dirt! This interior has not been cleaned, polished, waxed, touched up, or anything of the like. Quite simply, it's never even been dirty in the first place! The famous VW interior smell is still in full effect as well. The steering wheel is as mint as can be, the chrome horn ring looks NOS, the dash chrome is mint, the glove box liner is super nice, and the ashtray has never been used! Mechanically this Beetle is in excellent condition and absolutely bone stock aside from the previously mentioned Michelin tires and a set of newer Koni shocks. The engine is the original matching numbers 1200cc stale air 40hp and has just about 77,000 original miles. The transaxle is also original and the electrical system is of course still 6 volt as well.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th March 2011 at 22:40. Reason: Removing BOLD text, sounds like shouting online and affects readability.
Old 11th March 2011, 09:05   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
First of all it is not a restored car,but a maintained(preserved specimen)
Second,let me answer your noted things.
1.The car is a1962 model car and the 40HP fat distributor came in models from 1961-1964
2.This sticker has nothing to do perse with beetle,but just an INSPECTION sticker the word ''BESIKTNING ""written there means ''INSPECTION ''in SWEDISH Language
3.The çarburretor shown there is definitely not 32PDSIT
4.The car is still running on 6 volts,and therefore the pulley should be correct.
5.The Mirrors appears to be correct for 62 model
6.yes, oval headlights never came after 67 july, the car is 62 model,62 is pre 67 is it not

Last but not least, here is the owners description of the car

I some times dont understand the motive behind some of these posts, Ajay, dont you think you could have avoided all the disputes on whats behind the engine and what not from so many members had you just posted everything in one post including the owners description?
Old 12th March 2011, 11:14   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srisha View Post
I some times dont understand the motive behind some of these posts, Ajay, dont you think you could have avoided all the disputes on whats behind the engine and what not from so many members had you just posted everything in one post including the owners description?
no issues my friends ,just admire the beauty and enjoy life just for information my 61 beetle has the similar fat distributor,you can find the pics in this thread some where,and regarding the updates the work is bit slow as iam waiting for the wheel cylinders and rest almost done,the carpets ,door panels etc also i need some help for the dash strip=locks i have only 2,
interestingly I recently and luckily found an engine in ludhiana, it has the no AD355174 AND HAS A DOG HOISE AIR COOLER and an external oil filter(like these days cars have), the flywheel is as good as new and the Gland nut is like new, air deflectors intact and the compression is super, I feel the engine is stock and bever rebuilt ,I don't know why the block is painted green and the tin is missing ,mainly the shroud rest allmost all tin I have with me, I think its a 1600 ,pls help to crack whats that,and to be mentioned the oil filter reads "NAPA MADE IN USA" also has a009 distributor
Cheers and enjoy the weekend
Inderpal S Gill
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011031101284.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011031101288.jpg  

Old 12th March 2011, 11:22   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srisha View Post
srisha, there is no motive other than to show the members what a concourse/unrestored specimen really looks like.If you look at the posts you can clearly note that there is no dispute regarding the car among most members. I did not post the owners description in the first place ,because I was under the impression ""photos'' will work better than '' words''.

Last edited by ajay99 : 12th March 2011 at 11:25.
Old 12th March 2011, 11:55   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
no issues my friends ,just admire the beauty and enjoy life just for information my 61 beetle has the similar fat distributor,you can find the pics in this thread some where,and regarding the updates the work is bit slow as iam waiting for the wheel cylinders and rest almost done,the carpets ,door panels etc also i need some help for the dash strip=locks i have only 2,
interestingly I recently and luckily found an engine in ludhiana, it has the no AD355174 AND HAS A DOG HOISE AIR COOLER and an external oil filter(like these days cars have), the flywheel is as good as new and the Gland nut is like new, air deflectors intact and the compression is super, I feel the engine is stock and bever rebuilt ,I don't know why the block is painted green and the tin is missing ,mainly the shroud rest allmost all tin I have with me, I think its a 1600 ,pls help to crack whats that,and to be mentioned the oil filter reads "NAPA MADE IN USA" also has a009 distributor
Cheers and enjoy the weekend
Inderpal S Gill
The engines with the AD letter code were sold by VW as replacements, And never came installed in any car from the factory. More info here: TheSamba.com :: VW Engine Letter Codes
Old 12th March 2011, 12:09   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
The engines with the AD letter code were sold by VW as replacements, And never came installed in any car from the factory. More info here: TheSamba.com :: VW Engine Letter Codes
yes i agree with you , may be this is the reason the engine looks so fresh and has an external oil cooler can u help for the year and is it 1600?
Old 12th March 2011, 13:12   #100
BHPian

It is a 1600. Not sure about the year.
Old 12th March 2011, 20:40   #101
BANNED

Quote:
srisha, there is no motive other than to show the members what a concourse/unrestored specimen really looks like.If you look at the posts you can clearly note that there is no dispute regarding the car among most members. I did not post the owners description in the first place ,because I was under the impression ""photos'' will work better than '' words''.
OK Mr. Know All, We know the motive, lets not go further Off-topic discussing. Most of the members still have doubts, me too. I can provide a documentational proof of few NON ORIGINAL Stuff on that Car.

That is a Beautiful car, Most ORIGINAL than any car seen by far, but certainly not a PERIOD ORIGINAL CAR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
yes i agree with you , may be this is the reason the engine looks so fresh and has an external oil cooler can u help for the year and is it 1600?

Sirjee, that looks like a 1300 cc Single port engine, But may i know why is this engine getting a mention right now? Are you by any chance replacing this engine on your 61 Bug?
Old 12th March 2011, 22:23   #102
Senior - BHPian

Inderpal Paaji,

You can find more info about the same at

TheSamba.com :: VW Engine Letter Codes

I think the site is most trusted by VWians.
Old 13th March 2011, 00:24   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Sirjee, that looks like a 1300 cc Single port engine, But may i know why is this engine getting a mention right now? Are you by any chance replacing this engine on your 61 Bug?
The AD letter code was used on 1600cc replacement engines.
It's a little hard to tell due to the quality of the picture, but it looks like a dual port to me. Look closely at the top of the cylinder heads, There defiantly seem to be two intake ports.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-right.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 13th March 2011, 09:53   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK Mr. Know All, We know the motive, lets not go further Off-topic discussing. Most of the members still have doubts, me too. I can provide a documentational proof of few NON ORIGINAL Stuff on that Car.

That is a Beautiful car, Most ORIGINAL than any car seen by far, but certainly not a PERIOD ORIGINAL CAR.

If members have doubts they will surely express it on the forum and the only member who has expressed doubts about this car on the forum is your kind self , if you have proof regarding the non original items, please provide it on the forum so novices like us can gain knowledge about it.

Last edited by ajay99 : 13th March 2011 at 10:14.
Old 13th March 2011, 12:45   #105
BANNED

Quote:
If members have doubts they will surely express it on the forum and the only member who has expressed doubts about this car on the forum is your kind self , if you have proof regarding the non original items, please provide it on the forum so novices like us can gain knowledge about it.
Keen eyes Santaji

In this case it must surely be a 1303 or a 1600cc engine.

But Inderpal sir has still not answered my question. Why this engine is discussed now.??????

Sirjee, are you contemplating on changing this engine on your 1961..... Is it so....???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks