Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2010, 12:43   #1
BHPian

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

hello friends, i have just completed the paint job on my 1961 beetle,i have tried a combination of sea blue and lotus white from the vw original shades and painted the roof white, as an experiment,if the final product suits the car its ok or else i will paint the roof as the body pain,let see,suggestions are welcome, pls do not consider originality as i know this combination never came from factory,i am keeping in mind the originality and period look, but not obsessed with that thing, so minor alteration for daily traffic will be done ,majority parts are original,like i have fitted the alternator by Bosch instead of 6v dynamo,and trying to 16" alloys instead of bias ply tires,but no alteration to the drums have been done,so i can switch back to original rims any time,pics following
Old 20th December 2010, 12:46   #2
BHPian

Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
hello friends, i have just completed the paint job on my 1961 beetle,i have tried a combination of sea blue and lotus white from the vw original shades and painted the roof white, as an experiment,if the final product suits the car its ok or else i will paint the roof as the body pain,let see,suggestions are welcome, pls do not consider originality as i know this combination never came from factory,i am keeping in mind the originality and period look, but not obsessed with that thing, so minor alteration for daily traffic will be done ,majority parts are original,like i have fitted the alternator by Bosch instead of 6v dynamo,and trying to 16" alloys instead of bias ply tires,but no alteration to the drums have been done,so i can switch back to original rims any time,pics following
awaiting pics! should look good!
Old 20th December 2010, 12:49   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
awaiting pics! should look good!
Mee too awaiting pics

Gill saab, How do you think a a 1961 VW Beetle will be, if

1) Its a single owner
2) If its paint is Original
3) Upholstery is Original
4) And its a 6Volts, still working fine
5) Has 14650 genuine kms on the ODO

Keep watching this section..............!
Old 20th December 2010, 12:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Mee too awaiting pics

Gill saab, How do you think a a 1961 VW Beetle will be, if

1) Its a single owner
2) If its paint is Original
3) Upholstery is Original
4) And its a 6Volts, still working fine
5) Has 14650 genuine kms on the ODO

Keep watching this section..............!

Pavan,

Dude, stop hoarding all the good one's for yourself! .
Had sent you a pm.. any luck?
Old 20th December 2010, 13:45   #5
BHPian

here are a few set of pics description as of
just before the first coat of lotus white,then after the lotus white is done,then after the sea blue done ,steering wheel,gear shift knob is done in ivory finish and back home, then the alloys come from skoda laura 16"keeping near the fender just for imagination,some times the combination looks good but some times looks odd, but i think we can decide after the car is complete and full accessories etc are fitted upon, present stage =wiring almost done electrician fitting the lights etc,and a bad news i got a pair of hella made in Germany lens, now i lens is missing ,may be my car care taker broke it and is now hiding the truth,any ways will use some other lens for time being,till i find second hella lens.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-19112010444.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-19112010445.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-22112010451.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-22112010452.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-22112010453.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2010121000038.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2010121000039.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2010121300076.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2010121300077.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2010121400081.jpg  

Old 20th December 2010, 13:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
here are a few set of pics description as of
just before the first coat of lotus white,then after the lotus white is done,then after the sea blue done ,steering wheel,gear shift knob is done in ivory finish and back home, then the alloys come from skoda laura 16"keeping near the fender just for imagination,some times the combination looks good but some times looks odd, but i think we can decide after the car is complete and full accessories etc are fitted upon, present stage =wiring almost done electrician fitting the lights etc,and a bad news i got a pair of hella made in Germany lens, now i lens is missing ,may be my car care taker broke it and is now hiding the truth,any ways will use some other lens for time being,till i find second hella lens.
i have to manage the point where both shades meet,suggestions are welcome, be it be at the roof end/bonnet end/mid way as a diagnol etc etc
Old 20th December 2010, 13:49   #7
BHPian

i missed the picture of alloy here it is along with the pic of license plate housing after and before fitting,it is original hella vw logo on it,Thank god,the seal has been replaced
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2010121400083.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2010121400090.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2010121400091.jpg  

Old 20th December 2010, 14:05   #8
BHPian

the rubbers and the glasses are new the rear one is old, rest all are toughened and tinted blue glasses, originals are full of scratches and were difficult to manage so they are now packed/wrapped and kept aside safely,the rubbers have plastic chrome moldings but were too tight to fit,may be due to the north Indian winters,will fit the chrome part in summers,by that time the rubbers will adapt the glasses and will be soft due to heat.
strips and the bumper blades are new made of ss will post pics as i fit them.
Old 20th December 2010, 16:12   #9
evo
BHPian

@inderpalgaill

My two bits here, I think the blue and white paint scheme is a great idea, however in my view, it may look nicer if the bonnet was painted the same as the roof and the dicky too.

(It feels funny to use the words bonnet and dicky for a rear engined car!)
Old 20th December 2010, 16:28   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
@inderpalgaill

My two bits here, I think the blue and white paint scheme is a great idea, however in my view, it may look nicer if the bonnet was painted the same as the roof and the dicky too.

(It feels funny to use the words bonnet and dicky for a rear engined car!)
yes,this i totally agree,many of my friends and even my father(equal enthusiast) suggested me for this, but iam a bit double minded that i may not overdo the job,lets see after the bumpers headlights and strips etc come on the car,and as u suggest,and the poll rises,we can send the bonnet(or dicky ha ha) for white paint
Old 20th December 2010, 16:39   #11
BHPian

Inderpalji,
I had thought sea blue would be a lighter shade of blue. the combination looks a little stark to me. but thats my opinion. car is looking nice, how long before it is finished completely, and road worthy?

On another note, the licence plate says ontario, was it brought into india on TR by somebody in Canada?
Old 20th December 2010, 17:12   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Inderpalji,
I had thought sea blue would be a lighter shade of blue. the combination looks a little stark to me. but thats my opinion. car is looking nice, how long before it is finished completely, and road worthy?

On another note, the licence plate says ontario, was it brought into india on TR by somebody in Canada?
hi,
thanks for the words, actually the blue is somewhat like peacock blue and the shade differs a bit in pictures,the car will be raodworthy by the year end as iam expecting some parts like the exhaust and the chrome fire wall by mid of this week, iam assembling the car myself that is why the speed is slow,but the love and bonds get stronger i believe,ha ha,as we can do the work as per own taste and likings,and reg the plate No,its just a plate from my old car in Canada,the car is GDA (goa ) registered,the plate was mounted just to drill holes for the licence plate bracket
Thanks again
Old 20th December 2010, 20:09   #13
BANNED

A Bug is a Bug, and a person with a Bug is Bugged for ever

Sirjee, the car is looking great.

Waiting for the final outcome.

What is in store for the interiors, does it too get a 2 tone treatment?

Quote:
Pavan,

Dude, stop hoarding all the good one's for yourself! .
Had sent you a pm.. any luck?

Kevin,

You heard it right.... Its the Most Original and Stock and well preserved 1961 VW Beetle ever seen so far.

I had spotted this Beetle few months ago, for a friend of mine, My friend has taken a lots of time and pain getting it here.

Kindly wait untill next week..

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 20th December 2010 at 20:13.
Old 21st December 2010, 05:10   #14
BHPian

great project paaji. looking forward to the finished product. that first drive is going to be memorable and satisfying one considering you're putting it together yourself.

Quote:
Inderpalji,

i was also going to ask about the ontario plates. the blue definitely matches the car. haha.
Old 21st December 2010, 13:52   #15
BHPian

some of the progress's, new original vw logo fixed,original rear view mirror back on place,original new hinge hole screw caps fixed,pear shape mirror out of box,but didn't fix,some difference in threads will be making a small adapter match both threads,expecting adapter plates for alloys today.need a suggestion as u all can see in previous pics that the dash is not having a square cut to accommodate the mechanical fuel gauge, did 61 had a fuel gauge,or it had a measure to check fuel,if so the tank has holes for the mechanical sender,is it the fact that some one had changed the tank or the cut it to fit a sender,the tan is of vw for sure may be from a later model,pls suggest?
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2010121400088.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2010121400089.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2010121400092.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2010121500109.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2010121500110.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2010121600116.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2010121600117.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2010121600118.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks