Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2011, 10:31   #16
BHPian

Re: Lamby restoration in the UK

Edsuede,
Nice to hear about your restoration. Eager to see more pics of your restoration. What is your colour choice? Would you like to stick to the original 2-tone looks of the API lamby or you have some thing else in your mind.
From the 1st picture, the air scoop & the spare wheel bracket appears to be from a Vijai Super. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Happy restoration & scootering.
-Ilango
Old 3rd January 2011, 17:25   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Edsuede,
Nice to hear about your restoration. Eager to see more pics of your restoration. What is your colour choice? Would you like to stick to the original 2-tone looks of the API lamby or you have some thing else in your mind.
From the 1st picture, the air scoop & the spare wheel bracket appears to be from a Vijai Super. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Happy restoration & scootering.
-Ilango
Hi Ilango
Thanks for your interest and good wishes.
Colour choice is non-original (but 2 tone) - bright yellow and gloss black.
You are correct regarding the air scoop - it is the bigger Vijai scoop which allows better air flow. Although I will using the original Lamby engine casings, gearbox etc I'm upgrading the rest of the engine to Vijai barrel, piston, carb, exhaust, crank etc. The spare wheel bracket is an original API item - note how it has a curve at its base to correspond with the curve on the series 2 frame.

Regards
Ed
Old 3rd January 2011, 18:37   #18
BHPian

Hi edsuede,

Nice to see the scooter and hats off for your effort.

That spare number plate.....MEG.....looks like from my place, any history to share ?

cheers
Old 3rd January 2011, 20:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Hi edsuede,

Nice to see the scooter and hats off for your effort.

That spare number plate.....MEG.....looks like from my place, any history to share ?

cheers
Hi Girishpv

The Lamby is made up of parts from 2 incomplete Lambys that I purchased seperately and very cheaply. Some of the parts on these were beyond economic repair. One of these useless parts was the frame that this number plate belonged to (basically the major flaw being that the whole of the steering down tube had rotted away at the bottom).

As I had this registration number I decided to save it so that it and some of the bodywork and the engine from the scooter that bore this number might survive in it's new home in the UK. After all, it doesn't matter here in the UK that the frame of my scooter bares a different Indian registration to that it once held.

The little I know about the 'MEG' Lamby is that it was sold to UK dealer Fanatic Scooters (Bristol) by an Indian agent based at Kapikad, Bejai, Mangalore. My understanding is that this vehicle was originally registered in Mangalore.

Regards
Ed
Old 4th January 2011, 02:11   #20
BHPian

Ed. Congratulations and wish you all the best for your efforts. I really appreciate that you are going to preserve the original indian look of Lamby and not convert it to some italian version. Looking forward to some more pictures of your restoration process..

Regards,

Priy
Old 4th January 2011, 10:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsuede View Post
Although I will using the original Lamby engine casings, gearbox etc I'm upgrading the rest of the engine to Vijai barrel, piston, carb, exhaust, crank etc.
- Are you up for any tuned barrel or going with 150CC standard? Vijai ratios are better for drivability in city. I would recommend going for Vijai gear sets if you can find one. I guess the magneto and stator will also need to be changed, as the tapers will be different. If your buget permits, probably you can upgrade to electronic ignition & Battery. Going with the standard small sprocket or a higher number to get better speeds? Vijai Carb - Which one, Solex / Jetex / Mikcarb? I think I am stuffing you with lot of questions. Just curious to know how you want your machine to perform.

Quote:
The spare wheel bracket is an original API item - note how it has a curve at its base to correspond with the curve on the series 2 frame.
- Noted.

Last edited by ilangop : 4th January 2011 at 11:01.
Old 5th January 2011, 00:53   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
- Are you up for any tuned barrel or going with 150CC standard? Vijai ratios are better for drivability in city. I would recommend going for Vijai gear sets if you can find one. I guess the magneto and stator will also need to be changed, as the tapers will be different. If your buget permits, probably you can upgrade to electronic ignition & Battery. Going with the standard small sprocket or a higher number to get better speeds? Vijai Carb - Which one, Solex / Jetex / Mikcarb? I think I am stuffing you with lot of questions. Just curious to know how you want your machine to perform.

- Noted.
Hi Ilango

No problem with the questions - ask away

I want to use as much of the Lamby internals as possible whilst uprating the performance to better suit the very fast roads of the UK.

I am looking to fit a tuned Vijay barrel. The LI150 gearbox of the Lamby is a better set up for tuned engines. The scooter will be ridden solo by me (my wife owns and rides her own Lambrettas) and it will be used mostly on weekend run outs so issues of pillion carrying/fuel economy/stop-start urban use etc don't really figure. Sprocket size will be advised by my local scooter dealer (AF Rayspeed) who are one of the UK's foremost Lambretta tuners - ideally I want a compromise of decent torque (we have a few hills around here) yet a reasonable turn of speed on the long straight roads. The scooter will have AC electronic ignition (very few Lambretta riders in the UK use a points set up these days).

I use Jetex carbs - I've always found them to be reasonably priced with good performance, and, in the case of 200cc or above set ups they can be comfortably taken out from 22mm to 26mm whilst still utilising the standard Vijai air scoop, air box and hose set up.

Regards
Ed
Old 6th January 2011, 12:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi Edseude,

Good to see you restoring a Lamby to it's original glory. Request you to post as many pics as you can, also cataloging your restoration process in detail so that it will be useful for Lamby fans like me. You see, I have a vested interest in this - I have an old Lamby with me, awaiting restoration when I get back to India.

Cheers,
Old 6th January 2011, 13:41   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Hi Edseude,

Good to see you restoring a Lamby to it's original glory. Request you to post as many pics as you can, also cataloging your restoration process in detail so that it will be useful for Lamby fans like me. You see, I have a vested interest in this - I have an old Lamby with me, awaiting restoration when I get back to India.

Cheers,
Hi Kuttapan

Hopefully I will have more photos to post over the weekend as I'm collecting the side panels, inner legsheild tool box, horn cast, spare wheel disc from the sprayers.

I hope that you'll post some photos of your Lamby on here too

Regards
Ed
Old 7th January 2011, 19:28   #25
BHPian

Edsuede, can't remember if I thanked you for the poster you sent me. Much appreciated.

I think the trick with your restoration will be to not overdo the finish. As you know, in the uk we tend to restore scooters to look like show winners when in fact, and no offence meant, the Indian derivatives tended to be a little 'less glossy'.

I have restored my Pushpak as near to original as possible but with a uk military theme and once the novelty has worn off I will revert it to original. By then i think it will be appreciated a little more for what it is.

Stanher, is that a seat on the front of the Lamby?
Old 7th January 2011, 19:35   #26
BHPian

the seat is in front of the door!!
Old 7th January 2011, 20:10   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush350 View Post
the seat is in front of the door!!
That's a chair, which is placed in front of the door! 'has nothing to do with the Lamby!
Old 8th January 2011, 00:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Edsuede, can't remember if I thanked you for the poster you sent me. Much appreciated.

I think the trick with your restoration will be to not overdo the finish. As you know, in the uk we tend to restore scooters to look like show winners when in fact, and no offence meant, the Indian derivatives tended to be a little 'less glossy'.

I have restored my Pushpak as near to original as possible but with a uk military theme and once the novelty has worn off I will revert it to original. By then i think it will be appreciated a little more for what it is.

Hi Mitch

Good to hear from you again and yes, you've already thanked me for the brochure Glad it's of interest.

The finish on my Lamby will definately not be overdone in terms of gloss - but it won't be dull either - it's a compromise between the two - something I discussed at length with my sprayer and I feel that the finish (from what I've seen so far) is about right for what will be a solid work horse that pays tribute to this Indian scooter icon.

I should stress to everyone that I'm not setting out to do a totally authentic restoration, rather a rebuild that utilises as many Indian parts as possible and which maintains and celebrates the charactor of the machine and it's heritage. Certainly the colour scheme will be unlike anything I've seen on Indian scooters - everything gloss black (wheel rims, hubs, forks included) with the exception of the horncast, side panels, legshield tool box and spare wheel disc which will be bright yellow - the colour scheme has been chosen purely because I like these colours and I want the scooter to stand out.

I will have some more photos to post over the weekend

Regards
Ed
Old 8th January 2011, 00:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen - Is anybody interested in a 70's Lambretta and Polo in Bangalore or anywhere? I know a guy who has these two well done up and ready to sell.
Old 8th January 2011, 00:37   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Sprocket size will be advised by my local scooter dealer (AF Rayspeed) who are one of the UK's foremost Lambretta tuners
Ed
..How I wish I could say something like that!! How good are the TS1 kits that they sell? Im thinking of getting one of those down to India. Let me know if you have any idea.

Cheers,
Prashanth

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks