Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2011, 00:58   #31
BHPian

Re: Lamby restoration in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanth_benz View Post
..How I wish I could say something like that!! How good are the TS1 kits that they sell? Im thinking of getting one of those down to India. Let me know if you have any idea.

Cheers,
Prashanth
Hi Prashanth

The TS1 kits are amazing - but the whole engine needs rebuilding with good quality up-rated parts, crank, bearings, much bigger carb, expansion exhaust etc so it can all work out very expensive to build a TS1 kitted engine in the UK - I dread to think what the cost would be to import all the bits needed to India Due to the incredible performance boost these kits give, a hydraulic front brake conversion is recommended also .

My advice is to email AF Rayspeed (PM me if you need their email address) with your queries - you will find them very helpful and they are well used to shipping their kits all over the globe so will be able to advise on shipping costs etc.

Regards
Ed
Old 8th January 2011, 09:40   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsuede View Post
I dread to think what the cost would be to import all the bits needed to India
For all we know, some of these TS1 kits may have been Made in India by SIL only to be available in the 'export market', for obvious reasons!!
Old 8th January 2011, 14:43   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
For all we know, some of these TS1 kits may have been Made in India by SIL only to be available in the 'export market', for obvious reasons!!
Hi Stanher

TS1 kits are actually made in Europe as are most of the top tuning kits. I know where you're coming from on this though - it seems like most parts for Lambrettas are made in India these days.

Regards
Ed
Old 8th January 2011, 15:04   #34
BHPian

Have now got some of the sprayed parts back so here's some more photos

Here's the legshield tool box.

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Lamby restoration in the UK-00525.jpg  

Lamby restoration in the UK-0062122.jpg  

Old 8th January 2011, 15:29   #35
BHPian

Here are the side panels with 'wing' embellishers fitted.

A tip to anyone attempting this - make sure the fixing holes in the panels are opened up so that the 'wings' fit comfortably as they are made of VERY poor quality, brittle plastic that won't take alot of flexing. I also warmed up the plastic with a hairdryer to make it a little more supple

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Lamby restoration in the UK-00135.jpg  

Old 8th January 2011, 21:31   #36
BHPian

And here are the final yellow parts of the scooter - the horncast and spare wheel disc.

In order to show the horncast at it's best I have rested the API badge and original metal grille onto it.

You'll notice that I have re-painted the honcast badge - the original new old stock item was badly painted with a watery pink colour. I cleaned off the old paint and re-did it in black enamel to better match the colour scheme. I have a choice of horn grilles and have not decided yet which to use, the original metal item (powder coated black) or the plastic aftermarket item to the right in the photo made by 'Delite'

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Lamby restoration in the UK-00726.jpg  

Lamby restoration in the UK-00331.jpg  

Old 10th January 2011, 16:23   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanth_benz View Post
..How I wish I could say something like that!! How good are the TS1 kits that they sell? Im thinking of getting one of those down to India. Let me know if you have any idea.

Cheers,
Prashanth
Prasanth,

I think the term TS1 'kit' is more than a little misleading. Fitting a TS1 requires a complete engine stripdown and rebuild, using only the best quality race crank, bearings and seals. The ports would need matching and you would need to fit a large carburettor and expansion chamber. The clutch would also need uprating. The result is a very powerful, high revving machine but be aware, they are not for suitable for busy roads or general scootering. In the UK, TS1 riders use open roads and motorways where they can open up the rev range well beyond 8000 rpm. Below that they are awful to ride. Fuel consumption is also very poor, so much, in fact, that you would need a long range fuel tank. 20 to 25 mpg is about the norm.
In the UK you should allow at least £1,200 for the 'kit' and parts.

I have fitted the Mugello 186 kit to my Allwyn, even then, it needed a complete bearing and crank replacement, however it runs with a 42mm silencer and 22mm carb. It pulls like a train, revs quite high and is very economical. This conversion cost me about £650.

I would say your best bet is to source an oversized barrel piston and head, change the carb to a 22mm Jetex, the silencer to a 42mm Clubman type, match the ports, don't worry about the gearing/sprockets - my Mugello runs fine with the standard arrangement. Obviously you need to fit electronic ignition which requires a replacement stator plate and flywheel.

Hope this helps.
Old 10th January 2011, 16:29   #38
BHPian

Sorry Edsuede, typed and posted my last one and didn't notice you had already replied.

Looking forward to seeing this lamby. Something different.

When do you reckon you will unveil it?
Old 10th January 2011, 22:59   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Sorry Edsuede, typed and posted my last one and didn't notice you had already replied.

Looking forward to seeing this lamby. Something different.

When do you reckon you will unveil it?
Hi Mitch - I only need to get the frame, mudguard, tool box door, legshields, headset top and bottom and rear runners prepped and sprayed
and all is ready for re-build bar the engine (which has been completely stripped ready for re-build). The forks, stand and all other parts bar the yellow bodywork have already been powder coated gloss black.

I'm having Thursday and Friday this week off work to get the final fettling on the dry build done and the remaining parts are off to the welder/sprayer by the weekend if all goes to plan.

While I wait for these bits to come back I plan to do more prep work on the Kelvinator and will start a new thread on here detailing with that.

Fingers crossed, this or the Kelvinator (or both) will be ready for the Scarborough rally end of April.

Regards
Ed
Old 11th January 2011, 11:28   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kuttapan

Hopefully I will have more photos to post over the weekend as I'm collecting the side panels, inner legsheild tool box, horn cast, spare wheel disc from the sprayers.

I hope that you'll post some photos of your Lamby on here too

Regards
Ed
Thanks for posting the pictures. My Lamby is currently in India and unfortunately I don't have any pictures.
Old 11th January 2011, 11:40   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Here are the side panels with 'wing' embellishers fitted.

A tip to anyone attempting this - make sure the fixing holes in the panels are opened up so that the 'wings' fit comfortably as they are made of VERY poor quality, brittle plastic that won't take alot of flexing. I also warmed up the plastic with a hairdryer to make it a little more supple

Regards
Ed
Ed: The wings that came out of the factory were made of metal. The plastic ones tend to lose its silver color very quickly. At a later date, see if you get a pair cut out from a CNC. When and if I come across a good pair of the metal wings, I will pass them on.

The color looks really awesome.
Old 11th January 2011, 13:52   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Ed: The wings that came out of the factory were made of metal. The plastic ones tend to lose its silver color very quickly. At a later date, see if you get a pair cut out from a CNC. When and if I come across a good pair of the metal wings, I will pass them on.

The color looks really awesome.
Thanks for the info Tuffryder - were the metal wings fitted on the first few years of Lamby production?

The reason I ask is that I have had access to quite a few Lambys over the years including several examples (mid 80's models) that were as original - all had the plastic wings fitted.

I would be very grateful to you should you be able to source a pair of the metal wings

As to the colour - just wait until you see the full contrast between the black and yellow - it's going to look like a wasp

Regards
Ed
Old 11th January 2011, 14:09   #43
BHPian

Ed, I remember when I got all my Vijay/GP bits back from the painters and had built a brand new engine from a SIL 200 casing. Very exciting.
Times have changed a bit since then, what with the recession and all.

I have an SX150 to restore when funds allow.
Old 11th January 2011, 17:55   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Ed, I remember when I got all my Vijay/GP bits back from the painters and had built a brand new engine from a SIL 200 casing. Very exciting.
Times have changed a bit since then, what with the recession and all.

I have an SX150 to restore when funds allow.
Hi Mitch

Yes, things are getting tighter financially. I'm lucky that alot of the Lamby bits and the powdercoating were sorted last year, with alot of parts being funded through selling stuff on ebay. I'm also a terrible horder and over the years I've bought alot of parts that were going cheap in the knowledge that one day they'd come in useful. At the moment I'm fortunate in getting good rates from a local sprayer too.

Look forward to seeing some photos of the SX on here at some point

Regards
Ed
Old 12th January 2011, 03:39   #45
BHPian

Hi all

I've started to pull together all the smaller parts for the Lamby into one place - at the moment they are in various places about the house.

Thought I'd start to photograph the bits as I sort them in order to better show what type of scooter I'm putting together here.

These are all New Parts that I've managed to obtain - the handlebar levers are genuine stamped API items.

I'm pleased to have got a few sets of handlebar grip covers - quite a popular accessory in India I'm led to believe and a couple of light switches (always good having a spare!). Very pleased also to have got a set of the black ball-end lever covers - a very rare find in the UK

Second photo shows a complete cable set in black and Indian brake shoes.

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Lamby restoration in the UK-00522.jpg  

Lamby restoration in the UK-00721.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks