Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2011, 23:11   #46
BHPian

Re: Lamby restoration in the UK

Have found some time to put on some more photos;

The headlight rim in the first photo is an original one that I've had bead blasted then powder coated gloss black. I'm really pleased with the headlight lens - it's a genuine API stamped item

Second photo shows a few bits that have been powder coated to give them a more resilient finish (also cheaper than spraying).

The shockers are new Vijai items - I've had damper brackets welded on to my Lamby forks to take them.

Before anyone tells me, I know that Lamby's didn't come fitted with rear frame grilles (as pictured in the second photo) but my frame came with holes drilled to take one so I've decided to fit one instead of getting the holes welded up. However, I will stress that the grille came off a 1969 API so it is at least of Indian origin

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Lamby restoration in the UK-0122.jpg  

Lamby restoration in the UK-01012.jpg  

Old 13th January 2011, 02:44   #47
BHPian

And yet more photos

New steering bearings and cones, AC ignition switch (will be fitting electronic ignition to this scooter), AC electronic wiring loom, new 'Uni' rear brake switch, Handle bar rods, pulley wheels and bushes kit, Vijai mirrors, new locks.

Number plate holder is a Vijai item cut down to fit. The item above the bottom mirror is an after market carrying hook for Lambys and Vijais

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Lamby restoration in the UK-01311.jpg  

Lamby restoration in the UK-0152.jpg  

Old 13th January 2011, 16:15   #48
BHPian

Before anyone tells me, I know that Lamby's didn't come fitted with rear frame grilles (as pictured in the second photo) but my frame came with holes drilled to take one so I've decided to fit one instead of getting the holes welded up. However, I will stress that the grille came off a 1969 API so it is at least of Indian origin

Friends - your advice )

Since posting the information above I have had it suggested to me by another UK API enthusiast that even the pre-Lamby model series 2 Lambrettas made by API did not come with this rear frame grille and that the 1969 model that my grille came from would have had it added at a later date.

I have looked at various views of pre-Lamby model APIs posted here on the forum and cannot come to a definitive view on this as some have these fitted and some don't. Can someone please clear this matter up for me?

Regards
Ed
Old 13th January 2011, 22:15   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsuede View Post
I will stress that the grille came off a 1969 API so it is at least of Indian origin

Since posting the information above I have had it suggested to me by another UK API enthusiast that even the pre-Lamby model series 2 Lambrettas made by API did not come with this rear frame grille and that the 1969 model that my grille came from would have had it added at a later date.
Can someone please clear this matter up for me?
Ed, that person's indeed right- NONE of the API Lambrettas, not even the Li series 2 came with that rear grille- they were fitted only on the Innocenti Series 2, which came until around 1962 (the last of which discontinued the side-panel 'Lambretta' badges incidentally)
Old 13th January 2011, 22:25   #50
Senior - BHPian

Oh my God! awesome parts collection my friend even in India I guess we wouldn't be able to source such detailed, hats off to the perseverance you carry, I am eager to see the outcome. I also have a original Lamby 150 which I will restore in future. All the very best of good luck my friend.
Old 13th January 2011, 22:40   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Ed, that person's indeed right- NONE of the API Lambrettas, not even the Li series 2 came with that rear grille- they were fitted only on the Innocenti Series 2, which came until around 1962 (the last of which discontinued the side-panel 'Lambretta' badges incidentally)
Thank you Stanher - I knew I could rely on someone on here to give me an answer

I'm thinking of leaving the rear frame grille off now and getting those holes welded up after all to keep more of the Lamby's charactor

Regards
Ed
Old 13th January 2011, 22:44   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

My pleasure Ed! BTW, are you intending to fit the spare wheel on? If so, do you intend to fit it (nearly) horizontal (even the early Lambys did have it this way) or vertically as per most of the Lambys had them? The spare wheel holder bracket could be made to sit either way though.
Old 13th January 2011, 22:57   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Oh my God! awesome parts collection my friend even in India I guess we wouldn't be able to source such detailed, hats off to the perseverance you carry, I am eager to see the outcome. I also have a original Lamby 150 which I will restore in future. All the very best of good luck my friend.
Thank you Chanu - this is only a fraction of the parts for my project - I have just about all the parts for the lamby now and will post more photos over the next few weeks and months.

I have been buying and storing API bits for a couple of years now so that I have amassed most bits before starting the restoration. Luckily for me, most API parts are very cheap in the UK as there is only limited demand for them - most Lambretta owners here prefer to buy genuine Innocenti parts or Italian remade parts. Also, alot of the parts I've used are second hand - once they've been bead blasted and powder-coated they can come up better than new!

Regards
Ed
Old 13th January 2011, 23:57   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
My pleasure Ed! BTW, are you intending to fit the spare wheel on? If so, do you intend to fit it (nearly) horizontal (even the early Lambys did have it this way) or vertically as per most of the Lambys had them? The spare wheel holder bracket could be made to sit either way though.
Hi Stanher

Yes, I will be fitting the spare wheel holder and yes, I have the option of fitting it in either a horizontal or vertical (I have the frame that it can bolt to that will allow vertical fitting) manner. I have not made up my mind yet which way I will mount it.

Regards
Ed
Old 14th January 2011, 00:23   #55
BHPian

More photos

Floor runners and end caps (have managed to collect more than I actually need for this project) and various rubber items. Most of the rubbers are new but not the rubber that goes between the horncast and mudguard - I just cannot find a new one of these - luckily this one is in good condition now it has been cleaned up

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Lamby restoration in the UK-0082.jpg  

Lamby restoration in the UK-0091.jpg  

Old 14th January 2011, 10:22   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More photos

Floor runners and end caps (have managed to collect more than I actually need for this project) and various rubber items. Most of the rubbers are new but not the rubber that goes between the horncast and mudguard - I just cannot find a new one of these - luckily this one is in good condition now it has been cleaned up

Regards
Ed
WOW thats a hoard! Are you sourcing these from India or the United Kingdom?
Old 14th January 2011, 14:50   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
WOW thats a hoard! Are you sourcing these from India or the United Kingdom?
Hi Mole

In a manner of speaking both! A small amount of parts have come direct from India but the majority are from UK dealers that either go to India in person on buying trips or else have agents in India constantly sourcing machines and spares. I'm well known with certain of these dealers so they keep an eye out for rare or unusual parts for me

I'm also constantly chasing after friends who have bought API machines to restore but who sadly choose to convert them into Italian clones. This means that many parts and accessories unique to the Indian scooters get binned or, if I'm lucky, come my way for free or at least very cheap!

I have always appreciated the unique charactor of Indian scooters, however, I'm in a minority here in the UK. The majority of scooter enthusiasts in the UK still be-little anything made in India or else change Indian scooters to Italian look-a-likes in a bizzare attempt to make them more acceptable. However, an Indian made machine can easily be spotted due to the year of registration shown on it's UK number plate no matter how much the owner has tried to make it look Italian!

Still, it's not all bad. The LML range of scooters are selling well here and gaining increasing respect - this will doubtless increase greatly once the 4 stroke models become familiar. Also, there are a small yet increasing number of enthusiasts here who embrace Indian scooters for what they are and choose to celebrate their heritage rather than conceal it - these of course include fellow BHPian Mitch with his wonderful Alwyn

Regards
Ed
Old 14th January 2011, 15:52   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have always appreciated the unique charactor of Indian scooters, however, I'm in a minority here in the UK.
Ed

I think your approach has been quite correct at trying to maintain the original character of the Indian Scooters(good or Bad).

In the long run when you can find Italian make Scooters by the zillions, original Indian Scooters will be very hard to source and will value much more purely on rarity. Believe me in India, in metros like Mumbai even today we have to wait for years to see an Allwyn Pushpak going by. I dont remember the last time I saw one. These scooters left at a weak moment in our Automotive History, when villages were literally pillaged systematically for scooters, mopeds and the likes. I am sure many collectors from India would love to get their hands on these beauties at prices that they were selling in the UK for. Unfortunately unscrupulous dealers here out to make a quick buck always offer the scooters to indians for prices way above what they fetch in the UK or Europe. However I am told that exports have now slowed down, as most of the times there are many takers amongst collectors here.

Anyways are there any other rare indian scooters in the uK that you might have seen like say a Enfield Fantabulous or a Rajdoot runabout. We would love to see them if you know of any? Just as long ago Saurabh's thread inspired me, your thread has reinspired me to get into action and start restoring my '62 Li s2

Again great going man may your Indian brood grow.

rgds
Amol-the mole
Old 14th January 2011, 19:03   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Ed

Anyways are there any other rare indian scooters in the uK that you might have seen like say a Enfield Fantabulous or a Rajdoot runabout. We would love to see them if you know of any? Just as long ago Saurabh's thread inspired me, your thread has reinspired me to get into action and start restoring my '62 Li s2

Amol-the mole
Hi Amol

I've never seen a Fantabulous in the metal - would love to see one though. I only became aware of them via this great forum. I would doubt if many scooters beyond the series 2 or Vijai derivatives have found their way over here as there would simply not be the demand for them and spares would be almost impossible to source. That's not to say there arn't any and if I come across any of the less common Indian scooters here, I will of course photograph them and post the info on here.

I know for a fact from conversations with other enthusiasts on these shores that there are alot more Vijai derivatives (i.e. Pushpaks, Falcons, etc) here than is immediately apparent - their true identity has been concealed beneath the body panels of the classic Lambretta DL/GP/Vijai Mark 1!

There are some Lamby Polos here - this was the only model that API officially imported to the UK and then only a small amount - 28 I think in total. They were not a success due to their appearance. Strangely enough, if API had actively pursued the export market, I believe they would have done better with the Lamby on the UK market as Series 2 Lambrettas have always been popular here.

I count myself extremely lucky to have my Kelvinator Avanti - this was exported along with one other by a UK dealer specially just because it appealed to him. I doubt very much if there are more than a handful in the UK (but would love to be proved wrong!).

I'm pleased to have inspired you into action regards your own Lambretta - please keep us all posted on progress

Regards
Ed
Old 14th January 2011, 19:26   #60
BHPian

Quote:
More photos

Regards
Ed
Ed,

Maybe this is because of the different front mudguard arrangements the Indians adopted. Probably easier to omit the rubber than supply one of each?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks