Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2011, 16:35   #61
BHPian

Re: Lamby restoration in the UK

More bits gathered together - all of Indian origin I'm pleased to say

Inner tubes, gear & throttle wheels and rectifier & CDI units for the electronic ignition.

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Lamby restoration in the UK-00133.jpg  

Old 15th January 2011, 21:14   #62
BHPian

Well friends I have reached a significant milestone with the project. I spent all of yesterday finalising all of the dry-build tasks on the scooter.

At last the frame and other remaining parts are ready for welding and spraying. I today took the parts photographed below over to my paint sprayer this morning. His son (who is a welder) has one or two small welding tasks to complete on the frame and then the parts will be fine bead blasted, filled and primed and sprayed up (I hope, within a few weeks).

I have set up a space in a spare room of my house complete with an old table to act as a work bench so that the rebuild can be done in the warm and dry!

With this scooter out of the garage I can now start to think about re-building my Kelvinator - I'll start a new thread for this other project soon

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Lamby restoration in the UK-004212.jpg  

Old 18th January 2011, 17:21   #63
Senior - BHPian

Good going there. I am impressed by your meticulous restoration and your parts collection. It is tougher to find lamby parts in India as the agents have bought parts in bulk from wherever it is available and hoard them to ship to places like UK(Lucky you ).

Imagine the irony if an Indian restorer has to buy parts from abroad, parts which have originated from India in the first place !

On an average, how much time do you spend on an average day on your scooter?
Old 19th January 2011, 00:16   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Good going there. I am impressed by your meticulous restoration and your parts collection. It is tougher to find lamby parts in India as the agents have bought parts in bulk from wherever it is available and hoard them to ship to places like UK(Lucky you ).

Imagine the irony if an Indian restorer has to buy parts from abroad, parts which have originated from India in the first place !

On an average, how much time do you spend on an average day on your scooter?
Hi Kuttapan

Thank you for your positive words. I am now lucky enough to have just about everything I need for the job in hand except for some of the engine internals and I'm really looking forward to getting my Lamby frame and body parts back so that I can start the rebuild.

I've plenty to do in the meantime however - for a start I've now stripped the engine and I'm busy checking and cleaning the internals. I've also been busy getting some more decals made for the scooter - one in particular is very special and will remain a surprise for now

I fully sympathise with the plight of my fellow Lambretta restorers in India regarding the parts situation - it is a ridiculous state of affairs I greatly admire the fact that you guys still manage to overcome this and many other obstacles in order to live your passion.

I don't work on my scooter everyday - I lead a very busy life and as such, might sometimes go weeks without touching a project. Being able to build this latest project in the house will however be a bonus as I'll be able to do a little on it most days.

Regards
Ed
Old 19th January 2011, 02:06   #65
BHPian

Another photo - the front mudguard embellisher. This is a New Old Stock item - made to fit a Lamby but I'm unsure if it was made by API or another manufacturer - perhaps someone reading this can confirm?

The embellisher is chrome plated at present but it is going to be stripped back and painted the same gloss black as the mudguard it will go on. Unfortunately, as I live by the sea, chrome does not last long before it starts to rust and I want to make this scooter as robust and long-lasting in terms of it's appearance as possible, hence my reason for painting it.

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Lamby restoration in the UK-0071.jpg  

Old 19th January 2011, 10:12   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsuede View Post
Another photo - the front mudguard embellisher. This is a New Old Stock item - made to fit a Lamby but I'm unsure if it was made by API or another manufacturer - perhaps someone reading this can confirm.

Regards
Ed
Hi Ed it is most likely a non API item, available plentifully in the local market. Infact on my last visit to the local Scootershop here in Mumbai, I came across lot of these similar items.
Old 19th January 2011, 13:48   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Hi Ed it is most likely a non API item, available plentifully in the local market. Infact on my last visit to the local Scootershop here in Mumbai, I came across lot of these similar items.
Thanks for your reply to my question Amol.

I suspected that it was probably an after-market item as I've never seen any reference to items like this in any API literature. Do you know if API actually made any accessories beyond what was fitted to their machines at the point of sale?

It is really encouraging that you can still get these in Mumbai when so many other parts for these machines seem unavailable on the home market. If it were at all possible I'd love to see a photo of an Indian scooter shop

Regards
Ed
Old 23rd January 2011, 00:12   #68
BHPian

Hi all

I bought these brass badges from an Indian based Enfield parts dealer. I have had them sprayed up the same yellow as some of the body panels. I am thinking about putting them onto the front embellisher - I will make up my mind about this for sure nearer the end of the rebuild when I can better see what they will look like.

I know that the big badge is an Indian army emblem and I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that the smaller badges show one of the Hindu gods? I know someone will put me right on this

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Lamby restoration in the UK-0172.jpg  

Old 19th February 2011, 15:22   #69
BHPian

Hi all

My apologies for the lack of an update to this thread for a few weeks now - I'm still waiting on the paint sprayer to do his work. Still, I've received an email from him today stating that the welding jobs have all been done now and that the last item to be primed - the frame - will be done this weekend. Hopefully things will move a bit quicker from now on

I have managed to buy a Lamby passenger footrest (for side saddle) via ebay this week - it will hopefully arrive next week.

Regards
Ed
Old 19th February 2011, 17:13   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have managed to buy a Lamby passenger footrest (for side saddle) via ebay this week - it will hopefully arrive next week.
Ed, AFAIK Lambys/Lambrettas never had a separate footrest, even in India.
They didn't need one apparently, as the side floorboards extended almost until the centre of the rear wheel, unlike Vespas.
Do you mind sharing a pic. of this footrest you mention?

Oh, and forgive my curiosity, but do you expect to have a side-saddle sitting passenger there? I thought it's illegal in the UK now?
Old 19th February 2011, 20:28   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Ed, AFAIK Lambys/Lambrettas never had a separate footrest, even in India.
They didn't need one apparently, as the side floorboards extended almost until the centre of the rear wheel, unlike Vespas.
Do you mind sharing a pic. of this footrest you mention?

Oh, and forgive my curiosity, but do you expect to have a side-saddle sitting passenger there? I thought it's illegal in the UK now?
Hi Stanher

I will post a photo when I receive the footrest (late next week hopefully). I may have confused you with my description - the footrest I've bought is just like those fitted to Vijays - it bolts to the frame below the number plate then has two metal bars that sweep around the panels and fixes by the bridge piece. I have a brochure for the last model of Vijay that shows them fitted as standard to that model of scooter - they describe them as a "ladies footrest fitted on crash fender." I'm aware that these were not standard fitment to Lambys but I've always understood that they were available for Lambys as an aftermarket fitment.

Your curiosity is welcome Stanher I want to fit the footrest in order to add more 'Indian' charactor to the scooter - you are quite correct, a passenger riding side saddle in the UK is illegal. The item is really just an adornment - I have no need to carry a passenger in any case as my wife rides her own scooters.

Of course, it goes without saying that I won't be at all tempted to try riding the scooter with my wife on the back in a side-saddle style on a quiet road where there are no police about

Regards
Ed
Old 19th February 2011, 23:38   #72
BHPian

Is this the footrest you referring to ?
Attached Thumbnails
Lamby restoration in the UK-vijay-super.jpg  

Old 19th February 2011, 23:42   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the footrest I've bought is just like those fitted to Vijays
Ok, that makes sense now! However, I dont recall seeing those fitted to Lambys either. It'd be interestingto see how they fit a Lamby as they were made to suit the rear/side design of the Vijai/GP, which was different from the former.

Quote:
I have no need to carry a passenger in any case as my wife rides her own scooters.
And even otherwise, she presumably wouldnt wear Indian attires like Sarees anyway!
Speaking of which, I've always been under the impression that a Lambretta would provide better balancing, with it's centrally mounted engine, for passengers who sat side-saddle. I'm yet to know by experience though!
Old 20th February 2011, 00:22   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Ok, that makes sense now! However, I dont recall seeing those fitted to Lambys either. It'd be interestingto see how they fit a Lamby as they were made to suit the rear/side design of the Vijai/GP, which was different from the former.

And even otherwise, she presumably wouldnt wear Indian attires like Sarees anyway!
Speaking of which, I've always been under the impression that a Lambretta would provide better balancing, with it's centrally mounted engine, for passengers who sat side-saddle. I'm yet to know by experience though!
Don't worry my friend you will have that experience also soon but be careful the pillion rider should also be equally intrested in your ride as you and should compliment balancing aswell else she will be walking ahead upset and you strolling the scooter behind her. Ha ha ha!! just kidding my friend

I am left with a question/doubt Edsuede would it not be difficult to mount the foot rest on to the Lamby when you have a rubber beeding running till the end of the foot board, either you need to give it a cut or completely remove it to accomodate the foot rest. Yes it will be a different story if the rubber beeding in not coming in the way where you bolt the foot rest.
Old 20th February 2011, 01:38   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Is this the footrest you referring to ?
Yes, thank you for posting this picture Girishpv - that is the type of footrest I'm referring to.

The one I've bought looks longer on the side bars BUT I may have misjudged this from the photo I've seen of it.

Regards
Ed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks