Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2009, 16:16   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Obscure Vintage & Classic Scooters in India

Note from Moderator: Thread merged with more recent thread by the mole. This thread is for non-Lambretta, non-Vespa rare scooters in India. Happy posting!

Found this image online sometime back. Can anyone identify the black scoot?

Obscure Vintage & Classic Scooters in India-ld10.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 22nd January 2014 at 10:17. Reason: Adding note.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2009, 16:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Attachment 179107
The black scoot is a Maicoletta 250. It was made by German manufacturer Maico, the ones now famous for their dirt bikes. The scooter was known to be stable due to its large wheels, and pretty fast thanks to a powerful engine. The manufacturer didnt cut corners in the quality of materials, and the scoot is known to have build levels as good as a Merc or BMW in cars.

A month back, one of my colleagues (in high end personal banking) in another city was telling me about a client who had such a scooter. Thats how I came across the name for the first time.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2009, 00:10   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Attachment 179107
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
The black scoot is a Maicoletta 250. It was made by German manufacturer Maico,
A month back, one of my colleagues (in high end personal banking) in another city was telling me about a client who had such a scooter. Thats how I came across the name for the first time.
I remember Rashid Mody telling me he knew of a roadworthy Maicoletta in B'bay. This black one might have been the one.

There was another one in maroon with a dealer in Madras. It was totally rundown, a pure rust-bucket with a number of parts missing, and was for sale at a steep price. A friend tried to negotiate on it, by which time it was bought by a guy in bangalore and is getting restored now.
Old 24th August 2009, 08:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
There was another one in maroon with a dealer in Madras. It was totally rundown, a pure rust-bucket with a number of parts missing, and was for sale at a steep price.
How steep exactly? Any ideas would help if I come accross a obscure scooter that I may want to keep.
Old 24th August 2009, 09:20   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
How steep exactly? Any ideas would help if I come accross a obscure scooter that I may want to keep.
Madras guy had quoted 65k IIRC. 'don't know how much exactly he finally sold it for.
Old 24th August 2009, 10:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I remember Rashid Mody telling me he knew of a roadworthy Maicoletta in B'bay. This black one might have been the one.

There was another one in maroon with a dealer in Madras. It was totally rundown, a pure rust-bucket with a number of parts missing, and was for sale at a steep price. A friend tried to negotiate on it, by which time it was bought by a guy in bangalore and is getting restored now.
The one I heard about was in Delhi. Maintained by a guy with a passion for 2 wheelers. But not for sale at any price.
Old 24th August 2009, 21:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Madras guy had quoted 65k IIRC. 'don't know how much exactly he finally sold it for.
6 mths ago because of my stupidity I let go off a 57 NSU scooter asking price 50K fully restored in the hindsight I regret my decision.
Old 19th March 2011, 14:58   #8
Team-BHP Support

Maicoletta - scooter

Does anyone have information on Maicoletta's in India? This is my first sighting of one.

Maicoletta.

How many survive? A quick google search reveals BMC 860 a Black Maicoletta (pictured above). This Red one is co-incidentally BMC 861

Obscure Vintage & Classic Scooters in India-maicoletta-48.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th March 2011 at 15:39. Reason: Merged em.
Old 19th March 2011, 15:42   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Obscure Vintage & Classic Scooters in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Does anyone have information on Maicoletta's in India? This is my first sighting of one.

Maicoletta.

How many survive? A quick google search reveals BMC 860 a Black Maicoletta. This Red one is co-incidentally BMC 861
There was (and maybe still is?) this one in the south; it was in Madras and was even offered to me first, a few years ago. But because of the price and the condition, added to the fact that all spares for this would be purely imported, I refused it.
It then went to someone in Bangalore and I came to know through another tbhpian that it was undergoing a rebuild. I dont know whether it is done up now or still the same.

Obscure Vintage & Classic Scooters in India-im000500.jpg

Obscure Vintage & Classic Scooters in India-maico1.jpg

Obscure Vintage & Classic Scooters in India-maico2.jpg
Old 19th March 2011, 20:29   #10
BHPian

A fellow Team-BHPian owns two of them here in Bangalore. Both have been dismantled and need a restoration. One could probably be the donor.
Old 21st March 2011, 11:50   #11
BHPian

I remember a mechanic by the name of Kapadia in Khar - Mumbai owned one in the same colour. May be same scooter it was which Kiran has posted. But, I do not remember the regn number now. This was in the 80's that I am talking about.
Old 21st March 2011, 17:51   #12
BHPian

Recently came to know one of our family friend have a silver pigeon made by mitsubishi which was bought for UNICEF doctors in rajasthan.
This looks similar to the one posted here. check out the pics.
Does anyone know about this in HYD.
Attached Thumbnails
Obscure Vintage & Classic Scooters in India-front-pose.jpg  

Obscure Vintage & Classic Scooters in India-silver-pigeon.jpg  

Last edited by ferrariKSA : 21st March 2011 at 17:52.
ferrariKSA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2011, 18:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrariKSA View Post
Recently came to know one of our family friend have a silver pigeon made by mitsubishi which was bought for UNICEF doctors in rajasthan.
This looks similar to the one posted here. check out the pics.
Does anyone know about this in HYD.
THE MICOLETTA'S ARE VERY MUCH IN BANGALORE WITH ME AND I AM TRYING TO RESTORE THEM BUT IT IS A BIG TASK. THERE ARE TWO MORE THAT I KNOW OF IN DELHI.

Note from Team BHP Support.
Please avoid typing the entire message in Capital Letters. Its the online equivalent of shouting.

Thanks,
Support team

Last edited by bblost : 22nd March 2011 at 21:16. Reason: See post.
yardshark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2011, 20:13   #14
BHPian

There is a Maico (BMC 860) pictured in the link in Saharanpur with a sikh family.
Apparently they have a big collection of various vehicles.
I also guess the gentleman is on the forum.

Cheers
Piyush.
Old 22nd March 2011, 20:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
I remember a mechanic by the name of Kapadia in Khar - Mumbai owned one in the same colour. May be same scooter it was which Kiran has posted. But, I do not remember the regn number now. This was in the 80's that I am talking about.
Yes dear even I remember this FAT and short guy with gold framed dark glasses and he himself dark complexion wearnig generally red tee shirt with stripes.

He used to drive from Andheri side towards worli and was always driving very carefully and slow.around 8 am in the morning.

Now one more owner of Maicoletta he was Desai by name and stayed in Worli blds opposite Glaxo .He had side car also with the scooter , it was white in colour.

This Desai was my class mate during my stint with Sah & Sanghi at worli workshop for Ambassador cars for three years. in the year 1973.

I was sent to this w/s from my college after I passed out my automobile course in the college.

Last I met him was about 15 yrs back and he was planning to go toUSA.

I stopped my automobile carrear after 1984 and did my Electrical Eng and joined my dads bussiness, but as you all know even today I cannot resist doing things on my all cars on sundays inspite of my wife and both grown up sons telling me Papa lets go to the garage .
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed