Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:33   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Looks just like a Vijay Super. I guess many companies had clones of its but which is the original?
The original was the Lambretta GP150 (am I right?) sold here as the Vijai Super. Also sold as the Vijai Delux. Also sold as the Allwyn Pushpak. Also sold as the Avanti Kelvinator. Also sold as the Aravalli. Also sold as the Falcon. Few minor changes here and there between the versions, but I think by and large they were the same machine.

I'm keenly following the thread edsuede, I'm a big fan of preservation, rustorations, rat lookers et al.
Old 4th April 2011, 08:32   #17
BHPian

OMG... Its like you guys have scratched my wounds. Still rememeber that I was in 3rd class and dad got this beauty ( pista colored Kelvinator Avanti )

But it was sold soon to some one as my dad drove it little. Now I regret and wish if I would have been in my teen, I would have never had him sold it.
Old 4th April 2011, 12:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
OMG... Its like you guys have scratched my wounds. Still rememeber that I was in 3rd class and dad got this beauty ( pista colored Kelvinator Avanti )

But it was sold soon to some one as my dad drove it little. Now I regret and wish if I would have been in my teen, I would have never had him sold it.
Hi nomadabhi

I'm very pleased that this is re-sparking memories for you. What colour is pista - do you mean pistachio as I'm aware these were made in a light green shade? Could you describe the colour in more detail?

Also, if you have any photos of the family Kelvinator from back then, please feel free to add them to this thread - I openly welcome anything Kelvinator based here

Thanks Karlosdeville for your interest - watch this space

Regards
Ed
Old 5th April 2011, 20:09   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsuede View Post
I openly welcome anything Kelvinator based here
Ed, since you mentioned it, thought you might like this- seems to be a period ad for the Kelv. most likely in some local magazine, from a friend's picasa web album:

Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-avanti.jpg
Old 5th April 2011, 21:54   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Ed, since you mentioned it, thought you might like this- seems to be a period ad for the Kelv. most likely in some local magazine, from a friend's picasa web album:

Attachment 527521
Thank You Stanher - that is brilliant

This would appear to be the cream colour that mine was originally painted. If you come across any other Kelvinator ads etc please post them here

Regards
Ed
Old 6th April 2011, 13:11   #21
BHPian

Hi all

Here's another Kelvinator advert (copyright respective owners) that has come my way from a friend

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-avanthi1.jpg  

Last edited by edsuede : 6th April 2011 at 13:13. Reason: omission
Old 7th April 2011, 01:19   #22
BHPian

Well, the hottest day in the UK so far this year. The suns been shining, the skies have been blue and I've been at work all day long!

However, I did take advantage of the nice weather to do a bit more on the Kelvinator after work! It doesn't look like alot of work from the photos I but spent a good couple of hours doing the following;

I De-greased, cleaned then t-cutted the tool box. I fitted it to the frame (using 2 original fixings) and a new rubber sealing gasket.

I De-greased and cleaned the fuel tank. This took a lot of de-greaser and elbow grease as it had a thick crust of old 2 stroke oil/petrol all over the top and down one side between 5-10mm thick. Lots of rust came out of the tank though which is worrying - I will inspect the internal condition later in the week.

I Stabilised the rust/bare metal on the rear frame section where it was re-welded in India. Used a clear rust stabiliser (Jenolite).

Last night I undersealed all of the underneath of the frame loop to give the scooter some added corrosion protection.

Parts used so far:

1x tool box (original Kelvinator part)
1x tool box gasket (Uni brand)
2x original Kelvinator too box fixings
1x used Vijai tool box fixing (the scooter was missing one of the 3 fixings)

The weather forecast is good for the next 4-5 days so I'm hoping to achieve alot more soon

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-00253.jpg  

Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-00342.jpg  

Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-00442.jpg  

Old 9th April 2011, 16:57   #23
BHPian

Hi all
Managed to get an hour in the garage Thursday night after work and did the following small jobs;

New back light unit and mudguard and a Vijai spare wheel carrier fitted.

As previously mentioned, the original rear mudguard was badly melted so needed replacing.

The unique Kelvinator spare wheel holder has been pushed to the back of the garage and will not be used as it is badly damaged. At some point it has snapped in several places including all the way down the flat area. This has been very badly welded up in India and this has then clearly snapped again all down the repair weld. I've no doubt that a skilled welder with plenty of time and patience could repair this to it's former glory but at the moment I can't justify the expense this would entail so I've sourced a second hand Vijai item (very cheap via ebay) that is a similar sort of colour This now sits on the patch of bare metal (with hard plastic spacers) that I treated earlier in the week with rust inhibitor.

Parts used;

1x New rear lamp (Indus Industries brand)
1x New SIL rear mudguard
1x Used Vijai spare wheel holder

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-00161.jpg  

Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-00261.jpg  

Old 9th April 2011, 19:37   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The unique Kelvinator spare wheel holder has been pushed to the back of the garage and will not be used as it is badly damaged. At some point it has snapped in several places including all the way down the flat area. This has been very badly welded up in India and this has then clearly snapped again all down the repair weld. I've no doubt that a skilled welder with plenty of time and patience could repair this to it's former glory but at the moment I can't justify the expense this would entail so I've sourced a second hand Vijai item (very cheap via ebay) that is a similar sort of colour This now sits on the patch of bare metal (with hard plastic spacers) that I treated earlier in the week with rust inhibitor.
Nice to see the latest additions! I understand why you've decided to use the Vijai spare holder, but do try to get hold of an early 2-piece one that can be converted into a horizontal spare holder as well (see pic.)
The one you've procured is a later one that is much heavier and can only hold the spare vertically. So with its weight and position of the spare wheel, it interferes with the streamlined design of these scooters and gives too much air resistance. I found this problem when I had my Vijai Super mark2...couldnt find any other type of spare holder back then so it went off the scooter, which improved the handling to a large extent!

Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-vijaifrm.jpg
Old 10th April 2011, 00:55   #25
BHPian

Hi again

I've had a great afternoon working on the Kelvinator - hopefully the progress can be seen in the photos

The original petrol tank has had to be replaced - when I inspected it further I found it to VERY badly rusted internally - I got quite large lumps of rust out of it when flushing it out. I've now fitted a second hand but very sound Vijai tank - this has been fully flushed out and is free of debris. Still I managed to re-use the original tank straps, bolts and trunnions after cleaning them up.

The original Kelvinator sidepanel clips and plate have been re-fitted after being hand painted in Hammerite paint (these were very rusty!). While working on the rear of the scooter I added a number plate holder plate and a used after-market mudflap taken from an imported Vijai.

I've re-fitted the rear seat that came with the Kelvinator - this had to be cleaned up - it too had overspray on it! The seat cover has one or two small tears but it will serve as I rarely take passengers so it is mostly a cosmetic item.

The original Kelvinator air box is now in - I did not receive an airscoop with the scooter so I've used a second hand (plastic) Lamby 150 item.

A few electrical components are on the frame - a 12v A/C regulator box ready for the electronic ignition, a back brake light switch and a 12v A/C horn.

Parts used;

1x Second Hand Vijai fuel tank
2x Pairs of original Kelvinator tank straps, bolts and trunnions
1x Set new API petrol tank rubbers
1x New SIL petrol tank drip tray and gasket
1x Set original Kelvinator sidepanel clips and plate
1x New Vijai numberplate holder plate
1x Used Indian 'Star' mudflap
1x Rear square type seat (as fitted to the scooter when received by me) - Nova brand.
1x Kelvinator air box
1x Second hand plastic API Lamby 150 airscoop
1x New SIL airscoop gasket
1x New Steelbird brand electronic ignition regulator box
1x New SIL rear brake light switch
1x New 12v A/C horn (PE brand)

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-00171.jpg  

Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-00273.jpg  

Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-00353.jpg  

Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-00452.jpg  

Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-00533.jpg  

Old 10th April 2011, 01:46   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
do try to get hold of an early 2-piece one that can be converted into a horizontal spare holder as well (see pic.)
The one you've procured is a later one that is much heavier and can only hold the spare vertically. So with its weight and position of the spare wheel, it interferes with the streamlined design of these scooters and gives too much air resistance.

Attachment 528898
Hi Stanher

Thanks for your interest and advice - to be honest I'm quite happy with the upright carrier as it mimics the original that came with these scooters. The Kelvinator engine will be re-built to standard spec and the scooter will only be used for local rides so performance is not a big issue here

Regards
Ed
Old 11th April 2011, 03:18   #27
BHPian

The weather forecast was accurate for a change! We actually had sunshine. I had intended to spend all day working on the Kelvinator but as the weather was so nice, me and my wife went out on scooters with a group of fellow scooterists instead for a sunday ride out. When I came home I managed to put in some time though, the results can be seen below.

I've routed the control cables and the electronic wiring loom - held in place with tape until I get them connected up. A new rear light stop light switch has been fitted and wired up.

A new bottom steering cone and dust cover has been put in - plenty of grease in the down tube and then several hits with a big hammer and a block of wood did the trick nicely

The original choke handle has been refitted (it is stamped API - so I presume it has been replaced at some point).

Finally, the legshields have been put loosely in place - on a normal Lambretta rebuild I would not add the legshields at this stage, but remember that these legshields slide over the frame down tube so have to be secured in place before the lower headset and spacer ring can be fitted. Once I'm happy that everything is in the right place with the cables etc I'll get the legshields fitted fully.

Parts used;

1x Choke lever that came with the scooter (stamped API)
1x New full control cable set (outers nylon lined for smooth operation) - Indian manufactured but make not specified.
1x New bottom steering cone (Swedish Industries brand) and dust cap (SIL)
1x New SIL cable sleeve
1x New SIL back brake cable rubber gaiter and metal thimble
1x New stop light switch (Mega Inc brand)
1x stop light switch gaitor (SIL)
1x New AF Rayspeed electronic wiring loom
1x Kelvinator legshields (as originally fitted to scooter)

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-00284.jpg  

Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-00183.jpg  

Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-00367.jpg  

Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-00463.jpg  

Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-00546.jpg  

Old 13th April 2011, 22:33   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Hi Ed,

AFAIK the floor runners/channels were of the same kind as in Allwyn Pushpak.
Hi Bala

The runners may look like Vijai/Allwyn ones but certainly, the alloy channels are not Vijai/Allwyn or Lamby in terms of their length.

The kelvinator uses much longer alloy channels as I've discovered now that I've had chance to examine things further. I've bought some Vespa alloy channels which are too long but can be cut down to fit.

Regards
Ed
Old 17th April 2011, 00:18   #29
BHPian

Hi all, a few more hours put in on the project - just a few little bits here and there

Now I've cleaned up the headset it's unique shape can be seen from the photos.

Parts used;

1x new tool box lock (Vijai type) LLD Brand
1x pair new side panel/frame beadings (Uni brand)
2x new wires for the horn
1x new triangular throttle cable rubber for frame (unknown make)
1x new cable deflector plate (SIL) for choke lever assembly
1x original Kelvinator petrol tap/rod
1x new petrol tap/rod frame grommet (unknown make)
1x 12v a/c CDI unit (unknown make)
1x locking petrol filler lid (original, as found on scooter - not sure if original Kelvinator)
1x original Kelvinator petrol tank cap
1x new petrol tank cap rubber (unknown make)

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-0244.jpg  

Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-0233.jpg  

Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-02813.jpg  

Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-0262.jpg  

Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-0271.jpg  

Old 17th April 2011, 10:32   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all, a few more hours put in on the project - just a few little bits here and there

Now I've cleaned up the headset it's unique shape can be seen from the photos.
Good going, ed.

BTW, one question about the headset- is it possible to fabricate one in aluminium just like the original one, using the latter as a sample?

I'm aware that many lambretta body parts and panels are fabricated and available as new. So considering this headset is of a unique shape, it could be useful as a spare?

Also is it possible to get a pic. of that plate fitted on your toolbox door? Is it a dealer's plate of some sort?

Last edited by Stanher : 17th April 2011 at 10:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks