Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2011, 22:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 3-Wheel Car - my BADAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
What ever may be,..at mid '70s , you would have been aware ..what was the Industries promotion policy from our both State & Central Governments, that to for a small players like SAIL
It is Really sad...that they couldn't hold the market, for long time, because of "in direct back door" punching by other Car manufacturers, with help of Government & Financial institutions (Banks)....b'coz this was the practice on those days.....even this was the reason for closure of the mighty " STANDARD MOTORS".......@ SM, it was always Tamil Nadu politicians, played the vital role in shutting the doors !!

It is really sad, we are now searching internet to see a BADAL.......
Why to search??.......here is my Badal( 1978)

The 200cc Innocenti Engine ( air cooled) at the rear.>>

Starter Motor cum DYNAMO ( some thing like Siba -Dyna thing but not exactly)Now at my garage......
Was there any 175cc Villiers engine, that did duty on the Enfield Crusader, on the Badal. I remember that way, perhaps I am totally wrong. I have travelled once in a Badal taxi at North Parur in Kerala where there were many such taxis then. I remember its straight shifting gear lever. Upon launcfh the little Badal was costing around Rs 15000.

Last edited by rajeev k : 9th October 2011 at 22:19.
Old 9th October 2011, 22:14   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Was there any 175cc Villiers engine, that did duty on the Enfield Crusader, on the Badal. I remember that way, perhaps I am totally wrong. I have travelled once in a Badal taxi at North Parur in Kerala where there were many such taxis. I remember its straight shifting gear lever. Upon launcfh the little Badal was costing around Rs 15000.
From the day one, since the BADAL was launched,..it had the 200cc Innocenti Engine, 2 stroke, air-cooled ( it is almost similar to 3 wheeler LAMBRO or API 175 Tuk Tuk)--plz go down to seen the pics of the power train, which I have posted in this thread.
The straight shifting gear lever, has a two way link as in Lambro, but in a angle & poition to enable gear shift.
for sure, there is no way Villiers Engine here in Badal.
Even the differential seems to resemble the Lambro, may be with different gear ratio ( will post about this while opening the differential of this Badal....which is must in my Badal)
powertwin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 22:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
plz go down to seen the pics of the power train, which I have posted in this thread.
Yes I saw that. The Lambretta trade mark design fan cover.

Last edited by rajeev k : 9th October 2011 at 22:23.
Old 16th August 2019, 14:29   #19

Re: The SAIL Badal

Hello Friends,

Reaching out to the forum for help on a vexing issue.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out where the "chassis number" is stamped on the Badal vehicle. I have searched in the engine compartment in the back and in between the front seats as per instructions from various mechanics and agents. Chassis number imprint is required for the paper work.

Before painting I had told the painter many many times to search for the imprint but and he never bothered. Now I am scraping paint from where chassis pieces to uncover the elusive chassis number. Lack of any documentation online on even where was it stamped from factory is also hampering my search and I am at my wits end.

If any esteemed member knows the location, request you to please post it here for posterity. Thanks in advance for your help.

Please do reach out if anybody needs any info/photos/spares parts locations/Spares Shops etc on Badal.
Old 1st January 2021, 18:49   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Some facts compiled by me from various sources:-
Badal, the three-wheeled, micro-car prodigy was introduced by M/s Sunrise Automotive Industries Limited (SAIL), Bangalore, in 1975. Production commenced in 1976 and the three wheeled car was priced at around Rs 15,000/- then. Badal was among the earliest examples seen from an indigenous automobile manufacturer to put in efforts, with the limited resources available and the then several restrictions of the Licence Raj for them, to manufacture and sell products with the then extant pricing controls, dictated by the government. Production wise during 1977 a total of 179 units were manufactured, while it was 331 in 1978 – a peak, 104 in 1979, 51 in 1980 and a measly 31 in 1981. A replacement was conceptualised in 1981, badged as the Badal – 4, with four wheels, having a rectangular body shell with a front mounted engine. It remained only a concept at the end of the day and was not marketed by the company. The Sipani Dolphin was ushered in very soon.

The power train of the Badal was the trusted Italian origin Lambretta three wheeler engine that was rear-mounted, air-cooled, two stroke, 198 cc with a 10 PS (7.4 Kw) power output, with a constant mesh, four speed gearbox.

Nearly during the end of its model life, Badal was immortalized in the Bollywood hit film “Ram Balram” (1980) by it’s depiction in the hit song “ Ek rasta do rahi” lip synced by Amitabh Bachchan and Dharmendra and all through its duration, showing the micro three wheeler as a no nonsense vehicle to take on the rough and smooth surfaces.
Some images:-

At the Heritage Museum, Gurgaon (Jalopnik photo)

Name:  Badal Heritage Museum Jalopnik photo  khthklkr1l8aazpsvmop.png
Views: 934
Size:  700.6 KB

Images from websites

The SAIL Badal-badal-u1mvh1ngwquc94h2nabu.png

The SAIL Badal-badal-ymsyg2k88sh8le2cesmx.png

The Ram Balram (1980) Badal

The SAIL Badal-ram-balram-28.11.1980-release-1_iwyjzfnovvg5pmzjidnbaw.jpeg

The SAIL Badal-ram-balram-ek-rasta-do-rahi-fiffxpn1l92wnryevfa4.png

The SAIL Badal-badal-rambalram_automobile.jpg

The SAIL Badal-ram-balram-song-3uhdt4b_jwu480x360.jpg

The Lambretta air cooled, two stroke engine

The SAIL Badal-badal-lambretta-3-wheeler-engine-143379.jpg

The SAIL Badal-badal-lambretta-3-wheeler-engine-143378.jpg

The Badal song from Ram Balram (1980)- five and a half minutes of the Badal cruising across roads and no roads in Goa !

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 1st January 2021 at 18:58.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 13:04   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

An advertisement for the Badal proudly announcing fuel economy of 25 km/l

The SAIL Badal-badal.png
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 15:05   #22
BHPian

These badals were the 80's taxi cabs in Bangalore! More like an upgrade over the autorikshaws? They were black colored with a white stripe around them (instead of yellow like how we have it now on the autos). I vaguely remember travelling in one (when there was some riot & we were struck on the road) when I was very young.

We could find some parked(siezed?) opposite to the high grounds police station / sophia school even in the early 90's.

Last edited by null : 24th June 2021 at 15:07.
null is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 16:11   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

A two part article by Mr Gautam Sen on the Badal three wheeler in de Rivaz & Ives, an online vintage automobile magazine. It traces the history and times of Badal.

Part I

https://magazine.derivaz-ives.com/sa...fforts-part-1/

Part II

https://magazine.derivaz-ives.com/sa...fforts-part-2/
anjan_c2007 is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks