Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2011, 11:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

The SAIL Badal

Sipani Badal lying at Coimbatore.
Attached Thumbnails
The SAIL Badal-10042011434.jpg  

Last edited by Stratos : 19th April 2011 at 12:51.
beejay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2011, 11:29   #2
BANNED

Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Sipani Badal lying at Coimbatore.
Sipani Badal is a classic/vintage
Old 11th April 2011, 12:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Sipani Badal is a classic/vintage
I really dont know. Maybe the folks here can comment.
Old 11th April 2011, 15:12   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

@Spitfire, well - it wont qualify as either a vintage or a classic. But definitely an extinct species and one that will be one-of-a-kind. Wish some one does save this for posteriety.
Old 12th April 2011, 10:47   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Spitfire, well - it wont qualify as either a vintage or a classic.
Then it shouldn't be on this thread. These days we have every vehicle that has been phased out or has been a lemon being called a vintage and classic. Somewhere we need to draw a line.

Not a long time back we were having 118 NE's, first gen Maruti 800's listed here. In the bikes we were calling RX 100s and Diesel Bullets as Vintage and Classics. Since this forum has a global audience we need to be careful what we bracket where.

Quote:
But definitely an extinct species and one that will be one-of-a-kind.
That vehicle was a lemon. A horribly designed unreliable piece of machinery manufactured in a company ran by a group that didn't believe in honesty.

Quote:
Wish some one does save this for posteriety.
You are not serious.. Are you??
Old 12th April 2011, 11:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Then it shouldn't be on this thread. These days we have every vehicle that has been phased out or has been a lemon being called a vintage and classic. Somewhere we need to draw a line.

Not a long time back we were having 118 NE's, first gen Maruti 800's listed here. In the bikes we were calling RX 100s and Diesel Bullets as Vintage and Classics.
?
I think you are right. These days every other car or bike that's old, irrespective of how bad it was ends up asking a premium.

However whats confusing is that, a member sent me a PM asking the whereabouts of this car. The member has the full Dolphin family and wants to add this to his collection.

I brought the PM out here to clarify, I guess to each his own.

And in reply to the PM, the owner literally bites, I guess he's a collector. Said its not for sale.
Old 12th April 2011, 12:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Any car does not need to be a vintage or classic car to be collectible to some individuals. There were folks who collected old Mercedes Benz cars when they were not collectible, now some Mercs have become so called modern classics. I like to see a 123 in good condition, but say a 200 four door version is not really a collectors car. The coupe on the other hand is gaining status.
The Badal is certainly not a vintage or classic, but when someone collects Sipani cars, then he does need a Badal. And that Rover Montego. Having said that, Sipani brought early alternatives to the existing dull fare of cars available in India, the Rover was really not bad, had some maintainance issues.
A friend wanted a Badal for his collection, we found one after 3 years and I know of only four still around, this one, Bangalore, Hyderabad and the one we found. Any more?

Cheers harit
Old 12th April 2011, 12:05   #8
BANNED

Quote:
However whats confusing is that, a member sent me a PM asking the whereabouts of this car. The member has the full Dolphin family and wants to add this to his collection.
I didn't mean its not a collectible. My only grouse was it shouldn't be on the vintage and classic cars thread.

Quote:
Sorry if it came out otherwise, but this was not pointed at you. I did give out a couple of other references other then your post. It was to try and get some focus on this thread.

Quote:
And in reply to the PM, the owner literally bites, I guess he's a collector. Said its not for sale.
No worries again. He is a collector of Sipani cars. Can you open a separate thread on his collection? And get the pics there. It would be interesting to see such a collection. Not in the Vintage and Classic forums though

EDIT: Someone opened this thread. Right place for such pictures.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ding-them.html

Last edited by Spitfire : 12th April 2011 at 12:10.
Old 12th April 2011, 12:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely SF, I have requested mods to move the post to the thread that you have pointed out.

@ harit, this car appears to be kinda okay. He also has a few other cars including a Defender, Montego and few other cars . I just left from there as I did not want to show too much interest and increase the already high value that I expect him to ask.

Last edited by beejay : 12th April 2011 at 12:24. Reason: 2harit
Old 12th April 2011, 12:42   #10
BHPian

Let Me Clear the AIR here.. It was Me who asked beejay about the Details of the Sipani Badal.. Even when its not a Classic or Vintage, is definitely rare and a Piece of Indian Motoring History even if its a Lemon.. There is nothing to get shocked Mr Beejay.. Many People Here are NUTS and Like Collecting Cars N Bikes Like these..
I go through sleepless nights when i see such cars I want for my collection... and I am sure many people here go through the same many a times

The Badal was Made by the "Sipanis" not API. But it had a small Scooter Engine.
think made by API dont know for sure.

No Problem Beejay. Nothing to Offend me.. Everyone has his own views.
When i get a Junk Home some think what junk i have brought home (Including my Brother hehehe) For some its Total Junk for some its Priceless..!!

Do get more info about the Badal.. But since you mention he is a collector too.. I see the chances of him selling the car or at reasonable price are slim..

@Beejay - You are most Welcome to See my cars, just a small collection..

Thanks
Shreeram

Quote:
I think you are right. These days every other car or bike that's old, irrespective of how bad it was ends up asking a premium.

Last edited by Stratos : 19th April 2011 at 12:54.
Shreeram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2011, 12:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
I go through sleepless nights when i see such cars I want for my collection... and I am sure many people here go through the same many a times
I did not mean to offend you and I understand your passion. I was just pointing out your PM for reference. I would love to see your collection.

I will try to engage in a conversation with the owner and try to see if he is willing to part with the same. He seems to be a collector too.

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th April 2011 at 22:29. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 12th April 2011, 14:25   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

FYI - this Badal was advertised for sale online, I cannot quite recall exactly where. The owner is a member.
Old 3rd October 2011, 06:23   #13
BHPian

3-Wheel Car - my BADAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Mpower and venkatrx, you got it right about the Sunrise Badal.

The British manufacturer Reliant, helped Mr. SRK Sipani set up a company in Bangalore called Sunrise Automotive Industries Ltd. (SAIL) in 1974.

Based on Reliant’s 3 wheeled Robin, the fibre-glass bodied Badal, was produced from 1975 to 1980, the years I was in engineering college. I have traveled in Badal taxis in Pune, Bangalore and Mangalore. In 1978, the company changed its name to Sipani motors.

Here's a Reliant Robin. A cult car in the UK and Austria, there's even a Reliant Robin club in the US! As late as autumn 2002, a British plastics manufacturer called B & N Plastics, used to manufacture the Robin.

The Sunrise Badal had a rear mounted 198cc single cylinder 2-stroke engine of Italian manufacture with a 4 speed constant-mesh gearbox. Brakes were on the real wheels only. The four passenger body had 3 doors, two for the front seats and one for the rear, on the kerbside.

In 1981, Sipani replaced the Badal with the four-wheeled Dolphin, based on the Reliant Kitten.

What happened to Sipani later?
Like the Badal before it, the Dolphin also had a two-door light fibre-glass body and its 848 cc engine gave spirited performance on 10-inch “soup plate” British Leyland Mini-like wheels.

When the (old style) Maruti 800 arrived in 1983, Sipani made a 4-door version of the Dolphin called the Montana.

In 1985 SRK’s son Dinesh launched a sales & distribution co. called Dolphin Motors Ltd.

The company then replaced their Montana with the diesel-engined Sipani D1. This was based on the Daihatsu Charade. It used Maruti and Mahindra parts and a Mitsubishi diesel made in Coimbatore.

They even made a rural 8-12 seater MUV called Arjun, powered by a 500cc Greaves diesel. Then, in the late 1990s, Sipani built and sold the Rover Montego saloon and estate in India.

After this venture also failed, they changed their name again to Maestro Motors Ltd. Sadly, by summer 2000, they went bankrupt and shut down.

The company had the dubious distinction, that every model they produced over a 25-year period was a failure!

#Postscript
The Reliant Robin holds the distinction of being the world's first mass-produced vehicle with a fibreglass body in the 1950s, beating the Chevrolet Corvette that debuted in 1953.
Nice information Ram!!
but you told>>"The company had the dubious distinction, that every model they produced over a 25-year period was a failure!"
What ever may be,..at mid '70s , you would have been aware ..what was the Industries promotion policy from our both State & Central Governments, that to for a small players like SAIL
It is Really sad...that they couldn't hold the market, for long time, because of "in direct back door" punching by other Car manufacturers, with help of Government & Financial institutions (Banks)....b'coz this was the practice on those days.....even this was the reason for closure of the mighty " STANDARD MOTORS".......@ SM, it was always Tamil Nadu politicians, played the vital role in shutting the doors !!

If 'am not wrong, it was our present " Art of living' Maestro Ravi Shankar's close relative founded this company m/s Sunrise Automobiles Industries Ltd,...and brought this Three wheel car Badal, with a 200cc Innocenti Engine & 10" Lambro 's tuk- tuk tires
After some time i.e; some time early '80s, this SAIL was sold to Sipani group...hence " Sunrise" to " Sipani automobiles industries ltd, this Sipanai group went on to make Dolphin,.......& so on......
and the Engine whice was shared by MONTANA was m/s JAYA AUTOMOTIVES p ltd's/ Coimbatore. 1000cc diesel engine, even they had an idea to go for Autoland diesel engine...which was far superior & consistent , quality , but it didn't suit Sipani's pocket.
It is really sad, we are now searching internet to see a BADAL.......
Why to search??.......here is my Badal( 1978)

Badal's rear & the guy who was behind me in getting this Cutie!!

The 200cc Innocenti Engine ( air cooled) at the rear.>>

Starter Motor cum DYNAMO ( some thing like Siba -Dyna thing but not exactly)

Now at my garage......
The guy seen at driver's seat is our Pratap ( lockheed- Tbhp handle)
powertwin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 15:24   #14
BHPian

Re: 3-Wheel Car - my BADAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Why to search??.......here is my Badal( 1978)

WAOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just Superb. I am dying to lay hands on one of these for my Collection. Do let me know if you find any. Want to add it to my Sipani Collection.

Here is my 3 Wheeler - not a Taxi though.
Attachment 820389

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...-new-post.html
Attached Thumbnails
The SAIL Badal-img_20111003_041410.1.jpg  

Shreeram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 21:45   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
FYI - this Badal was advertised for sale online, I cannot quite recall exactly where. The owner is a member.
@ Moderators: I request you to rename the thread to " SAIL BADAL",& let it not be Sipani Badal
..it would mean a lot...it would be like honoring the people initiated this Reliant kitten concept @ mid '70s in India , that to with very little infrastructures & funds( not to forget the Industrial Policy of our country at that point of time)
though both " Sipani automobiles India limited" & Sunrise automotive India limited" ...sounds SAIL
When Sunrise sold to Sipani, there was no Badal in production....Sipani , went on to develop Sipani Dolphin , importing Reliant Engines from UK.
Think Karl as a moderator , can consider my request..even after a debate
Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks