Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2011, 02:49   #16
BHPian

Re: Jawa 1970 acquisition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350biker View Post
Dear All, my dad's friend has a 1970 Jawa 250 cc with him since his initial days. The bike is in a so so condition and is hardly used.

I have had my eyes on the bike since many years but have not had the opportunity to ask him to sell it to me.

I am now planning to ask him however, have no idea about the bike. Request you all to kindly help me out regarding what things i have to check out before taking the bike in my custody.

Also, considering that the bike is from 1970, what are the parts that could have had the age effect and approximately the cost of restoration of the bike?

Have tried searching our forum for "jawa" restoration threads but have not got any much leads.

I would be posting the pics soon and would be keeping all updated regarding the restoration. The bike (as last seen) was pretty much in a state and needs help.

Await your advice
I hope you bought the bike. I bought a '1972 Jawa a couple of weeks ago. it needs a lot of restoration (Including a block-piston change) and I will have to rebuild a lot of parts. My be we can help each other in the restoration. Pool out contacts and such. I have some contacts in Mysore and in some other small towns in Karnataka.
I will upload pictures of my bike in the near future. Just as soon as I finish my exams.
Old 13th June 2011, 11:25   #17
BHPian

Hey,

If you have contacts in mysore you will get everthing including the block + piston + Carb ( as u have posted in your other post); Location 100 Feet Road.

Happy Searching

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 13th June 2011, 12:17   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawabiker View Post
Hey,

If you have contacts in mysore you will get everthing including the block + piston + Carb ( as u have posted in your other post); Location 100 Feet Road.

Happy Searching

Regards,
Ranjit
Thanks Ranjit! I will look into it. Any idea how the prices are in Mysore? I am yet to call up the phone numbers I have acquired through a friend. From what I hear, prices in Bangalore are exorbitant and I cant afford to spend that much while I am on a students allowance. (and blessed with parents that don't see why their sweet little girl wants to spend hours at the mechanics working on a rickety old bike)
Old 13th June 2011, 13:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_u View Post
I hope you bought the bike. I bought a '1972 Jawa a couple of weeks ago. it needs a lot of restoration (Including a block-piston change) and I will have to rebuild a lot of parts. My be we can help each other in the restoration. Pool out contacts and such. I have some contacts in Mysore and in some other small towns in Karnataka.
I will upload pictures of my bike in the near future. Just as soon as I finish my exams.
Hi Sir_u !!

I am yet to pick up the bike. I had met ranjith last week and we have decided to first pick her up and then do a proper audit of what is needed.

Somehow I have been tied up in something or the other during last week and haven't really found time to get the bike in my stable.

By the way, Ranjith too has a beauty with him (a tank switch) and one more in restoration phase which he will throw light on.

I too will be posting the pics soon once I get the bike in my hands. Now that one more enthusiast has joined the gang, I am even more interested in getting the bike. As mentioned by you, we can always share contacts / leads for the restoration.

Awaiting the pictures of your baby
Old 13th June 2011, 13:22   #20
BHPian

Prices in Mysore are ok in some shops and are exorbit in some shops but as compaired to bangalore and hyderabad they are reasonable.

Agreed you are a student as we all were, but then you are restoring your bike procuring spares takes time and its a lenghty process but its fun..
And restoring a Jawa is sure fun

So Happy Searching again

Regards,
Ranjit

Hey Man,

Just pick her up now its been days your are sitting on it.

Take a day out from a busy schedule get a tempo load her in stack her in your garage that it dude.

And Lend me the stepney thingy that you were talking about i am more intrested in it, thanks why forcing you to pick up the bike.

Regards,
Ranjit

Last edited by karlosdeville : 13th June 2011 at 13:50. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 13th June 2011, 22:08   #21
BHPian

There you go! Pictures of my '72 Jawa. As a bonus you can also see a '96 Roadking and a 2002 Thunderbird
Old 13th June 2011, 23:29   #22
BHPian

There you go! There are more pictures that I will upload in a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Jawa 1970 acquisition-p1020036j.jpg  

Old 14th June 2011, 03:17   #23
BHPian

And here are the rest of the pictures I have.

Thanks Ranjit. I will for sure enjoy the restoration process. I am giving it a whole year to get through. All the pains taken will add and extra Bhp to the bike
Attached Thumbnails
Jawa 1970 acquisition-jawa1.jpg  

Jawa 1970 acquisition-jawa2.jpg  

Jawa 1970 acquisition-jawa4.jpg  

Jawa 1970 acquisition-jawa5.jpg  

Jawa 1970 acquisition-jawa6.jpg  

Old 14th June 2011, 11:00   #24
BHPian

Hey,

Initially congrats on your acquisition, looks of it you need to procure the below spares

1> Jawa handle
2> Round Chain Cover
3> All the cosmetic spares.
4> Engine Internals depending upon the wear and tear

The bike sure needs lots of work to be done, its Mysore registered, get the pacco P47Y or the Jikov carb SBD 2926 then you can fit the carb cover (that also needs to be procure).

Patience is the keyword here as all the procument will take time.

Happy Searching & Restoration

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 14th June 2011, 20:32   #25
BHPian

Congrats: I am guessing you are not going to be using this bike now. While you are procuring the parts, dismantle the bike, tinker it, give it a rust treatment, and put a primer on it before you lose some precious parts to rust.

Dont forget to save the saree guard, they are hard to get now.

Last edited by TuffRyder : 14th June 2011 at 20:33.
Old 16th June 2011, 18:27   #26
BHPian

Hey maybe i am wrong but is the rear wheel over sized? or is it too close to the mudguard? Maybe the previous owner could have changed the tyres.
Old 17th June 2011, 10:56   #27
BHPian

350 Biker it cant be as it looks the rear wheel rim size is 3.25 * 16 which is the official size of jawa wheels.

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 17th June 2011, 12:58   #28
BHPian

Thanks guys! I do have some parts already like the tail lamp (it currently has an RK tail lamp) and quite a strong possibility of getting a few engine parts from a scrap guy.
I will source the handlebar from somewhere but i want to have a crossbar handle for a while at least.
The carburettor it has currently is a spacko and I opened it just yesterday and it had the same jetting as the pacco (56mm main jet). The float also had 'by license from dellorto' written on it. I am not too smart in the head when it comes to carburettors so your inputs much needed here. What I am thinking is that in the rare event of me not being able to source a jikov, I will use the present carburettor. I will not be able to fit the cover but I will get the same performance. Right?
And the rear tyre is the standard one. It probably looks different because the mudguard is slightly bent. I plan on getting the tyres in the near future because prices are expected to go up. What do you sat?
Old 17th June 2011, 13:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_u View Post
The carburettor it has currently is a spacko and I opened it just yesterday and it had the same jetting as the pacco (56mm main jet). The float also had 'by license from dellorto' written on it.

What do you sat?
Its nice to hear that you're fiddling with carburetors on your own. They're simple instruments very easy to understand if you get the basics of it right and understand what each part does and how and how it works as a whole. Happy tinkering

Ps: Spaco not Spacko

Contact Pacco and see if they can sell you their P43 type carburetor, in the event of you not being able to source a Jikov you can use this. P43 is the right one i guess? It looks like the Jikov i put in the bin.

Yamaha carburetor, suzuki carburettor, kawasaki carburetor, honda carburettor
Old 17th June 2011, 14:07   #30
BHPian

Try your luck @ pacco industries delhi for the P43 carb, below are the details

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]================================================== =========

Fuel economy products at 011-28759455 ,28751050 or 011-28758633[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Address: 2247/66,Laxmi Rani Dawar Marg,New Delhi - 110005,near Guru Nanak Hotel[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]
================================================== ==========

Happy Hunting

Regards,
Ranjit
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks