Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2012, 14:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: National Rail Museum - Matheran Rail Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH View Post
@HARIT
in case God agrees to my plans then i am looking to refurbish the matheran rail car, the kalka shimla rail car and the kalka shimla rail bus. There are plans to have a small roundabout rail track of a couple of hundred metres to run the matheran rail car which would be brought out on weekends for all to enjoy. Am trying to upload some more snaps of the matheran rail car (MRC) Atul
I just came across this interesting thread. Has there been any progress after the last post. Would be nice to see a closer look of the engine in a photo.
Cheers
Old 21st July 2012, 21:24   #17
BHPian

All I have on this laptop -

[IMG]]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/MacHaverings/India-2011108.jpg[/IMG]

Argyll.
Argyll is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2012, 10:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyll
All I have on this laptop -

Argyll.
Willing to help in any manner let me know thanks
Old 22nd July 2012, 10:27   #19
Team-BHP Support

There is one thumbnail sized image of the rail car among many others in this link.

Link.
Old 22nd July 2012, 12:22   #20
BHPian

Opps - my apologies, somehow I managed to add an extra ']' in the middle image link above, second attempt -

Old 22nd July 2012, 13:46   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH
Folks, the nation needs you. Buffs who are experts on dodge cars, your expertise is desperately needed since the National Rail Museum has decided to refurbish and completely rebuild the Matheran Rail Car which is currently lying as a dead exhibit. Before i say anything else let me put up some pictures of the same taken yesterday.
Thank god for people like you!
I wish the same care could be taken with all our great heritage buildings as well.
If possible try and take away the old Ooty Toy Train steam engine also and place it as an exhibit in the National Rail Museum!
Old 22nd July 2012, 14:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan

Thank god for people like you!
I wish the same care could be taken with all our great heritage buildings as well.
If possible try and take away the old Ooty Toy Train steam engine also and place it as an exhibit in the National Rail Museum!
Sir the toy train of Ooty has all and more support as I travelled on it as a kid when in LOVEDALE . Eternal sponsorship available

Cheers
Old 22nd July 2012, 17:53   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli

Sir the toy train of Ooty has all and more support as I travelled on it as a kid when in LOVEDALE . Eternal sponsorship available

Cheers
I know Kasli. So did I.

Which is why it saddens me to see those old steam engines lying un used in the Mettupalayam yard ever since they converted to Diesel Electric.
I think the old steam engines would have a greater chance of long term survival in the National Rail Museum than in the Metty yard.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 22nd July 2012 at 17:54.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2012, 18:09   #24
BHPian

Hi, I only saw this set of messages today and would be most happy to help in any way I can. I have over 30 yrs experience restoring old cars and bikes and have also helped to restore a WW2 Spitfire plane. Guess an old Dodge or Fargo engine wont hold any surprises. Do let me know the state of the project and if I can be of any use. My contact number is 09344833274 and e mail is planter472002@yahoo.co.in
Arthur Steele
Old 22nd July 2012, 21:21   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector
Hi, I only saw this set of messages today and would be most happy to help in any way I can. I have over 30 yrs experience restoring old cars and bikes and have also helped to restore a WW2 Spitfire plane. Guess an old Dodge or Fargo engine wont hold any surprises. Do let me know the state of the project and if I can be of any use. My contact number is 09344833274 and e mail is planter472002@yahoo.co.in
Arthur Steele
Wow Sir!
A real Spitfire! What an experience it must have been, restoring such an icon.
I love aircraft of that period and have spent some f my happiest moments while visiting the RAF Hendon Aircraft Museum in England some time back!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2012, 21:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Please upload some snaps for us to admire

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
Arthur Steele
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:41   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Wow Sir!
A real Spitfire! What an experience it must have been, restoring such an icon.
I love aircraft of that period and have spent some f my happiest moments while visiting the RAF Hendon Aircraft Museum in England some time back!
Just as a matter of curosity it was in Bangalore sometime in the late 70's early 80's The Airforce had a few Mosquito's still flying and a few Canberra bommers also still flying-and 2 Spits rusting away in a corner. On the insistance of the then Co. of the Station{WngCmd Stitcthion??} a couple of senior mechs were brought down from Delhi and a retired fitter from UK to restore them. However the air frame of one was beyond salvage but we could use many of the engine parts and other gear to get one airborn. This plane was eventualy taken to an Air Musem in North India.
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
This plane was eventualy taken to an Air Musem in North India.
Indeed, it's on display at the Air Force Museum, Palam, along with many other kites and Air Force-related transports. Some spoils of war too!
Old 26th July 2012, 19:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

About the Delhi Rail Museum, I wish that they would take a little bit more care about their stock.
See the door hanging on that Dodge Brothers Railcar. When I went there there was another similar vehicle with the bonnet kept open. The fire engine was lying in the separate enclosure, but the dummy dolls of fire men where thrown around, like corpses.
Then they had the steam engine where all the brass parts were stolen, including the gauges.

Similarly,the old air planes in India are by and large neglected, I don't know what is done to preserve them. The authorities first allowed the Fokke Wulf to be sold and exported, then ran after the dealer, but those who sold it in the first place are the culpits. There are planes in North India which deserve to be preserved, but all are afraid that if they get the planes going someone will sell them off.

And to our automotive hobby, we get no help to import parts, cars which are kept in some Museums liek Netajis car are in a pathetic state. Preserved cars are mostly by private collectors, who struggle with spares and documentation.

Anyhow, here are two railcars, looking towards some comments.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
National Rail Museum - Matheran Rail Car-railc1.jpg  

National Rail Museum - Matheran Rail Car-railc2.jpg  

harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 20:30   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Anyhow, here are two railcars, looking towards some comments.

Cheers harit
Were these railcars used on the Shimla-Kalka line ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks