Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2014, 07:52   #31

Re: Restoration of a 1934 Plymouth PE

Thankyou very much for your kind words.

Trying to rebuild a car that is 80 years old and totally dismantled tried my patience at times and many a time I've had to walk away and come back the next day.

The roof was one of those very messy jobs.
When I bought the car there were only 3 timber bows left of which 2 were broken. I spoke the the guy who did my body work and he set about making a new insert for me.
Did an absolutely fantastic job. Once completed I took to the upholsterer and he covered it with a cloth, foam and then the black finishing material. To check I set it in the roof opening and then removed and made a few minor adjustments as one part was sitting a fraction too high.

I removed it from the car and ran three lines of green ( low stick ) masking tape along both the roof insert and the opening in the body. Once this was done and we ( my brother and I ) were happy with the result I ran three runs of Butyl Mastic ( like liquid Dum Dum ) along the three ridges in the roof opening. This was to give it a chance of having a three layer protection from getting any leaks. Once this was completed we made sure the screw ( metal thread ) holes aligned up. WE put the metalthreads on the holes and hand tightened them until it started to exert some force on them. We started from one side and tightened them until we got around to the opposite side and all screws were tight. There is always one that doesn't want to go in !!!

To fill in any gaps that still may exist, I applied another run if Butyl Mastic and flattened it down with a cloth with some Kerosene on it. It was then a continuous job of getting the excess Butyl Mastic off the area. This stuff sticks like poo to a blanket ! blah.
Anywho, once we got the excess removed the masking tape was removed slowly after a hour or so as the skin had started to form. These was a few imperfections that needed attention so a bit more gentle wiping I was able to get that sorted out. When finished I left it for two days and then I had to find something that was softer than a cloth but was still had enough that didn't fall apart. I rembered my daughters use these pads for removing makeup. Armed with a few of these I again put some kerosene on them and very gently wiped any excess away. A bit of the cotton came off but this will clean off once completely dry. I think it came up looking ok and I really dont want to do this again !

Restoration of a 1934 Plymouth PE-dscn56680001.jpg

Restoration of a 1934 Plymouth PE-cimg6973.jpg

Restoration of a 1934 Plymouth PE-cimg6976.jpg

Restoration of a 1934 Plymouth PE-cimg7797.jpg

Restoration of a 1934 Plymouth PE-cimg7810.jpg

Restoration of a 1934 Plymouth PE-cimg8426.jpg

Restoration of a 1934 Plymouth PE-cimg8421.jpg

Restoration of a 1934 Plymouth PE-cimg8428.jpg

Restoration of a 1934 Plymouth PE-cimg8430.jpg

Restoration of a 1934 Plymouth PE-cimg8434.jpg

Restoration of a 1934 Plymouth PE-cimg8438.jpg

Restoration of a 1934 Plymouth PE-cimg8458.jpg

Restoration of a 1934 Plymouth PE-cimg8462.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st April 2014 at 09:05. Reason: Reformatting a bit for better viewability.
34 Dodge is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 07:57   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Dear Ian,

I just love the way you are going about your project . In India we do not have the patience to detail the project as much as you all do. Information and availability of spares is limited in India and lastly, professional restoration of vintage cars is limited to some cities.

I would request you to post some detail pictures as you work on the roof. Guess you will have the outer surface with some water proof material, middle will be mesh and cotton wool and what material will use in the inside?

Cheers

KPS
Hello,
Thought I better explain what material was used. The outer material is the same as that used to make the mudguard piping. Very tough and great for the roof. My upholstorer uses it all the time. Then a layer of felt followed by a layer of thick cotton sheet and then the bird wire mesh.

Hope the pics help.
Kind Regards
Ian
34 Dodge is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 13:45   #33

The third last picture you'll notice a nice shiny black car. That's my other baby !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of a 1934 Plymouth PE-cimg8137.jpg  

Restoration of a 1934 Plymouth PE-cimg8145.jpg  

Old 12th June 2014, 21:28   #34
BHPian

Hello ,

After some months of dilly dallying, I returned to the Plymouth and put the roof in this time I was back home , upholstery work in progress - a current picture of the car :
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of a 1934 Plymouth PE-20140601_200238-medium.jpg  

vintageman is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 05:47   #35

The Plymouth is coming along very well indeed.
Can you get some more shots of it both inside and out ?
You've saved another one !!!!
Best Regards
Ian
Old 5th May 2017, 00:49   #36
BHPian

The car today
Restoration of a 1934 Plymouth PE-1493925578449.jpg
vintageman is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 07:16   #37
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
The car today
Thanks vintageman for saving this car. The calling signing of the PE is the two different types of louvers and the radiator cap being below the bonnet.

Quote:
As 1934 opened, Plymouth replaced the successful PD and PCXX models with a new PE Deluxe model and a new standard PF model.

The PE and PF featured an advanced independent front suspension that used unequal A arms. Power was increased by 10% over the 1933 models by increasing the engine stroke. In other respects the PE and PF were mechanically very similar to the 1933 models.

The radiator cap migrated to under the hood again where it has remained ever since. The hood ornament featured a sailing ship for the first time. The hood sides were a odd mix of louvers in the front and vertically stacked doors at the rear.

These are also the first Plymouth model that placed the instrument cluster in front of the driver rather than in the center of the dash.

Source

Please share more detailed pictures.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 13:17   #38
BHPian

Vintagman and 34 Dodge; it's amazing to see such loving restorations happening in India and across the equator in Australia.

Whats heartening to see is the tenacity with which you have overcome the loss / theft of the engine parts by using your Engineering knowledge and experience.

In India ; with our limited resources and almost drought like situation for parts , it's really commendable, the results you have achieved. You have reached the home run now, from here you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Keep the good work going sir.
Cheers
cjt2012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 07:27   #39
BHPian

Hello cjt
Thank you for the wonderful endorsement. As the lady says keep restoring as it keeps me out of trouble..
The wonderful part of this project was starting with piston rings and getting a full car when completed re
Old 7th August 2017, 14:23   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34 Dodge View Post
Thankyou very much for your kind words.
Trying to rebuild a car that is 80 years old and totally dismantled tried my patience.......
Hello 34 Dodge / Ian,
If I had not read your post and seen the accompanying photos, I wouldn't have believed the amount of slog & labour needed to get just the roof of the car done properly. A serious labour of love indeed! But the rewards are there for all to see - just gorgeous!
Old 7th August 2017, 14:31   #41
BANNED

Hello Capt. Chauhan,
Congratulations on the splendid job you have done on the ’34 Plymouth! I came upon this thread just a few days ago and so this late post. But serious kudos are due to you for the deep practical knowledge of IC engine maintenance you have acquired in your line of work! In over 40+ years at sea (1974 to 2015) you are the only master mariner I know with such a marvelous range of engineering knowledge. To be able to carry out the re-boring of the crankshaft housing/webs to accommodate larger main bearings for a new crankshaft; to cast new pistons & machine them to size with ring grooves and re-work the rings themselves – all this speaks of the love that you, and of course Akhilesh Agarwalji, have for this work. And one must not forget the fact that the American engines of the era had remarkable longevity & structural strength – due largely to the unstressed engine scantlings & webs as a result of the low compression ratios in use at the time.

And being from Lucknow (and Allahabad) myself, I can fully appreciate the difficulties you have faced with the restoration as also the gratitude you express for the people around who extended so much help & encouragement to you without thought of gain. Your experience gives hope that all the traditions of the Lucknow of my youth is probably not dead - at least not yet!
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 16:21   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello Capt. Chauhan,

Congratulations on the splendid job you have done on the ’34 Plymouth! I came upon this thread just a few days ago and so this late post. But serious kudos are due to you for the deep practical knowledge of IC engine maintenance you have acquired in your line of work! In over 40+ years at sea (1974 to 2015) you are the only master mariner I know with such a marvelous range of engineering knowledge. To be able to carry out the re-boring of the crankshaft housing/webs to accommodate larger main bearings for a new crankshaft; to cast new pistons & machine them to size with ring grooves and re-work the rings themselves – all this speaks of the love that you, and of course Akhilesh Agarwalji, have for this work. And one must not forget the fact that the American engines of the era had remarkable longevity & structural strength – due largely to the unstressed engine scantlings & webs as a result of the low compression ratios in use at the time.

And being from Lucknow (and Allahabad) myself, I can fully appreciate the difficulties you have faced with the restoration as also the gratitude you express for the people around who extended so much help & encouragement to you without thought of gain. Your experience gives hope that all the traditions of the Lucknow of my youth is probably not dead - at least not yet!

Dear Capt Chauhan,
It's from the above post that I stumbled upon your background as a Master Mariner.
I too am a Master Mariner ,but I am still sailing, and plan to do so for a few more years.
This is one fabulous hobby which any one can have , the one thing I miss the most (apart from missing my family)while at sea is the tinkering with my bikes and cars, but it does give you an edge when at sea,for Engineers onboard can't take you for a ride and you get an ability to think round a problem or an issue.
I would love to see your Garage and take inspiration from your works to be able to finish some of my incomplete projects , I am also on the lookout for an American project car, if I can get hold of one .
Congratulations again on the fantastic job on the Plymouth.
Cheers
cjt2012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 20:28   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello Capt. Chauhan,
Congratulations on the splendid job you have done on the ’34 Plymouth! I
Good day Sir

Apologies for the excessive delay in responding, somehow I have been missing this thread and chanced upon it today.

Thank you for the appreciation. Necessity and Internet are ideal for crash courses in restoration and renovation more so if one is passionate about the job.

I had a problem with the gear box luckily I had a spare available, presently the Plymouth is awaiting gear box replacement.
Old 10th February 2021, 20:38   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjt2012 View Post
Dear Capt Chauhan, .
Congratulations again on the fantastic job on the Plymouth.
Cheers
Dear Sir

My apologies for not visiting this thread earlier. Thank you for the appreciation.

Please feel free to visit me at Lucknow any time you are here, we will discuss your car requirements then

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks