Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2013, 23:33   #1

Any Steam Cars in India?

Steam technology was already a hundred years old when the first petrol cars started coming in and steam was a worthy competitor in the early days of the automobile. I have always found them fascinating but have never heard of any in India ?

Does anyone know of any steam cars in India ?
Old 23rd July 2013, 13:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Any Steam Cars in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthmehd View Post
...........................Does anyone know of any steam cars in India ?
Sure, there is a steam vehicle in Gondal. Its difficult to call it a car, but its neither a truck nor a bus.
Apart from that, one is supposed to have been sent back to the manufacturer in the US to sort some issues, it never came back. May have been a Maharajah's Dobble. On more is supposed to be locked up somewhere in Central India, unfortunately the link to that car is lost.
We have some steam trucks, and road rollers.
But, today one cannot decide to have a ride in a vintage steam car, none are around and working.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 13:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Any Steam Cars in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Sure, there is a steam vehicle in Gondal. Its difficult to call it a car, but its neither a truck nor a bus.
Apart from that, one is supposed to have been sent back to the manufacturer in the US to sort some issues, it never came back. May have been a Maharajah's Dobble. On more is supposed to be locked up somewhere in Central India, unfortunately the link to that car is lost.
We have some steam trucks, and road rollers.
But, today one cannot decide to have a ride in a vintage steam car, none are around and working.

Cheers harit
Dear HaritJi,

Central India does ring a bell, you can remember my phone call regarding the same. I hope both of these are one, my father indeed told me there is a car like that for which a news article came in local news papers.

The mechanic who was asking for guidance in making the car run has not shown me the car till now. I think there is a dispute on ownership. And she being rare has raised eyebrows of many.
manishalive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 14:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Any Steam Cars in India?

Quote:
Apart from that, one is supposed to have been sent back to the manufacturer in the US to sort some issues, it never came back. May have been a Maharajah's Dobble.
The Doble was ordered by Alwar, but I think it never came in the first place. Subject to correction.

I wonder if any mainstream steam cars like a Stanley came in.
Old 23rd July 2013, 17:35   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The Doble was ordered by Alwar, but I think it never came in the first place. Subject to correction.

I wonder if any mainstream steam cars like a Stanley came in.
The Alwar Doble (E-23) was cancelled; and still exists. The Bharatpur one (E-16) with a Windovers body did make it to India. This was the only D / E Series with a non-Walter Murphy body, according to experts

It was supposedly scrapped after a few years.

http://www.stanleysteamers.com/doble1.htm

E-23 shown below:

Any Steam Cars in India?-alwar-doble-e13.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Bharatpur E-16 Chassis below:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2786225...n/photostream/

Any Steam Cars in India?-bharatpur-doble-e16-chassis.jpg

Quite a few "Steamers" came to India (mainly Whites), including one for Mysore.

Last edited by travancore : 23rd July 2013 at 17:43.
travancore is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 06:38   #6
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
The Alwar Doble (E-23) was cancelled; and still exists. The Bharatpur one (E-16) with a Windovers body did make it to India. This was the only D / E Series with a non-Walter Murphy body, according to experts

Quite a few "Steamers" came to India (mainly Whites), including one for Mysore.
Thanks for sharing, I for one never knew that such cars were indeed ordered.

Many years back I had heard of a Steam Car in Calicut owned by a christian who keeps the car in memory of his father. Can anyone substantiate this story?
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 17:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
....Many years back I had heard of a Steam Car in Calicut owned by a christian who keeps the car in memory of his father. Can anyone substantiate this story?
What I remember is that there was this early DeDion Bouton which was the first car in Mangalore, belonging to a Catholic gent, and now preserved in some Institute. Are you refering to that by any chance? That was not a steam driven car.

Cheers harit
Old 25th July 2013, 18:19   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What I remember is that there was this early DeDion Bouton which was the first car in Mangalore, belonging to a Catholic gent, and now preserved in some Institute. Are you refering to that by any chance? That was not a steam driven car.

Cheers harit
Here is "a" history of the Mangalore De Dion courtesy of daijiworld.com.

Any Steam Cars in India?-mangalore-de-dion-1906-cropped.jpg
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 18:43   #9
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cheers harit
No Harit, not the Mangalore Bouton, which by the way does not have an engine.

There is supposed to be a steam car in Calicut as recollected by a senior gentleman in Bangalore.
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 22:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

at Visveswariah Museum ( opp Mercedes Benz Sundaram motors near UB city ) at Bangalore , there is an actual huge steam engine truck with 'Mazgaon Docks' painted headboard above the front windshield , that was probably used at Mumbai port about a 100 years ago!
vinay kamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 12:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
at Visveswariah Museum ( opp Mercedes Benz Sundaram motors near UB city ) at Bangalore , there is an actual huge steam engine truck with 'Mazgaon Docks' painted headboard above the front windshield , that was probably used at Mumbai port about a 100 years ago!
That steam truck is a Sentinel, one of three in Bangalore. There is one more in Nehru Science Center in Mumbai, Mazagon Docks also had a steam truck of another make. There are photographs of Bombay Docks with a number of steam trucks plying. Many of them were either assembled or sold & serviced by TELCO, now TATA Motors.
These trucks plied in Mumbai in the 1920's and 1930's, not yet 100 years ago. And they were built upto 1950. Steam trucks lost out to diesel trucks. Check with Googlebaba

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 31st August 2013 at 12:15.
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 12:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nehru Science Center has two trucks . One in Calcutta also

Cheers

Quote:
That steam truck is a Sentinel, one of three in Bangalore. There is one more in Nehru Science Center in Mumbai, Mazagon Docks also had a steam truck of another make. There are photographs of Bombay Docks with a number of steam trucks plying. Many of them were either assembled or sold & serviced by TELCO, now TATA Motors.
These trucks plied in Mumbai in the 1920's and 1930's, not yet 100 years ago. And they were built upto 1950. Steam trucks lost out to diesel trucks. Check with Googlebaba

Cheers harit
Old 23rd August 2017, 12:25   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
Quote:

Cheers harit
I wonder if this one is one of the ones mentioned above. It attended a vintage car event in Bombay in the 70s.

Any Steam Cars in India?-img_3743.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 13:40   #14
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I wonder if this one is one of the ones mentioned above. It attended a vintage car event in Bombay in the 70s.

Wonder is this is one at the Bangalore Museum. The plaque in the museum says that it had participated in a rally in 1971!

Any Steam Cars in India?-a1.jpg

Any Steam Cars in India?-a2.jpg

Any Steam Cars in India?-.jpg

Any Steam Cars in India?-b.jpg

Any Steam Cars in India?-c.jpg

Any Steam Cars in India?-image1.jpg

Any Steam Cars in India?-image2.jpg

Any Steam Cars in India?-image3.jpg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 14:30   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Wonder is this is one at the Bangalore Museum. The plaque in the museum says that it had participated in a rally in 1971!
Yes, 1971 was the year. So it is the same one. Thanks for sharing!

Now we need to convince tonrag to go about getting it restored

OT - any other interesting vehicles in this museum?
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks