Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Old 4th June 2019, 04:39   #106
MCW

Default Re: Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan

msabbasi, thank you for your comprehensive explanation earlier of the initials 'AA'.

If any photographs exist of B94KM in the Nawab's archives I would be very interested to see them.

Incidentally, HH is usually referred to as 'the Nawab', sometimes as 'the Ameer' (and in the Tatler article above as 'the Maharajah', but I assume that's a mistake). Is one more 'correct' than the other?
MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2019, 07:20   #107
BHPian

A good question. Certainly Maharajah is not correct. However both Nawab and Amir are used in correspondence and literature relating to His Highness.

In 1740 The correct title was Nawab Amir (http://www.worldstatesmen.org/Pakist...tml#Bahawalpur). The grandfather (1866 - 1899) of His Highness was titled Nawab Amir Sir Sadiq Muhammad Khan Abbasi IV Bahadur. While His Highness's father (1899 - 1907) had the title, Al-Haj Nawab Muhammad Bahawal Khan Abbasi V Bahadur. His Highness (1907 - 1966) had the title, Al-Haj Nawab Sir Sadiq Muhammad Khan Abbasi V Bahadur. The dates mentioned are the years of rule.

In real terms we find that His Highness is addressed as both Amir and Nawab in various places. I would say that both are correct. I would lean towards Nawab to be more correct.

With regards to a picture of B49KM, perhaps others can help.

Last edited by msabbasi : 9th June 2019 at 07:44.
msabbasi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2019, 10:58   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCW View Post
If any photographs exist of B94KM in the Nawab's archives I would be very interested to see them.
Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-bahawalpur-bentley-mk-vi-b94km-adv-mar-1966.jpg

Cars of HH Nawab Sadiq M Abbasi V of Bahawalpur, Pakistan-bahawalpur-bentley-mk-vi-b94km-hjmulliner-limousine.jpg

Not from the Bahwalpur Archives. B94KM but ca 1966.
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2019, 02:20   #109
MCW

travancore, thank you for posting the classified ad for B94KM. I would be very interested to know when this was published, and in which publication.

msabbasi, thank you too for your further explanation regarding His Highness's title.
MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 06:42   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCW View Post
travancore, thank you for posting the classified ad for B94KM. I would be very interested to know when this was published, and in which publication.
The advertisement is from March, 1966. Unfortunately do not know the publication.
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 15:01   #111
MCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
The advertisement is from March, 1966. Unfortunately do not know the publication.
I found it, thank you. it was from Frank Dale's advertisement in the March 1966 issue of Motorsport Magazine. Helpfully, the Motorsport archive is available online:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a.../march-1966/94
MCW is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote