Team-BHP - Pics : Wolseley
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Pre-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/)
-   -   Pics : Wolseley (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/20664-pics-wolseley.html)

hey spotted this car a while back.can anyone throw some light on it ??

klaus17

Hi Klaus17:

This green and cream roadster is a 1935 Wolseley Hornet Special 14.

It had a 1,604cc 6-cylinder overhead camshaft engine that developed 50 bhp and delivered 14 horsepower to the road wheels.

Out of interest, I would like to see the car. Can you send me a private message, where we can meet up on a weekend and see the car?

Ram

thats right,,,

i cant quite put my finger on it, but something about the rear end doest seem right to me...somethings out of place...any one agree with me?

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 359444)
thats right,,,

i cant quite put my finger on it, but something about the rear end doest seem right to me...somethings out of place...any one agree with me?

Yes Karl, the car is missing the folded cane bows and its nickeled hinges and canvas hood that would occupy the space above the dikky.
And the external chrome hinges on the dikky look too 'fifties : two decades too new for this car.

Ram

you know, i have a sneaky suspicion that it was originally a 4 seater modded to a 2 seater...either ways, a neat job.

Ram, the chrome hinges look like the ones you get on the Ambassador, dont they?

Quote:

Originally Posted by moralfibre (Post 360214)
Ram, the chrome hinges look like the ones you get on the Ambassador, dont they?

Yes Kiran, the hinges do look like those on the Hindustan 10/14/Landmaster/Ambassador, but
as Karlos suspects, the rear seat may have been converted to a dikky.
These old pics show the rear of the car with the bows and canopy up.

Ram

Hi,

This Wolseley Hornet Special was restored by my uncle and it is the first vintage car I ever sat in :).

Here is a 1936 Wolseley 14/56 posted in FB. Car appears to be in AP/Telengana. Interesting 6 cyl car and it is indeed great that she is being restored.

Pics : Wolseley-w1.jpg

Pics : Wolseley-w2.jpg

Pics : Wolseley-w3.jpg

Pics : Wolseley-w4.jpg

Quote:

The 14/56 became one of the most popular models to be produced with approximately 15,000 during the short life of the Series II. Unlike the Morris equivalent at the time, the Wolseley 14/56 featured overhead valve engine and four-speed gearbox, along with ‘Easiclean’ steel-pressed wheels.
The ‘Jackall’ system was also available, whereby a hand pumped hydraulic system could be used to raise the front, rear, or all of the wheels off the ground.

Source

Cheers

KPS

A Wolseley tourer with an interesting history seen here

Pics : Wolseley-wol.jpg

Quote:

Beautiful car with an interesting history, documented on the wind screen. This car was purchased new in 1923 from Gamages Department Store, London for Sir Dhunjbhoy Bomanji Snr. DB. He was the extremely wealthy owner of Panji Shipping Contractors of Bombay and had homes in India and sevral in England. His main home in England and where the car was delivered was The Willows at Windsor a large riverside property built in 1830 for the Duchess of Sutherland, he also owned the two adjacent properties, giving Sir Dnunjbhoy around one mile of frontage to the River Thames. The property employed around fifty domestic staff, including twenty gardeners for whom the car was used mainly by the head gardener to oversea his staff and to transport visitors. Sir Dhunjbhoy died in India in 1937 leaving the properties including the car to his widow Frances who continued to live at the Willows until 1947 when the estate and car were sold at auction. It now resides in Solihull with an enthusiastic member of the Wolseley Owners Club

Shot at the Wolseley Register National Rally, Hawksyard Hall,

In the late 1930s this Wolseley was offered for sale in Bombay. Originally built for use by HRH the Duke of Windsor.

Name:  wolseley.JPG
Views: 180
Size:  93.8 KB

The two words in this ad that caught my fancy are: "no rattles". I am amazed that automobile manufacturer have made so much progress, but the concern for "rattles" lives on in modern cars too.