Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2008, 12:42   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Thanks SAT

I have a friend who worked for Daimler Benz, have given him the info and we'll have full clarity once he gets back with the correct picture.

It most certainly would be wonderful if its confirmed that this is in fact a rare Model K specially commisioned with an S engine from the factory. If that is the case then the single carb job on this engine would make this an even more interesting order assuming it was delivered from the factory so. Interesting!
Hello DKG,

The Mercedes-Benz Museum is online (Mercedes-Benz Museum) and has a Contact Us section, where questions may be posed ...

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
Old 20th April 2008, 19:54   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Has the Bhopal SS survived?
Don't really know! I have not been able to find any recent pictures, in spite of scouring the web.
Old 20th April 2008, 23:01   #138
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
Hello DKG,

The Mercedes-Benz Museum is online (Mercedes-Benz Museum) and has a Contact Us section, where questions may be posed ...

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
Thanks FourWheelDrift, will check it out. By the way not in WRC but when I drove in snow I often experienced Four Wheel Drift

And when its a huge 8 cylinder monster that you are driving and cars are parked nearby it can scare the daylights out of you!! I remember the first time I turned left and the car continued straight it freaked me out completely. Or you turn into a lane and the car slides sideways heading straight toward the kerb. Learnt to respect nature very quickly
Old 21st April 2008, 00:37   #139
BHPian

Quote:

And when its a huge 8 cylinder monster that you are driving and cars are parked nearby it can scare the daylights out of you!! I remember the first time I turned left and the car continued straight it freaked me out completely. Or you turn into a lane and the car slides sideways heading straight toward the kerb. Learnt to respect nature very quickly
Try a large motorcycle on ice you can hardly use the brakes at all...

Silver Ghosts have a fibre fricton washer taking the thrust in one kingpin and a ball thrust bearing in the other and if they aren't properly set up or if there is any discrepancy in the steering Ghosts develop a horrifying wobble in the steering which can progress to nearly lock to lock movement of the steering and is the most horrific experience on an open road, let alone in Indian traffic!!! I've experienced this twice in 2 different Ghosts in Delhi and both times on restoring the steering joints, kingpins, steering boxes, owners and drivers (oblivious to the necessity) found it easier to just accuse one of job creation. Restoring cars in India also involves a unfortunate multi layered universe of trust, perception and budget problems which make relatively simple restoration twice as difficult, especially where owners rely on their uneducated staff for information.
Old 21st April 2008, 06:40   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks FourWheelDrift, will check it out. By the way not in WRC but when I drove in snow I often experienced Four Wheel Drift

For some of lucky enough to live in a place like Michigan, this becomes a way of life (or almost 5 months of your life every year!). Will never forget my experiences with my 1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe! The worst yes, was picking up a "boatload" of groceries on an icy day in a V-8 monster, a rather mundane Chevy Silverado with bald tires. Never trust when the owner says "It does fine" and sends you off on your merry way!!!
Old 21st April 2008, 08:29   #141
Senior - BHPian

Warranty

I wonder if he has renewed the extended warranty.
Old 28th April 2008, 01:25   #142
BHPian

So where is this one from? No engine?
1927 Mercedes 630K Supercharged in Delhi....-540k.jpg
Source err.. was it trauautoarchiv or schlumpf collection?
Old 28th April 2008, 09:17   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
So where is this one from? No engine?
Attachment 11744
Source err.. was it trauautoarchiv or schlumpf collection?
That looks like typical Erdmann & Rossi coachwork. The Shah of Iran had a thing for them, its most likely to be one of his.

EDIT - Just checked in my von Schlumph collection pictures, I found this. Labelled 1938 540K Erdmann and Rossi.
Attached Thumbnails
1927 Mercedes 630K Supercharged in Delhi....-01.jpg  

1927 Mercedes 630K Supercharged in Delhi....-02.jpg  

1927 Mercedes 630K Supercharged in Delhi....-03.jpg  

Last edited by karlosdeville : 28th April 2008 at 09:21.
Old 28th April 2008, 10:48   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are some more pics of the Shah's Mercedes I had, also by Erdmann and Rossi. One picture appears to be the same car.
Attached Thumbnails
1927 Mercedes 630K Supercharged in Delhi....-mb07.jpg  

1927 Mercedes 630K Supercharged in Delhi....-mercedes-540k-erdmann-rossi02.jpg  

1927 Mercedes 630K Supercharged in Delhi....-mercedes-540k-erdmann-rossi03.jpg  

1927 Mercedes 630K Supercharged in Delhi....-mercedes-540k-erdmann-rossi04.jpg  

1927 Mercedes 630K Supercharged in Delhi....-shah01.jpg  

1927 Mercedes 630K Supercharged in Delhi....-shah02.jpg  

1927 Mercedes 630K Supercharged in Delhi....-mhv_mb_w29_500k_e26r_01.jpg  

1927 Mercedes 630K Supercharged in Delhi....-mhv_mb_w29_500k_e26r_02.jpg  

Old 28th April 2008, 20:31   #145
BHPian

I wonder if there's anything left in Iran now...
I was in Iran in 1976 during the Shah's time, I never saw him cruising about in them though
Old 28th April 2008, 21:47   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder if there's anything left in Iran now...
I was in Iran in 1976 during the Shah's time, I never saw him cruising about in them though
The green and grey car car is thankfully still in Iran. Fellow member and Puneite payam had shot these pictures at an exhibition. More here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...iran-love.html

I remember hearing stories of cars being chopped and smuggled out of Iraq as recently as during Saddams ouster. He and his sons apparently had built up quite a collection, and it was literally a free for all as people began vandalising them in the midst of all the commotion.
Old 28th April 2008, 23:43   #147
BHPian

There's some more pictures of the Shah's other cars here:
Iran Supercars: May 2007

"Older people talk of nights when the Shah raced against his twin sister with their Lamborghinis and Ferraris into the early hours on newly built Tehran highways."

Last edited by Julian UK : 29th April 2008 at 00:02.
Old 12th May 2008, 17:09   #148
BHPian

Some sad pictures of the alleged Mercedes 540K that was rotting in Pahar Ganj in Delhi for years and is now owned by Jackie Shroff after some work having been done in Indore. These were taken in 1986 when it was in Greater Kailash 1 in Delhi. It had a great deal of corrosion including large holes in the chassis. I remember finding the carburettor in the boot and refitting it to the engine, alot of parts were missing unfortunately.
Thats a PIII bonnet in the first picture and I think an late 30s MG SA in the background which also went to Bangalore to Ravi Kumar and I believe it folded when a crane lifted it with chains only around the centre of the car. i believe it was restored after that
1927 Mercedes 630K Supercharged in Delhi....-mercedes-benz-540k-1.jpg
1927 Mercedes 630K Supercharged in Delhi....-scan.jpg
1927 Mercedes 630K Supercharged in Delhi....-scan0001.jpg
1927 Mercedes 630K Supercharged in Delhi....-scan0002.jpg
1927 Mercedes 630K Supercharged in Delhi....-scan0003.jpg
Does anyone have any later photos?

Last edited by Julian UK : 12th May 2008 at 17:15.
Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2008, 17:32   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some sad pictures of the alleged Mercedes 540K that was rotting in Pahar Ganj in Delhi for years and is now owned by Jackie Shroff after some work having been done in Indore. These were taken in 1986 when it was in Greater Kailash 1 in Delhi. It had a great deal of corrosion including large holes in the chassis. I remember finding the carburettor in the boot and refitting it to the engine, alot of parts were missing unfortunately.
Wow, I had no idea the car was this bad. There was a photo or 2 of the car undergoing work at Manvender's in his book.
Old 12th May 2008, 19:25   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 14820
Does anyone have any later photos?
Julian, any idea of the provenance / original owner of the 540K ? Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks