Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2008, 21:55   #136
BHPian

The 'IDAR' Farman is absolutely amazing & is apparently the only one in private hands of the last remaining 4.

The colour scheme is brilliant and the number plate 'IDAR 1' really looks royal.

It should last for quite a while since the last owner had a complete ground up restoration done on it before his death.

What a bygone era, the 1920's & 30's...
Old 2nd April 2008, 22:19   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orren1 View Post
What a bygone era, the 1920's & 30's...
That car dates to 1919 actually. Looks 15 years younger. This month's Auto India has a nice feature on it.
Old 2nd April 2008, 23:36   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This month's Auto India has a nice feature on it.
Courtesy of Gautam Sen coming back to them?
Old 3rd April 2008, 09:25   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Courtesy of Gautam Sen coming back to them?
But of course. I expect to see much more of the like, and of course, Retromobile, his favorite.
Old 7th April 2008, 04:17   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That car dates to 1919 actually. Looks 15 years younger. This month's Auto India has a nice feature on it.
Would someone please post the actual name of the magazine (The Indian Auto Journal ?) and month that the Idar article is in ? I am trying to get someone in India to buy it for me . Thanks!
Old 7th April 2008, 10:33   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Would someone please post the actual name of the magazine (The Indian Auto Journal ?) and month that the Idar article is in ? I am trying to get someone in India to buy it for me . Thanks!
Like I said, it is in this months "Auto India" magazine. Would you like me to pick one up for you?
Old 8th April 2008, 02:29   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Like I said, it is in this months "Auto India" magazine. Would you like me to pick one up for you?
Wow karlosdeville! That was a very magnanimous offer - my brother who is visiting India, hopefully will!

I did search the web to find the mag / article - hence the original request. Thanks again for offering!!!

For those of you who have seen it - any period pictures or confirmation that the Weymann bodied India Duesenberg (Black Limo / Towncar) I had posted in the Duesenberg Thread was indeed Idar's ?
Old 8th April 2008, 03:55   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Control View Post

The Farman A6B of The Royal Family of IDAR
Here is a period picture of maybe the same car after it went to Karauli. Notice slight differences in the windshield header, running boards and white vs black steering wheel.
(source unknown)

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-farman-karauli-1923.jpg
Old 8th April 2008, 09:50   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a period picture of maybe the same car after it went to Karauli. Notice slight differences in the windshield header, running boards and white vs black steering wheel.
Incidentally this picture is also featured in the article. Will send you a scan later.
Old 8th April 2008, 21:30   #145
BHPian

An interesting photograph 1911
Motor Garage [Rampur]
Old 9th April 2008, 09:18   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
An interesting photograph 1911
Motor Garage [Rampur]
nice photo, the cars are: (subject to correction by those who know better) Albion? Lachester, Rolls Royce, Brasier?, Mors?
Old 13th April 2008, 00:18   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
according to the current maharaja of Orchha,HH Madhugar Shah, who remembers this car clear as day. this was never designed for hunting tigers, thats just a myth!! and it was never buried or even close to it... and one of the hubcaps still survives in the orchha garages...
this is one of the several V16s that made it to princely India..
The Orchha Cadillac V-16 by Pininfarina.....must be one of the most beautiful cars ever built. Since I can't afford the real one, thought I will build my own!

So here goes
Orchha Cadillac V-16 by Pinin Farina (yes that is how it was originally spelt!).
And yes, I did indulge in some "poetic licence" , like moving the side mounted spares a little farther forward than the original; and deleting the mud flaps!
(1/25 scale converted from a Jo-Han 4 Door Phaeton)

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-orccha-side.jpg

and the real one for comparison (source:Pininfarina)

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-orccha-cadilllac-1931-orccha-side-view-pininfarina.jpg

and back to 1/25 scale

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-orccha-frt-3q.jpg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-orccha-frt-3q-1.jpg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-orccha-rear-3q-1.jpg
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2008, 04:50   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Orchha Cadillac V-16 by Pininfarina.....must be one of the most beautiful cars ever built. Since I can't afford the real one, thought I will build my own!

So here goes
Orchha Cadillac V-16 by Pinin Farina (yes that is how it was originally spelt!).
And yes, I did indulge in some "poetic licence" , like moving the side mounted spares a little farther forward than the original; and deleting the mud flaps!
(1/25 scale converted from a Jo-Han 4 Door Phaeton)
Here are some "period" photos of my car(s)!

Orchha Cadillac V-16

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-orchha-cadillacblackwhite.jpg

Rajkot Rolls Royce P-II
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-rajkotrrbw.jpg
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2008, 08:44   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Attached are two interesting photographs (courtesy of TopFoto.uk)

Mahatma Gandhi with the Raja of Kalakankar (circa 1929) Buick ?
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-gandhi.jpg

Cadillac under Amber gate, Jaipur
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-0508610.jpg
Old 13th April 2008, 19:57   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

"The Automobiles of the Maharajas" (page 285) mentions that Yeshwantrao Holkar owned 3 Alfa Romeos.

The following pictures are courtesy of www.conceptcarz.com

Alfa Romeo 8C-2900B Superleggera by Touring, 1938 (attributed to Indore / Holkar)

This car bears an "HSC" (Holkar State Car ?) licence plates which also shows up on many period pictures of the Holkar cars.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-holkar-alfa-roeo-8c-2900b-corto-touring-spyder-1938-front-3q-pebble-beach-2005.jpg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-holkar-alfa-roeo-8c-2900b-corto-touring-spyder-1938-rear-head-2005-pebble-beach.jpg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-holkar-alfa-roeo-8c-2900b-corto-touring-spyder-1938-cockpit-pebble-beach-2005.jpg

Here is the second car also attributed to Holkar (also 1938; 8C-2900B). This car has a slightly different instrument panel setup (more instruments to right of steering column); and different rear wheel spat covers, in addition to colour. Hence could be a different car from the above.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-holkar-alfa-8c_2900b_1938-touring-frt-left-3q.jpg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-holkar-alfa-8c2900b_1938-touring-rear-3q.jpg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-holkar-alfa-8c2900b_1938-touring-cockpit-2.jpg

The third of the Holkar Alfa Romeos maybe a 1935 Gurney-Nutting Coupe mentioned on page 245 of "Automobiles of the Maharajas"
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed