Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2008, 03:46   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=Chhayanat;813641]
Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Since many of us seem to love cars and elephants, here are two views of a 1937 Packard Super Eight, body by Rollston (Maharaja of Gwalior)
Fodder for more fables....

Packard 1937 Maharaja of Datia ( in Madhya Pradesh). Colour scarlet-red.
Chhayanat, thanks for the cool picture!
I am not pretending to be an expert here, but could someone confirm this Packard is indeed 1937 ? I think the radiator looks too vertical and parallel sided -1937 model radiators I thought were angled back and had tapered sides . Could this car be 1930 - 1932 ? Thanks
Old 1st May 2008, 04:23   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Tranancore, this is for you
Attachment 12414
Thanks a million Julian, the enlargement looks GREAT (and more useable!)
Old 1st May 2008, 10:01   #183
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but could someone confirm this Packard is indeed 1937 ? I think the radiator looks too vertical and parallel sided -1937 model radiators I thought were angled back and had tapered sides . Could this car be 1930 - 1932 ? Thanks
Travancore 1932 was the first year when the distinct yoke radiator grill of Packards appeared. Yes they remained vertical till 1935. In 1936 it was given a slant and in 1940 it split into three grills.

Fenders closed down in 1934. The Datia car is an Eleventh series 1934 Packard Eight. I haven't seen this car physically but most probably like other cars that came to India this too could be a seven seater tourer.

The only other departure on radiators prior to 1939 was the shovel nosed small eight in 1932

PS Understanding one marque completely seems like a mountain of a task. I think it will take my entire life to acquire significant knowledge about Packards (assuming I do other things in life too) Sometimes I wonder how the judges could hold such encyclopedic knowledge required to accurately assess different marques. They definately are a special breed!

BTW I still am trying to master recognising the small visual cues that identified a Eight from the Super or Deluxe Eight Packards The Datia car looks to be a Eight on a 136 inch chassis. The Super Eights were on the 142 inch chassis and if I recall what I read somewhere the difference shows up ahead of the cowl with a longer hood

Last edited by DKG : 1st May 2008 at 10:15.
Old 2nd May 2008, 22:45   #184
BHPian

[quote=Julian UK;813768]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhayanat View Post
Welcome back Chhayanat
Was the Packard also carried out of a jungle by 1000 camels, sorry, elephants?
Probably not: it was in excellent running condition when I saw it c.1967. To save space I am responding to all other queries. The Goenka car seems very like the Datia Packard. I am quoting the date of the car from memory. It could well be 1934 and not 1937.
I remember another enormous cream drophead Packard which used to drop some scion from a taluqdar family to our school. I remember my father saying that it was given by the Nawab of Rampur to Akhtaribai Faizabadi, later Begum Akhtar. I am not sure if he was correct. In all probability it belonged to the Mahmoodabad taluqdars. Perhaps, two separate cars were meant.
Old 3rd May 2008, 21:24   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Description of an interesting 1922 19.5 H.P. Crossley from the stables of the Nawab of Bahawalpur. (Alvis, you may have more info on this one!)

In 1922 one was supplied to the Prince of Wales. The engine was also used in several variants including Kegresse half tracks and six wheelers. One six wheeler was supplied to King George V with a shooting brake body, the chassis is believed to have come from a Crossley commercial or military vehicle and another went to the coachbuilders Barkers who fitted a mobile hunting box body for the Nawab of Bahawalpur. The latter was convertible to either sleeping accommodation or seating for twelve people. A six wheeler saloon car still using the 19.6 engine was displayed at the 1930 motor show.

(source: Crossley Motors of Manchester, England)
Old 3rd May 2008, 21:29   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Description of an interesting 1922 19.5 H.P. Crossley from the stables of the Nawab of Bahawalpur. (Alvis, you may have more info on this one!)

In 1922 one was supplied to the Prince of Wales. The engine was also used in several variants including Kegresse half tracks and six wheelers. One six wheeler was supplied to King George V with a shooting brake body, the chassis is believed to have come from a Crossley commercial or military vehicle and another went to the coachbuilders Barkers who fitted a mobile hunting box body for the Nawab of Bahawalpur. The latter was convertible to either sleeping accommodation or seating for twelve people. A six wheeler saloon car still using the 19.6 engine was displayed at the 1930 motor show.
(source: Crossley Motors of Manchester, England)
source of picture: VCCCP (?)

Could this be it ???
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-bahawalpur-looks-like-daimler-bwp105-side-view.jpg  

Old 4th May 2008, 04:06   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could this be it ???
Looks like it is indeed that car (truck ??). Here are a few more pictures (courtesy: PakWheels.com)

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-bahawalpur-crossley-6-wheeler-1.jpg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-bahawalpur-crossler-6-wheeler-2.jpg
Old 4th May 2008, 12:24   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Another shot of the same vehicle. I think I got this photo from the Pakistan vintage club website.
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-1.jpg

It shared space with a Rolls Royce armoured Ghost.
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-rolls01.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 4th May 2008 at 12:25.
Old 4th May 2008, 15:16   #189
BHPian

On the VCCCP site, military and fauna reduction equipment aside, I see a REAL car.
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-bentley-3-litre-2-vcccp.jpg
It looks to be a later 3 litre with twin slopers. 3 litres had a tapering cylinder block whereas 4 1/2 litres have a parallel block. Early 4 1/2 litres look similar its hard to tell from the photo which block it is.
Old 4th May 2008, 21:02   #190
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Probably not: it was in excellent running condition when I saw it c.1967. To save space I am responding to all other queries. The Goenka car seems very like the Datia Packard. I am quoting the date of the car from memory. It could well be 1934 and not 1937.
Chhayanat it is the Datia car and it is a 1934. It was with Manvendra Singh and later went to Goenkas. Manvendra told me he regretted selling this car.

Quote:
I remember another enormous cream drophead Packard which used to drop some scion from a taluqdar family to our school. I remember my father saying that it was given by the Nawab of Rampur to Akhtaribai Faizabadi, later Begum Akhtar. I am not sure if he was correct. In all probability it belonged to the Mahmoodabad taluqdars. Perhaps, two separate cars were meant.
Now its statements like these that get my pulse racing, or should I say drooling. Not sure if there are any Packard fans here but would love to hear about this and any other Packards. Please

I know I am going to dream of this "enormous cream drophead Packard"
Old 4th May 2008, 21:09   #191
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
fauna reduction equipment
Now that's an original one Julian, never heard someone put it so politely

Quote:
I see a REAL car.
Now isn't that something. We should try to get pictures of a REAL Bentley being restored from scratch and host a video link too of it here.
Old 4th May 2008, 21:50   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post

Now its statements like these that get my pulse racing, or should I say drooling. Not sure if there are any Packard fans here but would love to hear about this and any other Packards. Please

DKG / Chhayanat / Karlos:
What is the scoop / provenance on these Hydearabad (or Secunderabad) Packards ? Pictures may have come from T-BHP (!) Looks like Gujarat registrations

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-hyderabad-collection-packard-194xs-original-gujarat-car-frt.jpg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-hyderabad-collection-packard-194xs-original-gujarat-car-rear.jpg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-hyderabad-collection-packard-mabe-late-1920s-original-gujarat-car.jpg
Old 4th May 2008, 22:14   #193
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DKG / Chhayanat / Karlos:
What is the scoop / provenance on these Hydearabad (or Secunderabad) Packards ? Pictures may have come from T-BHP (!) Looks like Gujarat registrations
The 1931 Packard Eight was a gift to an 18 year old son of a mill owner somewhere in Gujarat apparently. It was still with the family when the present owner (a well known collector) bought the car. Interestingly the present owner always stated this was a 1933 model. Didn't want to seem impertinent and correct him directly indicating such a grill graced Packard last in 1931!

The other is a 1940 Touring Limousine, riding on a massive 148 inch wheelbase chassis, also from Gujarat, don't know its history. But vaguely recall someone (the present owner?) mentioning it had a diesel and was driven down to Hyderabad. It now has a petrol eight. The same collector also has a 1941 Packard 160 convertible sedan apart from 60 odd other cars !!
Old 4th May 2008, 22:48   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The other is a 1940 Touring Limousine, riding on a massive 148 inch wheelbase chassis, also from Gujarat, don't know its history. But vaguely recall someone (the present owner?) mentioning it had a diesel and was driven down to Hyderabad. It now has a petrol eight.
The gentleman working in that office showed me around the garage. He did mention to me about the diesel engine story. Apparently the petrol engine was transported in the boot of the came car!
Old 5th May 2008, 00:29   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Chhayanat it is the Datia car and it is a 1934. It was with Manvendra Singh and later went to Goenkas. Manvendra told me he regretted selling this car.
I attach web pictures of two Packards which this car most resembled. It was almost exactly the colour of the cream one but seemed to have the build of the darker car. Of course, its forty years since I last saw it and memories do fade. Trying to get more information about the owner/s from those who might know. Should there be a positive reply, I shall post the details.
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-packard-super8_1935.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-packard-super8_1937.jpg  

Most Viewed