Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2008, 10:33   #196
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhayanat View Post
I attach web pictures of two Packards which this car most resembled. It was almost exactly the colour of the cream one but seemed to have the build of the darker car. Of course, its forty years since I last saw it and memories do fade. Trying to get more information about the owner/s from those who might know. Should there be a positive reply, I shall post the details.
Notice the way the fender meets the floor board on the dark car, as opposed to a flowing fender blending into the floorboard of the ivory. This happened in 1938. If the car you remember seeing was like this then its a 1938 convertible coupe. Again only for 1938 senior Packards had different bodies (larger wheelbase) from the junior Packards. For 1939 both senior and junior cars shared the same body. Only the V12 in 1939 had the body like the 38 in the dark coloured car picture. Also 1935 and 36 had a sloping back without a protruding trunk as found in the 37 onward models

The ivory looks like a 1936 tourer, assuming there's a slight slant of the grill (can't tell clearly from the picture) A verticle grill would make it a 1935

Again there was a rumble seat coupe and a 5 passenger victoria. I wonder what your "cream Packard" was. Thanks for making an effort to find out details of the car. Regardless of which it was the senior convertible coupes were among the most flamboyant Packards built. Beautiful proportions despite being massive cars.

Last edited by DKG : 5th May 2008 at 10:39.
Old 5th May 2008, 11:10   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Notice the way the fender meets the floor board on the dark car, as opposed to a flowing fender blending into the floorboard of the ivory. This happened in 1938.
I believe Dutch Darrin was responsible for that?
Old 5th May 2008, 11:53   #198
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I believe Dutch Darrin was responsible for that?
I wouldn't know. It was however a carry over of the 120's fender design to the senior bodies.
Old 7th May 2008, 11:03   #199
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Note from Mod - The following 6 posts have been moved from this thread > http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post822645

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Anyway, here is a young Maharaja of Kapurthala (circa 1891) on a similar trike
I am in the know of a very interesting story about a certain difficulty His portly Highness encountered in private, and how they managed to solve it Do I have the public's permission to regale you all with it? as its

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th May 2008 at 10:47. Reason: Note
Old 7th May 2008, 14:45   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am in the know of a very interesting story about a certain difficulty His portly Highness encountered in private, and how they managed to solve it Do I have the public's permission to regale you all with it? as its
Yes please, it should be really interesting! No names of course!!
Old 7th May 2008, 15:45   #201
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Yes please, it should be really interesting! No names of course!!
Ahh! as I have an ok from a distinguished gentlemen here it is.

Legend has it that His Highness was as a teenager on the heavier side and soon the palace was agog with stories of His Highness not being able to perform in the bedroom as his tummy was coming in the way!

So the senior courtesan was summoned and given instructions to solve the problem. She tried unsuccessfully and was perplexed as to how she would save her skin as the future of the kingdon was at stake.

One fine evening as she was gazing out the window she noticed some palace elephants in the yard and she wondered how the elephants managed to do it. She quickly summoned the head keeper and on enquiry learnt that a certain incline was needed to facilitate the process. After apparently observing the elephants at it she had the master carpenter design a special bed with incline and lo and behold... that night the young prince triumphed!

So there you have it, somethings are best learnt from animals

Last edited by DKG : 7th May 2008 at 15:49.
Old 7th May 2008, 19:22   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ahh! as I have an ok from a distinguished gentlemen here it is.

Legend has it that His Highness was as a teenager on the heavier side and soon the palace was agog with stories of His Highness not being able to perform in the bedroom as his tummy was coming in the way!
There is another one: with sweet-meat vendors putting out all their delicious wares, just to tempt the young prince. They were confident however, that he would never be able to get off his trike (in those days Maharajas never had to pay - they helped themselves to what they fancied)

Last edited by travancore : 7th May 2008 at 19:23. Reason: typo
Old 7th May 2008, 22:03   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Speaking of 'miscellanous' cars owned by Royals, I just got reminded of this one car reading about the RR of the Raja of Pudhucottai in the link DKG gave in the other (Rolls royce) thread- at the end of this song you'll find a red 1960 Impala retractable top convertible, which, I'm told was owned by the very same Raja, who, surprisngly had it given out for quite a few tamil films on hire back in the day!

Anyone who could give more data on this car?

Old 9th May 2008, 00:22   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Notice the way the fender meets the floor board on the dark car, as opposed to a flowing fender blending into the floorboard of the ivory.
Beautiful proportions despite being massive cars.
Despite the passage of time, I can recall that there was no space for a rumble seat. I wish I had taken a picture. It was at school every day. Unfortunately, those were not the days of digital profligacy and picture manipulation on Photoshop. Besides, before the Vintage Car Rally of 1966-67 and the enthusiasm of Prof. NPW Moore of Imperial College London (then on secondment to the CSIR), there was hardly any realisation that these cars were exceptional: witness the Willys Overland Whippet in the Ghasiarimandi area of Lucknow, frequently used for vegetable delivery. Offhand one recalls several Alvis cars, an Armstrong Siddeley, a 1911 Renault (Raja HND Singh of Oel); a Perry from 1916 (Shailendra Prasad), and two Model Ts. I notice one or two of the Lucknow MGs on this site.
3. Incidentally, no response so far from the "august personage who should know" about the cream Packard in Lucknow.
4. This should go offline, but which is the correct thread for a 1930s Chevrolet about to be delivered to its owner in the coalfields?
5. I notice Julian has shifted some Gurney Nutting RRs to the main RR thread. Should I follow suit with the remainder? Grateful if someone could advise, offline if necessary.
Old 9th May 2008, 03:25   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhayanat View Post
a Perry from 1916 (Shailendra Prasad)

I notice Julian has shifted some Gurney Nutting RRs to the main RR thread. Should I follow suit with the remainder?
I know that a 1916ish Perry (which became Bean) came to Delhi from Lucknow in the 90s and is safely kept in a Delhi collection. I remember going to see it about 1990 after seeing the Hispano-Suiza there. A Stoewer from the same place has also joined the same Delhi collection. In Lucknow, along with the Perry and the Stoewer, was a 70s? club racer type (similar to Lotus 7) maybe a Ford engine with twin Weber carbs. I can't remember what it was exactly.

Please do shift any Rolls Royce photos to the Rolls Royce thread lest they be lost along with all the other images that are daily becoming inaccessible in the depths of this site as valuable image threads have unfortunately not been made "sticky" threads despite some... requests. Save what you can in your PC according to your interests before they disappear.
What is needed here are "sticky threads" of, probably never again gatherable in one place, images of India's heritage of "interesting vintage cars"

Last edited by Julian UK : 9th May 2008 at 03:28.
Old 9th May 2008, 03:35   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Please do shift any Rolls Royce photos to the Rolls Royce thread lest they be lost along with all the other images that are daily becoming inaccessible in the depths of this site as valuable image threads have unfortunately not been made "sticky" threads despite some... requests. Save what you can in your PC according to your interests before they disappear.
What is needed here are "sticky threads" of, probably never again gatherable in one place, images of India's heritage of "interesting vintage cars"
Absolutely agree with Chhayanat and Julian. Let us please consolidate similar items in one place; and yes let us try to archive these rare images and make them accessible and "findable"!!! Cheers
Old 9th May 2008, 06:39   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Check this site out (Julian) and the rest of the BHP gang. Some pretty cool documentary movie clips from the 1920's and 1930's. This particular one shows the Maharaja of Jhalawar checking out "British Cars" and at Brooklands.

Just discovered this site, I am sure they have more interesting stuff !

ShotList NonDigitised - ITNSource=

ShotList NonDigitised - ITNSource=
Old 9th May 2008, 08:17   #208
Senior - BHPian

I enjoy fine old cars but......

I love to look at finely crafted old cars. But I can not get too excited about the wealth of the Maharajas especially since often it came directly from the British. That they tweaked the British nose once in awhile over trifling matters seems inconsequenial in light of their collusion with the British.

Taken literally, I am wondering why anyone would think it is important how rich the Maharajas were. They and the British did a pretty good job exploiting the common Indian man. Is it supposed to be a source of Indian pride how rich they were or how fine their automobiles were? Why? I would think that it would be more a source of national embarrassment that they were tolerated for so long.
Old 9th May 2008, 09:10   #209
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

sure dirty dan - i agree with you. AND instead of "tugging my forelock" and "bowing", as is typical of many of us, I AM saying the things below though they are a bit off topic.

usually the source of their untold wealth was by way of more and more arbitrary and unfair taxes being heaped on the head of the poor common man, or via bribery by the Brits, to cause dissidence in the ranks reinforcing the divide and rule policy etc.

So indeed, while the poor local people sometimes were forced into deep deprivation and sometimes even starvation, the Maharajahs indulged their passion for horse racing, fancy cars, pretty baubles of jewellery etc from Aspreys and Cartier, Country life in England or whatever took their fancy.

Also lets remember that at the root of the foundations of most large fortunes/ royal houses/ aristocratic lineages etc, there usually was a hard living, ruthless, raiding, piratical sort of privateer, who typically founded the family fortunes!

Just take the examples of the Mandarins of China as an example, or closer home, the Mughal Dynasty and any other aristocratic/ royal family (if you look far enough back up their family trees) . Even the great Sir Ranjit Sinhji (from whom we get the Ranji Trophy), was too busy playing cricket in England to worry too much about the great Famine which took place in his province at the time!

Or even the much touted English aristocracy - simply watch the movie "Becket" and you ll see some rather raw edges amongst the knights and earls whose foibles otherwise are beautifully veiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I love to look at finely crafted old cars. But I can not get too excited about the wealth of the Maharajas especially since often it came directly from the British. That they tweaked the British nose once in awhile over trifling matters seems inconsequenial in light of their collusion with the British.

Taken literally, I am wondering why anyone would think it is important how rich the Maharajas were. They and the British did a pretty good job exploiting the common Indian man. Is it supposed to be a source of Indian pride how rich they were or how fine their automobiles were? Why? I would think that it would be more a source of national embarrassment that they were tolerated for so long.
Old 9th May 2008, 10:23   #210
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Watch the tone. Personal attacks or referring to any member in a derogatory tone is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Your points can be put across in an unprovoking manner too.

We advise you to read our board rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 9th May 2008 at 11:16. Reason: Watch your language.

Most Viewed