Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2008, 22:35   #241
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey DKG, the material for the car is under the picture.
Old 19th July 2008, 22:40   #242
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
The car was originally fitted with a Hooper Landaulette body planned to be exported to India. Plans changed, and the car was sent to New York City and into the care of Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt. On a voyage from New York to Liverpool aboard the Lusitania, the ship was attacked by a German U-Boat and sank in less than 20 minutes.
When "plans changed" the body was taken off and this torpedo tourer body fitted to Vanderbilt's order?

When the Lusitania sank who went down with it? Vanderbilt? Obviously not the car as its seen in the picture in recent times?
Old 19th July 2008, 23:05   #243
BHPian

Shame it never came to India
Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost, 1913 Silver Ghost | Conceptcarz.com - Pictures, Pricing, Information, Wallpaper, History
Old 4th August 2008, 19:36   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veesixteen View Post
May I add photos of your scale-model Orccha V-16 to the "Toys" section of the Cadillac Database. What was the construction medium? How did you decide on a colour scheme?

Right now, my wife and I are in Europe, until September 8, 2008. So the additions to the Database could not be made before then.

Non
__________________________________________________ _________
You absolutely have my permission to add the pictures to your database (I assume that is the Cadillac database car-nection). I had tried to get the original colour scheme from Pininfarina, but they have no records.

The car is currently painted in the cream and blue colour scheme; and I think the book "Automobiles of the Maharajas" also refers to it.

The car was converted from a 1/25 scale Johan phaeton. The boattail is carved from a balsa block and the front fender (mud guard) is modified from a Duesenberg rear fender. Balsa wedges were attached and shaped to from the rear fender

Last edited by travancore : 4th August 2008 at 19:39. Reason: added model description
Old 23rd August 2008, 11:09   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

A Minerva surfaces (or more likely to be one previously discussed) on an orkut album.

http://www.orkut.co.in/AlbumZoom.asp...=1211641823774

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-36.jpg

Also featured is this curio. Looks like a toy/pedal car, but is pretty large to be one.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-37.jpg
Old 23rd August 2008, 11:15   #246
Team-BHP Support

1926 Daimler 45hp formerly owned by the Maharaja of Rewa with an interesting history transcript at the Blackhawk Car Museum Danville California:
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-picture-1078-medium.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-picture-1079-medium.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-picture-1080-medium.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-picture-1081-medium.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-picture-1082-medium.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-picture-1083-medium.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-picture-1084-medium.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-picture-1085-medium.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-picture-1086-medium.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-picture-1087-medium.jpg  

Old 23rd August 2008, 11:43   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A Minerva surfaces (or more likely to be one previously discussed) on an orkut album.
it is the same Minerva discussed. it used to be Royal blue and was supposed to be Brown with the ornaments in gold. but i am shocked to see it in this colour. i had seen it when the work had started and was told of the combination that i mentioned. purple and gold i cant digest it .
Old 24th August 2008, 17:38   #248
Senior - BHPian

came across this 1935 BMW 328 Sports it was being restored and it should be complete by now. this is an ex Gwalior car
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-scan0030.jpg  

Old 24th August 2008, 22:58   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
came across this 1935 BMW 328 Sports it was being restored and it should be complete by now. this is an ex Gwalior car
Very exciting to see one of these around; lovely photo speedy, thanks. However, didn't the BMW 328 come into production in 1936?
Old 25th August 2008, 00:13   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Very exciting to see one of these around; lovely photo speedy, thanks. However, didn't the BMW 328 come into production in 1936?
this is what is written at the back of the Picture and was told to my brother by a collector and historian, who was restoring this car.Maybe the year got written wrong. the 328 technically came into production in 1937 according to the arcticle. 1935 and 1936 were spent toying and improviseing the 319 to create the 328.
you can read further here.
BMW Car Club, Norway

Last edited by speedy : 25th August 2008 at 00:15.
Old 27th August 2008, 13:34   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Some observations from Harit on the BMW.

Quote:
The picture is nice, it is a rare car, but the text is almost totally wrong.
1) Year - already discussed.
2) BMW - This is not a BMW, it is a Fraser Nash BMW. There is a difference.
3) It is not under restoration, it is like this since 1978 when I took a picture of it the first time. It is missing its head, you see and this has not been sourced. In fact recently there was a private event where this car was displayed as it is. I will try to locate and post this picture after 9th Sept. as I will be travelling.
4) Nothing to do with Gwalior, before writing this I spoke to Barwani. He suspected Bhopal, and then mentioned that there used to be a car like this in Nagpur. So I could tell him that this is the Nagpur car because my friend Vohra had bought it from there. Then it passed on to Indore. And the guy in Nagpur had a delicious Mercedes which I suspect may have gone to Kolkotta, but I am not sure.
I believe that there is a second such car in India, some years ago it was advertised for sale. Memory is not clear, but it could have been Kolkotta and a Sardar was the owner
Old 27th August 2008, 14:19   #252
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Wow what a stunner. Has anyone seen it after its been finished?
Old 27th August 2008, 21:59   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Some observations from Harit on the BMW.
i could be wrong but this picture is taken at Manvendra uncles place itself and this is what he had told my brother and hence for record written behind the picture.
Old 28th August 2008, 12:09   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

An older picture of most likely the same car.

Quote:
Pic of Fraser Nash BMW when my friend purchased. This was is an open shed in Thane. There was still colour on the car. I have a better pic, can't find at the moment. Even bonnet strap is on.
Before we get comments, yes MG is in the foreground, probably gone to Bangalore, now no news.
Harit
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-01a.jpg  

Old 29th August 2008, 03:47   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

An interesting snippet from the web regarding Fraser Nash BMW's and India: (source:http://www.bmwroadster.com/html_history.htm)

"328 Was longer in the strap down bonnet and had a narrower radiator grill pushed further forward. The headlamps were built into the wings. The spare wheel moved to the tail section. No bumpers. It weighed 1,828lbs. The 326 engine was modified in the 328 and was a 2-litre 6-cylinder. The cylinder heads had the valves in a V-configuration. The engine had 3 solex 30 down draught carburettors with seperate air cleaners. The cylinder heads were made of cast aluminum. Fitted in front of the radiator was the oil cooler. Compression ratio was 7.5:1. It had a 96mm stroke engine which allowed the 328 to rev to 5000rpm. It's top speed was 93 mph. Hydraulic shock absorbers were present as well as hydraulic brakes with drums 280mm. The steering wheel was 16 inches with 5-bolt fixings. The tank in the rear held 50-litres with an optional 100-litre fuel tank available. 461 328's were built from 1936 - 1940. 42 Sold in Britian. 1 Went to India as well as 1 going to the U.S.A. (both delivered by Frazer Nash-BMW). 7 Were in chassis form exported to the UK."

An added India connection for Fraser Nash: (source: http://archive.cravenherald.co.uk/2000/1/26/157311.html)

" But one of the best-known names to tackle the scar was Captain Archie Frazer-Nash.
Despite the Hooray Henry name, and the fact he was a son of the Raj, born in India in 1889, Frazer-Nash was not some dilettante playboy-racer.
The family returned to London from India around the turn of the century, and Archie's mother was one of the first women to qualify as a doctor. She had practised in India._

Last edited by travancore : 29th August 2008 at 03:54. Reason: Added quotation marks and new info

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks