Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2009, 23:36   #331
Senior - BHPian

So are they both the same car or two different cars ???
Old 16th May 2009, 12:37   #332
BHPian

Hi all,
can anyone please provide me the link for downloading "The Automobiles Of Maharajas" in PDF format; written by Manvendra Singh ???

Regards,
Hrishikesh
Old 17th May 2009, 19:33   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
Hi all,
can anyone please provide me the link for downloading "The Automobiles Of Maharajas" in PDF format; written by Manvendra Singh ???

Regards,
Hrishikesh
Dude I dont think thats legal, its a clear violation of copyright laws to covert a book into pdf and then post it for download. You wont find this kind of stuff on this website.
Old 17th May 2009, 19:58   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Dude I dont think thats legal, its a clear violation of copyright laws to covert a book into pdf and then post it for download. You wont find this kind of stuff on this website.
Yup. They are actually selling copies. I got a good deal buying it from Albris. Good luck.

Fantastic book to have. I was a bit dissapointed as I was actually expecting it to document the cars that belonged to each Royal family in the form of seperate chapters.
Old 18th May 2009, 11:37   #335
BHPian

re: Book "Automobile of the Maharajas"

I find one nice print at Hyd prominent book shop for Rs. 3500/= last year.
I was expecting lot of coverage of Nizam's car in the book, but covered briefly mostly the contents is of North India. But still it is good informative peace of history.
Old 19th May 2009, 04:31   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Unless you go to Google books where it appears that anything goes. I have found copies of lots books which I guess are still covered by some form of copyright.
Amazon dot com have millions of titles listed on site for sale including used books and this is the first place to look when trying to find an obscure book. i had a collection of cherished car books that i had spent 40 years collecting and it wasn't until the lot got stolen in 2000 that I found that the value was many many times the insurance cover I had on them. This is because car books in general are very low volume in print and often go out of print quickly. Low volume means big demand and so on and so forth.
Old 19th May 2009, 10:28   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
Unless you go to Google books where it appears that anything goes. I have found copies of lots books which I guess are still covered by some form of copyright.
Amazon dot com have millions of titles listed on site for sale including used books and this is the first place to look when trying to find an obscure book. i had a collection of cherished car books that i had spent 40 years collecting and it wasn't until the lot got stolen in 2000 that I found that the value was many many times the insurance cover I had on them. This is because car books in general are very low volume in print and often go out of print quickly. Low volume means big demand and so on and so forth.
What Google books and Amazon are doing amongst others is to sell copies of various books. They could be new or used out of print or current editions.

But what they are not doing is selling or permitting downloads of scanned or electronic versions of said books. This is perfectly legal and a boon to us enthuseasts who are looking for obscure titles.

Kindle on the other hand is a device which is designed to let the user read books in an electronic format. Not all books are available in this manner but those that are are authorised by the publisher / author. Again a very legal practice.

Now scanning and offering downloads of such scanned litrature is a violation of copyright laws in any country. Not a practice to be condoned or sought on this forum.
Old 4th June 2009, 14:42   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Some absolutely stunning period photographs of Baroda.

Picasa Web Albums - Raphae - 1920s Baroda ...

Unfortunately no cars, but a couple of photos of carriages and a spiffy plane can be seen.
Old 7th June 2009, 15:19   #339
Senior - BHPian

There is an article on a Horsch ex-Bharatpur in the May issue of Auto India. According to the article, this car left India in 1933/34. Now in Australia and soon the be auctioned. Go buy/borrow the issue and read the article.

Cheers harit
Old 7th June 2009, 16:54   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
There is an article on a Horsch ex-Bharatpur in the May issue of Auto India. According to the article, this car left India in 1933/34. Now in Australia and soon the be auctioned. Go buy/borrow the issue and read the article.

Cheers harit
Is it light / sky blue with black fenders. If so I have posted pics of this car somewhere in this thread.

BTW its Horch

WA
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:20   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

A nice shot of a Mercedes 180 can be seen here. Not a royal car, but a state car nonetheless.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1396859-post414.html
Old 4th August 2009, 04:19   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Vintage Maharaja Cars

Check out this Vanity Fair Story (and all 18 pictures) - it is worth it.
A Vroom of Their Own | vanityfair.com

Also wish if we could get to see some of these pictures in Mr.Bhogilal's collection (only car I can positively identify is the ex-Rajkot Chrysler Airflow; and maybe the Nawanagar Lanchester he is holding). Also looks like a Bentley Speed Six / 6.5 Ltr towards the bottom right corner (black car)

source: Vanity Fair (picture cropped)
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-bhogilal-vintage-car-pictures-large.jpg
Old 4th August 2009, 08:03   #343
Team-BHP Support

The Maharajah's did not just stick to cars, some went ahead and got themselves planes as well. As seen below from a flight magazine dating back to 1910, the Maharajah of Patiala's Lane-Farman biplane:
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-farman.jpg  

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th August 2009 at 08:04.
Old 4th August 2009, 10:44   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The Maharajah's did not just stick to cars, some went ahead and got themselves planes as well. As seen below from a flight magazine dating back to 1910, the Maharajah of Patiala's Lane-Farman biplane:
The ruler of Idar was known to be a keen aviator, which is probably what made him purchase a Farman car as well.
Old 4th August 2009, 13:59   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Check out this Vanity Fair Story (and all 18 pictures) - it is worth it.
A Vroom of Their Own | vanityfair.com

Also wish if we could get to see some of these pictures in Mr.Bhogilal's collection (only car I can positively identify is the ex-Rajkot Chrysler Airflow; and maybe the Nawanagar Lanchester he is holding). Also looks like a Bentley Speed Six / 6.5 Ltr towards the bottom right corner (black car)

source: Vanity Fair (picture cropped)
Attachment 169437

They are pictures of Mr.Bhogilals cars and it is he who is holding the picture with he daughter seated to the left.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks